Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2007, 11:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi buddy, since your car is new you can easily get Rs.1000/- per tire on exchange. GIII price in bangalore is Rs.2700/- (for 165/60 R13). So in effect, you can get a deal for Rs.1700/- per new tire. Total of Rs.8500/- for a set of 5 which is worth every penny. Wagon R stock tires are not great, so better to upgrade them when they are new and fresh.

About mileage part: I just did my first service 4 days back. So far I never bothered to check the mileage, but will surely start checking it from this week. I will take a 1000 kms trip next weekend, that will be the best time for me to feel the new tires, check the mileage and find what else is needed for the car.

Have you fixed any audio in it ? Rear speaker provision is badly missing in wagon R. I opted for 2 small boxes at the rear with 4 way ovel pioneer speakers. It can be unplugged and removed in case of extra luggage etc. On the front its JBL 2 way speakers.

I am curious to know about the security system people prefer to have in wagon R. I am against drilling body, cutting wires, harming the electronic set up in the car just because its an MPFI car. Awaiting your suggestions, feedbacks.
Old 10th May 2007, 12:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

FE should improve gradually specially after the first service.
A lot depends on the driving style and the conditions. For example, i never get more than 12kmpl with a/c, while some folks seem to get even 14. If you go by Maruti way of changing gears (2nd at 10, 3rd at 20 and so on..) surely you will get better FE, but what about the driving pleasure? It will move like a Bullock cart like that!
About audio, i think its better to post this in the ICE section, we have some very good experts there, and sure someone could help you out.
I have a gear lock and a Maruti Nippon remote/central locking. Believe me mechanical locks are more effective when it comes to dealing with theft. My car was saved from being stolen 2 times, just because of the gear lock. Yes drilling body is the bad part of it, but its worth the hassle.
Old 10th May 2007, 13:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio118 View Post
To all WR users - during my first week, i got a mileage of 11.2KMPL with 85% AC usage. Isn't it on lower side?? or it's OK?
That is quite OK. It will take time before the mileage settles down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
GIII price in bangalore is Rs.2700/- (for 165/60 R13).
2700 for bridgestone 165 is tooo much. I bought 175/70/13 michelins for 2.6k. My brother changed his wagonr tyres 2 days back. he got michelin 155/70/13 for 2.2k. michelins are far far better than the official bridgestones available here. If you are particular about bridgestone, get an imported one from the 8 or 9 series or at least 7 series. what we get here is the 2 & 3 series. otherwise, get the best, michelin.
Old 10th May 2007, 16:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
michelins are far far better than the official bridgestones available here.
I second that. I have been running Michelin XM1's for the last 6 months and I am very impressed. But isn't 155/70/13 the wrong upsize. Agreed its only a difference of 2.63% but still I feel 155/65/13 are the best upsize for WagonR (difference of only 0.28%). Are you sure your bro got 155/70 and not 155/65?
Old 10th May 2007, 19:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Bridgestone Vs Michelin !

As far as I understand from dealers, Michelin XM1's do not have 165/60 R13. An upgrade for wagon R without issues is the choice of 165/60 or 175/60 both 13 inch size. Even bridgestone itself has only GIII that matches these profiles without issues. Bridgestone has turanza which is another high profile model but has only 165/65 R13 which according to some of the wagon R users; body touches inside of the wheel when the car is taken a sharp turn.

I agree 100% Michelin is a better tire than any other brands available in India related to performance, durability, comfort, pricing and many other features that ranked No-1 in most market surveys and studies for vehicles of the luxury, mid, SUV and MUV categories.

I am not sure of the quality bridgestone provides in India. Most of my friends used bridgestone in their Mercs, BMWs and Audis in the middle east. Thats the only reason for me to short list bridgestone as my preference. Over few months I will have a personalised opinion about the qualities, performance, comfort etc.

I hope I am not off-topic here since we are all talking about wagon R upgrades and related stuff. For a general info: Pirelli and Michelin tops the surveys and market studies for many years internationally.
Old 11th May 2007, 11:14   #21
BHPian

As far as music is concerned, I'm not a buff, but yes I need a music system. I've transferred my M-800 music system onto my Wagon R that goes like:
1. Sony Explod MP3 CD Radio HU
2. Two oval speakers (Fake Sony) fitted in wooden cabinets and and fixed in boot above both wheels.
3. Two small Denon tweeters.
This gives me decent muisc pleasure.

As far as safety goes, my opinion says, Gear lock is best. All those electronic central locking system are mere keyless entry system, and adds to your style and not to the safety. My car has immobiolizer system, that Maruti is providing in all cars now-a-days (satrting from April 15, 2007), and in addition to that I've fitted MGA Gear lock. In combination, they give me complete peace of mind.
Old 11th May 2007, 19:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am curious to know how immobilizer protects maruti. I was not lucky to get it as part of standard feature. I am thinking of Gear Lock as part of security. Is not MGA items costlier than any other market products ? So far I didnt bother much about the anti-theft systems, because the car is always inside the 24 hours security guarded area. Once I plan to take it out for long hours and park on roads, isolated areas etc, I will surely have to fix something that gives a great peace of mind than anything else.
Old 12th May 2007, 09:45   #23
BHPian

Immobilisers: How do they work

INFORMATION ON IMMOBILISER:

Reference: WIKIPEDIA
An immobiliser or immobilizer is an electronic device fitted to an automobile which prevents the engine from running unless the correct key (or other token) is present. This prevents the car from being "hot wired" after entry has been achieved.
Immobilisers have been mandatory in all new cars sold in the United Kingdom since 1997 and in Australia since 2001. Early models used a static code in the ignition key (or key fob) which was recognised by an RFID loop around the lock barrel and checked against the vehicle's ECU for a match. If the code is unrecognised, the ECU will not allow fuel to flow and ignition to take place. Later models use rolling codes or advanced cryptography to defeat copying of the code from the key or ECU.
The microcircuit inside the key is activated by a small electromagnetic field which induces current to flow inside the key body, which in turn broadcasts a unique binary code which is read by the automobile's ECU. When the ECU determines that the coded key is both current and valid, the ECU activates the fuel-injection sequence.

Ref: INDIAN EXPRESS (MAY 3):

For all those contemplating the purchase of a Maruti, there is one additional reason. With almost all Maruti vehicles being fitted with “immobilisers” from April 1, not only will the probability of theft go down drastically, it can also result in lower insurance costs for the buyer.

An immobiliser is an electronic device fitted into an automobile that prevents the engine from running unless the correct key is present. While the device has met with considerable success in developed nations in Europe and Australia, the Maruti immobilisers — branded as the iCATS (intelligent Computerised Anti-Theft System) — is the first such attempt on a large scale in India. “The immobilisers almost nullify the threat of theft and unlike other anti-theft device systems, this works directly in conjunction with the engine,” said Maruti Udyog Ltd MD Jagdish Khattar. “Unless the right key is inserted, the engine will not be activated and the car won’t move.” In effect, the car can only be stolen if it is towed away which is definitely not an ideal way to stealing.

Hope this clarifies.
Old 14th May 2007, 12:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the information buddy. It means a lot when it comes to security of cars. Sad that I couldnt get this feature as part of standard equipment because I took the delivery on 31 March 2007. Any idea this feature can be fitted to the models that are upto March ? I think I will try to talk to the toll-free number and see if anything can be done without much of an additional cost. If it can serve better than autocop or similar set up, I would defenitely choose an 'immobiliser' than spending for an expensive anti-theft system which has lot of negatives shared by customers.
Old 23rd May 2007, 21:26   #25
BHPian

How to engage 5th gear

After driving thru 950 KMs, now I know how to engage 5th gear effortlessly in wagon R. We have to follow trajectory as shown in this picture, and it will engage smoothly.
Old 23rd May 2007, 22:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi buddy, I agree with you 100%. I took my wagon r for a long drive last weekend that clocked 1250 kms in 48 hours. Things I noticed during these days: 1) Average mileage on highway = 15 kmpl, city and others = 14 kmpl (all with AC on full time). 2) Fifth gear engages very smoothly if we just pause at the neutral position above 4th and just tap it right side and move to 5th. 3) Upgraded tires to Bridgestone potenza ( 165/60 R 13 ) gives a fantastic road grip and steering ease which amazed me while cornering, overtaking and passing through narrow gaps. 4) Overall performance of the car has improved after crossing 1000 kms on the odometer.

Will post further informations on what I find each day. Waiting for a road trip to Mysore before month end.
Old 24th May 2007, 19:03   #27
BHPian

How to engage 5th gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio118 View Post
After driving thru 950 KMs, now I know how to engage 5th gear effortlessly in wagon R. We have to follow trajectory as shown in this picture, and it will engage smoothly.
Sorry, I couldn't post picture in my previous message. How is engage 5th gear image is as below:
Old 24th May 2007, 20:03   #28

I have WagonR which I have driven for 70000 in nearly 2 years. I have driven it at all kinds of road and even off roads. You can trust your vehicle...it is one heck of a car. I have driven for around 1100Km without stopping (except for taking fuel) a couple of times and the vehicle is just fantastic.... I have even driven it in the dry rivers that we have on the foothills of Himalayas and no problem........you will always be proud of this car.....it is simply the best.....I never faced any problems with gears so may be it is taking a little time to get used to it.
Old 25th May 2007, 09:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Hi buddy, I agree with you 100%. I took my wagon r for a long drive last weekend that clocked 1250 kms in 48 hours. Things I noticed during these days: 1) Average mileage on highway = 15 kmpl, city and others = 14 kmpl (all with AC on full time). 2) Fifth gear engages very smoothly if we just pause at the neutral position above 4th and just tap it right side and move to 5th. 3) Upgraded tires to Bridgestone potenza ( 165/60 R 13 ) gives a fantastic road grip and steering ease which amazed me while cornering, overtaking and passing through narrow gaps. 4) Overall performance of the car has improved after crossing 1000 kms on the odometer.

Will post further informations on what I find each day. Waiting for a road trip to Mysore before month end.
Hi Shajfx,
How about some interior and exterior pics of your car?

RAmki.
Old 25th May 2007, 13:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi ramki, i have posted few exterior pictures of the car on this link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ngalore-7.html you can hav a look. Interiors, I havent done much so far except Pioneer system. Thought of upgrading to leather seat covers but some of my friends commented about hot seats in our summer, therefore I am happy with the stock interior. Thinking about upgrading to K & N air filters soon, also some light sun films on the glasses. Will post interior pictures once few changes are done on it. Have a great time !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks