Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2007, 17:16   #16
BHPian

I have not seen this car in real but it looks good in picture. The pricing mentioned above is very high..........Some day GM will have to think about it.
Old 30th April 2007, 20:55   #17
BHPian

A nice review GTO.

Small car for 5 L . Are they kidding. Are they trying to earn twice on single unit.

Are they trying to position it against Palio Stile 1.6 / Getz 1.3 GLS / may be Swift ZXi (with discount).

GM has always been at premium. Take example of Corsa sail or may be the latest U-va.

Guys I feel they seriously need few pricing experts from TBHP to show the correct pricing.
Old 30th April 2007, 22:39   #18
BHPian

I too thought that the Spark will be a 3 - 4 lac car :-(
Old 30th April 2007, 23:33   #19
BHPian

even daewoo goofed up on pricing the matiz initially.that was when most of the parts were brought in from korea in a semi-knockdown basis.once their surajpur plant took over and when when the sales slowed down,the daewoo think tank slashed prices and brought in 4 variants.
one would think GM should have learnt something from daewoo.
wonder how the market is going to react to spark.
Old 30th April 2007, 23:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Matiz has initially been priced high when Daewoo released it. There was only one model and the pricing was so premium. I begged my friend not to take the car so quickly. He got one of the first few cars in Kerala, I think the 9 or 10 car.

After a few months, Daewoo realised the folly and released many models with a cut in pricing. Maybe we can expect history to repeat.
Old 1st May 2007, 00:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

The pricing is certainly on the higher side especially for a small car. GM would have been better off learning from the experience of the Daewoo Matiz but it seems like GM will have to learn from its own experience. The numbers in the forthcoming months should peg the price at a decent level. Lets wait and watch !
Old 1st May 2007, 13:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Good point but problem is that the Swift Diesel right now has no direct competition whereas the Spark is being lauched in an end of the market where there is cut-throat competition. Look at how many rivals it has:

Zen Estilo, WagonR, Santro, Palio, Indica and due to their absurd pricing it has gone into the Swift, Getz, U-VA segment also.

How do you expect the car to suceed if the overall impression is that of over pricing & poor VFM? Secondly, apart from Novelty & Looks I don't really see a USP for the Spark. GM is already hyping that the car will give 27kmpl but we all know how true that is going to be.

another customer there told him that with discount he can get the Santro top model for around 3.80L. So he's now much more interested in the Santro over the Spark.
No, I dont expect the car to be a hit. The biggest drawback IMHO would be the cenre placement of the dials. A normal car buyer would certainly find that hard to digest. My opinion for the logic of price was based on the following.

1. GM has just launched the car. So keeping an extrememly low price tag wont be a good move. As you mentioned cut-throat competition may kill spark, GM is keeping the price card to itself for now. baleno didnt sell at 8 but did sell a lot at 6.

2. Their production capacity is very limited. So GM can price the car high and cash in with the limited sales until they get the problems ironed out and then correct the price.

3. Not all parts are localized yet. santro, wagonR and even the palio have been around for long. Also these cars have already gone through price modifications.

4. Spark is currently produced by replacing the production of other models. hence GM is trying to cover those costs.

And yes its cramped.
Old 1st May 2007, 13:54   #23
Team-BHP Support

GM can make 2500 sparks a month, at this price it can sell 2500 units a month, so I guess they took this gamble.
In two years down the line they will drop the price in 5K increments citing "increased localisation".
20K below current price its a great deal
Old 1st May 2007, 13:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Zen Estilo LXi - 4.02L onroad (AC, PS, front power windows)
WagonR LXi - 4.08L onorad (AC, PS)
Santro XL - 3.96L onroad (AC, PS, front power windows and discounts)
Wonder how does this compare with the Xeta GLS/X.
The colours on these newer cars ,Spark and E(femminate)stilo, look like they belong to something you take out of a wrapper and eat.
Old 1st May 2007, 14:23   #25
BHPian

I don't see ANY reason for the premium pricing policy adopted by GM for its entire line... none of it's cars are outright performers (in fact the opposite's true), so VFM becomes a big selling point... how does GM expect to succeed without VFM is something I can't figure out!!!
Old 1st May 2007, 22:40   #26
NSX
BHPian

I came away not too impressed with the SPARK. As a product offereing it has nothing really to challenge its peers, to make matters worse GM have botched the pricing too. Lets wish the SPARK luck, it may need that to survive beyond the first 3 months.
Old 1st May 2007, 23:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Me and abhibh went for a TD yesterday and we were not at all imperessed with the car the car boot was to small and the speedo in the center was a disapointment

but the fullyloaded spark in chandigarh is for 4.33 with alloys and ABS but a fullyloaded santro cost less and the swift lxi is only 3.99

so we both came out after seeing the car and we couldn't get a TD for it because the TD car had gone to shimla

overall i didn't like the car for myself but if i the price is reduced i would consider it for my little sister
Old 1st May 2007, 23:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

The Spark is good looking & very promising car, but its high price will certainly take a toll on the sales figures.

At this price, I would prefer the WagonR/Swift LXi or Indica Xeta gls
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:23   #29
Team-BHP Support

GM seems to be over-pricing their cars with respect to the competition in the respective segments.

Case to note here are the Spark, the UVA, and the Aveo.
Spark would lose out on numbers to the tried and trusted Santro, Wagon R, Swift brigade, the UVA would eat dust thanks to the Swift, and the Aveo has already been suffering the onslaught of the City and the Fiesta.
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
GM seems to be over-pricing their cars with respect to the competition in the respective segments.

Case to note here are the Spark, the UVA, and the Aveo.
Spark would lose out on numbers to the tried and trusted Santro, Wagon R, Swift brigade, the UVA would eat dust thanks to the Swift, and the Aveo has already been suffering the onslaught of the City and the Fiesta.

though its too early to comment on the Spark, but yes the U-VA and AVEO are already facing the dust....

btw here are the OTR prices in Pune for Spark

1.0 E = 355728
1.0 Base = 380923
LS = 411107
LT = 444284
LT with ABS+Alloys = 478674

Last edited by zakaaaaasss : 2nd May 2007 at 11:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks