Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2021, 20:40   #1
BHPian

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review

Prologue

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4699.jpg

Writing about the famed 911 is a bit like photographing the Taj. Everything that is worth writing is already written about. All angles taken care of. Just like with Taj, you feel there is nothing you can do to give a never before attempted frame of reference. They have been at it since 1963 making 911s a household name for auto enthusiasts around the world while winning pretty much every driver’s car award there is (and for many years). Hence to bring any additional value writing about 911 is indeed a daunting task. Will try and give some personal perspectives and feeling of driving the machine rather than too much of the technical details. And hopefully some photographs which merges my two passions of driving and shooting.

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4735.jpg

Right from childhood, collecting Ferrari and Porsche pics (it was likely 911 or 718s – not that I cared or knew) along with Maruti Esteem and Maruti 1000 (the aspirational products available in our market those days) was a major hobby of mine. Used to cut them up from magazines and newspapers and paste in a large scrap book – which I’m sure if I go back and search hard, I might find. The big dream was to at least drive either the Ferrari or the 911 once in life.
After many decades, I got to drive the 718/Cayman. I remember the feeling of seating so low and taking curves and the car being so well glued to the road given the famed mid-engine stability. I became an instant Porsche fan again. Over the years since that day, I never again drove it nor its elder brother.

So when it was time to replace the amazingly capable GT86, about which I had written here (Living with a practical sports car : The iconic Toyota GT86), there were multiple options considered. Finally, after a lot of search & debates, bought home a pre-owned Carrera S from the 991.1 vintage – the last of the true naturally aspirated flat 6 beasts, which had most important options I wanted. The major issue with buying 911/Cayman (or any Porsche for the matter) is the plethora of options each of which is priced separately making pre-owned route even trickier. You need to find a great specimen of the model year you need, with the engine you need and then hope the first buyer topped up with all the critical options that are must haves for you.

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4937.jpg

What I like

1. The naturally aspirated flat 6 (3.8 liters) producing the ~400 horses free revving to heavens giving it the rare distinction of winning best driver’s car two years in succession. 400 HP on paper might seem a bit less (esp given the new 992 figures) but even the base Carrera at ~350 HP is a hoot to drive.
2. The sound, especially with the optional PSE (Porsche sports exhaust) is mind boggling at lower RPM and then mind bending closer to the redline. I seldom play any music unless wife demands!
3. Design especially with the classic elliptical lights – but of course!
4. PDK – THE Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe. (Thank god they have a short form for that!!!). The DCT that made autos legit.
This dual gearbox seem to read my mind with an uncanny ability. Its in its 7-speed avatar in 991.1, delivering top speed in 6th with 7th kicking in to reduce fuel consumption in normal mode. I can say it’s the only auto I’ve ever driven where I did not feel a need to finger the paddles every now and again.
5. Seats and seating – 14-way adjustable seats and the typically 911 low seating is a pleasure while driving and also an inspiration to do some yoga (to get in and out)
6. Chassis and the handling – make no mistake, its not as good as the 718 if all you want is stability. But if you like a touch of craziness, it’s a beauty (or a beast, depending on which adjective you prefer). For a rear engined sports car, its handling is as close to perfection as any.
7. Ergonomics – for me this is the big difference from 997.2. Everything is in its right place and overall interior and ergonomics makes it an easily live able daily driver.

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4941.jpg

What I don’t like

1. Price tag. Well that’s always the challenge with Porsche, isn’t it. It has been particularly painful looking at how little the last of the NA engined Porsches have depreciated. I could buy a 2017/18 991.2 Carrera for a bit less than a 2014/15 991.1 Carrera S.
2. Steering design especially the paddle shifters in my model is weird to say the least. Its integrated into the steering which I hate. I love well separated, large paddle shifters – one side for up, the other down.
3. PCM (Porsche communication management) including the touchscreen is from a decade before Ipod ! A 2015 BMW/Merc feels a decade ahead. A 2020 Toyota feels couple of decades away! No apple car play either. They largely fixed it in the 992 through the “panamerisation” of the 911 dash. (I love it!)
4. Low end torque doesn’t give you the butterflies in stomach feeling that you get from something like a BMW M2 CS or even some of the American muscle cars (or of course the Teslas). It is very linear – some like it, some wants a bit more of attitude.

What I’m neutral about

1. The electrical steering. Everyone and their uncle poured vitriol over Porsche for taking 911 to the electric steering from the famed Hydraulic. I find the criticism a bit over the top. The steering is absolutely fine for me.
2. Bose speakers – I much prefer the aural theatrics & symphony of the flat six over the Bose speakers. Its good but not excellent in my view.

Alternatives considered

Very few to be honest – just 3 to be precise.

1. Cayman GTS: Almost the perfect Porsche. Vetoed by my son for obvious reasons. He wants the small back seats. But for that I’d say it’s the sweet spot of value-performance balance in Porsche range.
2. BMW M2 competition (CS was not available and hence not considered): Very capable and for the money I spent on 911, I could buy a brand new one with all the latest tech. If I were 10 years younger, I’d have put my money on it. It just felt too “rough”. The 3 L inline twin turbo is as capable as the Carerra S (both around 400 BHP). But the 400 horses in the BMW are always screaming and stretching the reins. At my age, it just leads to way too many butterflies in my stomach when driven at the edge. If it had a comfort mode somehow, I might have considered it strongly.
3. Lexus LC 500: The surprise package and I almost came close to buying one. Goes to show how much Lexus has turned the corner with the LC 500. The V8, naturally aspirated 5L motor producing 470 HP is a thing to behold. And the beauty of the car has earned it the sobriquet of “sex on wheels” and I can’t begin to tell how awesome it looks in real life. Pity the handling is still a bit iffy (still the best Lexus I’ve ever driven, by a mile) and back seat is even more uncomfortable compared to 911. Overall, the perfect grand tourer if you need only 2 seats.

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-lc.jpg

I did drive the Tesla Model 3 performance version. But never really considered it given its less than ideal handling and feedback (more importantly I want to enjoy the gasoline motors for a bit more). I also drove the 991.2 and the new 992 – phenomenal machines (I don’t care much about the fact that they are turbos and people being critical saying the turbos killed a bit of the linear 911 fun. Honestly, if I had the spare change, I’d get the 992 Carrera S – more car than I’d ever need)

For people interested in a bit more detail on the 911.1 Carrera S, please read on.

History

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4943.jpg

991 version of 911 came into being in 2012. It got lot of plaudit for design, going back to the old-world elliptical headlights and new generation interior making it a daily driver. However, purists did not like the fact that the steering was shifted to electrical. The model was completely revamped from the 997 but still very Porsche 911 in everything that mattered – seating, handling, performance.
It also became much longer and wider than a 911 had ever been. The idea was to improve driving dynamics which was always quirky with the rear engine & gearbox hanging out in the back after the rear wheels. Porsche has been at it for over 60 odd years and you can easily see how they have evolved 991 into a modern sports car while being true to their storied history.

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4724.jpg

Interior

It’s the typical 2+2 seating with the rear limited to small kids or grocery bags. However, it helps 911 differentiate from other sports cars through practicality.

Historically interiors have been Achille’s heel for Porsche especially before Panamera, Cayenne and later Macan. Not that they were bad but people forking that kind of money expected it to be uber luxurious which Porsche never really cared for. 991.1 was probably the first shift in their attitude from making pure performance machines to modern day live able cars. And it shows. Even then its still function over form. All buttons and controls are very ergonomic, and driver focused. Centre of instrument panel is ofcourse the old world tacho, towards the left of which is the speedo (upto 330 kmph) and then oil temp and pressure gauges. There is a new digital multi-function display on right which can be programmed to show a plethora of things including G Force and Pit stop/lap chrono timer.

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4685.jpg

Space remains premium but everything feels tight and sporty. I like the feel of the car enclosing you and almost forcing you to focus on the one thing that matters – driving- at the expense of everything else.

It still has many issues for people who want more than driving pleasure from an expensive car – not a lot of place to keep things (e.g. mobile, sunglass, water bottles, etc.), very small glove box, very small central storage console with a rather unergonomic opening lever. Seats while being good cannot be called luxurious. They do have 14-way adjustment and 2 memory functions (which can also be programmed onto two different keys).

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4806.jpg

No apple car play and the outdated PCM deserves all the brickbats it received.

Performance

The 3.8 liter flat six produces 395 HP. Power to weight is an impressive 280 bhp/ton. Its performance is stirring – almost like an opera, reaching it’s crescendo at the red line. It doesn’t make you feel out of your depths at any stage (unlike say the more savage M2 competition) and you can sit back and enjoy the performance. It’s enough power without being overbearing to control.
The good thing is you can put it in the normal mode and the 400 horses just lazily amble around. Especially with PSE off, I will never risk waking up my neighbors if I drive out late night. (Which for me is an important attribute). And then you can put it in sports and get the horses trot rapidly. And with the Sport+ you know they will be screaming their lungs out. And then you can add up the Exhaust system to get them grunt even better. For me this Dr Jekyll & Mr Hide performance is what makes 911 a very livable everyday car and then can do some magic on the track by pushing a few buttons.

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4719.jpg

The PDK is fantastic. Nothing more to add than what every reviewer has said. It’s a thing to behold. So much so that I never put it on manual or even use the rather oddly designed paddles.

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4687.jpg

S version comes with the normal mode (default), Sport and Sport+. Sport is good enough given it holds the revvs quite long and then lets PDK do its thing without batting an eyelid. With the Sport+ it almost redlines at every gear and the chassis becomes much stiffer. Both can be combined with PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) for added aural excitement and the manual spoiler for additional stability.

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4686.jpg

In the above pic, top left you can see the button for Sport and Sport+. Below Sport+ is the PDCC and below that the PASM (Porsche's safety assist) off button. In the middle panel, the first is to move the curtain for the sunroof, second for raising the roof and third for full opening.
The right most panel has 3 buttons - first for manually lifting the spoiler, second for the PSE and third one for auto start/stop off. (Which is automatically off in Sport and Sport+)
I found Sport good enough for my kind of driving – essentially avoiding license being taken away! Sport+ is seemingly best for tracking, which I haven’t done.
It has the launch control option like usual – just an addition from previous version is that launch control lights come up on the steering also. Press brake and kick down on A pedal to go over the kick down notch. Once launch control light comes on, quickly remove feet from brakes and pray for your tyres!!

Ride and handling

In one sentence, ride and handling is very good with the typical RWD feel. But it did not blow me away to be honest. My GT86 was almost as good at 1/5th the price. That is not to negate the advances Porsche made with 991 but just goes on to show what a great job Subaru & Toyota racing division did with the GT86 (esp. in handling, steering feedback and engaging ride). The drive is still very involved & precise with every bit of the road communicated through the chassis and steering. But I much prefer the Cayman esp on corners at speed.
I have the optional PDCC (Porsche dynamic chassis control) which helps in additional traction and stability when accelerating out of corners. I found it useful on curvy roads but the real benefit will be on lap times and I’m far from being a driver for whom this is going to be a material factor.

Exterior

The typical low 911 stance with the elliptical lights upfront – no one can ever mistake this for any other brand from any angle. It’s as beautiful as ever. Almost a vintage beauty. The lines are beautiful in a very German way, without trying to do too many things, creases and complexities. I think its the simplicity that has helped the 911 lines age so gracefully over so many decades.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4937.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2109354

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4797.jpg

The “boot” upfront can hold couple of bags and groceries. At the back there is nothing much of the engine visible if you lift up the “hood”. There are horizontal slats for air (which became vertical from 991.2 and then onto 992 – I prefer the new design).

The spoiler automatically comes up beyond cut off speed which IIRC is 140 kmph. One can also manually pull it up using a switch in the central console.

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4883.jpg

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4803.jpg

There is a sunroof which makes the cabin very airy for one of those relaxed outing in good weather.
The 20” classic wheels looks nice and I run the Pirelli PZeros on it which I don’t have any complaints about.

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4680.jpg

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4684.jpg

There is an option to have ceramic brakes but I find what I've more than enough. It has a bit of squeal which Ill probably get fixed in next service. The calipers are painted a nice red. The colored crests are a paid option it seems (A brand charging customer for their own crest on their own product!!) – a friend of mine jokingly said that if you go to a Porsche dealer and use their restroom, they’ll charge that as an option.

Final verdict

This is everything I wanted from my last naturally aspirated car and most likely the last non EV performance machine I will be buying in my life. It is what I will remember when I’m old, sitting in front of a fire and reminiscing about the gasoline era, probably to my grandchild who might never see one- and for sure it will bring a wicked smile on my face. At the end of the day that is all that matters – much more than any specifications or technicalities!
Attached Thumbnails
Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4738.jpg  

Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review-img_4742.jpg  

Last edited by snan : 17th January 2021 at 15:23.
snan is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 05:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 07:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review

Congrats @snan! Some really nice pics - they look like you copied from a car magazine

This car evokes so much emotion that you won't feel like comparing it's specs and dynamics with other cars.

Drive safe and have fun!
androdev is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 09:20   #4
BHPian

Re: Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1) Review

Hey snan,

That is a pretty nice Porsche.

A lot of people might tell that the 911 is a glorified VW Beetle . Or they might say that Porsche has no imagination and stuff. But they don't understand that the concept of the 911 was perfect from day one. That concept is the thing that makes the 911 great .

You have bought one of the best handling cars ever made. Do enjoy it to the fullest. Drive safe.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 10:18   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on the 911 !
Beautiful pictures and a great review.
The Normal, Sports & Sport + modes actually bring out different personalities in a single car.
123.rishabh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 17:50   #6
MSJ
BHPian

Congratulations @snan!

love the colour combination on this one, especially the red leather.
regarding PCM, I guess Porsche is offering an upgrade for PCM which includes both apple carplay and android auto.

Drive Safe.
MSJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 19:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Great review, and congratulations snan!

You should add something about the buying experience as well.
Old 19th January 2021, 09:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

One of my favourite sports cars ever!!! Lovely car and superb pics snan. Congrats.

Quote:
It is what I will remember when I’m old, sitting in front of a fire and reminiscing about the gasoline era, probably to my grandchild who might never see one- and for sure it will bring a wicked smile on my face. At the end of the day that is all that matters – much more than any specifications or technicalities!
Absolutely. And nothing better than a Porsche to bring a smile on your face at the end of the day. We might get enthusiast-friendly EVs, but I wonder what will happen once fully autonomous cars come in. Will be interesting to see what car makers like Porsche and Ferrari have in store for us.
ChiragM is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 11:40   #9
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Just like your Nexon thread the pictures are amazing. Some actually look like a Porsche brochure.

Brings back memories of my uncle's 90s Carrera 4S I got a chance to ride in a long while ago. The sound of Porsche flat-6 engines is quite unique. Even with them switching to liquid cooling.

Wish you a happy ownership with this sports car.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 14:04   #10
BHPian

Thanks all... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.rishabh View Post
Congratulations on the 911 !
Beautiful pictures and a great review.
The Normal, Sports & Sport + modes actually bring out different personalities in a single car.
Yes that was an important consideration for me. I don't want to always be screaming ahead. Especially if Im going to use it as every day drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJ View Post
Congratulations @snan!

love the colour combination on this one, especially the red leather.
regarding PCM, I guess Porsche is offering an upgrade for PCM which includes both apple carplay and android auto.

Drive Safe.
Interesting...I didnt know that. My sense is even if they provide that they are going to charge a Toyota corolla for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
One of my favourite sports cars ever!!! Lovely car and superb pics snan. Congrats.
Will be interesting to see what car makers like Porsche and Ferrari have in store for us.
Good question. I have had this chat with a bunch of industry folks and pretty much all of them feel driving car will remain a niche hobby in the world of driverless. There will always be people who get pleasure from driving car and for them there will always be niche products. Question is at what price would that be, given the high fixed cost for producing these products. For a Ferrari, Lambo etc it might not matter as much but for Porsche it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Just like your Nexon thread the pictures are amazing. Some actually look like a Porsche brochure.

Brings back memories of my uncle's 90s Carrera 4S I got a chance to ride in a long while ago. The sound of Porsche flat-6 engines is quite unique. Even with them switching to liquid cooling.

Wish you a happy ownership with this sports car.
Thanks for the kind words. Glad I could bring back some nostalgia !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks