Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2023, 06:31   #16
BHPian

Re: My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaityari View Post

What? I knew the parking scene was crazy in NYC but $1200 is beyond my imagination. Street parking must also be a pain because of street cleaning times. I had a difficult time in Jersey City until I recently moved to Rahway. If you are moving across the Hudson, ensure you rent a place with parking.

You probably don't see a good price difference because of dealer markups (Also, do consider the 6-7% sales tax over the MSRP that you have to pay). It may make sense to buy from a private seller if the vehicle is already under manufacturer warranty.
Its $46 per day or something, I guess monthly you could get a discount but not a huge amount. I live near Times Square so street parking is nearly impossible.

I wasn't aware on used cars there is a 6-7% sales tax on the listed online price. I saw on many places its says final price you pay. Whats the cost of insurance for a $40-50k BMW if you have recently moved to the US ?
Old 12th February 2023, 06:47   #17
BHPian

Re: My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Its $46 per day or something, I guess monthly you could get a discount but not a huge amount. I live near Times Square so street parking is nearly impossible.

I wasn't aware on used cars there is a 6-7% sales tax on the listed online price. I saw on many places its says final price you pay. Whats the cost of insurance for a $40-50k BMW if you have recently moved to the US ?
Insurance is really complex here. It depends on your age, marital status, car (obviously), and driving history. I was 29 when I first got the insurance on the X2 and my US license was new, I paid around $215/month. It has since fallen to about $165/month.

I believe it's cheaper if you add your spouse to the quote, even if your spouse only has a foreign license (a colleague's insurance on a new CX30 fell from $220 to about $160 when he added his wife).

Insurance rates fall as soon as your US license hits its anniversary. I'd imagine your license is new, so you can at least expect to pay $200ish.

I got my US license about a month after I got the car. As of a few months ago, to the best of my knowledge, only Progressive issues insurance on foreign licenses (and you can expect something around the $200/month mark if you are above the age of 25).
sdaityari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 09:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, Shaumik! Great review and wish you many miles of happy smiles

Sweet to know that you got the ride from my backyard Do you actually manage to find street parking in Manhattan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaityari View Post
There was one little problem. I owned an Android and the 2022 X2 only came with Apply Car Play. I was not going to let my allegiance to Android affect my new car experience - so I simply put in the nearest Apple store and got myself the iPhone 13 Pro.
Hahahahaha. My friend made fun of me for buying an apple phone for a year but switched allegiance two days after he got his 330i.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks