Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2022, 08:36   #1
BHPian

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant

Background: Move to the US

I joined American Express in 2017, and within a few months, I had planned to move to the US eventually to work at the headquarters in NY. Covid derailed the plans, but only temporarily and I finally got the chance to move in late 2021. My last memorable trip to the US was one where I drove a Challenger along the beautiful central California Coast in the winter of 2019 (Welcome to V8ville: Touring the Californian Coast in a 2019 Dodge Challenger). As my visa was approved, the number one thing on my mind was the potential car I would get.

I knew I didn’t need a large car and I was actively looking for two-door sport coupes, but I had in mind that my parents would often need me, and having either of them crawl into the back of a two-door car was the only alternative against it.

Before the move, I had shortlisted three options: Ford Mustang, Chevy Corvette, and the Porsche Macan. A Mustang was an obvious choice - I had fallen in love with the Challenger after my Californian Coast road trip, but the handling of the Mustang won me over in just a few hours of getting a chance to drive it. After about two thousand miles, I felt that I had outgrown the Challenger and didn’t need the straight-line acceleration if the car behaved like a rowdy pony on curvy roads.

The Corvette appealed to me for a different reason. It was my dream car in Need For Speed, and the prospect of owning it gave me butterflies in my stomach. The C8 looked gorgeous, and at a base price of $60K, I would gladly pay a premium if it meant having it in my garage. If all other factors were in my favor, I would still exchange my current car (that I eventually purchased) for the Corvette any day

There were two issues with the Corvette - the pricing and the waiting period. Though $60K was the base price, the ones pre-ordered by dealers were specced much higher. You would be lucky to get one below $70K. At $60K, I was already stretching my budget.

As has been the case since its launch in 2020, waiting periods for the Corvette range from 6-9 months. If I was patient enough, I could order one from the factory at near about $60K (+ taxes) and get it before I completed a year in the US. I could also find a rare Corvette sitting on dealer lots at a premium of $10-20K over MSRP (or sometimes up to $100K over MSRP) if I had the money. On principle, I had decided not to pay over the MSRP in any case. And I was not going to be patient with my time. After all, one primary motivation to move to the US was cars and I couldn’t wait to get into one.

That left me with the Macan. I loved the looks, and the base model was just around my budget. It was a five-seater, so my parents would have been comfortable any time they visited me. There was no rush in Porsche dealerships, so I could potentially walk into one, and walk out with the car. All I needed to do was convince one of them to give me a loan without a credit history.

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-20211022_174458.jpg
My last photo in New Delhi (this was on the Rao Tularam Marg) on the way to the airport. I wonder if it was a sign that I should get the Macan. This is the pre-facelift version but a Macan nonetheless.

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-screenshot-20230209-7.26.07-pm.png
My first photo after landing in the US with my cousin. I am standing at the Hertz parking lot of Newark airport, next to a Chevy Bolt that I am about to rent for the first week.

Last edited by sdaityari : 10th February 2023 at 08:31.
sdaityari is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 20:05   #2
BHPian

Re: My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant

Contacting Dealers before the Move:

Once I had my visa, I needed a month in India to get things in order before the big move. But in the age of the Internet, there was no stopping me from contacting dealerships for a potential deal.

On chatting up with them, I realized that as an immigrant looking to buy a car in the United States, you'll need the following items (different states have different requirements, but this list should give you a good idea):

Proof of identity, Proof of residency: This was not an issue as I could get into a rental agreement within days.

Proof of income:
I was moving for work, and my company sponsored my visa - so a visa copy and the offer letter would suffice.

Proof of insurance: Given I only had my India license, I felt it could be tricky to get one, but I had a lot of time to explore many providers and realized Progressive will give you car insurance on an Indian license without any hassles (the rates are high though, but money wasn’t going to come in the way of my desires)

Down payment: I was going to repurpose a part of my relocation bonus for this, but you could always use an Indian credit card for the down payment. In the end, I split the down payment 50-50 between my US funds and the India credit card.

Social Security number or ITIN: This was the biggest issue. SSN is like the PAN of the US. If earlier times, you could simply visit the SSN office any fine day, line up for a token, and get it issued the same day. Since covid hit, SSN offices around the country made it mandatory to get appointments, and I couldn’t get any within the first month of my landing in the US. This turned out to be the bottleneck, but also a blessing in disguise. I hear walk-in appointments have resumed now.

Note that these requirements may vary depending on the state you live in and the dealership or lender you're working with (This is not legal advice!)

Let’s say you manage to get the SSN - if you don’t have the money to buy the car outright, you still have one big hurdle to cross: the loan. As an immigrant without a credit history, getting a car loan can be a challenge, but it is not impossible. Here are some options you could consider:

Get a co-signer: If you have a family member or friend who has a good credit history, they can co-sign on the loan with you. This will give the lender added security and increase your chances of getting approved. However, just about anyone will not agree to it - if you were to default, they would be liable to pay the loan back, and missed payments affect their credit history too. Additionally, some dealers mentioned the need for the co-signer to be from the same household as yours. This can definitely be a challenge.

Find a credit union: Some credit unions have loan programs specifically for immigrants or people without a credit history. They may have more flexible requirements and be more willing to work with you to get a loan. I didn’t explore this option.

Consider alternative lenders: There are alternative lenders, such as online lenders who lend specifically to a cohort (like immigrants), that may be more willing to work with you even if you don't have a credit history. However, be aware that they may have higher interest rates and fees. You could also try getting personal loans to fund the car, but these loans most definitely have a higher rate of interest.

The option that worked for me was BMW’s International Executive program. Now, I should mention that I contacted at least ten dealerships, and not all of them showed enthusiasm about this. I feel the dealership’s stamp of approval has a strong impact on the decision of BMW Financial Services. I will talk about it more, but how can I talk about BMW before I talk about Porsche? After all, a BMW wasn’t even on my initial shortlist!
sdaityari is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 20:07   #3
BHPian

Re: My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant

Booking a Porsche Macan

The day I landed in the US, my cousin (who is studying at Yale) came over to New York to give me some support. Little did he know that my intrinsic motivation was something completely different. Within a few hours of landing, I showed up at the Porsche dealership for a test drive (I had taken an appointment over email).

I test-drove the Macan S and liked it immensely. The second-row space was abysmal, and my cousin couldn’t stop complaining - but I was never going to sit in the second row of my own car. The Porsche dealership had agreed to get me a loan through their international executive program, but they said that they would confirm the rates later.

I visited them a few days later to test drive the base model. I felt a lack of power (duh!), but decided to still go for it, given I am a fairly relaxed driver on the highway (my co-passengers would disagree). They informed me that my rate would be 11% and the period of the loan could only be until my initial visa period (which was less than three years at that point), so my monthly payments could potentially be over $2000. I contemplated a three-year lease, with an intent to buy it later, and decided to put $1k down to book an incoming model.

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img20211029wa0013.png
Booking confirmation of the Macan

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img20211029wa0011.jpeg
One of the Macans at the dealer lots which I test drove

All I needed to do was wait for my SSN appointment in a few weeks.

Reviewing Shortlist

The SSN delay was a blessing in disguise. I had some time to think and realize that the 11% was a rip-off. But the conviction still wasn’t enough to cancel it. I had canceled the bookings of Renault Captur and Nissan Kicks in India in the past and was dreading the potential harassment.

Thankfully, I came in contact with BHPian mobike008 (Avinash), which turned out to be the game changer. He had been in this country for a good amount of time and had gone through many car purchases here. He was kind enough to share his wisdom and that opened my eyes. He assured me of two things - 11% was abysmally bad and canceling a booking was going to be as easy as sending an email in the US (they do care about customer experience). He had purchased a BMW X3 M40i earlier in the year and suggested I at least test drive one before making a final decision.

I sent out that cancellation email and revised my shortlist - adding BMW’s X3 to it, and the newly redesigned Mercedes-Benz GLA. Even at this moment, I hadn’t added the X2 to the list.

Last edited by sdaityari : 10th February 2023 at 06:05.
sdaityari is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 20:10   #4
BHPian

Zeroing in on the BMW X2 M35i

I find it very weird that car dealerships in the US are off on Sundays. I got off work early one day to go test drive more cars on a Friday. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, and Land Rover dealerships are within a few minutes of each other in Manhattan. The GLA had been on my radar in 2019, so I decided to start with that.

The Mercedes dealership in Manhattan is an out-of-the-world experience. From the moment you walk into the dealership, it awes you. Not only are you surrounded by the flashiest new cars, but the modern, spacious showroom allows you to explore each model in detail. The GLA AMG 35 fit right into my budget, but they didn’t have one for a test drive. The salesperson said that he could arrange one later in the week, but also mentioned a dealer markup on the vehicle (or any other vehicle from the dealership). On hearing about the markup, I decided I cannot continue this journey with Mercedes Benz. I did call up a few others in the area to double-check the markups, but in general, I found out that dealers either didn’t have an AMG model or wouldn’t sell it without a markup.

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-mb_nyc20191114_0902.jpg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-mb.jpeg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-mb2.jpeg

The Land Rover and Porsche dealerships in Manhattan didn’t entertain the possibility of a loan without a credit history, so I didn’t bother to test drive any of their models.

The BMW dealership in Manhattan, though quite large, gave me a dead feeling, to be honest. The waiting area had only a couple of vehicles for display and I was made to wait for some time, even though I had an appointment through email. Thankfully, the experience could only get better from here.

A salesperson approached me, and I enquired about the X3 M40i. Obviously, they only had a base model and I decided to try it out on the busy New York streets. On my way to the parking garage, I saw a couple of BMW GS motorcycles and explained to the salesperson that the 310 GS is manufactured close to home and is not really a BMW. He was a motorcycle enthusiast too, and we talked about how I would get one as soon as I could get a motorcycle endorsement in the US. In hindsight, I did get a BMW F750GS within a week of getting my motorcycle endorsement, but that’s a different story for another day.

After driving the Macan, the X3 base model just felt too laggy and a switch flipped in my head telling me not to buy such a large car, without adequate power. The salesperson could visibly see the disappointment, and we were about to get into the X1 for a test drive hoping it would feel more agile. Before we could start it, he confirmed that the model had just been sold and was not available for a test drive anymore. I was about to lament my wasted half-day, when he suggested - why don’t you try the X2 that was parked just behind the X1.

If there was a thing like love at first sight, that’s what I felt when I lay my eyes on the black X2. It's a feeling of pure excitement and awe that is difficult to describe, but it's undeniable.

At first glance, everything about the X2 just clicked. The X2 is known for its sleek, athletic styling that sets it apart from other SUVs in its class. In fact, it’s not even an SUV - it’s a hot hatch! It has a distinctive, coupe-like silhouette that is both eye-catching and elegant.

Fun fact: It's also the only car in the whole BMW line up which has the logo on the C pillar!

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-bildvergleichbmwx1f48xlinex2f39msportx2017011024x7671.jpg
X1 vs X2 exteriors

Despite its small size, the X2 is designed to be a fun-to-drive vehicle that offers a dynamic driving experience. It has sharp handling and responsive steering, making it a joy to drive on winding roads. The curves of the body, the shine of the paint, and the purr of the engine all work together to create a feeling of pure joy. Imagine yourself behind the wheel, cruising down the road, and feeling the thrill of the open road.

As you take a closer look at the car, you'll find yourself falling more in love with its features, performance, and technology. The heads-up display shows the speed limit, your current speed, and the navigation. You never have to take your eyes off the road.

Love, at first sight, is a special moment that can only be experienced by those who truly appreciate the beauty and performance of these machines. Whether you're an experienced car enthusiast or a first-time buyer, when you find that special car that captures your heart, you'll know it's a love that will last a lifetime.

Imagine if I could feel this with the base model, how would the M35i feel? It’s 228 HP base model inline-4 feels much faster than it actually is, especially when you put it next to a 248 HP, but much heavier X3. The 300 HP M35i with its mid 4 second 0-60 times would feel out of the world. I knew I had to get the X2 M35i at that moment.

Unfortunately, the Manhattan dealership did not have an X2 M35i, or even a base model in its inventory, or in the pipeline for the next few months. The one I test-drove was not for sale. I could put in a factory order, but I wasn’t going to wait.

Last edited by sdaityari : 10th February 2023 at 06:14.
sdaityari is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 20:14   #5
BHPian

Car Purchase Experience

The day my SSN arrived, I was on a mission. No dealership in the NYC area seemed to have an X2 base model or an M35i in stock. I realized I needed to widen my net. In summary, my conditions were:
  • Car should be in the inventory (or on the way to the dealership)
  • The dealership should be able to help me secure a loan
  • No markups on MSRP

I realized the only way to search the inventory of all dealers was through websites like cars.com and truecar.com. Even though an incoming vehicle may be booked, dealers still list them in hopes of getting inquiries. There were perhaps about a couple of dozen X2 M35is in the country, and I wanted to get into one of them.

The only dealer in the whole country that checked all my conditions was Bill Jacobs BMW from Chicago. They had a black M35i, which had touched base in the US already and they were expecting it within a week. After a bit of persuasion, they decided to sell it to me at MSRP and said that they would get me a loan through BMW Financial Services.

Everything went right from that point on and within 48 hours of getting my SSN card, my purchase of an X2 M35i was confirmed. All I had to do was to fly to Chicago and drive the car home!

They even gave me a slight discount on the MSRP (around 3%), so I didn't mind them adding the Doc fees for a few hundred dollars and X2 Mats for $185 (15K INR for MATS )! However, the discount covered for anything extra that I had to pay, so I didn't protest any of these additions. Bill Jacobs was still one of the best dealers in the country. There was a dealer in Florida, who had added a $3K paint protection job on a $50K car.

After the formalities were done and I made the pre-payment over the phone. As I made travel arrangements to Chicago, the vehicle arrived at the dealership and my salesperson sent me the first photos!
Attached Thumbnails
My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img20211210wa0000.jpg  

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img20211210wa0001.jpg  

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img20211210wa0002.jpg  

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img20211210wa0003.jpg  

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img20211210wa0004.jpg  

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img20211210wa0005.jpg  

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img20211210wa0006.jpg  

Last edited by sdaityari : 10th February 2023 at 06:18.
sdaityari is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 06:15   #6
BHPian

Later in the week, I flew down to Chicago and reached the dealership around 3 PM. All documents were signed, formalities completed and within a couple of hours, I had the keys to the car! At that moment, I finally knew it was real.

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-20211210_163715.jpg

The moment I got into it, I couldn’t fathom the roller coaster journey in the last week. I truly believe one of the best feelings is getting to experience new car smells.

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-11dd81a29396425e8ead3e1401bc5f92.jpg

It’s not a secret that I’ve grown up loving cars. Ever since I had the sense, I’ve always dreamt of owning a luxury brand. And to be able to do it before I turn 30 was definitely an unsaid target in my mind, though quite far-fetched until very recently. If one were to tell me about this just a couple of years before it happened, I wouldn’t have believed it.

There was one little problem. I owned an Android and the 2022 X2 only came with Apply Car Play. I was not going to let my allegiance to Android affect my new car experience - so I simply put in the nearest Apple store and got myself the iPhone 13 Pro.

Last edited by sdaityari : 10th February 2023 at 07:12.
sdaityari is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 07:12   #7
BHPian

I had an excellent fourteen-hour road trip ahead of me. The road trip was uneventful except for two things - I encountered thunderstorms almost all the way, and during my Niagra Falls detour, I noticed a car had fallen down into the Niagra river.

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-first_night.jpg
My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-first_night_3.jpg
Images on the first night of driving it home. I did only about a couple of hours of driving.

The next day, I took a detour to Niagra falls (as I had the weekend ahead of me, and I didn't see the point of stretching myself on the very first day of getting the car).

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-second_day.jpg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-niagra.jpg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-niagra_2.jpg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-niagra_3.jpg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-niagra_4.jpg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-niagra-falls.jpg
Thankfully, that's not my car

On the third day, I had a relaxed day ahead of me.

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-third.jpg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-third_2.jpg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-third_3.jpg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-first_trip_complete_mileage.jpg

The end of the first trip showed a healthy mileage, even though the engine works optimally only with 93 octane fuel. 32 MPG is about 13.6 KMPL. Considering V8s like the Challenger often give you less than 20 MPG, I think BMW has done a phenomenal job in terms of getting the mileage right. That being said, this was obviously not one of the considerations for me before the purchase. Fuel is much cheaper than India and even if it wasn't the case, I wouldn't be able to put an economic value to the fun that I have in this car.

The next few months were filled with adventure.

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img_0150.jpg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img_0151.jpg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img_0343.jpg

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-img_0320.jpg

Last edited by sdaityari : 10th February 2023 at 08:03.
sdaityari is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 07:41   #8
BHPian

I wanted to end the post with a few videos.

The first is a cold start. The second exhaust is functional only when I put the car into Sport mode.

Here's a look at the interiors. I absolutely love the interior lighting.

Here's a short drive in the woods.

I visited some beautiful places. Here, I took my car to a thin strip of land surrounded by the sea on all sides.

In this video, I took the car out during my first fall in the US. I captured some amazing fall foliage through my drone.

I also explored camping. Here I spend a weekend camping in bear country during summer.

Camping in the winter has its own charm. Scroll to the end of this video to me waking up to snowfall and the car right in front of my eyes covered with me. It was quite a moment for me.

Although the X2 does a cameo here, I crashed my drone during this trip.

In my first 9 months of ownership, I only had street parking. Even Google Maps picked up my car during its street view run. Notice how they blurred the "Live to Drive" sticker.

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-screenshot-20230209-9.41.33-pm.png

I completed 10000 miles in about eight months and documented my first service through the dashcam.

It's been over a year of ownership, and I have completed almost 15000 miles! I believe a full ownership update is due, and I will get to it as soon as I get some time and clear my writer's block. However, I have a habit of tackling things chronologically, and before I can write the one-year review of the X2 M35i, I need to tell you the story behind my purchase of another vehicle. More on that soon - until then, here's a glimpse of what excites me even more than my car.

My 2022 BMW X2 M35i | Buying a Car in the United States for an Indian Immigrant-screenshot-20230209-9.45.53-pm.png

Last edited by sdaityari : 10th February 2023 at 08:26.
sdaityari is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 10:08   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 10:21   #10
BHPian

The only small X car that I have liked on first sight. Enjoy!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 20:28   #11
BHPian

What a great car and a riveting write-up too! Your love for the X2 is clearly visible and I think you made a wise decision getting this relatively rare gem. I wish BMW were adventurous enough to sell it in India during the last gen X1's time. Wishing you thousands of miles of happiness with your new car.
Old 11th February 2023, 23:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and great to see so many details about the car. While I am pretty certain we will not be seeing this particular version (M35i) here in India, this may be the model that BMW brings to India next, to fill in the gap vacated by the jacked up pricing of the X1.

And is it just me.or does the Fronz look suspiciously like the X2?

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 12th February 2023, 01:20   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Shaumik. That's a lot of details from the beginning of your journey in the US of A.

We also have a similar story of picking up our Bimmer in a different state and driving it back home.

That’s one hell of a cracker of an engine in a small body. 300 HP in that frame must be really funI and I’m sure you are having a lot of fun with it.

BMW has got the entire range sorted that’s what I like about them. They are like the Maruti of german brand and engineering.

They have covered every step of the way from X1-X7 and 1 to 8 series with an added twist of offering regular cars for the budget conscious without compromising the driving dynamics to the almost surreal dynamics of M Performance cars for those who want a bit more fun from there cars.

I was wondering what took you so long to share your ownership thread but, I can see you were having a blast with your other Beamer.

Do share a review of that as well.

Cheers & Enjoy 1000’s of miles of trouble free ownership and keep updating this thread with your ownership experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaityari View Post

Booking a Porsche Macan

Thankfully, I came in contact with BHPian mobike008 (Avinash), which turned out to be the game changer. He had been in this country for a good amount of time and had gone through many car purchases here. He was kind enough to share his wisdom and that opened my eyes. He assured me of two things - 11% was abysmally bad and canceling a booking was going to be as easy as sending an email in the US (they do care about customer experience). He had purchased a BMW X3 M40i earlier in the year and suggested I at least test drive one before making a final decision.

I sent out that cancellation email and revised my shortlist - adding BMW’s X3 to it, and the newly redesigned Mercedes-Benz GLA. Even at this moment, I hadn’t added the X2 to the list.
Glad to help. Thank god you didn't get the GLA which holds no candle to the Macan or the Bimmers.

I drove the regular Macon and it's a nice car but, the real Macan is the GT turbo and by the time you spec it nicely, it will touch a ridiculous price of nearly a 100 grand and IMO, it's absolutely not worth that kind of money for a Macan when you can get some better cars from BMW in that price range.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 05:48   #14
BHPian

Congratulations on your two new vehicles! I also recently moved to NYC from India and was looking forward to a nice car in the US until I found out about the monthly $1,200 parking fees in my building, So I have been cycling to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaityari View Post

Zeroing in on the BMW X2 M35i

Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, and Land Rover dealerships are within a few minutes of each other in Manhattan. The GLA had been on my radar in 2019, so I decided to start with that.

The Mercedes dealership in Manhattan is an out-of-the-world experience.
These pictures caught my eye, this dealership is less than 5 minutes walk from where I live. There many high end dealers for Bentley, Lamborghini, Maserati and Rolls-Royce also nearby.

Did you think about getting a used vehicle from BMW also with a warranty ? I was contemplating of getting a BMW 530e or 530i if I move out of NYC later this year but I don't see much of a price difference between a 1-2 year used one and a new one.
Old 12th February 2023, 06:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
And is it just me.or does the Fronz look suspiciously like the X2?
From the photos, it may not be obvious, but the X2 is much shorter than it looks. And the M35i is lowered by an extra inch. I think I should cover these intricate details in a separate post soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Glad to help. Thank god you didn't get the GLA which holds no candle to the Macan or the Bimmers.

I drove the regular Macon and it's a nice car but, the real Macan is the GT turbo and by the time you spec it nicely, it will touch a ridiculous price of nearly a 100 grand and IMO, it's absolutely not worth that kind of money for a Macan when you can get some better cars from BMW in that price range.
That one dealer aside, I still feel Porsche appeals to be as a brand, and their cars are definitely fun to drive. I hear they are coming out with an electric Macan. Maybe my next car will be a Porsche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Congratulations on your two new vehicles! I also recently moved to NYC from India and was looking forward to a nice car in the US until I found out about the monthly $1,200 parking fees in my building, So I have been cycling to work
Welcome to NYC!

What? I knew the parking scene was crazy in NYC but $1200 is beyond my imagination. Street parking must also be a pain because of street cleaning times. I had a difficult time in Jersey City until I recently moved to Rahway. If you are moving across the Hudson, ensure you rent a place with parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Did you think about getting a used vehicle from BMW also with a warranty? I was contemplating of getting a BMW 530e or 530i if I move out of NYC later this year but I don't see much of a price difference between a 1-2 year used one and a new one.
Personally, I wanted a new car because I like the new car smells and I plan to keep it for a long time. That being said, I think it's wise to get a 1-2-year-old model, where the bulk of the depreciation has already been absorbed by the previous owner.

You probably don't see a good price difference because of dealer markups (Also, do consider the 6-7% sales tax over the MSRP that you have to pay). It may make sense to buy from a private seller if the vehicle is already under manufacturer warranty.

Last edited by sdaityari : 12th February 2023 at 06:15.
sdaityari is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks