Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2022, 07:40   #31
BHPian

Re: My pre-worshipped 10th-gen Toyota Corolla Altis Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Dear Strider24,
Congratulations for the great purchase and what a lovely story.
I also own a Pre FL Diesel Altis 2011, 58k kms done
Last week A.S.S. asked to get the brake rotors and rear shockers replaced as I am facing noise from wheel- of course at an insanely high costs.
For brakes, I plan to get Bosch rotors like R2D2 did.
For suspension, would like to hear from you the details of parts used and costs involved. I also have a similar usage pattern( 90% highways) and would prefer better handling & feedback - my previous car was a Cedia sports
Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks in advance.
58k, 11 years look a bit too less for new rear shockers and new rotors.

Brake pads maybe worn but rotors need not be bought new. The old ones can be resurfaced before installing the new brake pads. I would recommend you to take car for inspection at a reputed garage for the same.

Similarly, for the rear shockers get it inspected at another garage before coming to conclusion. It's usually the front shockers that go bad faster unless your car is CNG or you carry a lot of weight at the rear all the time.

Most of the stuff done at Toyota will be very expensive and not worth the cost. And after sales service guys will try to sell you unwanted things to make up money.

Monroe makes decent aftermarket shock absorbers and can be easily fitted at FNG..Bosch makes great brake pads as well, you can go ahead with them.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 14:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
58k, 11 years look a bit too less for new rear shockers and new rotors.

Brake pads maybe worn but rotors need not be bought new. The old ones can be resurfaced before installing the new brake pads. I would recommend you to take car for inspection at a reputed garage for the same.

Most of the stuff done at Toyota will be very expensive and not worth the cost. And after sales service guys will try to sell you unwanted things to make up money.
I need advice in the brake parts. FNG owner after inspection diagnosed the issue as a slight leakage in booster cylinder and said rotors and brake pads are fine , but booster cylinder needs to be replaced.

However Toyota service advisor after taking multiple test drives and measuring the rotor dimensions said that the issue is in worn out discs and rear pads. While front rotors stand at 25.1 and 25.0 mm each against minimum thickness of 25.5 mm as advised by Toyota, rear rotor thickness is 8 mm now against 10 mm of new rotors. Rear rotors have already been skimmed once and further skimming is not advisable.

Toyota SA also confirmed that there is no leakage in booster cylinder so it doesn't need replacement.
Now I am in dilemma and tilting more towards Toyota and thinking of going for original parts though it is going to cost a lot ( atleast 40k ). Aftermarket cheap parts will cut the bill to just 15k ,brakes being critical part I think I should go for original parts only

Any advice from fellow toyota owners? Under low annual running is it advisable to go for aftermarket brake rotors and pads? Or can i go with a combination in some way? Like original rotors + aftermarket pads or vice versa?

I am going to keep this car for atleast next 4 year and i can't stand it not being in good condition.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th March 2022, 14:57   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
I need advice in the brake parts. FNG owner after inspection diagnosed the issue as a slight leakage in booster cylinder and said rotors and brake pads are fine , but booster cylinder needs to be replaced.

However Toyota service advisor after taking multiple test drives and measuring the rotor dimensions said that the issue is in worn out discs and rear pads. While front rotors stand at 25.1 and 25.0 mm each against minimum thickness of 25.5 mm as advised by Toyota, rear rotor thickness is 8 mm now against 10 mm of new rotors. Rear rotors have already been skimmed once and further skimming is not advisable.

Toyota SA also confirmed that there is no leakage in booster cylinder so it doesn't need replacement.
Now I am in dilemma and tilting more towards Toyota and thinking of going for original parts though it is going to cost a lot ( atleast 40k ). Aftermarket cheap parts will cut the bill to just 15k ,brakes being critical part I think I should go for original parts only

Any advice from fellow toyota owners? Under low annual running is it advisable to go for aftermarket brake rotors and pads? Or can i go with a combination in some way? Like original rotors + aftermarket pads or vice versa?

Thanks in advance.
I would rely on the Toyota service center than the FNG when it comes to the booster leakage diagnosis. Besides, a leaking booster will be visible due to the oil leaking.

If you are keeping the car for 4+ years, go with OEM pads and rotors.
Old 8th March 2022, 16:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:

I am going to keep this car for atleast next 4 year and i can't stand it not being in good condition.

Thanks in advance.
I just checked my last service report.
My front rotor thickness is 21.5mm and rear is 6mm
As per Toyota it should be 25mm and 8mm minium.
I am not facing any issues as of now with brakes. I have 90k km on the odo.

The brake pads I am using are TRW and they have lasted better than OEM for me and cost wise it was fraction of OEM cost , no issues with performance of brakes.

What is the actual issue you are facing apart from the
Leakage discovered?

Last edited by goenkakushal : 8th March 2022 at 17:03.
goenkakushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 19:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenkakushal View Post
I just checked my last service report.
My front rotor thickness is 21.5mm and rear is 6mm
As per Toyota it should be 25mm and 8mm minium.
I am not facing any issues as of now with brakes. I have 90k km on the odo.

The brake pads I am using are TRW and they have lasted better than OEM for me and cost wise it was fraction of OEM cost , no issues with performance of brakes.

What is the actual issue you are facing apart from the
Leakage discovered?
Real issue is the unsatisfactory braking performance, on high speed. untill August 2021 the brakes had very good bite and the car was quick to stop,infact being a car with 4 disc brakes it took me sometime to get used to it after I bought it, however in August 2021 within few days the brake performance had deteriorated. FNG changed the rear brake pads with TVS branded pads and rotor was skimmed.however the issue was as it is.

At present I have to pump brakes a lot to stop the car. While it's okay to have this type of braking performance at low speed , at 80+kmph speed i am not getting the confidence that car would stop in time incase of emergency braking.

Because I have seen and experienced the actual stopping power of my car , i am not able to digest that current braking performance is sufficient and want to restore it.
Old 8th March 2022, 20:29   #36
BHPian

Have you tried bleeding the brakes?
Am not too sure but I feel this could solve the issue.
Old 8th March 2022, 23:34   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Strider24,
Last week A.S.S. asked to get the brake rotors and rear shockers replaced as I am facing noise from wheel- of course at an insanely high costs.
For suspension, would like to hear from you the details of parts used and costs involved. I also have a similar usage pattern( 90% highways) and would prefer better handling & feedback - my previous car was a Cedia sports
Thanks in advance.

Hi Vikram

I am looking for the invoice/service bill from FNG after suspension work I got.

Will share it as soon as I find it. But as far as I remember, total cost was around 30.5k. none of the part were from Toyota, strut and some other part were from Gabriel and some were from OEM manufacturers in india and some small bits were imported as I was told.

Regarding my experience of this suspension work, it was neutral. My city ride has suffered, suspension setup is now stiff which on Corolla is not usual. Corolla is known for its soft suspension setup tuned more towards comfort however mine resulted into a firm setup which is pretty good on Highway but doesn't feel plush on city roads anymore.

I suggest before you finalize the parts brand and overall scope of work, do discuss and confirm what would it result into? Firm or soft.

Also have you tried getting a quote from Gomechanic? I recently got my other car i10 serviced from them and experience was good.

I am thinking about taking a quotation from them for the brake parts replacement too and then decide.

You said you would go with Bosch rotors, are they good? Toyota SA told me that the hardness of material used in aftermarket discs are not as per Toyota standard and they tend to wear the pads unevenly which would eventually result into inadequate braking performance. Not sure if that's true or its just him trying to give some negative marketing of Bosch parts.

I would love if R2D2 as you quoted could give some advise here.
Strider24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 23:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Have you tried bleeding the brakes?
Am not too sure but I feel this could solve the issue.
Yes, brake bleeding has been done by FNG as well as ASC.there was absolutely no difference in performance.
Old 9th March 2022, 00:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
You can look for Bosch rotors and pads, they are pretty decent and Bosch is a well know company.

The Toyota pads and rotors are excellent but very expensive. I've seen Toyota brake pads last well over 85k kms if driving is not overly enthusiastic. Can't comment the same for Bosch but they should be decent enough and provide you great value for money.

Brakes albeit critical, but it's still safe to consider good aftermarket options. It's just a myth that for brakes only OEM is reliable, there are decent after market parts out there.

For my car I also got the suspension changed for 25k front and rear. It's aftermarket Monroe struts but does the job. Toyota quoted above 1L for suspension. FNG got it done much cheaper with new struts, LCA bushes and ball joint, mounts, link rods, sway bar bushes etc. It's been 10k kms since suspension overhaul and car is still running great and no noise. Just make sure you choose a reputed FNG.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 10:09   #40
BHPian

Quote:

For my car I also got the suspension changed for 25k front and rear. It's aftermarket Monroe struts but does the job. Toyota quoted above 1L for suspension. FNG got it done much cheaper with new struts, LCA bushes and ball joint, mounts, link rods, sway bar bushes etc. It's been 10k kms since suspension overhaul and car is still running great and no noise. Just make sure you choose a reputed FNG.
I am in the same boat, my car needs a suspension job desperately. I was also thinking of going for Monroe Struts, but what about the other parts. Which brand parts did you use for Bushing, Links, Mounts, Ball Joints?
Is your vehicle Altis or Corolla?
Old 9th March 2022, 10:23   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I am in the same boat, my car needs a suspension job desperately. I was also thinking of going for Monroe Struts, but what about the other parts. Which brand parts did you use for Bushing, Links, Mounts, Ball Joints?
Is your vehicle Altis or Corolla?
I have no idea about the brand of other parts. This was the job I completely left to the FNG unlike other things that I do myself.

They used the standard parts that they used for all the Corollas previously. So far everything is holding well. Only thing that was OEM were the LCA bushes. They said that parts they use are good for atleast five years. I know it sounds lame to blindly trust an FNG but I wanted to get the work done at minimum budget and usually minor components in suspension aren't that critical so I bit the bullet and went ahead.

But if you want to have parts of assured quality, I suggest order TRW parts from Boodmo, you will get linkages, ball joints, LCA, struts etc. Then you take everything to the garage and get it done.

Mount doesn't require replacement, my mount was damaged due to a pothole and was raised so it was replaced.

My car is not the Altis, it's 03 Corolla.
Old 9th March 2022, 10:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:

But if you want to have parts of assured quality, I suggest order TRW parts from Boodmo, you will get linkages, ball joints, LCA, struts etc. Then you take everything to the garage and get it done.
Bang on, This is exactly what I want to do. I have never ordered from Bodomo , I hope all products are genuine TRW.

Did Monroe make your ride stiff like the Gabriel as expressed by fellow Bhpian.
Old 9th March 2022, 10:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Bang on, This is exactly what I want to do. I have never ordered from Bodomo , I hope all products are genuine TRW.

Did Monroe make your ride stiff like the Gabriel as expressed by fellow Bhpian.
Monroe indeed are on the stiffer side.
But my previous struts were worn out to death. The gravity was all that's needed for the right strut piston to compress, there was no resistance left so the ride was very soft and bouncy and in comparison the new struts made everything stiffer so my POV may not be very accurate. But yes in comparison to OEM struts , they are definitely on the stiffer side as when my car had little better struts 4-5 years back then they were a little softer.

Boodmo will send genuine parts. No need to worry about that. TRW are decent for the price. Though for the struts I would suggest choosr Monroe and rest all TRW. The suspension kit maybe outsourced from FNG or maybe just try to find on Boodmo. The new kit is very important.
pta320 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 18:27   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Strider24,
Thanks in advance.

Hi, here is a copy of invoice I found. Hope this helps.

My pre-worshipped 10th-gen Toyota Corolla Altis Automatic-img_20220309_182704.jpg

I am unable to find the images of parts which was sent to me,but at that time I too relied totally on the judgement and recommendations of FNG owner.

Last edited by Strider24 : 9th March 2022 at 18:33.
Strider24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 12:35   #45

Hi all,

My first post here on this forum, as I am looking to enter the world of being a car owner today with a purchase of a pre loved Altis 2009 G model.

I am looking at an immaculately kept manual silver G model owned by a TKM employee, who is the second owner (first owner was a TKM employee also). The car had no issues, and has run 97.5k km and has a valid FC till April '24. We took the car to the service centre too, who confirmed the odomoter reading as genuine and recommended a price of 2.8L if I wanted to purchase it.

I got the listing through a dealer (who of course claims to be a friend of the owner) who quoted 3.15L initially, but has agreed to a price of 2.75L including the RC change price.

I wanted some advice from fellow Altis owners on whether it is a good deal, or if I should keep looking for something else in terms of the car of the price I'm paying.

P.S. I understand that this is a pretty old model, and has run a lot, but being a Toyota, I hope it will run up to 2L km easily without a lot of investments, and being my first car, I didn't want to go for a Civic (which was my other choice) which was an automatic but needed more upkeep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks