Old 18th October 2021, 22:31   #1
BHPian

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review

What I Liked
  • Power Delivery across gears, less need for changing gears
  • Gear Shifts are accurate and smooth
  • Flat torque curve, no stalling at lower gears
  • Smooth service experience
  • Access to 3rd row, the one touch technology in Toyota is much better compared to competition.
  • Music system is decent, especially not annoying with distortions.
  • Steering is accurate and just right. not too hard not too light.
  • Good breaking, Gives good confidence
  • 3rd row space, average person can sit comfortably.
  • Keyless Entry and Power boot
  • Highway cruising at 100 km in 6th gear. Engine is < 2000 RPM!

What I don't like
  • Head room - could have been a bit more especially in 3rd row.
  • Tyres - HT in 4x4 not AT (They provide AT in 4x2!)
  • Reverse gear - Slotting is a bit tricky and needs some effort.
  • No Service reminder in console, you need to remember the next service.
  • Many basic features missing at this price point TPMS, Auto Wiper, Front Parking sensors, Memory Seats and Lumbar adjustment (list below)

Features that I miss
TPMS
I believe TPMS should be included in the basic safety kit. The tyres should be monitored for optimal pressure and temperature for safety of passengers. I cannot understand why this feature is missed in this 40 lakhs SUV. Even the lower segment vehicles have this feature now.
Auto Wiper
Such an obvious miss in the D2 segment car. Tell me one in this segment with out it! Such a shame. My polo has it and XUV had it.
No auto folding mirror
No default option, where as I guess it should be included by default. I activated by paying extra as accessory.
Apple Car play
I would expect a wireless apple CarPlay at this price point. Gone are the days you use the inbuilt maps which gets outdated in 3 months with the pace Indian roads are changing. I always use google maps which gets updated and gets traffic info automatically. My XUV had the 'MapmyIndia' maps and I used it only few times (when mobile range was not there). This feature is a big miss for me.
Rear Differential Lock
Even though the electronics handles everything, this could have improved the capability. They provide differential lock in other countries but not here in India. In the recent version they have included it.
Stop&Start
Only available in AT. It was there in my manual XUV500, don't know the reason why it got missed in MT. This is useful in city traffic where you will be spending a lot of time in signals.

Nice to Have features
360 degree camera
A very useful feature for such a big SUV. I think it should get included by default. Current accessory version need to activate manually by a switch, I did not like the usability. I am waiting for the updated one to retrofit with HU.
Sunroof
Not too keen on this feature as the usage in India is only minimal. With such a tall SUV the usage is also not practical for kids. I guess we will never get this feature in this generation of Fortuner because of the current design (AC).
Ambient Lighting
Would have liked to have this feature as nice to have.
Approach angle / elevation indicator
Ford Endeavour has this feature. As this is a 4X4 variant, this could be useful in offroad situations to better judge.

The Battle
I was not planning any upgrades in 2019 until I saw a news that Toyota is offering discounts of up to 2+ lakhs in a newspaper. When enquired they said the amount is including the insurance benefit, excluding which will come to around 1 Lakhs if taken immediately. My situation was bit different, I was happily using my XUV500 (ownership report) and needed to dispose it before going with upgrades. Toyota Trust evaluated and offered decent price plus an exchange bonus which I felt was ok compared to the price you might get in open market. That’s is when I started looking at options available. If I am not taking car from Toyota I will have to give up the exchange bonus which was ok for me.

The Ford Endeavour was always better in terms of features and drivability. I was not able to decide between Fortuner and Endeavour. I Had already multiple times taken test drives of both cars and there was a battle between heart and brain until I saw the gear box failures of Endeavour from team-bhp and decided to value reliability more to features.
My requirement was a reliable 7-seater (preferably a solid body on frame) which I would like to keep it for long term. Budget was ~40 Lakhs on road. I also wanted decent off-roading capabilities so that I can manage some tough terrains. I always liked to travel to remote places without worrying about road conditions and this added capability will give me confidence. I had AWD in XUV500 but that was not enough in some places, even though in 80-90% of the time you don’t need it. So, the battle was between Fortuner <-> Endeavour <-> Pajero <-> Alturas. Of course, I did test drive X1, Q3, GLA/CLA too during the process.

Endeavour
A clear leader in terms of features and drivability. The 3.2 AT is a no brainer. It was tough to decide between this and Fortuner until I read the AT failures (few of them) in team-bhp. Few reported failures around 70k Odo meter reading was not acceptable. I want to have the reliability for long term and did not want to put my money in to this risk. So, I decided to keep away.

Pajero
The old Pajero 4x4 super select was a dream machine. The new one in the international market is also very good. The one in India is missing a lot in terms of capability. No manual transmission, AT comes in 5 speed and no 4x4 model! I think they are now concentrating on outlander which has now 4x4 capability. But that too is not available in diesel.

Alturas
I used Mahindra for almost 10 years now. I was a happy customer but what I did not like is the service. The service team is incompetent, and I was always standing beside the vehicle for each service. I never saw it improving and the only way out was to have some contacts in ASC and manage it.
The Alturas has loads of features and capabilities and it looks decent. The 2.2-liter engine is a gem. It is refined and silent. The refinement also gives a bit of issues in terms of torque delivery. I also heard another member complaining about the stalling at lower gears. I had this behavior in XUV too but don’t see it in Fortuner and now I realize the importance of the flat torque curve. The sunroof is also very small, its not panoramic and not that appealing.

Fortuner
If you value reliability, then there is only one name that comes to mind, its Toyota. With Endeavour out of game there is no real options left for me.
I had test drove the AT model 2 years back and I really liked the improvement in comfort and looks. Some features got added in couple of years but no major upgrades. I asked for a 4x4 MT model for TD and they were not able to arrange one (Nandi Toyota). Instead I did test drive on 4X4 AT and 4x2 MT. MT was mostly to get understanding on gear shift and clutch. The sales person from Toyota just explained features in a neutral way; Only point answers to questions. No real push from him at all. I have seen other brand's sales people going that extra mile to sell but experience with Toyota was really different. The sales negotiations are also straight forward. They tell you what is possible from dealer and company. By this time I had made good relationship with the sales manager and he was a very nice person who helped me through out the process. He provided me with discounts as much as he could manage.

I did an evaluation of the missing features in Fortuner and decided to get them retrofitted what ever is possible in phased manner. The real missing features are

TPMS – Will install SenAiry. Options from Toyota are not that great. I don't want to put another device inside the car for just monitoring the tyre pressure. Either it should come in HU or in mobile. Toyota accessory needs a device which displays the tyre pressure which needs to be fit in dashboard.
Apple Carplay – I was hoping that the new HU with Apple Carplay can be retrofitted, but looks like it is really expensive (2 - 3 Lakhs) now. Currently no plans to spend that much. Better will be to just change the HU to a Pioneer / Alpine with the Apple Carplay support at 1/4th of the cost.
Auto folding mirror – Added as accessory from Toyota
Auto Wiper – No options, will miss it.
360 View Camera - I find this very useful for such a big SUV. The fender mirror in this generation is not practical. But I am holding on this because it has a direct dependency to HU. If I get an option of upgrade, 360 view camera might be incompatible. Toyota charges approximately 25-30k for this.
Wireless Charging - New models has this, but no good feedback yet, heard that the charging is slow. Currently decided against it.

Booking
By the time I made up my mind and Toyota finalized the price and exchange bonus for XUV it was already next month and offers were less. My discounts came down to less than 1 lakh. With BS6 in plan, I was informed that Fortuner production of BS4 is already stopped / reduced. From Jan 2020 new booking for BS6 will start and there might be a price increase. So, went ahead and booked it early November. What I will be getting is from the stock and I had not so many options in terms of color. They offered me 2 variants of white (Super White and White Pearl) with 2 different interior options (Brown and Chamois). I really wanted the phantom brown, but it was not possible. So I agreed for super white with brown interior. I told him this option and asked for email confirmation. Next day since there was no update, I called him again. He said he does not have super white am I ok with pearl white? I rejected this offer. Next option was super white with chamois interiors. I refused that too and told him I need super white and brown interiors combination. If this is not available I will cancel the booking. Luckily, I had not handed over the XUV to them and I told him I will handover XUV only if I get email conformation from dealer about booking confirmation. I was about to handover XUV the next day and I told him I am cancelling that appointment.

I waited for couple of days and sales manager confirmed that he can arrange super white with brown interior from different Nandi Toyota branch (Kanakpura), and I agreed for that. Exchanged the XUV next day (11-Nov-2019) and finished the booking formalities.

Parting Shot of XUV
My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-xuv.jpg

XUV served me well, I took it to many places and have loads of memory. No hick-ups or major repairs during the period. Only regular maintenance was done. It was running on stock clutch and had no signs of wear. I had clocked 80K Kms in 6 years. 5th and 6th year the usage was bit less because I had a Polo GT TSI which was used for local commute. On average I was getting 12-13 KM mileage. Consumed around 7000 Liters of fuel in 6 years. I always track each fueling and I always do empty to full tank refill. I have the fuel logs for all my vehicles.

PDI
After a couple of weeks the stock arrived at Nandi Toyota Kanakpura branch and I requested a PDI. Some photos from the PDI on 7-Dec-2019. I followed the checklist from Team-BHP for doing PDI. Verified VIN, Tyre Manufacturing, KM reading, Paint etc. Some images captured during the PDI.
My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-pdi1.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-pdi2.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-pdi3.jpg

Delivery (19-Dec-2019)
The delivery process was really smooth. I reached the showroom on the agreed time (After Lunch). An executive was assigned to me and he did handover the documents, explained the features with demo and clicked some pictures for me. Overall well planned process. I had a special request related to FastTag which was goofed up. Much before the delivery I had enquired about the FastTag details. I was using the ICICI FastTag and it had an option of adding multiple tags to one account. The advantage is that I can transfer balances and can manage all tags with just one login. I told the executive in advance and gave all my account details. But he issued an independent one during the delivery which I did not accept. What I learned is that Toyota follows a process and they are very rigid. They cannot adapt to small change requests like this. It took another week to get the new tag after many follow-ups.

Another issue I faced was on RC card. Ideally it should have reached my address in 1 - 2 months after delivery. I did not get it even at the end of February 2020 (after 3 months). I had to call up the sales person from Nandi Toyota multiple times and finally he collected the RC card and shipped it to my address via courier(March 1st Week 2020). After multiple follow-ups he shared the tracking details and by then the lock-down had started. This was sent to my office address and later the courier person my office collected it. I could not collect it from him till June 2020 because of lockdown. I finally collected the RC card end of June 2020 (after 6 months). I had the picture of RC card till then and of course the mParivahan application for online verification.
My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-delivery0.jpg

Name:  Delivery1.jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  96.4 KB

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-delivery2.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-delivery3.jpg

Accessories fitted
1) Dash Camera from XUV
2) Auto Folding Mirror as additional accessory
3) Sun film - Mild
4) Font underrun
5) Rear under run
6) Side cladding
7) Rear Bumper skid plate
8) Number plate frame
9) Ceramic coating - from Esperto (Car detailing, ceramic coating, PPF & wraps - Esperto Car Care (Bilekahalli, Bangalore))

Initially I decided to take minimal accessories from Toyota and fit it from aftermarket. This did not work out for me unfortunately. I went to Car Shringar, JC Road as this had 4+ rating in google. They told me they have stock for front and rear under run at half the cost. But the quality of the material was not good, it was not fitting well and they started using glue which I rejected. By then they had already damaged the bumper in few places and I had to get it repaired. I then went back to Toyota and got the original accessory fixed. Even though the price is a bit on higher side, the quality is very different and fitting perfectly aligns to the bumper shape. Lost some money and peace of mind. Lesson learned too.

Detailing
In my XUV, I did SmartWax from Pete's and every 3 - 6 months it had to be redone. I took AMC for initial 3 years. My experience was not smooth there. I faced some real challenges and once I had to tow the vehicle because water entered ECU during wash and the car refused to start. After that I was maintaining the car myself with waxing done by me every 3 months.

I heard good feedbacks with ceramic coating and this time I wanted to try ceramic coating. I did some research and found Esperto Car Care providing good service. Mr. Ojus guided me and answered all queries. He preferred to do this just after delivery and I agreed. I dropped the car after delivery directly at his showroom. He needed 2 days to finish the work and shared some pictures with me during the process. The vehicle was delivered on 21-Dec-2019. Few images after the process.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-ceramic1.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-ceramic4.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-ceramic2.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-ceramic3.jpg

I wash the car myself and I only do it on demand. I dust the car with Jopasu duster and only if it is too dirty I wash the car. I noticed even after 1.5 years, the hydrophobic effect on the car was very good. I have taken additional 4 year AMC also and did my first AMC visit in September 2021 (1fter 1.5 years). Next service will be due at December 2022. The service needs one full day, I had to drop the car and then pick it up next day. Overall good experience so far.

Hydrophobic effect after one year
My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-ceramic5.jpg

Tail End
2 years are passed with multiple lockdowns. The Fortuner just crossed 12k KMs with 4 services. I am now really happy to have selected Fortuner over Ford Endeavor. Ford's exit from India will heavily affect the service and resale. Additionally with many BS6 DPF issues getting reported, I feel the decision to get BS4 was the right choice. Really glad that I made that decision with the help of this community.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2021 at 05:12. Reason: Typos
scorpio_fan is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:04   #2
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Super White - Service Experience

Toyota still follows old philosophy for service, the duration is every 5K Kilometers. My XUV had service interval of 10K Kilometers. One thing to notice is that the main service is 10K Kilometers the 5K service in between is only a checkup. They do this (check up) service pretty fast (Express Maintenance) if you don't have other complaints. Make sure you have prior appointment for Express Service.

Interestingly, the system does not provide any indication about the next service. You need to remember the next service always. I would expect some notification in the MID. Very old school!
Below you can see summary of the service, odometer reading and cost.

1st Service - 1000 Km / 1 Month (January 2020)
Odo Reading - 587
Cost 0.0
Work Done : Inspection

2nd Service - 5k Km / 6 Months (June 2020)
Odo Reading - 5801
Cost 0.0
Name:  5K_Service.png
Views: 1893
Size:  48.3 KB

3rd Service - 10k Km / 1 Year (Jan 2021)
Odo Reading - 9543
Cost : 5358
Work Done : Oil Change, Oil Filter Change, Wheel Alignment & Balancing, Inspection
Name:  10K_Service.png
Views: 1858
Size:  75.3 KB

4th Service - 15k Km / 1.5 Years (July 2021)
Odo Reading - 11728
Cost : 1479
Name:  15K_Service.png
Views: 1860
Size:  57.2 KB

The service experience was smooth and I did not face any difficulties with service. I generally wait at the reception and watch the process. Overall very much satisfied with the service.

Till now average I am getting 12.5 mileage with best mileage of 13.7. I did 21 fuelings till now.

Last edited by scorpio_fan : 22nd October 2021 at 18:45.
scorpio_fan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 13:56   #3
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT - Driving Experience

The decision to upgrade was a quick one and we had already planned our vacation during December 2019. We wanted to visit Corbett & Ninital during Christmas 2019. We had already booked tickets and stay already by August/September2019. I would have loved to visit these places in Fortuner. After collecting the car from Esperto, next day we had to travel. As tickets were booked already, I decided to continue the actual plan. So the car was in my basement for 10 days and it got a very good curing after the detailing. The Corbett trip was an amazing one where we could spot a tiger finally. I would say the Fortuner luck factor!

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-corbet1.jpeg

The run-in was properly done by observing speed limit and engine RPM. I followed this process till 2000 KMs just to be sure.
The next 3 months I clocked 5K kms just before lockdown. The travel was mainly to Kerala and I really enjoyed the relaxed drives. I never used the power mode as the eco setting itself provide enough power. iMT is another feature which I like very much. The rev-matching and smooth gearshift is really enjoyable on long drives. I did 2 trips to Kerala during January and February and then went to Kerala again during March first week and we got stuck at Kerala for the first lockdown. As we were with parents, it was a blessing in disguise and we enjoyed the lock-down to the fullest. The only setback was I could not drive the car much.

The body-roll is visible especially in some bad stretches, but that is the character of the body-on frame SUVs. It is manageable (once you get used to it). Another aspect is 18 inch alloys, I would have preferred a 17 inch as it could provide a bit more comfort. Also I feel 17 inch should be preferred for off-road conditions because it can take better hits from rocks during off-roading.

Few pictures from various drives.

Drive to Krishnagiri - Jan 2020
First long drive with Fortuner. We went till Krishnagiri toll plaza, had some idly from Murugan's Idly shop. On the way we stopped for some pictures.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_0040.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_0005.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_0007.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_0031.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_0136.jpg

Visit to Markandeya Hills near Kolar - Jan 2020
On the way, I lost the front number plate (it fell down on road because of the frame), noticed it after reaching the destination. On the way I checked multiple places and got it from the road near toll gate, the frame had fallen down. Many vehicles went over the plate. As this is the high security number plate no one knows how to order a replacement. After discussing and pushing the sales guy at Toyota finally he understood the process and ordered the replacement for me. It took 1 - 2 months to get the replacement but I am still using the old one. That is why you see no number plate in these pictures.
Generally they put a revet and fix the number plate now a days. They do not entertain these frames. I insisted for the frame as it looks much better aesthetically.

Markandeya hills was a destination we wanted explore. This is 1 hour journey from whitefield and the last stretch has some small hairpins. The road is narrow (last stretch) but it is not so crowded place. We did that as an evening outing.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_0203.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_0213.jpg

Enroute to Markandeya Hills, Kolar - Jan 2020

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_0225.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_0237.jpg

During the lockdown, we were at Kerala with parents (luckily) and the usage was very minimal. The car was shuttling between my house and wife's house 2 times in a month after getting pass from the authorities. End of June 2020, we returned to Bangalore via Thamarassery as Tamilnadu to Karnataka border(Attibelle) had restrictions at that time due to high no of covid19 cases in Tamilnadu. I got the pass to return to Bangalore with home quarantine and I was asked to enter Karnataka via Thamarassery check-post by Karnataka pass issuing authorities.

The previous day of the intended travel, I noticed one tyre had a puncture. I noticed a screw on the tyre which was the culprit. On the way I stopped at a place for fixing the puncture. He saw the KA registration and was a bit concerned (Covid19) and enquired about the details. I told him I am in Kerala for last 3- 4 months and he agreed to fix it. He said he is a bit careful because of the Covid19 situation and he fixes punctures only if he is confident. This travel had lot of uncertainties because I have to cross many districts, there were restrictions in place and was not clear about the formalities after reaching Karnataka. We had exit pass from Kerala and entry pass from Karnataka. The drive was an enjoyable one. We had packed our food and on the way we had Lunch from the car itself. We only stopped and got down for basic needs. The travel took almost 10 - 11 hours but it was a relaxing long drive after first lockdown. Sadly did not click any pictures because we did not get out of the car unnecessarily.

In September when borders were open and cross border movements were eased out, we decided to visit Kerala. After the first lockdown Kerala opened the tourist places in October 2020 and we decided to drive down to Nelliyampathy. This was just for the driving experience. There was clear instructions from the forest guards to return by evening 5. So we just went up for few hours and returned.

On the way to Nelliyampathi, Palakkad (Near Pothundi Dam) - Oct 2020

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_1437.jpg

Palakkad - Nov 2020
Another short evening trip to see the green paddy fields at Palakkad (and of course click some pictures). Explored some village roads and weather was so good with nice lighting conditions.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_2284.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_2291.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_2286.jpg

Day Outing, Kolar - Jan 2021

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_3190.jpg

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_3239.jpg

On the way to Bangalore via Sathyamangalam - Jan 2021
We did another visit to Kerala during Christmas for a family function. On the way back we decided not to take the traditional Salem route as it was getting boring after many trips. We took the Sathyamangalam route. A scenic route through villages and Satyamangalam forest. No rush and a relaxing drive. There are 27 hairpins and car took it with ease. Another joyful ride with Fortuner.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_3343.jpg

Coorg - Oct 2021
It has been couple of years now without an outing with stay. With Dussehra vacations on cards we decided to Visit Coorg for 3 days. We did not do any sight seeing, but relaxed at the resort. I took the NH75 (towards Hassan), a scenic ride. On the way back, we decided to avoid Nelamangala - Yeshwantpur stretch and took the route Solur - Dobbaspet - Doddabellapur - Devanahalli - Whitefield. This was long route, roads were ok some construction going on. But the traffic was very less and had a relaxing drive back.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-img_6333.jpg

After the long route and rains car needed a good wash, next day took the car for a nearby car wash and got the exterior and underbody cleaned. Now waiting for the next trip.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd October 2021 at 07:57. Reason: Typo.
scorpio_fan is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 07:17   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage tomorrow
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 10:18   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on purchasing the Torquiest Diesel Manual transmission car on sale in India!

Wishing you lakhs of kilometers of joyful and stress free ownership.

Have been owning one since almost 5 years and it is my best purchase decision ever. The service cost is pretty economical and the car is built to last. 1.35 lakh km and no rattles or niggles despite my heavy usage on and off road. I’m still on my stock discs can you beat that ?

When you get bored with it after a few years you can always spruce it up with a suspension lift kit, good tyres etc etc. There’s plenty of options for the Fortuner.

Congratulations once again!

Last edited by dean5545 : 24th October 2021 at 10:20.
dean5545 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 15:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post

Additionally with many BS6 DPF issues getting reported, I feel the decision to get BS4 was the right choice. Really glad that I made that decision with the help of this community.
I completely echo your thoughts on BS4 diesel, having picked up a Rapid TDi in 2019 and looking around various DPF issues, I consider myself to be lucky that I don’t have to go through such clogging ordeal. Congratulations on your white beast, it looks so menacing in white, I’m not really a SUV guy but whenever I see one, I always give a second glance to Fortuner, the design is so cohesive and it never looks out of proportion for such a large truck. Wishing you many happy miles with your steed.
sachin_cs is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 13:01   #7

Many congratulations on your purchase! Looks like we have bought our respective Fortuners in the same week of December 2019. Mine is also super white but with chamios interiors and AT gearbox. I have completed 38500 till date with no issues to report. I completely agree with your thoughts on BS6 diesels. Toyota in Australia has been struggling with DPF issues since 2015, it was one of the reasons for me as well to prepone the buying decision and go for last batch of BS4 Fortuner manufactured in November 2019.
Maverick07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Congratulations on purchasing the Torquiest Diesel Manual transmission car on sale in India!
Thank you dean5545 for the wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
Congratulations on your white beast, it looks so menacing in white,
Thank you sachin_cs for the wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick07 View Post
Many congratulations on your purchase!
Thank you Maverick07 for the wishes!

I was in the dilemma to chose between BS4 and BS6. As my plan was keep it for long term, going with the latest emission norms was better. But soon I found that BS4 would be better as BS6 will have a more complicated set up and maintenance issues with DPF.

Quote:
I have completed 38500 till date
That is a lot usage in covid19 times!

I was trying to install the TPMS (SensAiry). Looks like they do not have any stock (5 sensor pack). Madhus is an approved seller & installer. They have stock of 4 sensor pack but not 5. The support team says it will take 2 - 3 weeks to get the stock back for the 5 sensor model (internal). The HU model will even take 3 months! Heard this is because of the chip shortage.
scorpio_fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 12:21   #9

Quote:
That is a lot usage in covid19 times!

I was trying to install the TPMS (SensAiry). Looks like they do not have any stock (5 sensor pack). Madhus is an approved seller & installer. They have stock of 4 sensor pack but not 5. The support team says it will take 2 - 3 weeks to get the stock back for the 5 sensor model (internal). The HU model will even take 3 months! Heard this is because of the chip shortage.
If it were normal times i would have been touching 50k kms till date.
Please share link for TPMS, i am good with 4 sensor pack.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th October 2021 at 12:25. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 27th October 2021, 15:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Please share link for TPMS, i am good with 4 sensor pack.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, right now there is no stock with the manufacturer. They do sell in Amazon but no stock there as well. Just search "SensAiry" in google and you get all information.

There is stock of external sensor which gets fixed directly to the air valve. It comes with some protection nut so that it does not get stolen. The batteries are also replaceable.
I think the difficulty will be there while filling the air.
If this is ok you can directly place order with them directly.

I prefer the internal one. Its battery is not replaceable, they have a life of 4 - 5 years. But no one can steal it and no difficulty to fill air as it looks exactly the regular valve.

I mentioned is that Madhus in Bangalore is a seller & installer, they mentioned they have stock of 4 sensor pack. Are you based in Bangalore?

See dealerships page for knowing if you have dealer in your state. If you find a seller call them and check if they have stock.

Best Regards,
Old 25th January 2022, 22:26   #11
BHPian

Did my first upgrade related to GPS tracking. I did some research on the various options available and decided to go with the "OneLap" brand. One main deciding factor was support of iOS devices. The general feedback online was decent.

The GPS tracking device not only helps to locate, it also gives out the route that you take and stores it. I think they store this data for a month.

There are 3 types Micro, Micro Plus and GO. If you don't want ignition control (Engine Access) you can go for Micro. If your car has Start/Stop feature, then it is better to go with Micro (without Ignition Control) according to "OneLap" FAQ. For old models with key start, you can switch off engine remotely provided you do wiring changes. You will need to cut some wires.

I bought Micro Plus but did not do the ignition wiring as I have Start/Stop feature. I installed myself without cutting any wires, you just need an always on 12 V, Ignition and Ground. The cost was around 3500 for device with 1 year subscription.

The buying experience was mixed, I ordered directly from the "OneLap" site and took 2 day delivery by paying 200Rs extra. But I did not receive the device even after 4 days and I contacted their support to know that they have not processed my order. After escalating it, they shipped on the same day and did a refund of 200Rs.
I find their support decent, answers all queries on working hours quickly. If you contact on a non working hours, it might take one additional day but it is fine.
You can also access their web interface from any computer / browser. Depending on the events you activate, it gives the notification on mobile (Ignition On / Off, Geofencing, Overspeed etc.).

Here are some screenshots of the application.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-log.jpg
Vehicle GPS Log marked with green color.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-stat.jpg
Statistics for the day. The Anti-Theft button once active (Red color), will notify you via notification in mobile if the vehicle is either started / moved out of the Safe zone.
If micro plus device you can switch off engine remotely with Engine Access button.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-events.jpg
Events available to subscribe.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-plans.jpg
For renewal these are the costs available now. It is a bit expensive.

Overall I liked the features and experience. Location and app is reliable and no issues. Support is good till now.
Old 31st January 2022, 12:39   #12
BHPian

Another upgrade was executed a month ago which was a long pending one on TPMS.

I looked at many options and finally decided on SensAiry an year ago. But it was out of stock for many months and I was always getting answer that stocks will come in 3 months. Finally in November 2021, they told me stocks will come by mid of December 2021. On 26th December, I got a call from SensAiry support that stocks are available now and I can order online.
I was on my vacation and I was at Kerala hoping to return to Bangalore by Jan 1/2. So I thought I will order it once I am back in Bangalore. But in few days Covid situation worsened and my return trip was delayed. So I decided to order it by December 30th. The package was shipped on the same day and shipment arrived in 2 days.

SensAiry does not have a installation partner in Kerala so I had to get it done from a tire shop. I visited few decent ones and one Michelin shop showed good response and know-how. They install JK TPMS and know how to install the internal sensors. I gave a brief of what the customer support person told me and shared the installation manual with him.

The installation was smooth and all 5 sensors were installed in 1.5 hrs. I did alignment and balancing after the installation and during the process found that front 2 tire's edge has worn out a little bit. They were swapped to back and good tires were put in front. More on this later.

Here you see some images of the application.
First you need to install the app and add tires by a QR code. After that you get the screen like below.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-tpms_panel.jpg
Displays all 5 tires pressure and temperature. Also displays when was the last refresh.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-tpms_tire_details.jpg

If you click on any tire, you get the detail like this. You can customize the maximum / minimum pressure according to your choice.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-tpms_settings.jpg

Further settings where you can select the units for pressure and temperature and few others.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-tpms_features.jpg

These are additional features available. But I like the "Interchange Tires" one a lot. No need to re-learn and complicate it. Just drag and swap.

My Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Review-tpms_tirerotation.jpg

You can drag and move tires according to the rotation you did. Very useful feature.

SensAiry also supports HUD, so you don't need a mobile but it will be displayed directly inside your car. Very useful if you are not the person handling the car always.

If the pressure goes beyond the configuration, you get alerts in mobile directly. They claim approximately 5 years life for this type of sensors. The internal sensors are sealed devices and battery cannot be replaced. The external sensors are more flexible as battery can be replaced but difficult to manage while refilling.
scorpio_fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 18:24   #13
BHPian

Another service update on 2 Year / 20k kms. Service was due by end of January. As I was in Kerala because of COVID situation, I decided to get it serviced from Kerala. Nippon Toyota and Amana Toyota was equal distance for me, so I decided to go with Nippon Toyota as they offered picking up the car.

Had no major issues, it was the regular service. Car has done 16k+ kms as of now. The total bill was 9758, see details below.

Name:  fortuner_service_jan22.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  83.6 KB

The break pads looks good with > 9mm thickness. I noticed a bit of vibration when applying breaks at 80/90 speed. Service guys accepted that vibration could be felt but said don't do skimming now as the vibration is mild now.
scorpio_fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 15:45   #14
BHPian

A slightly delayed report regarding the service.

The 25k / 2.5 year service was due by end of June. The service was booked in Nandi Toyota Whitefield for 14th July.

The only complaint was regarding the bugler alarm switching on intermittently. No solution was found yet as they were not able to reproduce.
The horn will start at a loud noise with blinking lights. Very annoying especially during midnight. The only option now is to switch off the sensor from inside, which to me is a security threat.

This issue has recently become more prominent, need to visit service centre again for this. Any member faced this issue and was able to rectify?

Below is the service bill.
Name:  Bill.png
Views: 892
Size:  70.3 KB

Total amount was 3513/-.
Old 12th October 2022, 14:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post

The only complaint was regarding the bugler alarm switching on intermittently. No solution was found yet as they were not able to reproduce.
The horn will start at a loud noise with blinking lights. Very annoying especially during midnight. The only option now is to switch off the sensor from inside, which to me is a security threat.

This issue has recently become more prominent, need to visit service centre again for this. Any member faced this issue and was able to rectify?
I had this issue in Endeavour, the burglar alarm would switch on midnight. We believed insects or rats could possibly be the reason as rats have always been a problem for us. I am sure, it was due to some movement inside the vehicle as we never had this problem during daytime.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks