Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2021, 17:55   #16
BHPian

Re: My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too

Congratulations on the "new" acquisition. A lateral upgrade enables you to have your cake and eat it too. Loved your write up. Enjoy the car.
eyeman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 17:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too

The beauty of buying pre-worshipped . The car is a stunner in that silver shade. Definitely the choice for someone going higher up from the Rapid.

Congratulations on the ride ! It is indeed a Value for Money package and waiting to see more pictures, especially the interiors.

Wishing you a happy ownership experience.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 18:05   #18
BHPian

Thank you all for the wishes! This means a lot to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
.... nice to know the year and month of manufacture and how many kms the car had at the time of purchase. If it is all right with you, what price did you pay and how much does the same variant cost new on road in Bangalore. I have frequently read about how tight the used car dealer market in Bangalore is. Will be nice to have insight with actual numbers.
Finally, hope you are trying to get the longest warranty possible if that is permitted with Skoda to get post facto. You seem to keep your cars long - a car like Superb will only help that given how hard it is to upgrade from. An extended warranty should go a long way in making that ownership as risk free and peaceful as practicable.
  • June 2018 make and had about 22K on the ODO when I bought.
  • As per car insurance policy IDV is 23.5L, which is my reference price. I have paid a slight premium above that. Agree, in general Bangalore used car dealers are tough to negotiate. But I don’t give a hoot for the dealer, car is what matters. Always have a price range in mind before start negotiating.
  • It has only 2+2 year warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
...Was this a dealer car itself that you had test-driven, and how were the warranty terms? Can the second owner extend the warranty later & for how many years? And finally, the price so that it will help the future buyers.
Also, some pics of the interior, please!
  • I had test driven Brand new cars as well at the authorised dealerships to get a feel and reference. I had also test driven the cars I shorlisted to buy.
  • I have visited authorised service centre before sealing the deal. This had certainly gave me some peace of mind. I strongly recommend this approach for relatively new cars.
  • Yes extended warranty can be transferred w/o any issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulerianeeraj View Post
1. What about Ground clearance? Did you faced any issues so far?
2. Would love to see some shots of the interiors if possible.
3. This and the next question is with respect to RAPID. How did you found out that Injector has gone kaput? Was it some drop in vehicle performance or you came to know about it during regular checkup?
4. Any issues with gearbox so far (Rapid + Superb)?
I was not aware about the fact that driving in low fuel will be actually be responsible for clogging the injector. After reading above I realised the point is absolutely valid and I need to change my habit of refuelling only when reserve light switches on. Thank you for the info.
  • I felt the ground clearance is few mm higher than Rapid. I haven't scraped any of those mountainous Bangalore speed breakers.
  • Will share some interior pics in a week or two. I thought those doesn’t add much value here.
  • I came to know about the injector after the diagnosis only. During the journey, engine power dropped suddenly. The very moment noticed a glow plug + engine warning light on the instrument cluster. I checked for any oil leakage etc. and drove back to my trusted FNG (Chowdary's Car Clinic, JP Nagar, Bangalore).
  • Rapid was with MT gearbox, touch wood all through 10 years. Superb just started so fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
…. I have a Jetta 2.0 TDI that has crossed over 100K Km that I bought pre-owned and is running fine. It just keeps on chugging along without a fuss as long as you ensure proper maintenance. I've been contemplating another pre-owned car to refresh our ageing stable and am fed up with the used car dealers I have come across in KA. The expected prices seem to indicate an attitude of I buy new or used but the next buyer needs to bear the depreciation! I would love to have a chat with you sometime about your experience.
  • Glad to know that your Jetta already crossed 100K and going strong, that is some inspiration.
  • As mentioned above Bangalore dealers are difficult to negotiate, but our focus should be on car.
  • Astronomical prices of the D segment new cars motivated me enough to take the pain of finding a used car.
  • My pleasure If I am of any help to you, I know how important those little clarifications during the selection process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Excellent choice of vehicle, hillsnrains and a very evocative TBHP handle name too :-). I am glad you went for this one over the pre-worshipped Tiguan. ..
  • I love lush green mountains especially during monsoons, hence my handle. Now there are no rains but still headed for Westren ghats for the first long drive
  • Thanks for that wonderful advice during my selection process. I would like to thank all the BHPians those directly (suggestions) and indirectly (reviews and posts) helped during my purchase process. I am proud to be part of this community where everybody is always ready to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PradoGdr88 View Post
Noob Question Alert!
I just read about the fuel injector going kaput because of the fuel level maintained being low. Is this applicable only for diesel Rapids? The reason I ask is because I own a Petrol Rapid and of late, I too have been guilty of the same mistake.
  • Nothing is noob in T-BHP, The common reason for injector clogging is due to the dirt collected in the tank over the years. Even though the individual particles may be small in size (can slip through fuel filter), but many collectively can block narrow injector passages. As per my knowledge this is the most common cause. In my case I have verified that there is no fuel delivery at injector number 3.
  • Having said that, there are many diesel Rapid’s/Vento’s running around w/o any issue with injectors. Irrespective of fuel type I would advise not to drive with nearly empty fuel tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer23 View Post
Excellent write-up & wonderful car! Hearty congratulations & wish you a ton of happy driving.
Finding a good used vehicle is indeed a challenge in Bangalore. Could you suggest the used car dealers you tried?
  • As I mentioned earlier, dealer is not important but the car is. Largely I relied on the leads from OLX, Quikr. You can find some knowledgeable dealers like Gear2Gear but the prices are slightly on higher side. As I said, check the car inside-out and have a price range in mind and then negotiate. This approached worked for me.
hillsnrains is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 19:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great write-up of a great car!
Ownership details like yours (I mean the decision making process, the short list considerations etc) are the ideal source of motivation for someone who wants to take the route.
Wishing you many miles, more than what you got with the Rapid

And must say, your Rapid looked good even after all that mile munching.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 18:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Congratulations on the Superb choice of a car, hillsnrains! It's a lot better car with simply clever luxury touches than any of the other cars on your list. I'm sure you'll have many happy miles with the car. The business gray looks awesome in person both under natural daylight and at night. IIRC it was exclusive to the L&K.
Thanks for the wishes as well as your time for replying point by point. Appreciate!

Quote:
Yes, part of the multimedia system does eat into the cooled glovebox space. However you can utilize the passenger's under seat storage box for keeping these items.
Passenger’s underseat storage is not there in my car. Even if it is there also, very difficult to access when I am alone in the car.

Quote:
I don't believe Superb had/has ACC. It's just Cruise control with Speed limiter.
I stand corrected.

Quote:
What about the cubby under the headlight switch?
Size is small for wallet and also little way from cabin light. Time being I am planning to keep some cash in this and use.

Quote:
Once you turn on and off the accessory mode and press down the wiper stalk for a second, it should bring them to the service position. Ideally shouldn't have to crank.
Thanks for the tip, it worked like a charm.

Quote:
True. These are passive TPMS systems unfortunately.
Yes, you would have to reset it post every top-up.
You might explore proper TPMS options such as Sensairy for better instrumentation.
Time being I will live with it. I will go with proper TPMS system when I change tyres.

Quote:
Since Superb has headlight washers, each time you wash your windshield at night, it sprays the headlights too. This results in rapid depletion in windshield washer fluid levels. I would normally turn off my lights, spray & turn them back on at night. Additionally, do keep a premix of about 2 liters of washer fluid in the boot if feasible. This has saved me umpteen number of times during monsoon trips.

That's a bummer!
TAFE should be able to source it for you if you provide them the part numbers.
Thanks for the tip again on the saving the windshield washer fluid. As you rightly mentioned it’s ~2L capacity, so I will prefer to top-up than carry in boot.
Missing umbrella’s are a disappointment but will procure them in some way.
Old 26th March 2021, 20:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post

Thanks for the tip again on the saving the windshield washer fluid. As you rightly mentioned it’s ~2L capacity, so I will prefer to top-up than carry in boot.
Missing umbrella’s are a disappointment but will procure them in some way.
Congrats on the "Superb" purchase. Wishing you many thousands of happy miles. TDIs are good workhorses and the 6 speed wet clutch DSG is the better one from the Vag stable. Get the extended warranty and it will be a great help.

On the washer fluid, is the capacity only 2 liters? In octavia, its about 5 liters. I do carry 2 bottles of 2 liter water always in the boot as a backup, though.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 08:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Can you please mention what was the quoted price by the dealer? Will help prospective buyers to check by how much we can get the price reduced in this post Covid 19 market.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 22:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Congratulations. The Superb L&K is indeed an epitome of luxury in its category. I would always pick the Superb over the Passat or even the Audi A6 for the sheer VFM it offers. You are lucky to get hold of a neat and relatively new piece. It almost looks like new at the 3M place. If you are ok with it can you please share some information on your purchase price vs. its on-road price when bought new in 2018 along with the dealership experience? Please see if you can get the extended warranty if you plan to keep it for long.
Happy and safe motoring.
Thanks for the wishes. Agree with you, entire family couldn’t think of any other car after experiencing Superb!
I have mentioned in one of the above posts that IDV was my reference price. I haven’t checked on-road price in 2018. Thanks for your suggestion on extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Congratulations. That is a wonderful purchase. You pretty much wrote down all the requirements that I am thinking in my head for upgrading my Vento when it is close to 10 years, Although that is still a couple of years away. A great decision to go for a preowned a car 2 clear segments above the Rapid.
Wish you many miles of happy ownership.
Thanks for wishes. I struggled a lot for last 2-3 years in finding appropriate upgrade for my aging car, due to which I kept on postponing my decision. All the best for your future upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
From Rapid to Superb, what an upgrade! Generally, I see people upgrade their Rapid to crossovers like Seltos/ Creta/ Harrier/ Compass, but you have jumped from one segment to the above segment!
Anyways, congratulations on buying this beauty and the looks beautiful in this colour though I liked it in Magnetic brown, the colour which one of my dad's friends own a Superb, and can you please disclose the price of the vehicle so that it will be more useful for future car buyers!…..
I too thought in the beginning about going for Seltos or Harrier. After back to back test drives I realised these cross overs are not offering much on beyond gizmos. Mechanical specifications such as power/torque, interior space, suspension set-up, fit and finish are at par with Rapid. The only real advantage of these cross overs is the increased ground clearance, which is not the most important factor for me.
I have mentioned indicative price in the above post. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
The beauty of buying pre-worshipped . The car is a stunner in that silver shade. Definitely the choice for someone going higher up from the Rapid.
Congratulations on the ride ! It is indeed a Value for Money package and waiting to see more pictures, especially the interiors.
Wishing you a happy ownership experience.
Sorry for not mentioning the car colour, it’s not silver but Business Grey colour.
Sure will upload some interior pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Wishing you many miles, more than what you got with the Rapid
And must say, your Rapid looked good even after all that mile munching.
Thanks for the wishes. Rapid always parked under shade and cleaned by me all through the ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
…..On the washer fluid, is the capacity only 2 liters? In octavia, its about 5 liters. I do carry 2 bottles of 2 liter water always in the boot as a backup, though.
You are right the capacity is 4.7 ltrs.
Name:  washer_fluid.PNG
Views: 1800
Size:  375.0 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Can you please mention what was the quoted price by the dealer? Will help prospective buyers to check by how much we can get the price reduced in this post Covid 19 market.
I have mentioned the indicative prices in one of the above posts. Most of the dealers quoting high prices which also depends on the state. Don’t give too much weightage to what dealers quote. I would advise to check the vehicle condition and then decide how much is a fair value compared to IDV. My two cents.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 23:13   #24
BHPian

Was checking in the new Superb and happened to notice that the auto dimming feature on the external rear view mirror is now restricted to onlythe driver side. This is clear cost cutting.

What about the one your Superb? Hope both the external rearview mirrors are autodimming/antireflective ones
Old 29th March 2021, 14:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Was checking in the new Superb and happened to notice that the auto dimming feature on the external rear view mirror is now restricted to only the driver side. This is clear cost cutting.

What about the one your Superb? Hope both the external rearview mirrors are autodimming/antireflective ones
Both the rear view mirrors are anti-reflective.
One small observation, both rear view wing mirrors have anti-reflective film but doesn't cover entire glass area. There is a unmaskead area of few MM along the edge.
Old 29th March 2021, 15:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I have mentioned in one of the above posts that IDV was my reference price. I haven’t checked on-road price in 2018.
Apologies for being intrusive, but you have kind of done what I - and seems many posters in this thread - have always thought of doing but couldn't pull off. More than the absolute price you paid, I would be really interested in knowing the negotiation process and the discount from the initially quoted price you got? A lot of similar cars are quoted above 30L in Olx and other places.
shobhit.shri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 18:50   #27
BHPian

Hello all,

I had some some more updates to share,

Extended warranty: I can buy 5th & 6th year extended warranty before the expiry of current standard warranty valid till mid 2022. This should give me peace of mind till 2024. The cost quoted for 5th and 6th year extended warranty is ~77K.

Non functional 12V power outlets: As mentioned in my opening post all three (Driver console, rear seat and boot) 12V outlets were not functioning due to blown out fuse. Which has been replaced now, surprisingly all three outlets have one common fuse.

2 year Maintenance Package: Tafe Access service adviser suggested to go for a 2 year maintenance package which costs about 25K. I have couple of months time to decide on this, any input/feedback on this from fellow Skoda/Superb owners will be appreciated.

Body Scratches: I will always clean/wash car myself, never opted for the service of society cleaning guys. This is when I have started realizing the huge proportions of the car. Recently noticed one minor scratch on the bonnet, mostly caused by the stone pebble on highway. There is also a small paint chip-off on the edge of the fuel cap opening, should be caused by those slippery fuel pump guns.

I could capture some pics Yesterday, so let pictures do the talking,
Neat front cabin
My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too-dashboard.jpg

Excellent leg-room in the front and of course those electric seat adjustment controls, spacious ventilated seats.
My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too-front_seats.jpg

Here are the driver controls, notice separate child locks for two rear doors
My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too-door_controls.jpg

Attention to details, lining on the door pockets.
My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too-door_liner.jpg

Very crisp and responsive head unit. Notice there is no L&K branding on the gear lever.
My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too-hu.jpg

Much talked rear cabin, this is one of those few cars I liked sitting at rear also. Three adults can sit pretty comfortably, despite that huge hump in the middle. Ventilated seats at the rear could have taken experience to a different level.
My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too-rear_seat.jpg

Useful window blinds at rear
My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too-window_blind.jpg

L&K badge
My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too-lk.jpg

Neatly arranged engine bay
My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too-engine_bay.jpg

However battery top is exposed, little more protection could have been better
My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too-battery.jpg

A parting shot
My pre-worshipped Skoda Superb | Jumped from one Skoda to another Skoda, jumped a segment too-savanadurga.jpg
hillsnrains is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 19:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

I had some some more updates to share,

Extended warranty: I can buy 5th & 6th year extended warranty before the expiry of current standard warranty valid till mid 2022. This should give me peace of mind till 2024. The cost quoted for 5th and 6th year extended warranty is ~77K.

2 year Maintenance Package: Tafe Access service adviser suggested to go for a 2 year maintenance package which costs about 25K. I have couple of months time to decide on this, any input/feedback on this from fellow Skoda/Superb owners will be appreciated.
Hi, would recommend to take both of these. Extended warranty is a must. And better to take it at the earliest. When introduced, RSA was also added. Now removed and price remains the same. Maybe they will increase the price later.

On Maintenence package, if you have the 4th (60k) or 6th year(90k) service comes up, then that alone will cost you nearly this much. So it's better to take it. Also parts cost and labour cost keeps increasing. Net net you will be saving more, including interest, by going for these packs.
Old 5th April 2021, 17:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
Apologies for being intrusive, but you have kind of done what I - and seems many posters in this thread - have always thought of doing but couldn't pull off. More than the absolute price you paid, I would be really interested in knowing the negotiation process and the discount from the initially quoted price you got? A lot of similar cars are quoted above 30L in Olx and other places.
Apologies for delayed response. No worries, I will be happy to help.

Initially price quoted by dealer was 28L. After quick visual inspection, I have asked what can be the best price (here I haven't quoted any price). After little bit of dilly dallying price reduced by 1L. I have returned home and did some research to find approximate on road price in brand new condition and then derived the IDV. After 3-4 days, I had again visited dealer this time with family. We did a short test drive and then I revealed my expectation (my estimated IDV). Dealer straight away declined and said they can't reduce price any further. We were little disappointed and came back. After 2 days the sales advisor called (this is the only second dealer who did follow-up call) and asked if I can increase my offer price. I paid third visit and negotiated the price to mid-way and closed the deal on the condition of satisfactory inspection by Skoda ASS. Then we had some 25 KM test drive to authorised service centre, with an positive end result. To be honest with you, little bit of luck is required in buying a pre-worshipped car.
If you need more insights, please DM me we can talk over phone

Quote:
Hi, would recommend to take both of these. Extended warranty is a must. And better to take it at the earliest. When introduced, RSA was also added. Now removed and price remains the same. Maybe they will increase the price later.

On Maintenance package, if you have the 4th (60k) or 6th year(90k) service comes up, then that alone will cost you nearly this much. So it's better to take it. Also parts cost and labour cost keeps increasing. Net net you will be saving more, including interest, by going for these packs.
Thanks dude for the suggestions. I will buy extended warranty ASAP.
On the maintenance package, agree parts/consumables cost will only increase. Hence by opting for package means peace of mind for next two years.

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th May 2021 at 09:40. Reason: As requested
Old 25th June 2021, 20:36   #30
BHPian

Quick updates:

Not much action/travel happend in the last two months, hardly clocked few hundred kilometres. I have to renew the insurance during lockdown and annual service was also due. Here are few quick updates

Extended Warranty: Finally got the 5th and 6th year extended warranty, which costed me 77,800/-. Unfortunately, this doesn't include Road side assitance.

Insurance: I have opted for future Generali zero depreciation insurance, damage to pocket is 45K. Due to ownership transfer, there is no No-claim bonus.

Annual Service: Lockdown restrictions were relaxed and got the service done this week at Tafe Access, Bangalore. I couldn’t activate the 25,999/- two year service package due to garage closure. The service package activation requires 4-5 days after opting for it, which could have reduce the final cost by couple of thousands. Rear brake pads required replacement, which costed me ~12K including labour. Total service bill came to 27K, quite expensive

The good news is that car is touch wood and doesn't have any squeaks or rattles
hillsnrains is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks