Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2023, 21:12   #46
BHPian

Re: How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!

50,000 Kms in 14 Months with my Red Dragon:

Hey all, I’ve not been quite active on team bhp for a long time due to my professional commitments and very frequent travels which sometimes extends for several days(I’m out of town for almost every weekend after the Red Dragon arrived last year). Most of you might wonder how come I’ve
driven so much, but yes, I take my car almost everywhere I go, be it to a nearby shop which is 5 km away or to Tawang which is 3,500 Kms away. That much is the bond with my Red Dragon and he has been my lucky charm throught! I’ve made a lot of good friends who are like family, a lot of great
memories with this car. This car somewhat reminds me of my Dad’s Red Yamaha RX100 which we repainted to black before selling as that bike was the one I grew up on and have travelled a lot on that bike! I still remember that bike’s engine number and the Made in Japan engraving above the
gear lever.

Here's the glimpse of the Red Dragon now:
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-img20221205175933.jpg

After changing the market lights to orange
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20230310_183312.jpg

Interior Shot:
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20230307_100858.jpg

I will share my travelogue of travelling across India by car within a few weeks from now.

Most of the drives were solo and totally planned on the go!
So far I’ve driven close to 50k kms in one year(48k to be precise) and I’ve had a stellar experience with Ford Service centers across the country be it for a simple repair or a clutch job. I’ve tuned my car from Wolf Moto(Engineering Exponent) with a stage 1+ remap and the car is quite peppy after
the remap. The power output at the crank is 133PS and 295Nm. The power Output at the wheels are 125 PS and 275Nm. These are the results after a Dyno test by Harmonixx.

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-jithin_ecosport15tdci_stage1_wolf.png

I didn’t face any issues even while driving on the Mountains of Ladakh with the Wolf remap.Thank you Jayant, Rakshit, Prajwal, Sreekanth Ettan and Rajeev Ettan! In the Ford community if anyone wants a remap for their Diesel Ford, all they say now at wolf is I want Jithin’s map. That’s the level of reliability the map has as this map has seen all terrains and calibrated for a balance of FE and Power.

I’m a person who is curious and determined to do something different and unique in my car. Over the course of this year as my hands and head won’t stay quiet, I have done a few mods on my own.

Whatever I post here, I hope it benefits the community and Ford owners. Some mods I have already posted previously, so I’d be posting ones which are new and afresh. That gives me a different level of
joy and keeps me happy! And most of the mods are done independently by me(though I work for an IT company by profession) as well as the love for automobiles from childhood makes it even more enticing. All the mods are carried out on my own car only first and only then I suggest it to others.
I’ll share the total expenditure for all my mods below. Whenever I get free time, I will share all the mods list in both my cars on a separate thread.

Mods Cost: All the mods are sourced from Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai and different parts of the world, so I do not remember the exact location for most of the mod part sources, but I can certainly help someone find out some part if necessary.
  1. Wolf Stage 1+ remap(Done on Day 1 when I bought the car) : 28,000
  2. Dyno Test by Harmonixx: 5,500. I decided to get this done as no BS4 Stage 1+ remap had the exact figures for the power and torque mentioned and I thought that if I get it done, it will help thousands of people in making a decision for a remap.
  3. Headlights, roof and mirror blackening: 12,000
  4. Upgraded low beams from Automotive Light Experts: 15,000
  5. Downsized to 16” Thunder Alloys(Set of 5): 23,000
  6. Fiesta ST Diesel Speedometer(Imported from UK): 15,000
  7. Focus ST Steering(Imported form UK): 12,000
  8. Sync 3 Nav Module(from a used Endevaour): 11,000
  9. HID Fogs: 5,000
  10. Euro Spec AC cluster : 15,000(For the controller, wiring and bezel(I’m yet to re-do the bezel and will complete it soon). This AC control is enabled in voice and climate controls on Sync 3(first in India).
    The Euro spec AC cluster
    How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-img20221203202031.jpg

I’m getting a dual zone AC controller soon.

Satya has mentioned elaborately on the connectors part and here are the links for the connectors for reference:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003139592738.html -Female plug needed for global variants

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002931612491.html - Male plug which connects into the female harness
  11. TPMS: 7,000 for a set of 4 sensors
  12. Shelby Grill (made by 6 th mile customs): 9,000. For this mod, I had to give a used Ford Raptor style grill and 6 th mile customs did the custom mesh for me.

The Bare Frame
    How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-img20221203184236.jpg

With the mesh affixed
    How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-img20221205124848.jpg

Fits flush on the bumper
    How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-img20221205152030.jpg
  13. BMC Air Filter: 7,000. Personally I do not suggest BMC filter for a diesel Ecosport as there’s no significant difference in terms of output.
  14. Thunder Bumper Applique : 3,000
  15. Digital Speedometer: The cost for this I spent was about 20,000. This has an interesting story though.How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20230220_1331191.jpg

One of my friends from Bombay had given me a completely broken meter (Meter is a ford Puma meter though) and told me “Jithin, do whatever you want with this meter and please do not pay me for it”. I said okay and he shipped the meter to me. To my dismay, when I installed the meter, there was a huge crack in the LCD.
    How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20230220_222110.jpg

Then I approached all the European forums and my sources and everyone told me that full meter replacement is the way to go and nobody has ever refurbished the Ford digital meter. I was still thinking on how to source the LCD alone and I did some digging and found out that the display was available on AliExpress and this LCD is common across Puma, Escape, Kuga and Focus. This gave me some hope and I approached A close friend of mine in Mysore who has some connects in China. Even the aliexpress seller was curious to know if the meter will work after the LCD change. We got the meter LCD within a week and I spent one whole night in dismantling and fixing the LCD.

The digital speedometer disassembled
    How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20230303_022416.jpg

The LCD came safely from China
    How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20230303_021738.jpg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20230303_021634.jpg

Final results
    How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20230303_034758.jpg

After fixing the meter, I plugged it into my car and the display was in MPH and the dials weren’t working when the engine was on. Then I used my car’s as built file and everything started working perfectly including the readings in KPH. I thought my mission was complete with this, but the elephant in the room was locking the meter in place. So I had to trim certain portions of the speedo housing near the Dashboard and the speedometer itself and this was the most painful part in this process. However, the cuts aren’t visible as the speedo cowl covers it all. After 2 hours, the meter was sitting flush with all the panels intact.

Total mods cost: Rs 172,500

Here’s a video of me describing my car’s build in case if you are running short on time.

Additionally, I have worked on building the unlaunched EcoSport too during Nov-Dec 2022 for an acquaintance in Bangalore. Most of you might have seen this car posted on carblog India. That was the car I had worked on .He had a BS4 Titanium+ with fly audio and we went all out in changing the interior to black dashboard, Changing the alloys to the unlaunched version, converted from Fly Audio to Sync 3 and the whole front Fascia change. Personally I prefer the current gen front bumper as it’s a timeless and an elegant design. Due to time constrains, I haven’t been able to post any of
these.

P.S: I have shared all this info to help fellow owners make an informed decision and not for any commercial intent

The unlaunched facelift EcoSport bumper suits white! Helped a fellow enthusiast get the unlaunched facelift EcoSport bumper at his residence in Kolkata and we got it shipped it from Chennai
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-img20230307wa0034.jpg

The total cost for rebuilding this car was:
  1. Sync 3 (consists of Sync 3 screen[16,000]
  2. APIM module[11,000]
  3. Audio control module[10,000]
  4. GPS antenna[1,500]
  5. Illuminated USB ports[4,500]
  6. Center Speaker, Bezel for the center speaker and sync 3 bezel[5,000]
  7. Wiring Bunch from EcoSport S[13-15,000 depending on the seller])

Rs. 63,000 is the cost only for the parts and these prices vary for every part as I had sourced it from some Insiders at Ford.
  8. Bumper with the Bezel and DRL: About 25,000. We took the help of a known mechanic for removing and reassembling the bumper, Dash and Sync 3 wiring
  9. Euro Spec AC panel: The same cost as my car
  10. Alloys(again depends on the vendors): We picked it for about 40,000 for a set of 5.
  11. Cruise Control and TPMS: For the parts alone we spent about 13,000.
Total Expenditure: Rs 154,000

Here’s a video of what we have done on that car as well:

Fuel and Maintenance:
I’ve consumed 2,800 litres of diesel in 1 year and 2 months( For 50,000km running). The total fuel cost alone is Rs. 257,600(assuming Rs 92/Litre). Tolls I’ve spent about 20-25,000 throught my usage.

This is the best part now! In terms of maintenance I’ve spent Only 5,000 for every service apart from Clutch replacement(14,000) Tyre change: Yokohama Earth 1(30,000), first 2 tyres at Gangtok and the next 2 In Bangalore by Keerthi(Tyre Stacks, TC Palya road) and Battery Change(4,000) from Ford itself at Saluja Ford, Chandigarh. Alignment and Balancing I do it every 10,000kms.
Detailing at Turtle Wax: 12,000

Post detailing!
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20230310_183341.jpg

So total cost for my joy is Rs 355,600. I’d say it’s very reasonable as I’ve travelled across 24 states in India and this car has been like a mini house on wheels for me. Heck, even flights to travel so much would have been way more expensive(also the unlimited luggage carrying capacity while driving your own car is priceless!). I haven’t included the washing cost as that is frequent and imperative to keep the car clean.

Overall ownership cost with mods is Rs. 540,900. I could have cleared my car loan with this amount but the joy, the time spent travelling and understanding my car and experiences what I’ve acquired by travelling across India cannot be replaced with money and it won’t do any justice for the loan I’m paying if I’m not using my car to the fullest! Even Red Dragon’s twin brother the Blue Baby is running fine and covers miles equally.

I do have a few more enhancements to be done on the Red Dragon, those are EGR and Intercooler clean, Bette brakes as the brakes are not completely sufficient for a remapped car.

I’m contemplating of Brembo or EBC with disc change and TPMS display in sync 3(most of the Europeans, Thai and Vietnamese people have done it but I’m asking them to ship the module for an EcoSport so that I can study and custom tweak it to show TPMS and some values such as exact oil
temperature and boost pressures).

The one I'm aiming to get on sync 3 next is the TPMS and telemetry data pic. Works on Android auto too as per Polish sources

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-img20221013wa0008.jpg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-img20221013wa0007.jpg

Someday I wish to add even rear discs and a 4x4 1.5 EcoBlue Diesel manual engine with 6 speed gearbox from UK or Germany. Till then, Keep revving and travel often!
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20230213_16590801011.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 18th March 2023 at 05:06. Reason: Spacing
jithin23 is offline   (85) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 09:41   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post

Here's the glimpse of the Red Dragon now:
Attachment 2429003

Aft
Ecosport looks terrific and thats some very good remap numbers. Real bad that Ford left the shores. Having such a strong SUV presence overseas, hard to imagine that they did not bring a car between Ecosport and Endeavour. Wish you many happy miles ahead.
bullitt1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 09:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Ecosport looks terrific and thats some very good remap numbers. Real bad that Ford left the shores. Having such a strong SUV presence overseas, hard to imagine that they did not bring a car between Ecosport and Endeavour. Wish you many happy miles ahead.

Indeed! Their SUVs are quite ahead of its respective timelines. Kuga or Territory would have been the perfect slot between Ecosport and Endeavour. However I wouldn't blame Ford USA for this. It's sheer mismanagement by Ford India leadership and I've explained about this in the video as well. I cannot divulge everything here as certain information is sensitive to be shared over here.

Thank you and I wish to cover more miles in both my EcoSports
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 10:41   #49
BHPian

Oh man!!! This is simply stunning, no other words from a fellow Ford fan.
ask_017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 12:22   #50

Hey Jithin,

Some really amazing mods here.
Do you which of these mods can be enabled to BS VI Ford Aspire diesel titanium? Some of the mods that i would be interested in : TPMS display, Cruise Control, Auto AC with climate control, Fiesta ST Diesel Speedometer, Focus ST Steering, Sync 3 , If possible some the ADAS features.
swparth18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 15:40   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
Oh man!!! This is simply stunning, no other words from a fellow Ford fan.
Thank you Immense potential Ford cars have but sadly, Ford India never captialized their global origins and legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swparth18 View Post
Hey Jithin,

Some really amazing mods here.
Do you which of these mods can be enabled to BS VI Ford Aspire diesel titanium? Some of the mods that i would be interested in : TPMS display, Cruise Control, Auto AC with climate control, Fiesta ST Diesel Speedometer, Focus ST Steering, Sync 3 , If possible some the ADAS features.

Thank you Parth. Auto AC comes as default in Aspire. Cruise control is possible in BS6 Aspire. TPMS only indirect TPMS(without individual tyre values) are possible.

Sync 3 too is possible but expensive at about 65k ish. The rest of the mods aren't possible for your car as the car architecture does not support these mods.

Folks, here's the link for the Digital speedometer LCD alone, I forgot to add it yesterday :
https://m.pl.aliexpress.com/item/100...Adapt=Pc2Msite

Ebay is a treasure trove for all Ford parts

For the fully digital speedometer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255847217161

However do note that a fully functional digital speedometer will cost anywhere between 40-70k. I was lucky that I paid only 20k for replacing the broken LCD for the digital speedometer as the I got the whole assembly at no cost and my expenses was only the LCD

Even rest of the mods I've done can be found here by searching for key words. Eg: Ford Focus Steering.

Last edited by jithin23 : 15th March 2023 at 15:48. Reason: Added content
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 15:45   #52
BANNED

The Red Dragon looks stunning in Red.

Quote:
I could have cleared my car loan with this amount but the joy, the time spent travelling and understanding my car and experiences what I’ve acquired by travelling across India cannot be replaced with money and it won’t do any justice for the loan I’m paying if I’m not using my car to the fullest! Even Red Dragon’s twin brother the Blue Baby is running fine and covers miles equally.
The passion with which you have sourced the parts from all over the world and have modded your vehicle cannot be truly replaced with money.

Quote:
This car somewhat reminds me of my Dad’s Red Yamaha RX100 which we repainted to black before selling as that bike was the one I grew up on and have travelled a lot on that bike! I still remember that bike’s engine number and the Made in Japan engraving above the
gear lever.
Yes the nostalgia is something else. Today sold my father’s 14 years old Tata Sumo Victa (Passion Red). Since Tata Sumo was red, I bought a red Jeep Compass which would remind me of my father.
Coincidently my father also used to have a Yamaha RX-100, I think that is reason my father was excited when I bought a 1st GEN Yamaha R15. Some rides are just pure EMOTION

It’s shame that Ford stopped selling cars in India.
wizard_sultan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 21:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard_sultan View Post
The Red Dragon looks stunning in Red.

The passion with which you have sourced the parts from all over the world and have modded your vehicle cannot be truly replaced with money.

Yes the nostalgia is something else. Today sold my father’s 14 years old Tata Sumo Victa (Passion Red). Since Tata Sumo was red, I bought a red Jeep Compass which would remind me of my father.
Coincidently my father also used to have a Yamaha RX-100, I think that is reason my father was excited when I bought a 1st GEN Yamaha R15. Some rides are just pure EMOTION

It’s shame that Ford stopped selling cars in India.
Thank you and Indeed!, the passion for this car is something else which I cannot explain in words or monetary value. And I'd go on to say that the Ford EcoSport is equivalent to a Yamaha RX100 on 4 wheels!

The RX has always been a vibe and I wish to buy back the same RX 100 (CKM 5817). I found the bike's current location and owner details though! Awaiting for the owner to sell that particular bike and I'll pick it up in an instant.

This was my mom and I as a kid back in the Late 90's
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20230115_091443.jpg

The last pics of the bike before selling
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-img20230213wa0002.jpg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-img20230213wa0007.jpg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-img20230213wa0009.jpg

Also on a side note, I've reconfigured my digital speedometer(had some free time today to tinker with the Red Dragon) to show the rpm readings in the typical diesel RPM format which is 6,000rpm redline. At last one of the few Ford EcoSports with a fully functional digital speedometer for a diesel EcoSport

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20230315_212805.jpg

Last edited by jithin23 : 15th March 2023 at 21:56. Reason: Added content
jithin23 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 00:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

The only Ecosport I love to see all day should be hands-down yours, Jithin! I admire the passion you have for modifications. They've been planned meticulously and executed so professionally by yourself! Not an easy task at all.

That red beauty is so lovely under bright light.

Can you let me know on the grille part? You mentioned 6th mile customs built it for you? Am I right in saying they did the grille mod independently? I am intending to do a similar one for my Brezza. I am a raptor fan myself and I hope you get where I'm coming from
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 07:48   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
The only Ecosport I love to see all day should be hands-down yours, Jithin! I admire the passion you have for modifications. They've been planned meticulously and executed so professionally by yourself! Not an easy task at all.

That red beauty is so lovely under bright light.

Can you let me know on the grille part? You mentioned 6th mile customs built it for you? Am I right in saying they did the grille mod independently? I am intending to do a similar one for my Brezza. I am a raptor fan myself and I hope you get where I'm coming from
Thank you Gururaj! This car is a keeper for me and that's why I went all out on modifying this car. For the grill, I broke it down into two parts. Sourcing and assembling. For the Ford, I bought a used Raptor grill for the EcoSport and then asked 6th mile customs to work on the mesh, painting and installation for the grill. For your brezza I'm not sure what approach they will use, but I'm assuming as it's a maruti and doesn't have much complexities in the grill design, It can be done on your stock grill I believe. And yes, 6th mile yhave done such grills on Thars and it looks sexy with the aftermarket alloys on the Thar

Please Let me know if you need any help, I'll try speaking to Thomas (owner of 6th mile customs)
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 22:25   #56

Ford themselves could have refreshed the ecosport with these upgrades and given a new lease of life to this SUV.
Extremely shoddy management and product strategy killed a brilliant product.
All they did was cosmetic and whatever emission norms forced them to.
Really sad.
sasmit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 18:42   #57
BHPian

Wow. Just wow. The dedication and love you've is phenomenal. Would love to catch up sometime at Bangalore
noufal.ps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 17:31   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post

Hey all, I’ve not been quite active on team bhp for a long
Jithin really really love the work you’ve done on your ES, it indeed is a 1/1. The only reason I’ll get the Ecosport is because of you. How difficult is it to source the digital dash and the unreleased front bumper for the car?
Karanvxrma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 16:58   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasmit View Post
Ford themselves could have refreshed the ecosport with these upgrades and given a new lease of life to this SUV.
Extremely shoddy management and product strategy killed a brilliant product.
All they did was cosmetic and whatever emission norms forced them to.
Really sad.
True that, the miscommunication between the US and Indian management as well as lack of proper marketing killed the brand in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noufal.ps View Post
Wow. Just wow. The dedication and love you've is phenomenal. Would love to catch up sometime at Bangalore
Sure thing Noufal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karanvxrma View Post
Jithin really really love the work you’ve done on your ES, it indeed is a 1/1. The only reason I’ll get the Ecosport is because of you. How difficult is it to source the digital dash and the unreleased front bumper for the car?
Thank you so much for your kind words Karan! Getting the digital dash is one part of the puzzle, fitting and configuring it in the car is another task altogether but doable. You can get the speedo from a Kuga, Escape, Lincoln Nautilus or Focus. A fully functional speedo can cost anywhere between 40-60k in the eBay market and new ones are in 6 digits. The unreleased facelift bumper can be sourced in India itself.

One quick update on the Dual zone AC: The mod ended up as a failure because the EcoSport does not have a dual blower or AC motor setup to support dual zone functionality.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 11:27   #60
BHPian

Some Tweaks to Keep the Red Dragon Relevant.

As the car has completed 1.1L kms, I periodically changed the timing belt so that the engine is at its optimal health. All the services till date have been done at FASS Only! Post this, I got the EGR cleaned by a friend of mine who was a former technician at Ford. He came home and it took us almost 4 hours to clean the EGR body as the EGR body was hard to open. I think if these 2 things are taken care of, the engines will last longer. People think above 1L kms, the car gets old but I believe that is the real test for the car and sadly many people ignore these points. Already numerous folks have posted pics in detail about EGR cleaning, so I'll be skipping this part.

Thunder Dragon(Based on the EcoSport Thunder Edition)
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.44-am-1.jpeg

India's only Race Red EcoSport Thunder Variant. Also the love it receives from EcoSport Clubs is immense. People have bought and still continue to buy EcoSport due to the confidence of the Red Thunder Dragon.
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.44-am.jpeg

Finally I got my most awaited mod from Germany which was partly done by Fmods team. I got the OBD tool which displays critical engine data such as coolant and engine oil temp(for AT, even the transmission temperature can be displayed) as well as TPMS on the Sync 3 screen(very useful for Endeavour 2016-19, Aspire with sync3 and Freestyle with sync 3 as these cars do not display TPMS values directly. Aspire/Freestyle do not have TPMS from the factory but the TPMS frequency is same as the EcoSport which is 433Mhz and for the Endeavour it is 315 Mhz). This also displays Dpf and soot values which are useful for owners with Bs6 diesels. They have encrypted the OBD based on the VIN so that people do not clone their product and resell it. I paid about 160 Euros including shipping it to India.

I believe it is a super useful mod yet functional. Works with Android Auto/Carplay as well as an overlay. To make the mod working, first prep up the sync 3 by jailbreaking it and adding custom apps section. Then you need to procure the OBD from any of the admins in the Fmods team in Europe and then they will provide some files based on your vehicle and fuel type and you can flash that in your sync 3 and the OBD will get activated. Additionally for some CGEA cars we can change drive modes from the sync 3 screen(unfortunately EcoSport doesn't support it).

Drive modes through sync 3. I am still working on fully activating it from the sync screen
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-screenshot_20240430_113045_gallery.jpg

CGEA= Common Global Electrical Architecture Platform(Most of the Fords globally have this architecture)
C1MCA= Used mostly for European models such as Focus, S-Max, C-Max, Mondeo and the likes

The OBD from Germany(I've connected it to the back of the OBD and sealed it inside for a discreet look, plus the main obd can be used as well)
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.50-am-3.jpeg

Some Pics for better understanding

All the engine parameters overlaying on the Android Auto screen
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.51-am-2.jpeg

Home screen with info on the tpms(it's in bar)
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.51-am-3.jpeg

A dedicated app in sync 3 by fmods for OBD parameters including turbo boost
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.52-am-1.jpeg

The next mod was to change the Car's theme to the EcoSport Thunder Variant externally. The Thunder Variant was launched in 2019-20 in four colours only(White, Silver, Grey and Canyon Ridge). No Thunder edition was ever present in red, so I decided why not. From Start to Finish, it was an exciting challenge as the stickers were insanely expensive at Ford for the bonnet(12k for the bonnet sticker).So I asked a group member to bring his car for reference at a sticker shop at Hebbal. Took measurements of the decal and asked my sticker shop guy to replicate the same. We have created a template as well with the exact measurements for future reference. We did something similar for the Storm stickers too and it came out well. One of our friends was very particular about using Avery Dennison sticker material as it is meant for automotives and recommended by OEMs such as Toyota and Ford. To identify an Avery Dennison sticker, their company logo and Avery Dennison will be printed at multiple places on the back side of the sticker material. The entire stick design cost was about 5k.

Thunder Template
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.45-am-1.jpeg

Storm Template
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.45-am.jpeg

The stickers alone aren't enough for the Thunder variant, Ford being Ford as always did some tricks here too. They changed the entire running board for Thunder variant and the plastic cladding on the door as well. For the Thunder variant, EcoSport will be written on the rear door plastic panel. This took almost a month to arrive and the total expenditure for the door claddings and running board was about 11k(rear doors 800 each, front doors 1700, running board 3k each for left anf right and the fender plastic was 600 each).

I've attached the part numbers randomly

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.48-am-1.jpeg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.48-am.jpeg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.45-am-2.jpeg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.49-am.jpeg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.50-am-1.jpeg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.50-am.jpeg

End Result for the side

The Decal and the Running board has been changed to the Thunder ones
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.50-am-2.jpeg

See the difference between the stock door panels and running board(in black plastic) vs the Thunder ones I've installed(the cuts and creases). Such changes are the reasons for Ford's losses(too many part variations and wiring variations)

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.53.01-am.jpeg

Here's Bhpian's Mad4bhp's EcoSport Storm

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.53-am-2.jpeg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.52-am-2.jpeg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.51-am-1.jpeg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.51-am.jpeg

Bonus Mod: Fmods team came up with some games too under the custom apps sections. I downloaded minesweeper and a car game to kill time in the ever growing Bangalore Traffic. Since sync 3 uses QML architecture, I'm thinking if I can try to implement wireless AA+CP by running a program code(anyway the Chinese HUs have these functionality using an app called zlink)

The Custom Apps Section
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.52-am.jpeg

Pipeline Mods: Sliding Armrest from the UK/US spec EcoSport(the whole armrest must be changed, not the center console, OE cooled seats(much needed now), custom maps for drive modes(I already have the digital cluster and the Mode button), OE rear disc(the 4x4 EcoSport Diesel in Europe has it), a glowing Shelby logo at the front replacing the current one and a full engine+gearbox swap to the 1.5 EcoBlue 4x4 diesel from Europe.

Refernce for the Shelby Logo
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.53-am.jpeg

The reason why I didn't add a few mods such as ADAS is it does not fulfil my requirement of simple yet functional. Secondly, Insurance and RTO will definitely raise eyebrows if the car gets involved in a crash and the insurance and RTO come to inspect the car. I believe these need to come from the factory as they have the right calibration methods. Already I've burnt my hands once by changing headlights from The Automotive Lighting Experts which is run by Anton. My car had caught fire last year due to their incorrect wiring gauge plus a conked up ballast for headlight wiring. I barely managed to walk out alive(I'm not posting the pics here as it still traumatizes me). He hasn't taken any accountability at all nor provided a proper compensation and the insurance too took some time to get approved(I had to pull some strings to get the insurance approved) as they had mentioned that this bulb+ballast is aftermarket and we won't approve. Luckily things went well and after that I've been skeptical about aftermarket headlight upgrades. I'd suggest not to go to Automotive Lighting Experts for any Headlight related work, rather Motofocuz run by Satish in Chennai is far more professional.

No, I won't go for sync 4 too(too buggy as per forums and not very useful if you're upgrading from sync 3), I will wait for the sync 5(codenamed Phoenix internally) to launch and will go for it as it's leaps ahead of sync 4 and more fluid in response. Wireless charger too I feel will overheat the phone and will reduce the usable life of the phone.

Link regarding sync 5: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thre...de-look.31282/

On the Travel front, not much this year except for constant sprints to Chennai and one drive to Kodai(was super hot this time around). If time permits, I will complete the remaining NE circuit.

One of the club members from Kerala had gifted me this lovely poster! Kudos to his passion for automobiles (rare to find this passion in thr current gen kids) Being 15 yrs old, he took a bus ride for 30kms just to see me and get a ride in my car. Can't thank him enough for this poster though!
How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-red-dragon-eco-sport.jpg

Till then keep revving'!

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-20240322_181222.jpg

How my 1st car ended up being a Used Ford EcoSport!-whatsapp-image-20240430-9.49.53-am-1.jpeg

Last edited by jithin23 : 30th April 2024 at 11:43.
jithin23 is offline   (30) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks