Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2021, 19:54   #16
BHPian

Re: My New Blauer Pfeil | BMW M340i Review

What a beauty! Wishing you many happy miles ahead!

Funnily enough, I can relate to the stalk quality situation. There is a certain 'umph' factor that Mercedes stalks have over others.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 03:30   #17
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations on your purchase. Wish you many many happy miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post
Tyres

The M340i come standard with the 18" RFTs. I got the upgraded 19" All weather Pirelli RFTs. I was considering the performance ones, but was advised on this one. I haven't done a lot of comparison between the Performance ones and the All Weather. The all weather ones, I was told are a slightly harder compound with better grip in snow and winter conditions as compared to the pure performance ones. I was also told that the Performance ones tend to wear off quicker. Readers can comment on it. I don't know how true was that statement.
Absolutely Correct.
Hard compound tyres are less grippy but they last longer, softer compounds are opposite:- they wear off quicker, but they give god like grip, they're sticky. That's why race bikes and cars have tyres which last at best 250-500 miles.

Secondly, mostly the performance tyres have lesser grooves, they're more slick. This helps them on the road as there is more rubber contacting the road, hence generally more grip.
Where they fail terribly is, on the wet roads, and even more so, on the gravel, sand, off road, etc. because the grooves in tyres help disperse the water, mud, loose particles and all.. Here, all weather tyres are better with their grooves.

That said, as a rule of the thumb, you should have sufficient grip in summer daylight (hot road), even these all purpose ones, even when pushing hard, if they're meant for the car segment you're in.
Plus generally these hard compounds make the engine perform better in acceleration and top end. Softer compounds stick well, but they rob (very slightly only, though) the engine of usable performance.

One more thing, since you changed the diameter of the tyres, its quite possible your final gearing has been increased.. i.e. the rpm at a particular speed will now be lower than before (on 18"). Others, correct me if I'm wrong.

Wish you well.

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 30th March 2021 at 03:44.
Samarth 619 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 17:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatpack392 View Post
Great Review Nikhil!! Can't wait to see this beast in real! Counting days to our meet!
Hi Abhijit,

Thank you. Me too, counting the days to our meet and see your Charger too

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
What a beauty! Wishing you many happy miles ahead!

Funnily enough, I can relate to the stalk quality situation. There is a certain 'umph' factor that Mercedes stalks have over others.
Hi AkSarkar1,

Thank you.

True, the Benz has a certain degree of quality on the stalks and buttons which just adds that finesse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
Hearty Congratulations on your purchase. Wish you many many happy miles.

Absolutely Correct.
Hard compound tyres are less grippy but they last longer, softer compounds are opposite:- they wear off quicker, but they give god like grip, they're sticky.
Wish you well.
Hi Samarth,
Thank you and thank you for your inputs on the tyre compounds. Feels good that my decision for all weather over performance is reinforced.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd April 2021 at 08:48. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
nikhilarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 00:28   #19
BHPian

Massive congratulations on the M340i!

Though this post is not entirely related to the car, are you guys having a TBHP meet in the midwest or something?

I am in the midwest, and would love to have a meetup with fellow Tbhp members!

Please do let me know! (I drive a VA manual WRX)
ruchiragrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 03:47   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
Absolutely Correct.
Hard compound tyres are less grippy but they last longer, softer compounds are opposite:- they wear off quicker, but they give god like grip, they're sticky. That's why race bikes and cars have tyres which last at best 250-500 miles.

Secondly, mostly the performance tyres have lesser grooves, they're more slick. This helps them on the road as there is more rubber contacting the road, hence generally more grip.
Where they fail terribly is, on the wet roads, and even more so, on the gravel, sand, off road, etc. because the grooves in tyres help disperse the water, mud, loose particles and all.. Here, all weather tyres are better with their grooves.

That said, as a rule of the thumb, you should have sufficient grip in summer daylight (hot road), even these all purpose ones, even when pushing hard, if they're meant for the car segment you're in.
Plus generally these hard compounds make the engine perform better in acceleration and top end. Softer compounds stick well, but they rob (very slightly only, though) the engine of usable performance.
Thanks for that lovely refresher course on the tyres. While I know most of it but, over a period of time I had completely forgotten the technicalities of how a tire is built differently for different purposes

I too have opted all weather tyres for my Bimmer and it's what I think a regular user should always go for unless you are a die hard track enthusiast who spends lot of time at track to permanently have slicks on the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchiragrawal View Post
I am in the midwest, and would love to have a meetup with fellow Tbhp members! Please do let me know! (I drive a VA manual WRX)
Nice to know you are based in Chicago. We have another member also based there. Please go through this thread and subscribe to it to know the latest developments. Next meet is planned on April 18th in Detroit

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-...s-detroit.html (Team BHP USA meets in Detroit)
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 18:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchiragrawal View Post
Massive congratulations on the M340i!

Though this post is not entirely related to the car, are you guys having a TBHP meet in the midwest or something?

I am in the midwest, and would love to have a meetup with fellow Tbhp members!
Hi Ruchiragrawal,
Thank you.

Mobike008 sent you the link on the Detroit Meetup thread. We have an offline group as well for quicker communication. I'll be happy to add you to it.

Glad to know, fellow BHP'ians joining the bang-wagon on the meet. We have another WRX STI on the group as well.
Old 31st March 2021, 21:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Nikhil Happy for you, finally you got a beast you dreamt of always! Wish you all Happy S(miles)

Looking forward to seeing the beauty in person!
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 18:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Congratulations Nikhil Happy for you, finally you got a beast you dreamt of always! Wish you all Happy S(miles)

Looking forward to seeing the beauty in person!
Thank you Fusionbang aka Sunay.

Looking forward to meeting you as well during the Detroit Meet being planned.
Old 5th April 2021, 20:14   #24
BHPian

Quick update on one month Ownership review.

I got the Digital Key. Looks pretty classy with the M strips on it. Like one of those premium credit cards

Once it's configured, place it on the door to unlock. Place it on the Wireless Charging pad, start engine and drive off.

My New Blauer Pfeil | BMW M340i Review-digital-key.jpeg

Funny part, though you need one key to be present in the car while configuring the Digital Key, the key itself gets paired with the Guest Profile. Meaning, all the customized settings you painstakingly did initially, will not be available.

I still need to check if I can switch between profiles using the Pin on the iDrive system.

The configuration itself took multiple attempts .

Would like to get a pulse on fellow Bimmer owners and their experience with the Digital Key.

Also, the Phone based app is only available for Apple users. Wonder when it'll be available for android users.

I am yet to configure the second Key fob with the second driver profile and test it out. More on that, once I do.

The dealership also sent across this cute little BMW Key Ring
My New Blauer Pfeil | BMW M340i Review-key-ring.jpeg
nikhilarni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 18:49   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quick update on one month Ownership review.

I got the Digital Key. Looks pretty classy with the M strips on it. Like one of those premium credit cards Also, the Phone based app is only available for Apple users. Wonder when it'll be available for android users.

I am yet to configure the second Key fob with the second driver profile and test it out. More on that, once I do.

The dealership also sent across this cute little BMW Key Ring
That's a nice looking Digital Key. Does it feel like a hotel room card or heavy and solid like an Apple Credit Card? I use an Apple CC so I know how heavy it can get

And, I agree that BMW seems to have done a few things keeping iOS users in mind. Not that I am complaining as I am a huge apple fan
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 19:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That's a nice looking Digital Key. Does it feel like a hotel room card or heavy and solid like an Apple Credit Card?
True, It's got a nice textured & weighted feel to it, and not flimsy by any means but not as heavy as the Apple Card though.
Old 22nd April 2021, 06:23   #27
BHPian

Did my first long-ish trip from Pittsburgh to Detroit. Boy! What a treat that B58 engine is.

I tried out the Comfort mode and the Eco Pro on the turnpike ( Highway ). Eco Pro is super quiet, makes the ride smoother and definitely better on the gas too. Watch out for that review. It was a good 750+ miles

This post is about the HUD which I used for the Navigation.

• Good contrast
  • Configurable
  • Relevant info at a glance
  • The speed warning also comes up with a ding

Dislikes
  • Can get distracting esp if you put your music on it
  • Too much information
  • Wonder why would BMW put a tilt feature on it. Who drives with their heads tilted sideways

Definitely love the navigational instructions and the colored details.

My New Blauer Pfeil | BMW M340i Review-hud-2.jpeg

Contrast is pretty good. You can clearly see the details on the HUD even in bright sunlight.

Information displayed are
1. Path towards the exit
2. Exit number on the top
3. Speed / Cruise control speed set
4. Road Speed limit
5. Road Name.

The location of the Map / road can be configured to display the track / music you are playing as well. But I prefer that to be on the centre screen.
nikhilarni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 21:51   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This post is about the HUD which I used for the Navigation
The information provided on BMW Navigation is phenomenal and is lot more than Apple Maps or Google Maps. And, the interface on the HUD looks nice too

However, in ID7 it is pretty confusing and orientation is also not clear. When I was driving your car, it confused me a lot. I have never tried the BMW navigation in my car and will try it soon and let you know if i find it comfortable

I love Apple maps (primarily for it's super clean interface, traffic lights, stop signals on crossroads, Speed camera warning which are not there in google maps) and find it much easier to use. Not to mention the instantaneous connect to Carplay and seamless transition from one iPhone to another iPhone
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks