Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2020, 20:38   #1
BANNED

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!

Hi Guys!

Before ya'll dive into my longish preliminary ownership report, here are some concise likes and dislikes of the New Alto for those who're interested;

+ Compactness - Can steer the car in and out of all nooks and crannies.
+ Engine's Pedigree - Suzuki F8, Need I say more?
+ Cabin Comfort - If you own or have driven a M/A800 of the past then you definitely need to give this car a go!
+ Air Conditioning - Being the Alto no surprises here.
+ Infotainment - Basic, but gets the job done beautifully.
+ Auto Dimming Speedo and Infotainment Lights - When the HL is turned on the Speedo and Infotainment Lights Dim to preset brightness.
+ Safety Features that come with BS6 Mandate.

Dislikes
- Brakes - Crappiest Brakes I've experienced in a Car to date.
- Ride by Wire Accelerator - Random Millisecond Lag causes Pinging off Idle under Load.
- Stock Ceat FuelSmart Tyres - I wanted to trade tyres to Michelin's but none of the shops were willing to accept the stock tyres for exchange, hence I had to settle with them for the time being.
- No Cabin Air Filter by Default - Can be DIY'd, Details in second post.
- Shift Indicator Disabled - A close look at the LCD would show reminiscence of the shift indicator that came on the Alto K10, though in the new Alto the same has been disabled, not sure how the same can be enabled.
- No Tachometer - On such a small motor a tachometer is quintessential.

Prologue:

First I’d like to introduce everyone to our F10D Estilo which we’d purchased in the year 2009 from Sarathy Automobiles, Kollam, the OTR was around 400k and I was 16 years old at the time.

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-5.38.47-pm.jpeg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-5.39.13-pm.jpeg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-5.39.32-pm.jpeg

Though the car was originally purchased for my mother we later on came to terms with the fact that my mother simply couldn’t drive well and hence the car was passed on to me with an odo reading of over 1k.

11 years later the day she left me she had about 41k on the odo, so simply put she wasn’t used much cause I’d left for college and then when I got employed I got myself a pre-owned G10B Zen that I still own and cherish which with the exception of my father everyone else hates due to it being a used car and lacking creature comforts. But back to the F10D, you’d presume she being a Maruti that life would’ve been a breeze, especially with such low mileage use. Well, it wasn’t!

Every 5 years we change the tyres and battery irrespective of use, that’s a given with all the vehicles we own, in addition to that we’ve replaced the steering box twice, complete front suspension and arms twice, fuel pump twice, and immobilizer twice in addition to other consumables replaced religiously.

Electrical issues have plagued us ever since we had the car repainted back in 2015 after she was hit by a bus, speaking of accidents, I’d had my first wreck in the car when I’d lost control, spun-out and flew off the road into a pit at speed. She’d been mauled off the road by buses twice including the aforementioned incident. She lacked any and all safety features but not once has any of her occupants met with bodily harm.

Which again was the reason we kept spending on her to bring her back to her former glory, but the last straw was when she had to be towed to the ASC for the n’th time, everyone had lost their cool and wanted to get her replaced but I tried my best to hold on to her cause sentimental reasons aside she’d only done about 40k and we’d spared no expense to keep her it top form, didn’t make sense to part with her after spending so much money and extracting so little life from her.

Nearing the end of 2020 I got a call from my father informing me that we need a new car and one of ours had to go, so it was either the Zen or the Estilo and this wasn’t a hard decision to make, it had to be the Estilo cause the Zen excites me in ways no other car has and that is taking into consideration that I’m not at all a Car person.

Our Estilo leaving us, the end of a remarkable era;

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-5.37.40-pm.jpeg

Selection Process:

The requirement was simple, my father insisted that he needs a long timer for when he returns to the country and that this would be a final purchase so none of my impulses should interfere in the buying process, which was when I mentally bid farewell to the Bajaj Qute.

He is a hands-on guy but lacked knowledge about what all options the market has to offer so in simple words he told me he needs something reliable, simple to work on, something along the likes of the HM Ambassador preferably south of the 10 Lakh barrier. Now this was a big ask.

My mind could muster up only two options, a Diesel from Mahindra’s stable as the Chief himself and another HVK’ian I know have clocked crazy high mileage on their respective machines, a Scorpio and Bolero and are still using them to haul serious miles.

And then the one motor with the longest runtime on Indian soil, the Suzuki F8 Powered Maruti Alto.

One other requirement was that the Car should be Indian, now I know Maruti Suzuki isn’t all Indian per say but as per him it was, which was the reason why we opted for the Estilo over a decade ago in spite of other manufacturers offering shorter delivery promises and better offers.

The Alto was out of favour as soon as I’d mentioned it because the womenfolk at home simply saw it as a downgrade which for some reason mattered to them even though none of them can properly drive.

A reason for the same was my upcoming marriage and the Alto simply didn’t have the social mileage that practically anything else offered.

So I started a thread on TBhp asking for advice and received a lot of valuable input which also gave me several options ranging from the Ignis to the Baleno on one end and the Tiago to the Nexon on the other. The Bolero was in my list but lost interest after knowing that the latest iteration was a 3pot vs previous 4pot, not that I have anything against them, just that I lost interest knowing that the platform was different from what HVK Sir and KK used.

In the meanwhile I was also able to squeeze some logic into the mix and ease out on the Indian Brand rule, introducing the likes of Hyundai and Kia into the mix. Have driven a few German’s but they’re simply not our cup of tea cause god forbid if the cars fate was similar to that of our Estilo i.e left idle for extended periods due to me going out of station then that would cost us dearly as even with the Estilo being from MS’s stable did incur quite a sum over the decade of ownership considering all parts replaced and maintenance done on the car, and that was something I personally accounted for.

A week or two of contemplation, test drives and battles at home I’d narrowed down to the following;
1. Tata Tiago
2. Hyundai Santro
3. Maruti Suzuki Swift

All options that seemed safe as far as long term ownership went since one of the requirements was that the buy should be a lifetime choice, again a notion that was rethought after considering valid points raised by fellow bhpians, but again if not for our lifetime at least the car should fare well in its legal lifetime of 15 years.

Now the specifics can be read on the following thread; The last car for someone on the verge of retirement?

Anyhow, I’ve had more than one test drive on all the above options on both AMT as well as MT variants and even some nearby models. And fact be told things were quite confusing because none of the cars logically did it for me, some had crappy support, some had pricey spares and some simply didn’t make sense logically.

Just when things were boiling down and I was at the peak of confusion my father told me that the car would be for me and that he’d get one at a later stage when he’d actually be back in the country for good and of course comply to my mother’s wishes of owning something that had considerable social mileage, hence I was allowed to make a reasonable choice keeping in mind that the choice should be easily usable for my bride to be who is yet to learn how to drive a car.

Now my priorities were simple, it should be something that I can mentally afford to drive, being a thoroughbred motorcyclist, my usual logic was that I should be able to cover the maximum distance with the least bit of expense and inconvenience incurred, a hindrance that has prevented me from moving on to cars like normal people, cause I ride anywhere from 20~30k km’s a year, heck even during 2020 with the Covid Situation my CT100B has easily clocked about 20k km’s, and doing the same on a Car is unthinkable, even for local errands my motorcycles can clock about 500 km’s for 1k worth of fuel whereas my Zen and the Estilo used to clock barely 150 km’s.

I once tried to get over this mental block when I got the Zen but a year and 10k km’s later I simply lost the will and my driving reduced to essentials and the odd enthusiastic run once a month or two, which is why she has just clocked over 25k km’s in 4 years of ownership.

So logically I needed something that offered a FE closer to my motorcycle that offered the lowest FE and that was my P220 at 28kmpl, Diesels were recommended and seemed the obvious choice but they didn’t cut it for me, I’m not a car person but I prefer to own something I am even remotely knowledgeable about and that meant it had to be a Petrol Vehicle.

Now I’ve mentioned earlier that I took into account cost of spares and by that I mean everything that is even remotely breakable which includes bumpers, ORVM’s, common use panels/accessories etc. Now this was more of the essence cause if my lady would be learning to drive in this car then there’d be a lot of such parts that would need to be replaced, nothing sexist here just that not one outside panel of our Estilo was from factory, even the roof panel had to be replaced as my mom had managed to wreck everything in her pursuit to learn driving, it is sad that even after all the damage she didn’t get far enough, so going from experience I kept the same buffer for my lady.

Now you’ll know where this is leading to, Alto was back in the list much to my mother’s dismay.

But along the way I put a little more weight to opting for a Santro AMT since it would be easier for a newbie, Tiago AMT was already in the list as I found it better than the MT variant for some odd reason. But the catch here was that both Hyundai and Tata weren’t offering as much resale for my Estilo.

I let everyone know what Maruti had offered me for the Estilo which was 1.60L if I opted for anything other than the Alto and 1.50L if I opted for the Alto. Tata was stingy with their resale and kept on lauding safety rating which didn’t cut it for me being a high risk user who hauls ass on motorcycles by choice. I did contemplate safety of family which was why the Tiago was still in the list in spite of its engine being pathetic even compared to my 15 year old Zen which effortlessly maxes out the speedo to date, but in the end the Tata had to be dropped or rather dropped due to mental block.

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-tiago.jpg

As for Hyundai, their representative Sooraj was the best, the test drives were gracious and behaviour was most courteous, he tried his best to match what Maruti was offering for our Estilo but in the end fell short, not by much but still all things considered I’d be paying 5.3L for the Santro whereas after exchange I’d be only paying 2.7L for the Alto. So in the end I had to break the news to Sooraj which was hard for me but we both parted as friends.

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-santro.jpg

So I called the executive at Maruti Mr. Baiju and informed him that I needed a base model Alto in White, but later changed selection to top model in Red as this was the least I needed to do as per my mom’s wish, the only reason I was able to pacify her was by letting her choose the specifics and also because while I went to see the Alto I fell hard for the Eeco which was barely 60k more than the Alto but offered so much space and came with a downsized version of the Suzuki G13 Block called the G12.

It was really tempting but the FE simply didn’t cut the mark at 16kmpl, but I didn’t let that show, rather I told my mom that it was my choice which was when she said that the Alto was a better choice compared to this Ambulance. Me to Self; Good Move A.P!

A few pics of our Alto at the yard after being unloaded from the truck, we couldn't immediately see her cause there is mandatory fumigation that needs to be done as per Maruti's Covid protocol;

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112150523.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112150531.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112150542.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112150600.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112151023.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112151031.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112151037.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112151139.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112151243.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112151321.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112151528.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112151603.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201112151617.jpg

The number of holes under the car did rub my OCD the wrong way, especially when I popped the rear seat and could see the ground right through the chassis.

Registration and Delivery:

Everything went smoothly, I was informed beforehand that I have to pay 1.2k to an agent for registration so as to clear everything without any hindrances and that is what I did, I had to pay another 1k towards Estilo’s RC formalities.

I was asked to pay about 15k for a bunch of selected accessories which I refused, they finally offered complementary mats and mudguards, again I am still of the belief that the same ideally was provided by Maruti with all cars.

Finally I transferred 2.7L to their Account via UPI over a period of 3 days due to reaching the daily limit several times, once that was done I was promised delivery roughly 3 working days later, but that was a bit more due to the Diwali holidays.

Anyhow on the day of delivery I asked my mom to accompany me which she did and we went there in an auto rickshaw, haven’t commuted in one in a long time and I really enjoyed the commute which was roughly 10km’s.

The sight of our beauty laid out on the front ready for Delivery;

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201117150545.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201117150355.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201117150450.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201117150515.jpg

On reaching there we were offered the usual Cappuccino of which I took a photo knowing it was my last complimentary one from the dealer.

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201117151211.jpg

At the last moment I was asked to pay Rs.400/- as it was something pending from beforehand and I didn’t care much so went ahead and paid it.

Here's the bill with all specifics;

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img_20201117_152605.jpg

The agent went ahead to get the car ready for delivery, and in the meanwhile my mom seeing the other cars in the showroom asked me if we can still change our selection, now at this point everything was final and the insurance and TP formalities have already been registered to my name but being the chap I am I told her that it was possible until they stuck the TP sticker on the car, which one of the staff was about to do as we could see through the transparent wall.

On hearing the same my mom leaped out and yelled “Stoooooop!” in movie fashion which startled everyone at the dealership but had me laughing my head off. Realizing that this was a cruel prank she got mad and decided to leave by rickshaw but sensing the situation turn for the worse our agent Mr.Baiju stepped in and insisted my mom be the one to receive the key, a little flattery was all it took and she received the key and even insisted on joining me for the drive back home, kudos to Mr.Baiju's salesmanship!

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201117wa0135.jpg

Now to my pleasure they’d taken a photo of both of us standing by the car saying that it was to send to Maruti, a moment later they brought the same photo framed which was a really nice gesture and all but more significant for me cause it is a reminder of my epic troll which I for some twisted reason am still proud of.

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201117164507.jpg

Once inside the car I started her and stalled just off idle like an amateur, 11 years of driving down the pooper, my second try was precautious as I gave more throttle and slipped more clutch. Now I’d noticed that something was off with the throttle but it is only later that I’d figure out what exactly was off.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th November 2020 at 19:05. Reason: More family-friendly words used
ashwinprakas is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 00:51   #2
BANNED

Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism Redefined, Again!

Ownership Experience:

Out of the showroom I was told they’d filled 5L of fuel but I had to refuel, on refueling the car consumed 33.5 Liters.

Fellow enthusiasts advised the usage of Fuelio app and that is what I did over the next few days, these are the results I got from doing the same;

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-11.12.02-pm.jpeg

My driving is mixed and from that I can get about 450km's on a full tank which I believe is decent enough considering all my previous cars returned only half of what I get on the Alto. At times I do contemplate driving sedately but then I get bored and floor it. Hopefully on the highways I'd get over 500km's on a full tank at interstate speeds, speaking of which I hope to do some interstate runs on the car, Hampi has been a location I've been contemplating for long, fingers crossed!

As of now I’ve clocked 500 km’s on the car i.e in a week.

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-500kms.jpeg

Performance:

Suzuki F8DN, it is not what it used to be even on its BS4 or earlier variants, it now kinda reminds me of how it used to run on the SS80, don’t get me wrong it doesn’t match the outright kick in pants feel of the SS80 but where it feels similar is in being able to carry itself quite well, something it didn’t do that well in its earlier iterations. Most obvious difference being the absolute lack of AC Lag, the difference is also felt when on the highways, she pulls to a 100kmph without breaking a sweat in spite of being driven on cramped KL roads, speaking of which the 80kmph double beep speed warning indicator is a nice addon, would've been even better if we could set custom beeps cause in some section the speed limit is a meager 50kmph.

The only place where it feels like a low displacement car is rarely at times under load when you give throttle input and the Ride by Wire throttle momentary lags for a bit which results in the motor pinging, this can be overcome by being a millisecond more patient with RBW accelerator, again this doesn’t happen always or even with remote consistency but it does help knowing that the electronics can be stupid at times, which again was the reason for me stalling the car the very first time I drove her.

The cable shifter is much appreciated even though deep down it is the same typical Maruti gearbox as the reverse does take some babying to slot in, to avoid the ever so familiar Kazchack!

Handling:

Straight line stability is good enough even at speeds of 110kmph which is the max I’ve taken her considering that I live in southern KL and the roads are exceptionally pathetic here.

Cornering stability isn’t up to the mark, she corners decently but nothing compared to the Alto K10 which was a hoot to drive, there is noticeable body-roll, negligible compared to the Estilo but quite noticeable with respect to the Zen. I’d taken her on a 150+km’s drive to Konni from Kollam carrying my mother and grandmother and my granny threw up at least 5 times when driving on winding roads, getting in and out of the car wasn’t an issue but I believe the body-roll was.

Surprisingly my mother didn’t throw up, when I’d taken her on a 200+ km’s drive to Ponmudi and back in the Zen a few years ago she threw up after every hairpin, nothing of that sort happened with her in the Alto.

To speak particularly about the suspension I love the damping, it is what gives the new Alto a more composed drive sort of life a premium ride quality compared to my previous Maruti's, in fact the damping is comparatively felt less in the Swift, but then it might be due to the fact that the Swift accelerates harder than the Alto, or it could also be that the TD Swift I'd received was already fairly abused and running on the space saver spare wheel at the rear. Speaking of which the Alto comes with a full size spare tyre, same as all its other tyres, which is something I appreciate.

Coming to steering feedback, I'd give it a neutral mark cause its not a toyishly light as a Hyundai or even the Estilo to an extent but at the same time you do not get as much road feedback as on my Manual Zen, hence my neutral stand.

Now comes the crappiest part about the Alto, its brakes, OH MY GOD! They’re awful! LeoSashi suggested bleeding the brakes but I doubt that would do much good as bleeding only helps if the fluid is already contaminated and the chances of that happening seems slim on a brand new car, but then again my friend KB100’s Ertiga faced brake failure within a short time after purchase so I am a bit skeptical about Maruti’s QC.

Comfort:

Having driven budget cars from Maruti for the better part of my driving life I’d give the new Alto 10/10 with respect to comfort, overseeing the obvious lack of space and crappy seats what stands out is that the car doesn’t feel like driving a Maruti, in comparison the Swift still feels like driving a Maruti as we get a fair share of the elements but Maruti has outdone themselves with the Alto, I expected it to retain some of the 800’s agricultural feel but the same was completely negated, something I’d usually rant about as I am a stickler for feedback but this time I’d give them a win cause the Old Alto wasn’t really known for the same at least in comparison to the Zen.

Though something to note is that the engine sounds like a Diesel engine at times, the old 800’s gurgle is missing instead I get Diesel like clattering, could be the BS6 effect, I don’t know.

As for the NVH, other than the Diesel like rattling of the engine there's not much that seeps past the cabins insulation, this gives a disconnected feel but it is appreciated in the New Alto cause it is no handler like my Zen and when a car is crappy to handle then every bit of added comfort is well appreciated.

Air Conditioning has always been one of the Alto's forte right from the beginning. It still is, it doesn't take much time to cool down the cabin on a hot afternoon, a few of my passengers have also complemented its cooling so that's something you needn't worry about.

Rear passenger leg room hasn't been improved but your passengers wouldn't have to endure torture as the front seats have their rear caved in preventing it from causing discomfort to rear passengers even with the seats set all the way back, a subtle change but a much appreciated one.

Quality and Feel:

There are no exposed metal panels on the inside which is something fellow enthusiast Kpzonwheels pointed out, something I missed to notice before.

I am satisfied with the overall quality of components the Rs.500/- per piece speakers are good enough, the electronic window winders don’t cause the door panel to bulge when the glass is all the way up like in the Alto K10, the ORVM’s can be adjusted from the inside and are of appreciable quality, the Bluetooth Music system is good enough and has buttons to receive and end calls, I like the way how the volume drops when the car is put into reverse, I like how the doors lock when we cross 20kmph speeds, and most of all I love the consistent fuel gauge.

The light control is new as well, other than being able to adjust dashboard brightness the cabin lights turn on when the door is unlocked and only go off once the key is inserted into the ignition.

All these might sound normal to most but coming from basic cars I am intrigued by these modernities.

Speaking of modernities, some that the Alto still lacks are;

1. The dashboard lacks DTE or any such statistics, even a Tachometer for that matter. It is basic with the exception of a Clock and 2 Trip Meters.
2. The steering is non-adjustable but the position is decent.

Accessories and Modifications:

1. Wagon R RVM with Day/Night Function[84703M81A21-6GS] Ordered from Boodmo and Fixed by Self @ 665/-

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-daynightmirror.jpeg

Courtesy the one and only LeoSashi!

2. Custom Stitched Seat Covers @ 5.5k/-

Maruti offered seat covers for 5k but I didn't find them worth the money, not than I'm an expert but the material seemed to cheap to be worth 5k hence skipped the same and opted for Towel Covers from Amazon for 1.7k, absolute waste of money it was as the quality was pathetic, returned and got refund.

Immediately reached out to a local shop and had seat covers fabricated and installed for the Alto for 5.5k

This was the design template we preferred;

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-template.jpg

Snaps before installation;

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201124-3.55.51-pm.jpeg Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201124-3.55.51-pm-1.jpeg

Snaps during Installation;

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201124105901.jpgOwnership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201124110011.jpg

End Result!

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-3.19.32-pm-1.jpegOwnership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-3.19.32-pm-2.jpeg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-3.19.32-pm-3.jpeg

3. Floor and Boot Vinyl Matting @ 2k/-

I've been told several times that this it a risky affair as it traps moisture and accelerates rusting but my Zen has the same installed by the previous owner and its doing fine without any rusting, on the other hand my Estilo didn't have any matting and yet developed holes on the passenger side.

Not reason enough to opt for this but my mother insisted on this too in addition to the aforementioned seat covers, so I had to no choice than to comply.

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-floor-matting.jpeg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-matting-2.jpg

4. 70mai Smart Dash Cam Pro, Ordered from Amazon, Fixed by Self @ 6k/-

Generic product this is, hence installation was a walk in the park!

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-dashcamera.jpeg

The camera and its wiring is hidden out of sight quite well that it is not even noticeable during driving or regular use.

5. Cabin Filter[990J0M67LS0-010], Ordered from Boodmo and Fixed by Self @ 431/-

A point to note here is that the Alto comes with two different units, so based on whether your car sports the Alto 800[990J0M53MS0-010] one or Wagon R[990J0M67LS0-010] one you will have to buy your filters accordingly. I’d bought the Alto 800 one and finding it not a match for my Alto ordered the Wagon R one, sharing below pictures of both units for ease of understanding, credits to Kpzonwheels for sharing pics and details pertaining to the Alto 800 unit which his car came with;

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-3.01.24-pm.jpeg

Determine which setup your Alto has, do look at the parts marked in Green, this would make identification easier, the rest of the procedure is common, you take a knife and cut out the cut-out.

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-3.01.24-pm-2.jpeg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-3.01.24-pm-1.jpeg

Insert the Filter as per the direction mentioned on it.

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-3.01.24-pm-3.jpeg

Fix the Cap, and you're done!

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-whatsapp-image-20201125-3.01.24-pm-4.jpeg

As for other things, I did contemplate upgrading the Headlights and Horns but they seem adequate for the time being, another point to note here is that Maruti doesn’t provide spare bulbs so it’d be better to keep a few inside the car, which I have done.

As for the horn, it comes in two makes, the one from Minda i.e the one I have is decently loud enough, but the one from Hella is crap, Kpzonwheels has the Hella ones and he’d opted for dual horns wired to the aftermarket Hella Wiring Harness he got from Amazon. I’d used the same Hella horn on my CT100B once, and had scrapped it soon after due to its feeble output, so if at all anyone is looking for a replacement for their single horn please do stay away from Hella.

Though Hella's Horn Wiring Harness is real good stuff, I have it installed in both my motorcycles.

Service and Warranty

I am still on the bench with regards to what to do with this, the car is basic to the point that other than consumable changes there'd not be anything more to bother about, plus I'd be able to change oil at my preferred interval(5k km's) over the company's recommended interval(10k km's).

After a lot of thinking I've decided to keep servicing the car at MASS while doing an oil change in between so as to pacify myself and not busy myself too much with the car.

Speaking of that, I had refused extended warranty merely out of principle, opting for the same on the F8 Series motor would be sacrilege!

Sharing Service Inspection details as per the owners manual;

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img_20201126_103147.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img_20201126_103323.jpg

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img_20201126_103440.jpg

You'll notice that the engine oil change interval is different from that of the K10, the F series engines have an oil change at 1000km in addition to the common 10,000km's intervals.

Speaking of Engine Oil, the recommended grade is 5W30, as for gear oil it is 75W90.

So that's about it as far as my one week and 500km's ownership goes, I know its customary to end on a good note but all did not go well, the other day I found a nick in the paint.

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-first-scratch.jpg

Seems one of my passengers was careless with handling the door. Not much to fret about but thought I'd mention it just for the sake of proper journaling.

Will keep ya'll posted on any further developments, in the meanwhile do share your thoughts and let me know if I've missed to cover anything.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 26th November 2020 at 11:09.
ashwinprakas is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 05:11   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 06:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!

I'd call this review and ownership "A breath of fresh air". Wishing you many happy and safe miles on this one.

Suzuki F8D is a legend and in its BS6 avatar, feels very refined and nothing like the F8D it was around the beginning of the millennium.

I agree with your thoughts on the Eeco being tremendous value. I did contemplate once of buying an Eeco ambulance(because it gets High roof like Versa) and converting it to Versa SDX Trim with captain seats and all.

Do keep updating the thread regularly.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 08:36   #5
BHPian

Re: Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!

Wonderfully written review. I think, it is the first ownership report on BS6 alto and we don't have an official review for alto/alto 800 since 2012. So it makes me happy to see a detailed ownership report. Thanks brother

Last edited by Kpzonwheels : 27th November 2020 at 08:38.
Kpzonwheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 10:17   #6
BHPian

Congratulations fellow BHPian from Kollam

Wish you many happy miles in the car. Loved reading your review, very well wirtten.
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 10:46   #7
BHPian

Congrats on the new ride. I too have the pvc floor mat in my car and it's easier to clean the car during rainy days.

I am sure this car too will clock high numbers like your CT100. Products of simple engineering are usually very reliable, Alto is a perfect example for that.
SS80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 11:18   #8
BHPian

Got to give it to you sir for posting such a comprehensive ownership experience of Alto specially when the forum is all gung ho on bashing up Maruti for their tin cans after the recent crash test results!

Regarding your suspension observation I am of similar opinion as I currently own 2011 Alto and had Dzire till 2019. Alto is very softly sprung and as a result provides better damping compared to Swift. This is a little subjective too as most of my family members think otherwise. The BS6 Alto also "seems" better built in terms of door weight and how they close. Drive by wire is something I abhor. That mechanical feel of instant throttle response is something I will miss the most when I sell of my beauty(due anytime soon).

Do keep updating this thread. Would definitely want to hear more on paint quality. Seems like manufacturers are cutting some corners with paint coats or thickness these days. Minor nudge is all it takes to expose the metal.
Maverick Avi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 14:56   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on the car, hope it serves you trouble free as a practical city car for many many years .
I had no idea the Alto 800 requires this frequent valve clearance adjustment, i'am very apprehensive of letting the service centers do any mechanical work in my car apart from filling up fluids and replacing filters, do they do a fine job with this? I think it requires an extremely precise adjustment down to millimetres.
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 16:31   #10

Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism Redefined, Again!

Thanks for this beautiful and refreshing review. I too bought an Alto 800 VXi in Jan-2020 and the experience has been wonderful. Got myself downgraded from a VW Ameo to Alto 800 and I have never been so happy

Last edited by Sheel : 27th November 2020 at 19:26.
bharatmarch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 17:28   #11
BHPian

Congratulations Ashwin on the latest acquisition !

I can bravely say that of all the dealerships Maruti has in Kollam/Pathanamthitta/Alleppey Sarathy has been the best to deal with hands down. Their service stations should be set as a benchmark for all those other A.S.S. I've had a very good relation with them during my ownership of my Zen Estilo and they've been nothing but phenomenal. The service advisor who handled my car regularly was the one who bought it from me and it attests the fact they do their jobs well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
- No Cabin Air Filter by Default - Can be DIY'd, Details in second post.
I have always doubted that this is done on purpose to aid the service centre and SA's for those inevitable add-on recommendations we get during the service.

And primary question to you is, with all the MVD trouble, how are you planning to keep the cabin cool from all that hot sunlight we'll be getting over the next few months ?

Last edited by kraken : 27th November 2020 at 17:41. Reason: Format issues.
kraken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 19:21   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on the car, hope it serves you long as the estilo. Please drive safe!

If you found the Tiago's 85 bhp engine pathetic then how do you find Alto's 40bhp engine in comparison? This is a genuine question since you rejected Tiago for the engine which is a way superior product.
turbowhistle is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 22:25   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Congratulations on the car, hope it serves you long as the estilo. Please drive safe!

If you found the Tiago's 85 bhp engine pathetic then how do you find Alto's 40bhp engine in comparison? This is a genuine question since you rejected Tiago for the engine which is a way superior product.
Especially for Petrol Motor, I would really like to hear from the OP on how the engine fares after clocking at least 100,000 clicks on the Odo since he had/has a Zen.

As simple as that!
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 23:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Tata was stingy with their resale and kept on lauding safety rating which didn’t cut it for me being a high risk user who hauls ass on motorcycles by choice. I did contemplate safety of family which was why the Tiago was still in the list in spite of its engine being pathetic even compared to my 15 year old Zen which effortlessly maxes out the speedo to date, but in the end the Tata had to be dropped or rather dropped due to mental block.
Congratulations on your purchase buddy. Being a Maruti Suzuki product, it will serve you very well I am sure. We recently sold our Omni in exchange of Eeco Cargo CNG. I can vouch for the reliability of Maruti Suzuki products. But being safe and reliable are two different things.
IMHO, safety should be on top priority of any and every individual... and this holds true for car manufacturers as well.
Tata is lauding on the safety rating because they have worked very hard to achieve it. They have proof to substantiate their claim. And it is working for them, I mean fortunately they have been able to increase their monthly sales as well.
I too ride motorcycles by choice.. And when I know its a high risk proposition, I will choose safety features over top end any day. Maxing out of the speedo shouldn't be the only yardstick IMO.
Just my two cents.
Cheers.
AB
coriollis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 06:59   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I'd call this review and ownership "A breath of fresh air". Wishing you many happy and safe miles on this one.
Thank you! Means a lot coming from you.

Quote:
Suzuki F8D is a legend and in its BS6 avatar, feels very refined and nothing like the F8D it was around the beginning of the millennium.
Indeed, I'll have to give it to MS for what they've done to this platform, simply amazing, being an aficionado of the older Suzuki engines I was remarkably surprised by their tuning prowess on TD'ing the car for the first time. Absolute black magic they've done with respect to fueling.

Quote:
I agree with your thoughts on the Eeco being tremendous value. I did contemplate once of buying an Eeco ambulance(because it gets High roof like Versa) and converting it to Versa SDX Trim with captain seats and all.
That is the stuff automotive wet dreams are made of!

Ever since Shubham and Ateesh toured NE sleeping inside their Indigo Marina I've been smitten by the idea of touring and sleeping inside a car. Fingers crossed on that happening in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpzonwheels View Post
Wonderfully written review. I think, it is the first ownership report on BS6 alto and we don't have an official review for alto/alto 800 since 2012. So it makes me happy to see a detailed ownership report. Thanks brother
I should be thanking Sashi and you for helping me sort things out with my Alto, in fact you two deserve the merit of this ownership thread for providing invaluable support without which I doubt this thread would even exist.

Thanks Guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Congratulations fellow BHPian from Kollam

Wish you many happy miles in the car. Loved reading your review, very well wirtten.
Thank you! Glad to meet a fellow Quilonian, a term I coined that is yet to catch up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Congrats on the new ride. I too have the pvc floor mat in my car and it's easier to clean the car during rainy days.

I am sure this car too will clock high numbers like your CT100. Products of simple engineering are usually very reliable, Alto is a perfect example for that.
Thank you!

So far she's at 800km's on the odo, as you and everyone in my contact list would know from my incessant pestering with odo photos.

Ownership review of my Maruti Suzuki Alto - Utilitarianism redefined, again!-img20201127150146.jpg

I too hope to clock many miles on her, personally I do wish she came without some of the fancy tech but then I have a notion that her refinement is mostly due to the said advancements so I'd have to accept that.

But in the back of my mind I do keep wondering what would happen if the RBW Throttle gives up. First time experience so a bit skeptical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Got to give it to you sir for posting such a comprehensive ownership experience of Alto specially when the forum is all gung ho on bashing up Maruti for their tin cans after the recent crash test results!
Thank you sir for the kind words!

Quote:
Regarding your suspension observation I am of similar opinion as I currently own 2011 Alto and had Dzire till 2019. Alto is very softly sprung and as a result provides better damping compared to Swift.
My uncle drives a Gen 1 Dzire and I have to say the thing is more composed than the latest Swift, again I don't know what exactly MS has done or whether it was a poorly maintained TD vehicle but the Swift I drove recently was quite agile compared to the old one but the suspension didn't seem adequately tuned for the abuse the car would endure when making the most out of that engine.

Quote:
Do keep updating this thread. Would definitely want to hear more on paint quality. Seems like manufacturers are cutting some corners with paint coats or thickness these days. Minor nudge is all it takes to expose the metal.
Would do.

Even I am skeptical about the paint quality cause merely from feel and observation the paint doesn't seem to be what MS used to provide earlier.

Back then I recall that even small scuffs could be taken care off with some rubbing compound, now just the nick of a nail is enough to breech the pain layer, obvious cost cutting I too believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Congratulations on the car, hope it serves you trouble free as a practical city car for many many years .
I had no idea the Alto 800 requires this frequent valve clearance adjustment, i'am very apprehensive of letting the service centers do any mechanical work in my car apart from filling up fluids and replacing filters, do they do a fine job with this? I think it requires an extremely precise adjustment down to millimetres.
The F series motors come with the now prehistoric screw type tappet adjusters and hence require more frequent adjustment compared to the modern K series that come with bucket type tappets that require practically no maintenance.

Even I am apprehensive of the ASC doing anything on my vehicles but I am left without options, I've done the same myself on my motorcycles but never before in a car entirely by myself.

And you're spot on about clearances, they'd usually be in the 0.0Xmm range. Again an area where a precision feeler gauge is needed, something some motorcycle ASC's make do by using shaving blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatmarch View Post
Thanks for this beautiful and refreshing review. I too bought an Alto 800 VXi in Jan-2020 and the experience has been wonderful. Got myself downgraded from a VW Ameo to Alto 800 and I have never been so happy
Kudos friend!

Is yours branded Alto 800 or just Alto? Mine is missing the 800 tag which I've been told is because after K10 was phased out they've renamed it to the new Alto.

I do feel your excitement, in spite of the downgrade this car really is fun to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
Congratulations Ashwin on the latest acquisition !

I can bravely say that of all the dealerships Maruti has in Kollam/Pathanamthitta/Alleppey Sarathy has been the best to deal with hands down. Their service stations should be set as a benchmark for all those other A.S.S. I've had a very good relation with them during my ownership of my Zen Estilo and they've been nothing but phenomenal. The service advisor who handled my car regularly was the one who bought it from me and it attests the fact they do their jobs well.
Thank you for the kind words.

I do hope Sarathy's ASC's have improved cause a decade ago they were the absolute worst, funny thing being they're responsible for the very first dent in our Estilo for which they sheepishly apologized instead of offering to fix the same.

The one at the Mevaram Bypass is the one I'm referring to.

Though I've had only good experience with the one run by Popular near beach road, albeit a bit too pricey cause they charged me 10k for general maintenance, AC refilling and underbody coating on my Zen.

Anyhow would give Sarathy a shot, hoping that things have taken a turn for the better since my time with them.

Quote:
And primary question to you is, with all the MVD trouble, how are you planning to keep the cabin cool from all that hot sunlight we'll be getting over the next few months ?
Honestly don't know, I've never really thought about it.

But one thing I recall is that a few days ago I'd parked the car out on a hot afternoon while my engagement was going on and on returning wearing a north Indian dress that's poorly ventilated and not suited for our climate I was a bit wary and turned on the AC for a bit before entering the car and to my surprise within the minute or two of turning ON the AC the entire cabin had cooled down, something unimaginable on my Estilo or Zen.

In fact my uncles Dzire takes some more time to cool down from memory, but then again that could be due to the 100k+ odo reading and associated age of components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
Tiago's engine is good on paper but other than that offers no value for me and I'm a person who doesn't even bother to look at magazines or even brochures for that matter, so on paper specs really don't cut it for me.

In fact another bhpian had pointed out that the Tiago and Swift come close on timed runs, but when inside the cockpit it feels far from it.

Other reasons I believe are;

1. Doesn't feel good, idle thrum aside the feedback I get from the engine isn't something I expect from a car for which I'd have to spend from pocket twice what the Alto is asking. No offence to the car but ignoring paper spec, when driving both the Alto and Tiago side by side other than the better seats on offer and cool looking steering and MID there really isn't any tangible gains peaking my interest that the Tiago offers over the Alto.

Alto has 400cc less displacement or rather Tiago has 50% more displacement than the Alto but from driving on our roads what MS has done with the F8's fueling stands out quite a bit much.

And I was comparing the Tata's engine to my 15 year old Zen's in my post, compared to the G10B on the Zen the Revotron 1.2 is nothing, but that's not surprising, most cars cannot match up to the feedback we get from the Suzuki G Series engines, they keep on revving like its nobodies business, compared to the Revotron 1.2 which feels more like a Diesel engine with respect to its narrow powerband, even at WOT the car was literally gasping for breath, again not what I expect from something that costs that much.

2. No track record to offer, Revotron 1.2 is what 4 years old? The F8 platform is around 40 years old, maybe even more I'd have to double check.

3. Spare pricing and Service, I did research about spare pricing and practically everything on the Tiago is priced at a premium, even non structural parts, take the ORVM for example, even on the base variant it costs 3k+, compared to that the Alto's costs under 1k. Both are Internally Adjustable. Pricing aside, the Service on offer is pathetic in our region, a close friend of mine swears by Tata's and have owned a few from the Nano to the Zest, and on several occasions when the Zest broke down he really was in a pickle, the first breakdown being soon after purchase, which again is fine provided service support is present, flat bedding your car to the next district is just too much IMHO.

Now the upside of the Tiago is obviously its safety rating, and maybe looks if you're into that kinda thing. I would've still contemplated the Tiago had Tata offered a better resale for the Estilo or offered better discounts or even a shorter delivery date, heck 6~8 Weeks for a Car I personally do not have any aspirational value for? No thanks!

But why am I not opting for safety? As I'd said, it is a good proposition but not so much for someone whose inherently a motorcyclist. Anyways the family is planning on getting a car with more aspirational value and social mileage, so when it comes to that let them go for the Tiago or Nexon or anything of that sort, but when the ball is in my court I need something that excites me, and the Alto simply cuts it for me than most other offerings.

Plus running costs are abysmally cheap that it puts some motorcycles to shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Especially for Petrol Motor, I would really like to hear from the OP on how the engine fares after clocking at least 100,000 clicks on the Odo since he had/has a Zen.

As simple as that!
The Zen is at 80k on the odo, she has bounced off the limiter more than most if not all cars I've known and yet runs flawlessly.

The older Suzuki platforms were known for their bulletproof reliability, not sure if the same can be said with all the electrical addons now but back then 300k was the least life expected from the F or G series engines. We've had older M800's that stayed as long as two decades and clocked close to 200k before being traded up.

Which again is why I'm heartbroken about parting with the Estilo so soon.

Anyhow I hope the Alto fairs well. Fingers Crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Congratulations on your purchase buddy. Being a Maruti Suzuki product, it will serve you very well I am sure. We recently sold our Omni in exchange of Eeco Cargo CNG. I can vouch for the reliability of Maruti Suzuki products. But being safe and reliable are two different things.
IMHO, safety should be on top priority of any and every individual... and this holds true for car manufacturers as well.
Tata is lauding on the safety rating because they have worked very hard to achieve it. They have proof to substantiate their claim. And it is working for them, I mean fortunately they have been able to increase their monthly sales as well.
I too ride motorcycles by choice.. And when I know its a high risk proposition, I will choose safety features over top end any day. Maxing out of the speedo shouldn't be the only yardstick IMO.
Just my two cents.
Cheers.
AB
Thank you for the kind words.

You do make sense in general.

But I stand out from the general populous with respect to preference which is why even in spite of owning motorcycles that are generally perceived to be better I still stick to my CT100B for interstate touring.

Same is also why I've opted for the Alto over the other candidates, it simply works well for my kinda use, to the point I'm excited to get behind the wheel in spite of being a motorcyclist who up until now prefers not to drive with the rare exception of my old Manual Steering Zen.

Again the Tata Tiago is a good car, but simply doesn't cut it for me, same with the case of all the other options I've had an eye on.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 28th November 2020 at 07:07.
ashwinprakas is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed