Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2020, 15:25   #46
BHPian

Re: The story of my little hatch! Ford Figo 1.5 TDCI with Code 6 remap & Eibach lowering springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am surprised that you had black smoke on the stock map. Either the air filter was partially clogged or the fuel quality was bad. I never experienced black smoke on full throttle on my Aspire when it was stock. In fact it began when I had the Code6 map.
I agree that the engine gets smoother and quieter and the thrust once the turbo kicks is addictive with Code6.
But that was because of excess fuelling which showed in the fuel efficiency figures.
Now with a Wolf Moto map, there is hardly any smoke except when the turbo is kicking in.

I didn't understand what you meant by updating the combustion ratio.

Alnac4g's are good all around tyres for their price. I've pushed them on corners and hard braking and they hold. The only time I felt I needed better tyres were when I do a standing start.

Were the dampers replaced too along with the coil springs?

Happy driving the pocket rocket.
Hello Tharian,

Yes, the amount of black smoke in the stock tune was too high. Upon checking with ford, came to know that this is common for all cars. have cleaned the air filter and i always used to see black smoke clouds in my rear-view mirror while flooring the car. I have seen the same issue with couple of BS4 Freestyle's and Figo's of 2019 Batch.

Combustion ratio is a typo from my end and what I actually meant to say is corrected air to fuel ratio. Sorry for that!

No, the car is running on stock dampers. Only the springs have replaced.

Thank you for your comments. wishing you more happy miles with your Rubicon.
joe_lightspeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 10:50   #47
BHPian

Re: The story of my little hatch! Ford Figo 1.5 TDCI with Code 6 remap & Eibach lowering springs

Diesels always tend to emit black smoke especially when they are driven mostly sedately and then ripped once in a while. This is because soot settles along the exhaust during normal usage and the occasional pressure increase while on load pushes all this black stuff out. Keep ripping intentionally once in a while and the apparent black smoke really reduces. Of course this does not apply to vehicles with a DPF installed. My X1 diesel does not emit a single wisp of smoke even while standing on the A pedal and the exhaust tips have zero soot deposits just like a petrol engine.
My i20 before and after the Code6 map used to emit and still emits a substantial amount of black smoke under load. I am not a person who usually drives enthusiastically. The whole purpose of my remap was to improve the existing characteristics of the engine. In fact I believe seeing black smoke is safer (assuming the air supply is proper) than white smoke because that could be a sign of some hardware failure or a screwed up remap.
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 19:23   #48
BHPian

Hey Joe,

Congratulations on your latest acquisition!

I also happen to own this little ford and has kept it stock till date barring the quick tire swap I did on day 1. Mine came fitted with Alnacs but traded them for XM2. This was 2017.

I found heavy black smoke while getting the pollution check done. The guy at the bunk floored multiple times and that was probably the first instance I noticed this much smoke.

The car is still running on extended warranty and hence having second thoughts on going in for remap.

Your thoughts !
Old 11th June 2020, 10:52   #49
BHPian

Re: The story of my little hatch! - Ford Figo 1.5 TDCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_lightspeed View Post
Photo of the Figo S mentioned aboveAttachment 2011452
Attachment 2011453
[/center]
I think I've seen this Figo in my area - Guruvayur. I distinctively remember seeing this. First thing I noticed was it's alloys. Really eye catching wheels.

Isn't it KL46 reg? I think it is, if I remember correctly. Couldn't stop to see the plate completely.

Also, don't you get auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers and auto dimming irvms with T blu? Imo that makes up for the 70k difference.

Last edited by SaiSW : 11th June 2020 at 10:56.
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:45   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Good review. I have done a remap on my i20 CRDi from Code6. The map performed very well and the vehicle felt really different and effortless to drive. After driving it for a year like so, I wanted to go one step further in modding and got a full exhaust system custom built from Code6 from the turbocharger downwards. Design of the exhaust was their recommendation. Good news was that this further noticeably enhanced the low end torque and it does not feel like a heavy i20 anymore for the most part. FE also remains unhit. But somehow the new exhaust has cost me performance in the upper end of the rev band. The car 'lost' about 10kph of it's top speed (in 5th and 6th gears) and feels decidedly strained above 4k rpm towards 5k rpm which is the red line in all gears. I have still not gotten around to figuring what's the bottleneck in the upper revv bands, but long story short; Code6 does a good job but maybe they lack enough practical experience with the wider market to foresee issues like what I have described.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Diesels always tend to emit black smoke especially when they are driven mostly sedately and then ripped once in a while. This is because soot settles along the exhaust during normal usage and the occasional pressure increase while on load pushes all this black stuff out. Keep ripping intentionally once in a while and the apparent black smoke really reduces. Of course this does not apply to vehicles with a DPF installed. My X1 diesel does not emit a single wisp of smoke even while standing on the A pedal and the exhaust tips have zero soot deposits just like a petrol engine.
My i20 before and after the Code6 map used to emit and still emits a substantial amount of black smoke under load. I am not a person who usually drives enthusiastically. The whole purpose of my remap was to improve the existing characteristics of the engine. In fact I believe seeing black smoke is safer (assuming the air supply is proper) than white smoke because that could be a sign of some hardware failure or a screwed up remap.
Guys, sorry for my delayed response.

Hi Alphahere, Sorry to hear that you're facing issues post remap. I've got less technical clue on your cars issue.

I had discussed with my friend who is now handling remaps at C6. he had asked me to share his contact number to you and I’ll share you that via PM. he can surely help you with the issue. Also, thanks for sharing your experience of having a diesel exhaust upgrade and that’s a lesson to me. Currently I have plans to replace the air-filter and I’ll be checking with some experts before upgrading the down pipe. I have no plans of having a custom-built exhaust for diesel engine, as I personally don’t like the way it sounds compared to a petrol motor. Many thanks for your comments and hope my friend can help you solve the issue with your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Tourer View Post
Hey Joe,
Congratulations on your latest acquisition!
I also happen to own this little ford and has kept it stock till date barring the quick tire swap I did on day 1. Mine came fitted with Alnacs but traded them for XM2. This was 2017.
I found heavy black smoke while getting the pollution check done. The guy at the bunk floored multiple times and that was probably the first instance I noticed this much smoke.
The car is still running on extended warranty and hence having second thoughts on going in for remap.
Your thoughts !
Thank you for reading the review, Gran Tourer. Remaps are not easily identified and its possible to switch back to stock map if you come across any warranty related issues. Also, if you’re happy with the car’s performance in stock tune, it is possible to close the EGR valve using software without remapping the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I think I've seen this Figo in my area - Guruvayur. I distinctively remember seeing this. First thing I noticed was it's alloys. Really eye catching wheels.
Isn't it KL46 reg? I think it is, if I remember correctly. Couldn't stop to see the plate completely.
Also, don't you get auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers and auto dimming irvms with T blu? Imo that makes up for the 70k difference.
Hello, SaiSW.
My colleague is from Calicut and the car is KL-34 Registered. The Black coloured Figo S is not too common, and it is an eye-catcher with its dual tone exterior and the wheels.

Auto-dimming IRVM's and wipers are useful, auto headlamps are not necessary for me. but there are some features I personally didn't like such the blacked-out grille, Blue coloured accents inside out, decals, Blu logo on the seats, same (5.5J) rims from the aspire painted in black. Also, the car lacks Sync 3. As you've already said, the Blu trim is VFM for the added 70k. Still the titanium looked good to me, served all my requirements and I could use the extra money into the area of performance.

Last edited by joe_lightspeed : 23rd June 2020 at 21:46. Reason: typo
joe_lightspeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 08:35   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_lightspeed View Post
Hello, SaiSW.
My colleague is from Calicut and the car is KL-34 Registered. The Black coloured Figo S is not too common, and it is an eye-catcher with its dual tone exterior and the wheels.
Hello, I think the dual tone is an option from the factory, but could you tell me whether the rims are sourced from somewhere else? It seems they have Ford branding. I've never seen a rim like that on a figo facelift except the one time I mentioned. I had seen a car exactly like your friend's, which is why I mistook it for that.

Last edited by SaiSW : 25th June 2020 at 08:37.
Old 4th August 2020, 08:42   #52
BHPian

Real good review! I really liked what you have done with the car. The slightest of tweaks resulting into some great ride quality. I also decided to go for figo titanium trim after my research I did, which led me to Team-BHP. Really looking forward to drive this beauty.
Old 5th September 2020, 01:14   #53

@joe_lightspeed Influenced by you I too grabbed a set of freestyle rims as soon as got an opportunity. I had made up my mind to go for momo revenge. But after seeing your pics got convinced that freestyle rims look good, more on figo than freestyle (my opinion). Also they cost me quite a lot less than four brand new momo revenges. Finally today I got the tyres. Went for Yokohama s drive 195 55 R15. Initial impressions from limited driving are good.
PS; Please excuse the dirty car.
Attached Thumbnails
The story of my little hatch! Ford Figo 1.5 TDCI with Code 6 remap & Eibach lowering springs-img_20200905_011000.jpg  

@dr_figo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:58   #54
BHPian

Freestyle stabiliser bar in Figo

I reckon Freestyle has a stiffer stabiliser bar (anti-roll bar) than Figo and thinking of putting it in my Figo.
Has anyone tried it?
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 14:19   #55
BHPian

Really nice writeup and detailed incremental updates. I am looking to buy a Figo even after the recent news about Mahindra-Ford JV not taking place. Going for a test drive today and will compare it with Altroz Diesel as well. Will keep everyone posted and hopefully will write about my ownership experience.
Old 25th July 2021, 17:24   #56

Hello Joe, I am planning to remap my Ford Figo TDCi in the near future. Considering code6 and wolf moto, how was your long term experience with code6 map? How would you recommend code6 ?

Would be helpful to finalise the tuner. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks