Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2022, 06:31   #46
BHPian

It has been just over a year since we got Yoda home. Our car has now completed 12,500 km. I'll keep the updates short and sweet.

Overall, the ownership experience continues to be great!

What happened to the issues reported in my last update?

All round, good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
"Whup whup whup" sound while releasing throttle at around 40kph speed: I had posted this on this post (Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review) but didn't see many others facing similar issue.
Well, this issue continues to be there. And even after long highway test drives with the technical team from the service center (and replicating the sound multiple times), they weren't able to spot anything abnormal.

The ongoing hypothesis is that it is just the sound of pressure against the valves when the throttle is released; and nothing to be worried about. Since it doesn't affect the driveability, I have let this thing slide for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar
Gear knob vibrating at the 5th gear position while accelerating from 60kph-80kph (which is the recommended speed range for 5th gear)
The issue is 80% fixed. The service center acknowledged the problem and said that there is a recall (or rather addition) of part which has been recommended. The issue seems to be the cable connecting the gear lever to the gearbox. They claim to have added some tag on this cable in my 10,000 km service that’s supposed to fix the problem. Currently, there is some vibration at 65kph, but this vibration is 50% less than what it used to be. Moreover, beyond 65kph there is no vibration, while it was there earlier. So overall, issue seems to be largely resolved but could get worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar
New issue that has cropped up in the last 500km
A mild creaking/squeaking noise from the driver side door pad/b-pillar - can't exactly place where!
Well, thanks to Anant Poddar's post here, I was able to fix it using some packing foam sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
This rubber boot (circled in red) is what I'm talking about. It dries up over time and the squeaking sound comes when it rubs against the plastic trims (circled in blue). Use any lubricant near the blue circled part and you will notice the sound disappears. I would recommend using a silicone based spray lubricant.
As shown in the circled portion, I just stuffed some packing foam sheet in the gaps between the rubber boot and plastic trim. Seemed to have done the trick. Not the tidiest of jobs I agree but it is functional for now.
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-72cc6b651ee645ab9e8d22b83614c1a3.jpeg

Any new issues?
  1. Mild ratting sound from the AC vent speed knob and the instrument cluster glass panel. Nothing to complain about.
  2. I faced multiple punctures (and a sidewall puncture) on the rear left tyre over a period of 3-4 weeks. Completely unsure why specifically that particular tyre, but I have gotten that replaced now at Madhu's in Bangalore. Got the wheel alignment and balancing as well done.
  3. The boot struts had lost gas pressure and weren't opening the tailgate properly. I have got them replaced under warranty during the 10,000km service.

How was the 10,000 km service?

Gave the car for the 2nd free service at ~10,500 km. The service was done at Sireesh Auto, Marathahalli. Overall Work Rating: 7/10. As they say, it is a hit or miss.

The issues highlighted were all resolved but they took a full day due to the gear lever vibration issue.

Also the car came back with the panels around gear lever not properly fixed. I didn’t want to try fix it myself and develop a crack on the panel so took it back to get it fixed. One thing to note with Mahindra service is that it’s best that you go pick the car after the service (instead of a drop off) so that some of this QC can be done by ourselves. Needless to say, the job could’ve been done better.

Notice the shoddy workmanship by the service center. Didn't even bother to check if things were fixed properly. It took 2 seconds for the technician to fix it properly and ~1 hr wasted for me. Not that I could not have fixed it myself but that's not the point.
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-9c1c8f49605b4a15b77b82914494b5d0.jpeg

That’s all for this update. Here are some recent pics of Yoda from a trip to Kerala.

Somewhere along the paddy fields in a small village in Thrissur. This is my wife's ancestral place.
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-fb7b0b417f434283b57f462c117c339e.jpeg

Taking some rest below a huge Peepal tree next to a temple in Palakkad.
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-4d4220b464704e048e9b9c7d6d01ec3c.jpeg
krishnakumar is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 20:45   #47

Re: Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT. Edit: 1 year & 10,000 km up

Quote:
Well, this issue continues to be there. And even after long highway test drives with the technical team from the service center (and replicating the sound multiple times), they weren't able to spot anything abnormal.

The ongoing hypothesis is that it is just the sound of pressure against the valves when the throttle is released; and nothing to be worried about. Since it doesn't affect the driveability, I have let this thing slide for now.
Even I have faced this issue on my XUV300 W8(O) Diesel and also reported to the service center but they did not take it seriously. Even when I asked them to look into it again, they said everything was normal. My card has 19K km on the odo.
TheOperator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 22:33   #48
BHPian

Re: Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT. Edit: 1 year & 10,000 km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOperator View Post
Even I have faced this issue on my XUV300 W8(O) Diesel and also reported to the service center but they did not take it seriously. Even when I asked them to look into it again, they said everything was normal. My card has 19K km on the odo.
Yeah it seems this sound is normal or at least they labelled it that way. They couldn’t even spot the sound even after multiple tries and I looked like a total fool.

So my theory is that this is probably something which is “okay” in a Mahindra diesel mill.

I actually haven’t found any power loss or variation in performance when this sound comes. Let’s see how this goes!

Do you have the 5th gear vibration though? For me, it seems to be persistent. It has reduced considerably but not gone away completely so I’m feeling this would slowly increase to earlier levels.
Old 15th December 2022, 23:09   #49

Quote:
Yeah it seems this sound is normal or at least they labelled it that way. They couldn’t even spot the sound even after multiple tries and I looked like a total fool.

So my theory is that this is probably something which is “okay” in a Mahindra diesel mill.

I actually haven’t found any power loss or variation in performance when this sound comes. Let’s see how this goes!

Do you have the 5th gear vibration though? For me, it seems to be persistent. It has reduced considerably but not gone away completely so I’m feeling this would slowly increase to earlier levels.
Yeah I also haven't noticed power loss or any other side effects of the noise.
I also haven't noticed any vibration as well in 5th gear (or any other gear)
TheOperator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 06:02   #50
BHPian

20000km update:

I’ll follow the same FAQ format and cover the major updates. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and queries!

So, what’s the summary?

The car has been an excellent road companion, through and through. I still regard it as one of my best decisions. A really comfortable and safe car, especially for the highways. The key highlights continue to be (1) Always has enough grunt to pull through slow moving traffic, ghat sections etc irrespective of the load (2) Great ride comfort, there is a slight bumpiness while going over certain road conditions (especially when there are a lot of undulations) but it’s well tuned for most Indian conditions. (3) Feels like a tank and it is rock solid, I did get to experience two instances and it proved to me that I put money on the right car.

On a recent trip to Trivandrum, my hometown. I crossed the 20,000km mark on this trip.
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_4080.jpeg

Emerald Lake, near Ooty - road trips on this car is just superb. Boot space, is really not that much of a problem as it is made out to be. The comfort, space inside, performance, all make this car superb for this type of use.
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_3861.jpeg

At Krithi Car Care for some bodyshop and detailing work which was long pending. As always, KP's and Meena ma'am's attention to detail is excellent. I got them to do some repainting work on the bumper and bonnet. These were replaced due to two separate incidents almost a year ago - but the painting job done by ASS was pathetic. This, wow this is almost OEM. During my 20000km service, the SA was shocked to hear that it was repainted - he said it is nearly impossible even while taking a close look at the car.
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_3496.jpeg

What has been some of the persistent snags?

Fortunately for me, there has been no mechanical or electronic snag (except for a Bluetooth issue with the infotainment system that was fixed in a software update). The car has been very reliable on a variety of road and weather conditions. However, minor cosmetic snags are starting to pile up a little:
  1. There is a squeaky sound coming from the driver seat. As always, the car gets a perverse pleasure in not reproducing the defect at the service station (is it the same with y’all??). It’s not there always in any case, and I particularly notice it while starting the vehicle after a long parking time.
  2. There are minor rattles from the dashboard trims, particularly from the piano black finish trim in the center console, clear acrylic panel on the instrument cluster and the piano black trim on the driver side AC vent near the door.

The above are, to be honest, very minor and my wife is easily able to ignore them. For the OCD in me though, it definitely ticks! Apart from this, the car has been rock solid, touchwood.

What are some of the things that can improve?

Night time visibility continues to be a major concern, even after upgrading the bulbs to Osram Nightbreakers and double checking headlight calibration (personally calibrated it as well). On a recent trip back from Ooty, it was raining heavily and I couldn’t see a thing. Worse than what I have experienced in other cars.

So a major upgrade is in order and I’m planning to go with the HID route. I checked the setup that BHPian Goandiaries has done to his XUV300 and it is very good. Sharp cutoffs and excellent visibility.

Honestly, this is really the only major ‘functional’ improvement that is required in the car.

How was the 20000km service experience?

The service experience was good although it took 1 full day and I decided to take the day off to monitor.

I had a really bad experience with Sireesh Marathahalli service center. I had given the car for a repair work (on the front bumper and radiators) post a minor incident and they broke one of the A-pillar trims (not even close to where they were working). They had covered this up using some jugaad and did not disclose with me.

I found it out later at Krithi Car Care when I had gone there for some bodyshop and detailing work. I lost my trust in the Sireesh service center and decide to change service center for the 20000km.

Decided to go with PPS Thanisandra (a few BHPians recommended) and it was definitely better. It was a general service, nothing complicated and they did fairly well. Although, I’ll have to see in further services how they fare.

I did the service at 19600km itself because I had a 1500km trip coming up. The usual were changed as per schedule, Engine Oil, Oil Filter, AC Filter and although not part of the schedule we inspected the Air Filter and changed that as well.

One of those times we get to take a good look at the underbody. I have to say, Mahindra has done an excellent job with the underbody, all parts neatly tucked away and majority of it covered up
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_4065.jpeg

SA told me that the brake pad life is great and good for easily another 10,000km. Driving around with a dog has made me a bit more conscious, use engine braking and smooth slow downs. Although, I'm a bit concerned about the rust on the wheel hub - SA said this is normal because of cast iron but is this okay to have or should I do something about it?
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_4067.jpeg

Scheduled AC filter replacement. For the last 1000km or so, we did see the AC effectiveness coming down. Post replacement, AC performance improved noticeably. Interesting point - my dog's hair found its way till the AC filter
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_4069.jpeg

Air Filter did not need a replacement as per schedule - but looking at the condition, I asked them to replace it. For Indian conditions, we really would need to replace things in shorter durations to ensure optimal performance.
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_4064.jpeg

The only sore point of the service experience. I really don't understand why service centers have to apply this obnoxious icky grease all over the dashboard to make it shiny. Ugh, had to spend an hour wiping this off using some soap solution after coming back home!
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_4077.jpeg

What is the fuel economy that I am getting?

My fuel economy is roughly 17-18 kmpl (measured by full tank to full tank) which is not great but not terrible either. I have heard of Nexon and other XUV300 owners touching 20+ kmpl, maybe my driving style isn’t able to reproduce that.

Here is the trend of fuel economy that I have gotten so far:
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-fuel-efficiency-trend.png

What are some of the mods being planned?

Top of the list is a headlight conversion. I’m planning to go for HIDs for low beam projectors and LEDs for high beam reflectors. I’ll definitely miss the convenience of Auto Headlamp (definitely useful for the many underpasses in Bangalore), but my usage being primarily highway and often unlit highways/upcountry roads, overall I think it’s safer. Still researching and deciding on the final setup - will be posting a thread on this for details as I plan to do a DIY.

Second in order is a good 5D/7D matting. I have a Golden Retriever and it becomes extremely difficult to clean up as the hair sticks to the standard free floor mats they have given. I’m planning to go for some PVC kind of material along with some carpeted mats that I can remove when taking my dog.

Some pics to close the post with:

During a meetup with BHPian Goandiaries (whose car is on the left). We had a sumptuous breakfast at Murugan Idly and discussed our cars for long - time well spent!
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_3462.jpeg

The CSUV trio being reviewed by my boy, Casper.The Nexon and Sonet are my postgrad friends' - this segment is the quintessential 30s/small family car in my opinion. I even started a thread to discuss on this topic before deciding on the XUV300 - Click here (Tata Nexon vs. Mahindra XUV300 vs. Kia Sonet | Which car should I get for 15 Lakhs?)
Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update-img_4239.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 1st October 2023 at 16:27. Reason: As requested
krishnakumar is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 14:25   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Second in order is a good 5D/7D matting. I have a Golden Retriever and it becomes extremely difficult to clean up as the hair sticks to the standard free floor mats they have given. I’m planning to go for some PVC kind of material along with some carpeted mats that I can remove when taking my dog.
XUV300 is the best CSUV in my view. It is an absolute hoot to drive. My friend has one and he also suffered from poor visibility. After a thorough discussion with a domain expert, he went with Osram H7 LED in the projectors and Osram H16 LED in the fog lamps. The visibility is more than sufficient now, but it's obviously not the best setup for rain and fog. He gets the headlights covered in yellow film during this season. The high-beams are common Philips bulbs 55w and sufficient for flashing purposes. Ironically, the lower variants with reflector setup has better spread and output when coupled with a basic H4 100w relay setup.

Last edited by ampere : 1st October 2023 at 15:20. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 19:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

re: Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update

Fantastic review. I have done 27K on the beast and it's the best in the segment. I have not had a single niggle till now (touchwood). One major point to mention is the underbody protection that the 3OO has. The engine guard does a fantastic job. I agree with the visibility though, while I don't do night drives, I think the headlight throw is poor during my early morning drives. Let me know how the mod goes. Good luck with the Cheetah!
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 20:10   #53
BHPian

re: Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update

Quote:
20000km update:
The underbody covering by Mahindra is an excellent job, no doubt about it. Infact it's something every manufacturer should take care to implement.

As for the rust in the brake mounts/Axel, I hope, the rust can be brushed off , sanded and some epoxy be applied to prevent further occurrence.
helios9406 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 00:08   #54
BHPian

Quote:
20000km update:

I’ll follow the same FAQ format and cover the major updates. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and queries!

So, what’s the summary?

The car has been an excellent road companion, through and through. I still regard it as one of my best decisions. A really comfortable and safe car, especially for the highways. The key highlights continue to be (1) Always has enough grunt to pull through slow moving traffic, ghat sections etc irrespective of the load (2) Great ride comfort, there is a slight bumpiness while going over certain road conditions (especially when there are a lot of undulations) but it’s well tuned for most Indian conditions. (3) Feels like a tank and it is rock solid, I did get to experience two instances and it proved to me that I put money on the right car.

On a recent trip to Trivandrum, my hometown. I crossed the 20,000km mark on this trip.
Attachment 2508461

Emerald Lake, near Ooty - road trips on this car is just superb. Boot space, is really not that much of a problem as it is made out to be. The comfort, space inside, performance, all make this car superb for this type of use.
Attachment 2508462

At Krithi Car Care for some bodyshop and detailing work which was long pending. As always, KP's and Meena ma'am's attention to detail is excellent. I got them to do some repainting work on the bumper and bonnet. These were replaced due to two separate incidents almost a year ago - but the painting job done by ASS was pathetic. This, wow this is almost OEM. During my 20000km service, the SA was shocked to hear that it was repainted - he said it is nearly impossible even while taking a close look at the car.
Attachment 2508640

What has been some of the persistent snags?

Fortunately for me, there has been no mechanical or electronic snag (except for a Bluetooth issue with the infotainment system that was fixed in a software update). The car has been very reliable on a variety of road and weather conditions. However, minor cosmetic snags are starting to pile up a little:
  1. There is a squeaky sound coming from the driver seat. As always, the car gets a perverse pleasure in not reproducing the defect at the service station (is it the same with y’all??). It’s not there always in any case, and I particularly notice it while starting the vehicle after a long parking time.
  2. There are minor rattles from the dashboard trims, particularly from the piano black finish trim in the center console, clear acrylic panel on the instrument cluster and the piano black trim on the driver side AC vent near the door.

The above are, to be honest, very minor and my wife is easily able to ignore them. For the OCD in me though, it definitely ticks! Apart from this, the car has been rock solid, touchwood.

What are some of the things that can improve?

Night time visibility continues to be a major concern, even after upgrading the bulbs to Osram Nightbreakers and double checking headlight calibration (personally calibrated it as well). On a recent trip back from Ooty, it was raining heavily and I couldn’t see a thing. Worse than what I have experienced in other cars.
Krishnakumar, your car looks fantastic after that detail. About the headlights, speaking from experience, I'd recommend you go for LEDs in the lowbeam, the nature of an LED bulb means that when put in a reflector housing like that of the highbeam, the light output can have a less than desirable beam pattern or have dark spots; it can also blind drivers on the opposite side of the road due to a scattered beam. Instead I'd recommend you go for LEDs in the lowbeam and an HID kit in the highbeam. Since HIDs also output light in an omnidirectional way from the bulb, they are best suited to replace halogen bulbs in reflector housings. We fitted some LEDs on our car a few months ago and they have been working brilliantly. The lowbeams are from a brand called DHC, they are 75w (probably more like 30w) and do not blind traffic in the opposite lane (we checked). They're also 4300k which means they add to the aesthetics of the car while also being functional in the rain, not to mention, they boosted the brightness of the lowbeam by about 5x while retaining exactly the same beam pattern and sharp cutoff. We equipped our car with a set of 35w DHC bulbs in the highbeam, these do blind oncoming traffic but so do the halogens, besides we only use the highbeam when we are sure we are not blinding anybody. The lowbeam bulbs put a 7.5k rupee shaped hole in our pocket and the highbeam cost us 3.5k. The LEDs in the highbeams don't have the greatest pattern and the throw is actually a bit less than the lowbeams, so I wouldn't recommend LEDs in the highbeam.

A few rattles have began to trigger my OCD too. The rear armrest and cupholder make a creaking noise when you rest your elbow near the edge, this issue does not happen when you position your elbow on top of what I presume is the hinge of the armrest.

The rear seat also makes a terrible creaking/breaking noise when going over bumps. From investigation (pushing and pulling the backrest) I have found that this noise is made when the backrest bends. I cannot see how the backrest would bend when the car is going over bumps though, would appreciate if some XUV300 aficionados could enlighten me about this one.

There is a random unidentifiable and unlocatable high pitched rattle which seems to emanate from the boot when the car is going over bumps as well. Initially I thought this sound came from our parcel tray which I managed to snap in half (don't ask), but it seems that the sound is coming from the trim on the boot lid.

Our door handles require a moderate amount of force to pull and do not operate smoothly at all. On Marutis and even my aunt's Tiago, the door handle operation is slick and it does not require a huge amount of force to pull. Would love to see if something could be done about this as it leaves a sour taste in the mouth (atleast mine) everytime I open the doors.

The hydraulic struts that lift the boot make a very faint, high pitched squeak when opened, I think some WD40 in the struts could sort this out though.

Now this one is a bit more serious, whenever our car is washed, the rear discs make a grinding noise for the first few minutes of driving, this is not rust being scraped off however, I believe this is some sort of debris from the water which gets stuck between the brake pad and the disc. This notion of mine is being further reinforced I believe, as when the car leaves the garage and my dad slowly brakes to stop the car, the brakes sometimes emit a very high pitched screech. This phenomenon sounds like it only occurs at the rear though. When my dad stabs on the brakes suddenly, the car also makes a squeaking noise not dissimilar to the sound made when one presses and rubs their finger on a cleaned metal surface (squeaky clean). The squeaking noise upon stabbing on the brakes started happening after the 1000km service and hasn't gone away 14000km later. The rear brakes also make a sort of snapping/striking noise when the parking brakes are disengaged after a wash. My hypothesis is, some debris from the water gets stuck between the brake pads and disc and the grinding noise is a product of the debris etching small grooves into the disc . This would explain the development of the squeaking brakes. The only contradiction to my otherwise satisfactory hypothesis is, the parking brakes are engaged when the car is washed; I'm assuming that when the parking brake is applied, the brake pad and disc make contact and keep the car stopped, so how can debris get into the non-existent gap between the disc and the pad?

Other than these, little issues, we love our XUV to bits and struggle to find flaws with it's beautiful interiors, exteriors and that gem of an engine under the bonnet.

Our Royal Motors ASC experience has been satisfactory thus far, we had our bumper replaced once due to an incident involving a large slab of marble and it's penetration into the bumper via the DRL. The fitment on the bumper was not the greatest, with there being a pretty noticeable offset from the bumper to the fender on one side. The paint on bumper has also yellowed significantly more than the paint on the rest of the car (Pearl White). It has also lost a bit of it's gloss compared to the paint on the rest of car. I would love to know if some coating or detailing magic could control this yellowing and make the paint look uniform throughout the entirety of the car. Our 10k service was uneventful, we decided to change the air filter as we felt that given how dusty our house could become in a few days, our car was probably struggling to breath. The guys at the service center echoed the same and changed the filter for us, we were even given the old filter and shown the amount of dust it contained. Our cabin filter was also replaced and we were shocked with how much better the AC was cooling the cabin. We have decided to now do 2 cabin filter changes every year to ensure the AC doesn't get choked.

With the 20k service around 5k km away, I was wondering if anybody on TeamBHP had tried synthetic oil on the XUV300 petrol. We asked the SC guys during the 10k service and they told us to only use Mahindra's maximile mineral oils. From my limited understanding of engine oils, I believe that the brand is not a factor in whether a certain oil would work on a certain car and instead the viscosity and operating temperature I believe are the primary differentiating factors, if this is the case, I would love to try some synthetic engine oil.

I also have plans of changing the tyres once we reach 20k, the stock MRFs are fine for now but we would prefer some tyres that offer more grip and make less noise, could any of you people mention any good tyres in all budget ranges?

Sorry for hijacking your thread krishnakumar, enjoy your aquamarine tank to the fullest, I wish you many more miles and smiles with your dapper ride.
ExtremePocca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 22:17   #55
BHPian

Re: Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update

Quote:

Top of the list is a headlight conversion. I’m planning to go for HIDs for low beam projectors and LEDs for high beam reflectors. I’ll definitely miss the convenience of Auto Headlamp (definitely useful for the many underpasses in Bangalore), but my usage being primarily highway and often unlit highways/upcountry roads, overall I think it’s safer. Still researching and deciding on the final setup - will be posting a thread on this for details as I plan to do a DIY.
Sorry for the back to back posts, but I felt this was quite important, the changing of the headlamp bulbs will not affect headlamp functions such as the auto headlamp feature or the follow me home headlights, the functions of the headlamp will remain exactly the same, so there really is no cons to a headlamp upgrade. Happy motoring.
Old 3rd October 2023, 22:54   #56
BHPian

Re: Ownership review of my first car, Yoda | Mahindra XUV300 W8(O) D MT | EDIT: 20,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremePocca View Post
Our door handles require a moderate amount of force to pull and do not operate smoothly at all.
Thanks for sharing the update on your car and all the inputs While I don’t have solutions for all, I hope you are able to resolve them quickly.

The brake issue sounds like something you should get checked if you haven’t. Although the brakes squeaking is a common problem with many brakes.

Quote:
Instead I'd recommend you go for LEDs in the lowbeam and an HID kit in the highbeam.
Quote:
the changing of the headlamp bulbs will not affect headlamp functions such as the auto headlamp feature or the follow me home headlights,
I should’ve clarified what I mean by Auto Headlamp feature not being able to use.

I’m aware that the functionalities remain, after all it’s only a mere bulb change. Issue is with the HID bulbs and how they function. This is also the same reason why they cannot be put on High Beams.

HIDs have a warm up phase and achieve full brightness only after a few seconds. Therefore, when you want to flash the high beam or use it for a short period of time (which is usually how the High Beams are expected to be used), the full brightness will never be achieved making the bulb ineffective for operation. More importantly, frequent on/off cycle is extremely bad for HID bulbs and shorten their life considerably. Hence, in my opinion HIDs are ruled out for High Beams.

Similarly, Auto Headlamps are majorly useful for situations when the lighting reduces temporarily, but significantly, like underpasses, thick forest cover etc. This will necessitate frequent on/off cycle and HIDs are not just suited for that kind of purpose.

However, since the Low Beams are primary headlight, for regular lighting usecases, it should settle at a good intensity after few seconds and offer better lighting in rainy/foggy conditions.

My usage is primarily long distance highway travel, ghat roads and upcountry routes. Therefore, sacrificing the Auto Headlamp functionality is making better sense.

When we compare the Lumens, 55W HID seems to be provide better real life lighting compared to 55W LEDs. I don’t want to risk going for a higher power rating as it complicates things with the wiring, additional relay etc for fire safety.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 3rd October 2023 at 22:58.
Old 5th October 2023, 23:15   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Now this one is a bit more serious, whenever our car is washed, the rear discs make a grinding noise for the first few minutes of driving, this is not rust being scraped off however, I believe this is some sort of debris from the water which gets stuck between the brake pad and the disc. This notion of mine is being further reinforced I believe, as when the car leaves the garage and my dad slowly brakes to stop the car, the brakes sometimes emit a very high pitched screech. This phenomenon sounds like it only occurs at the rear though. When my dad stabs on the brakes suddenly, the car also makes a squeaking noise not dissimilar to the sound made when one presses and rubs their finger on a cleaned metal surface (squeaky clean). The squeaking noise upon stabbing on the brakes started happening after the 1000km service and hasn't gone away 14000km later. The rear brakes also make a sort of snapping/striking noise when the parking brakes are disengaged after a wash. My hypothesis is, some debris from the water gets stuck between the brake pads and disc and the grinding noise is a product of the debris etching small grooves into the disc . This would explain the development of the squeaking brakes. The only contradiction to my otherwise satisfactory hypothesis is, the parking brakes are engaged when the car is washed; I'm assuming that when the parking brake is applied, the brake pad and disc make contact and keep the car stopped, so how can debris get into the non-existent gap between the disc and the pad?
Facing the same issues. When slowing down the car for speed breakers or any other reason, there is some grinding noise coming from the rear left wheel. Apart from this have been facing similar issue of snapping sound of breaks but in my case it is usually when I start the car after a longer duration like a day or two later.

In my 20k servicing mentioned both the issues. They ignored the snapping sound case. For the grinding noise, they removed the left wheel and greased the break calipers. Reduced the sound but did not eliminate it. Service guys couldn't figure out the cause. Planning to show it to a PPS service center in Sarjapur and ask their opinion. Will update more on this soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks