Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2022, 10:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG_TOURER View Post
1 YEAR 31000 KMS UPDATE

So, after almost 1 year and covering around 31000kms in the Tucson
A heartfelt congratulations on completing 1year/30000kms with your Tucson. Being a fellow owner I almost completely resonate with you. It is an excellent SUV and that excellent engine and gearbox is truly praiseworthy and one has to experience it to understand how good it really is.

Quote:
provoked by less powerful cars like harrier, jeep compass etc honking and flashing lights on me. A full pedal to metal input on this car makes these cars disappear in my rear view mirror, such is the engine response from the 2L engine
This is eerily similar to my driving scenario, I'm a sedate driver most of the time but when I'm in the mood to have some fun, the Tucson never leaves me disappointed or asking for more and even in Eco mode the car delivers a solid grunt, the brakes too are excellent and bring this 1.7tonne SUV to halt from triple digit speeds without any drama.

Quote:
The 1 year ownership hasn't been a fuss free for me and i had quite a bit of niggles with the car including a major one.
Sad to know that you faced these niggles. I would be completing my 1st anniversary with the Tucson in a couple of months or so and touchwood I haven't faced these issues but still I would be wary about the same from now on.

Quote:
Upon asking why a catalytic convertor failed just under 30k kms of ownership, the SA had admitted to using wrong engine oil during the 3rd service which might have caused the Catalytic convertor to fail. They had used BS4 engine oil instead of using BS6 engine oil which led to failure of the catalytic convertor.
This is one thing every BS6 diesel owner should be extremely careful about, another fellow BHPian @srikhanthmadhava had faced the same case of wrong engine oil put in his BS6 diesel Creta. IIRC the correct grade of oil for BS6 diesel would be 0W-20 but the service people fill 15W-40 oil instead, so you have to even if the SA knows you have to explicitly mention the same and ask him to remind the service men about the same to be on the safer side, good to know that they acknowledged the same and honoured the warranty.

Quote:
Rattles from the sunroof This is something which is there..
This is very disheartening to know and silicon spray is the only fix, touchwood I haven't faced the same.

Quote:
Alignment issue If you own a Tucson, please dont make the mistake of doing wheel alignment from outside alignment shop as they may not have the necessary scanning tools to recalibrated the sensors
Not just the Tucson, if you own any modern Hyundai get alignment done from the ASS only, my friend who owns the Elite i20 had to face the same issue as you as his car was equipped with a steering position indicator which can be calibrated correctly only by Hyundai.

Quote:
4) Exhaust pipe detached from the mufler at 30k kms
Poor weld quality by Hyundai
A rare quality lapse by Hyundai that too in Tucson especially given the fact that it is their flagship SUV and is a CKD. Touchwood, I hope I won't have to face it! Sorry to interrupt, you didn't mention about the Tyres (the new Pirelli ones), IIRC Enroute your Ladakh trip the OE tyres had failed and you changed all the tyres then only, how has it held up. I'm confused whether I should stick with the OE size or do an upgrade. Thank you!

Quote:
I usually keep cars for more than 5 years but i dont think i would like to keep the tucson for that long. I will look forward to sell the car off once the warranty expires (5 years/140000kms)
Actually, this sentence wraps it up all and is very disheartening to know indeed, hope you have no issues in the future and when you actually sell it, you get a good resale value of the same. Thank you, stay safe and happy motoring!

Quote:
That's all for now folks, i know look forward to have a fuss free Hyundai like ownership in future. Keep checking the thread for updates. Thanks for reading and wish all the BHPians a very happy new year 2022.
A very happy and blessed happy new year to you and your family too!
Tony2298 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 10:57   #32
BHPian

Quote:
1 YEAR 31000 KMS UPDATE

So, after almost 1 year and covering around 31000kms in the Tucson, the ownership experience of the car has been pretty mixed due to some niggles came up which i will discuss in a bit, however the drive experience with this car has been phenomenal. The engine and gearbox combination of this car certainly is the best in the segment.
Great read LONG TOURER! Good to see the car doing well after 30k kms. Mine is approaching 10k kms and service will be due sometime within the next two weeks. Interestingly, my DEF gauge still is at the half way mark. 90% of my driving has been within city limits though except for a few trips to the airport which I like to count as highway driving.
I read your post about the Ladakh trip (which also was a great read) and the mention of the DPF issue. I must say it was careless on Hyundai's part to top up the car with the wrong engine oil. They need to be more vigilant towards such incidents given that Tucson is a premium offering.
Finally, the parts taking an age to arrive is a concern. 45 days is a long time and can temporarily handicap the car if it's a major part that needs immediate replacement.
umairalvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 12:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Upon asking why a catalytic convertor failed just under 30k kms of ownership, the SA had admitted to using wrong engine oil during the 3rd service which might have caused the Catalytic convertor to fail. They had used BS4 engine oil instead of using BS6 engine oil which led to failure of the catalytic convertor.
Quote:
For your information, the part was replaced for free since the car is under warranty, however it cost around 2L when i enquired with the SA.
If the car was not under warranty, would they have admitted that they screwed up and fix the thing for you at no cost?

Or would you have had to cough up ₹2L because of their incompetence?
voldemort is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 13:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations there, sir! Car looks handsome.

Basically BS6 diesels are so complicated to maintain from both ownership & OEM maintenance standpoint. There’s so much for customers to keep in mind and as well as for the dealership service folks to be vigilant on the parts or fluids they use. One small change could lead to chain of intricate events! No wonder, giants like MSIL withdrew from diesels quite quickly without even trying.

Niggles aside, looks like you’re a mile muncher and you continue to be that way happy new year 2022 and stay safe!

Last edited by gururajrv : 4th January 2022 at 13:27.
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 16:37   #35
BHPian

Thanks for the post! Could you elaborate on why you aren’t keen on retaining the car for beyond your typical vehicle ownership period? Is it just the niggles or overall ownership experience?
automowheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 21:41   #36
BHPian

31000 Kms in 1 year is an awesome figure to achieve. I would be happy to complete 10K kms in 1 year on my car.

Wish you many more happy kilometres. At this rate, 1 lakh Kms is not too far

Last edited by dr_TJ : 4th January 2022 at 21:50.
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 22:18   #37
BHPian

Excellent review...
hope the Hyundai are keeping tabs on the issues ..
Yogi..Reeturaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 18:29   #38
BHPian

Many congratulations sir. Aside from the minor niggles it looks it’s a very able mile muncher which is very important to me considering I do 50k kms in a year. Thinking of picking this one up shortly.

I’m very familiar with Hyundai since my present car is also a Hyundai.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 23:34   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb review of a fantastically capable car LONG_TOURER. Congratulations for the trouble free first year barring the DPF and Sunroof issue. Tucson is indeed a looker and the hidden arrow in the arsenal of Hyundai. The car didn’t get its due here in India although that’s the only Hyundai car that outstrips many of the cars in the segment.

Wishing you many miles with this beauty, I would hope that you shelve your plan to give the car away after 5 years as mentioned by you. Enjoy while the fun lasts.

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi..Reeturaj View Post
Excellent review...
hope the Hyundai are keeping tabs on the issues ..
Tucson must have done something right to bring you out in the forum after so long

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 5th January 2022 at 23:35.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 23:42   #40
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2022 at 08:10.
Yogi..Reeturaj is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd October 2022, 02:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hey Longtourer,

How is the Tucson doing. It has been quite a long time since you posted any updates. Has has the DPF issue been solved and are there any other issues that you have experienced.

Eagerly waiting for your updates especially of any other long trips that you may have done.

What is you take on the 4th Gen Tucson that was recently launched? Does it have the same engine and gearbox as yours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks