Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2022, 09:18   #16
BHPian

Re: My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I had this issue in Endeavour, the burglar alarm would switch on midnight. We believed insects or rats could possibly be the reason as rats have always been a problem for us. I am sure, it was due to some movement inside the vehicle as we never had this problem during daytime.
For me this is definitely not the case. Many time just after parking the car I got this alarm within 5 minutes on day time.

Initially I was getting the alarm when I travel to Kerala, so I thought it is the moisture that is causing it. But recently it has become more and more frequent and very random.

Do you know where the sensor is located? How many sensors are there?

Best Regards,
Old 13th October 2022, 09:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post

Do you know where the sensor is located? How many sensors are there?

Best Regards,
I am not very sure, but sensor should be part of front roof light console. I don't think there are any other sensors to detect motion inside the car.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 21:34   #18
BHPian

Last 6 months were un-eventful as always. I renewed the GPS tracking software for next 5 years as there was some offers going on.
The TPMS is working very good, I am really happy about the purchase of SensAiry.
I find the 360 camera very useful in some tight parking situations. Another good investment.
The only thing I miss is the Apple Carplay

I did few trips - Bangaore - Kollur - Uduppi - Bangalore, Bangalore - Palakkad - Bangalore and Bangalore - Vayanad - Bangalore. Overall getting mileage of around 12-13KMPL on average consistently. Few pictures from the trips below.

On the way to Kollur.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_1035.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_1137.jpg

Way back from Kollur near kudremukh.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_1238.jpg

Some random pictures from kerala trip.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_6428.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_6445.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_6447.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_6446.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_7426.jpg

Mild off-roading in kerala.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_6450.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_7434.jpg

At a resort in Vayanad.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_6451.jpg

Another road-trip is on the cards and will update soon. Next service is due by end of January.

The issue with the alarm engaging randomly is still there. Recently I saw some videos where such an issue was simulated by hood sensor. I need to check this during next service.
scorpio_fan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 12:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I am not very sure, but sensor should be part of front roof light console. I don't think there are any other sensors to detect motion inside the car.
I had the same problem. There is a thread on Fortuner alarm going off randomly and I've put the details of my interaction with the SA there. Please show it during your next service and they should be able to clear this. Apparently its quite common.
simran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 10:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran View Post
I had the same problem. There is a thread on Fortuner alarm going off randomly and I've put the details of my interaction with the SA there.
Thanks Simran for the information. Initially I was suspecting the internal movement sensor but looks like it is more to do with some door/hood sensor. Mostly the issues are reported with the hood sensor, so will try that first. I will update you after the service.
Old 26th December 2022, 09:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Simran for the information. Initially I was suspecting the internal movement sensor but looks like it is more to do with some door/hood sensor. Mostly the issues are reported with the hood sensor, so will try that first. I will update you after the service.
Yes this problem is in our neighbor’s Innova Crysta too. It randomly just starts blowing siren and stops after a few minutes at any time of day. But sometimes it doesn’t stop so they have to lock and unlock it then by the key.
They too had visited ASC(Moti Nagar,Delhi) for solution but couldn’t get any.
Tanmay_868 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:44   #22
BHPian

Few updates from the recent trip to kerala. We visited few places in Kasargod, Kannur and Kozhikode. Total ~1600 Kms.

We started on 24 December, Saturday early morning. Took the Mysore road till Srirangapatna and then took the diversion to Kushal Nagar. From Srirangapatna to Kushal Nagar road was bit patchy. Mysore road was very busy with few traffic blocks. We reached Bekal at around 3 PM, decided to visit the Bekal fort first as this will get closed by 6 PM and then check-in to hotel.

Next day we decided to visit few temples in the morning. Here are some pictures from the trip.

At Kasargod, on the way to ananthapuram.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_7442.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_7419.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_7443.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_7423.jpg

We cecked out from Bekal on 25 Sunday and went to Kannur for the next stay. After check-in we decided to visit the Muzhupilangad beach as that was one of the important things to cover. I did a bit of water splashing and drive at the beach. I was very careful not to overdo as salt water is not good for the car. Here are some pictures from the beach.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_4628.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_4560.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_4580.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_4572.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_4619.jpg

Much needed wash immediately after the drive. As this was a Sunday the 25th, no service station was open. Infact it was already 6:30 PM. I called few service centers and one of them helped me to get it washed. He opened the shop only for me, very thankful of the person who is running the shop. He did a good job of washing and interior cleaning. It took approximately 1.5 hrs but was worth the wait. This was a big relief for me. There is an automatic carwash on the highway, but that was closed because of Christmas / Sunday.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_7706.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_7708.jpg

I did one more wash at home after return and here are some pictures from few small local trips near my home.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_8138.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_8145.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_8198.jpg

Next service is due by end of January. One sitting for ceramic coating is also due. Will update after service.
Old 28th January 2023, 12:50   #23
BHPian

Did a trip to Kollur in January 2nd week. Onward we took the route via Hassan -> Belur -> Horanadu -> Sringeri -> Kollur. As this was close to 12 hrs of drive, we did till Hassan the previous day evening and started from Hassan early morning as we need to cover Horanadu and Sringeri temples. Sringeri will close by 2:00 PM so we need to target reaching there by 12:30 PM.

The road via Horanadu is village like roads with turns after turns till Sringeri. In between there is a small stretch of mud road. Not much traffic on the road as this is not the preferred route to kollur unless you want to visit Horanadu. We reached Kollur on Saturday evening 4:00 PM.

Return trip was regular route via Davangare and NH48. We started from Kollur around 11 AM and reached Bangalore by 8:00 PM with a Lunch break and one coffee break. There was traffic from Tumkur towards Bangalore especially the trucks but it was managable.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_4990.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_4973.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_4980.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_4966.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_49861.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_5008.jpg

Odometer is at 24000 after the trip. The alarm got trigerred multiple times during night from the parking. I had to switch off the alarm every time I was parking. This is going to be the biggest issue that I need to get rectified this time.

During the trip, I noticed some vibrations coming to steering during breaking especially during 80-100 speed. In slower speed no vibrations. May be some skimming of breakpads is needed. Will update after service.
scorpio_fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 14:46   #24
BHPian

3rd year service was due by end of January 2023. Odometer standing at 25k aproximately. I dropped the vehicle on 24th January. Only 2 issues reported which needed immediate attention.

1) Alarm getting triggered randomly.
2) Steering vibration while breaking (If speed above 80-100)

I told the service advisor that Alarm issue is the most important one I am concerned. As this is tricky to re-produce, I shared a video that I recorded a week back. I was prepared to leave the vehicle if needed for 1 - 2 days at service center. I told him that this can only be reproduced if the vehicle is locked and the key is away from the car. In general, they keep the key inside the car and this issue will never happen during the service.

I was followingup with the service advisor on an hourly basis to check if they have tried to re-produce / identified the issue. As the vehicle will be in waiting state for almost 70% of time, I wanted them to observe during that time. By 4 PM, the vehicle had completed all the service related works and went to fix the break vibration issue. Till 6 PM, the vehicle was in bay for fixing break vibration and they did not look into the alarm issue. I wanted them to utilize the the day in observing the vehicle and they did not pay attention to it. Even after calling service advisor multiple times and expressing the concern over reproducing this tricky issue I did not get any convincing reply. I had no option but to escalate. I directly escalated to level 2 and expressed my concerns, immeditely the team leader was pulled in and he tried to passify me and explaining the "process" they follow.

He told me he will put the vehicle infront of CCTV camera and will instruct a security to monitor during night. Next day I got the update that the car triggered alarm at 10:18 PM and they are starting to look at probable issue. As the case was escalated, I was getting frequent updates. He told me that there are rats foot print in engine bay but no cut / damage they could identify.By afternoon say 3 PM the team leader caled me and said they found one issue. One of the wiring harness had oxidations in connector and this could lead to the alarm. He said they fixed it by cleaning the conector and they will observe the car for another 2-3 hours. I got a call around 6 PM again and he told me I can pick up the car around 7 PM and till then the alarm was not triggered. Next day is a holiday, but I decided to keep the car there and collect it after the holiday. Next day morning he updated the alarm did not trigger for whole night. Eveniing he again told me the alarm did not trigger till evening. Finally I was relieved, it was difficult issue to resolve and finally there is a fix. I took the car next day and I am observing it for a few days now. The alarm did not trigger yet. So looks like the issue is resolved and will be observing it for few days closely.

The service experience was really good finally, I had to escalate it to get that attention but then it all went smooth.

Break vibration issue also rectified completely by skimming it. Below is the details of the jobs and cost.

Final bill was 15806 for this service.

Name:  bill Page1.png
Views: 463
Size:  116.9 KB

Name:  bill Page2.png
Views: 463
Size:  43.6 KB

Eventhough no starting / battery issues reported, service team suggested to replace battery and the health of battery is low. They handed over a report to me. The vehicle came with Panasonic battery and looks like in general this gets a life of 3 years. Will be changing the battery to Exide next week.
Old 19th March 2023, 09:29   #25
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience @scorpio_fan, and glad that you found the fix. I am facing a similar problem in my 2017 Fortuner, when I leave the cabin lights ON and lock the car, after about half an hour the alarm gets triggered tat does not stop. Ideally the cabin lights should auto shutoff; but in my case, they stay ON and triggers the alarm. I see that you are from Bangalore as well, would be great if you could provide the name & location of the service center and the name of the SA assisting you. Thank you.
Old 27th December 2023, 12:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3rd year service was due by end of January 2023. Odometer standing at 25k aproximately.

Eventhough no starting / battery issues reported, service team suggested to replace battery and the health of battery is low. They handed over a report to me. The vehicle came with Panasonic battery and looks like in general this gets a life of 3 years. Will be changing the battery to Exide next week.
Was the battery replacement covered in warranty? Mine vehicle is 27 months old and I think the battery has gone weak.

Most Viewed