Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 15:03   #31

Re: Final remarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftain View Post
Conclusion
There is surely an element of truth to that, but in fact the Honda Jazz actually has my mark of approval. I would not even hesitate to recommend it to someone considering a car in this segment (unless they are looking for something fun, then go Polo). Especially if it is to be an only, primary or beater car (like most buyers in this segment) because it's hard to go wrong with such a car.
hello all,

Another update, a happy one.

We finally booked our Honda Jaxx, ZX, CVT Petrol yesterday. The first dealer did not bother to get back to us with any new offers. He did call us a few times but just to inform us whether we are still interested without actually telling what he can do for us.

We went to another dealer then. These guys were aggressive and impressive. After the initial standard discussions the first positive indication was when the first cashback (old car) offer was 30K more than the last offer from the other dealer. When we told them we are serious buyers AND are looking for the highest variant AND are owners of another Honda they went back into a huddle. Net-Net we got an additional 70K discount. I also managed to get an additional 5K discount on my other Honda's music system which I plan to upgrade.

However they were super aggressive as well and wanted the signing amount (cheque) immediately. We managed to bring down the excitement and asked them for another 24 hours. Since my kids had not seen the car at all we wanted them to experience the TD. We took them to the dealer the next day. The young one gave an instant YES when she saw the sunroof. The teenager though was indifferent. Expected. So we got the approval from family.

The decision to make this purchase was done on these points:
1- Our existing 3 year old Hyundai Grand i10, Auto, Top End is a petrol guzzler. We needed a replacement.
2- Honda's reliability. I already own another Honda.
3- The car is well loaded with features.
4- Spacious, i mean its a no-brainer in this dept
5- Safety wise, as safe as Kushaq, S-Cross (wink). On a serious note, ticks my boxes, NCAP rating is very good
6- Car is mainly for wife, both of us are not aggressive drivers. Strictly below 100Kmph even on highways. So suits our driving behaviour
7- Suits for medium range (200km radius) travels.
8- Sunroof (Mainly for kid)

The super impressive Critical Review (Critical Initial Review : Honda Jazz) helped me for sure.

Thank you Team-bhp and Chieftain for your review

Best Regards,
-TheCapri
thecapri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 22:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Index
Dear reader, I'm not quite done bothering you just yet. Data is all the rage these days. I haven't much to offer but some stuff which would be useful for prospective owners.
Dear chieftain, thank you for this wonderful review. The humour was on point and I enjoyed reading it throughout. Your coolness quotient is bound to go up once people notice that you've named your mobile 'Cool iPhone'. I'm guessing a lot of thought went into that.

I'm about to book the Jazz CVT this week and if you have the time, please pass on the same advice you gave to di1in to negotiate with the dealers. Looking forward to more such reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapri View Post
Net-Net we got an additional 70K discount. I also managed to get an additional 5K discount on my other Honda's music system which I plan to upgrade.
-TheCapri
Congratulations on your new ride. I too did my research and none of the other hatchbacks offer as much cabin space or boot space as the Jazz does. The AC is a sore point but I've lived with the Brio and I'll make do with the Jazz. The discounts you were able to get sound promising. If you have any pointers please do share or DM. Thanks and wish you well.

Last edited by silentstorm : 18th October 2021 at 22:59.
silentstorm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 16:27   #33

Re: Critical Initial Review : Honda Jazz

Sorry for the late response. Not sure if this will help.
But the main reasons i was able to get additional discounts are the following:
1- I have another Honda
2- I chose the highest variant
3- Told them that if discount is given i will book it the same day ( i booked it the next day though)
4- The sales team were (appeared to) also under some pressure to meet their targets and the sales guy told us that Honda is putting them in an awkward situation. No major news of any "new" car launches and actually discontinuing Brio, CRV and BRV.
Old 21st February 2022, 14:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
hello - quick update
Had been to the showroom and did a TD. The car is good. Ticks all my checkboxes. Space, Power, looks, safety, instrumentation. The AC was Ok (saw some feedback about it in earlier threads).
Low power during overtaking is well supported by the paddle shifters.

I am looking for a ZX version with an onroad (ALL inclusive) is 11.7. my budget post current car buyback is upto 6L. Right now i am negotiating with the sales team to give me a decent buyback. My expectation is 5.25 but they can extend upto 4.5. This will be followed by discounts.

I may have to drop the idea unless sales come back. However i must say without a doubt that the car is really good. Nothing fancy but a good solid car which satisfies all needs of a family car.

Regards,
-TheCapri
Hi Capri, did you make the purchase finally? I too am in Pune and is currently in a suitable car shortlisting phase for my parents. I could use some of your feedback on this process as my requirements too are similar to yours.
Old 4th March 2022, 00:09   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
Hi Capri, did you make the purchase finally? I too am in Pune and is currently in a suitable car shortlisting phase for my parents. I could use some of your feedback on this process as my requirements too are similar to yours.

Hello https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/strider24.html - Yes i did make a purchase in August 2021. I have added the details in this post

Quote:
hello all,
Another update, a happy one.

We finally booked our Honda Jaxx, ZX, CVT Petrol yesterday. The first dealer did not bother to get back to us with any new offers. He did call us a few times but just to inform us whether we are still interested without actually telling wh
Regards,
TheCapri
Old 4th March 2022, 16:52   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Hello https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/strider24.html - Yes i did make a purchase in August 2021. I have added the details in this post

Regards,
TheCapri
Hi Capri,

Is it possible to give the breakup of discount you got? if not here then may be on a direct message?

I want to explore the potential cost heads where I could push the dealer for discounts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th March 2022, 16:26   #37
BHPian

Update: March 5, 2022 (5097km)

Hello all,

Bad news: I’m back!

Sorry I haven’t been particularly diligent responding to this thread. I’m kinda navigating a sea of exams, assignments, lab reports, and projects (engineering is not for the faint at heart). But be sure that I see and appreciate all the love on this thread. Thank you all very much.

So what brings me here? Well, sometime last year (on the car’s second anniversary), it occurred to me that I’m somewhat obliged to follow up on this review. But the thing is, the Jazz is a very reliable and boring car, and one that isn’t particularly in high demand at that. As such, I didn’t think it to be deserving of an update. More cynically, I didn’t think there was enough to write about. So, life kept on keeping on.

A few months later, around the anniversary of the review, the idea struck me again. But, this was unfortunately timed– smack in the middle of my mid-semester examinations. But alas, terminal laziness had left me with a lot of material to cover for the exams. When I had the chance to think about it afterwards, the concept of update-unworthiness came back to me.

A blur later, we arrive at the present. March 5, 2022. A seemingly arbitrary date. Why am I writing this today? Well, it’s a long story that I will illustrate parallely to the update.

Updates

Things have changed a lot since I wrote that review. At risk of revealing or at least narrowing down my real identity on the internet (never a good idea): I am now a far more experienced driver– those were the nascent days of my motoring. Shortly prior to the review, the Jazz had shuttled me to the entrance exam hall– I’m in college now. We have suffered two more waves of the coronavirus. The car has run a couple thousand kilometers (a couple megameters?), been subject to a handful of dents (most thanks to yours truly), and various services and repairs. It’s now got leatherette seat covers, too.

Yet, despite all this environmental turmoil, the car remains exactly the same. I will not attach any pictures to this post to emphasize that fact. I don’t think the Jazz is significant enough for you to want to look at again anyway.

But that’s exactly the point.

On a meta level, this demonstrates its calling in life: to be a quirk-free appliance that you get in, go, get out of. And as you get out of it, the only thing that can make you look back is the one-sided, human connection you have to the dependable machine. Indeed, in a quasi-reverse psychology way, you look back because it doesn’t make you. Or, maybe because you’ve done a risky parking job.

Alright, perhaps it’s time for me to stop pretending to be literate. And perhaps I’m overselling the reliability– having run only 5000 kilometers in almost 3 years, maybe we have not given the Jazz a chance to fail. But, does it really matter? The point I’m trying to make is more that the behavior we’ve observed so far matched with the big H on the grill affords a lot of peace of mind.

Now, things haven’t been totally uneventful. The Jazz has indeed undergone a recall (faulty fuel pump), but taking it to the service center and checking out some nearby showrooms was a fun break from the monotony of online classes. And after one of the services, there was an issue where the front windshield would fog up very easily and irreversibly, with matters exacerbated by using the wipers. Either the service guys did a bad job of buffing off polish, or they accidentally polished the wipers. A follow-up helped matters, but did not entirely fix the issue. Perhaps due to the source drying up, the issue went away on its own. But the first issue is literally a recall. And the second is on the service center. So I won’t hold it against the Jazz.

All in all, things are going as expected. Which was expected. The AC has not been an issue. Cumulative fuel efficiency is still only creeping up on double-digits (9.9 as of this review).

Further thoughts

I’ve actually driven a substantial portion of those 5000 kms. Sometimes, it’s to give our dog a joyride. Or, it might be me going to play table tennis with my friends between covid waves. I often drive myself or my parents to run errands. I’ve also test driven a few other cars across various segments. Although I’m still a major noob, I can definitely give a much more nuanced perspective on the driving experience now.

The visibility out of the Jazz is something I’d like to emphasize a bit. After driving it through Delhi traffic a few times, I’ve really come to appreciate it. From the large glass area, to the well placed mirrors, to the height-adjustable seat, visibility is a big hit for the Jazz. Placing it in its lane and watching out for unscrupulous cut-offers is much easier in the Jazz than any other car I’ve driven.

About the dynamics, one interesting thing I noticed was that my time behind the Jazz wheel translated well to my TDs of the Harrier and Safari. I’m not sure if this is good on the Harrier/Safari or bad on the Jazz. To be fair, I didn’t push the TDs very much.

I still prefer hydraulic steering to electric. There’s certainly an uncanny lack of response from the steering wheel. And I surmise it’s probably safer to have that feedback. But I don’t think I dislike it as much as most other enthusiasts, at least as far as urban driving goes. It certainly smooths things out.

As covid waves have been dying out and variants becoming friendlier, my time behind the wheel has increased somewhat. For example, I’ve been shuttling myself to a long string of doctor appointments over the past week. But, I hadn’t really realized it until now. The remarkable thing about the Jazz is how unremarkable it is. I haven’t really thought much about the car, neither while driving it nor while it’s parked. Acceleration is poor but adequate for city driving. Controlling speed is convenient thanks to the CVT. It’s decently spacious and visibility is good. It's well planted on the highway. There aren’t any annoying vibrations or noises.

In conclusion

Perhaps through my review and comments earlier in this update, I’ve made it seem like the Jazz is something I’m emotionally attached to. I don’t think that’s quite true yet. In fact, I’m not sure if it ever will be. No more than appreciation and a mild sense of respect.

This ties in to the fact that there is, in fact, no significance of March 5. Just like the Jazz, today’s date is not remarkable. Rather, with coronavirus restrictions winding down, I’m going to be leaving my city to attend college in-person very soon. So, just for that, it’s now or never. It’s similar to the Jazz were it a person: it would know the precise number of laps you’ve done the sun should not be a significant factor in most decisions. It would also know that becoming attached to a car is totally irrational.

Writing this update gave me a chance to really think about what the Jazz means to me. At a high level, nothing at all. I haven’t had it long enough, or made enough memories in it, to care much about it. Nor is it interesting enough. But at a low level, I can’t help but ponder its impact on me. From being upset over scrapping the Polo to appreciating the Jazz for what it is, I think I’ve grown up a bit, unlike the Jazz. Reading over my original review, I can’t help but cringe at some of the things I’ve written– this “growth” with the constant reference of the Jazz. I certainly don't imply it's the reason, but surely the Jazz has contributed a little to my maturity. Maybe I am giving an automobile too much credit. Or maybe I’m actually just taking artistic liberty to make writing this lengthy text feel worthwhile. I’m not sure myself. But the no-nonsense nature of this vehicle must be appreciated.

Oh dear, I’ve gone rambling again. I do owe a TL;DR so you don’t have to read all that mess to get the low down. Basically, owning and operating the Jazz is a smooth experience, but not particularly cost effective. And I think I should probably try taking the challenge of making my next post hyper-objective and concise.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. I don’t think I’ll get away with being too lazy to take and upload a picture with the excuse of artistic liberty. Here it is in disco lights. Kind of amusing if you ask me.

Critical Initial Review : Honda Jazz-img_3041.jpg
Old 5th April 2022, 22:35   #38

Quote:
Conclusion
OTR Price (at the time): roughly 1.1 million bucks
Our Price: roughly 0.95 million bucks, with free accessories and extended warranty thrown in.
HOW did you negotiate to 9.5L from 11L?

footnote: currently deciding between Jazz vx cvt(10L from csd) vs Altroz xz dca(10.7L, not available in csd). Scale tipping towards jazz, but if we get such a heavy discount outside, might just go for Altroz.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks