Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2022, 08:05   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Behemoth – Toyota Innova Crysta 2.4D Z AT, Sparkling Black Crystal Shine Ownership Review

Great review, Sudharshan. Thanks for sharing. It's going to the top of our homepage today . The Innova AT has greatly blurred the lines between "MPV vs SUV"; it's so darn competent that Toyota actually discontinued the 2.8L AT variant due to cannibalisation with the Fortuner. IMHO, other than the looks & 4x4, the Innova Crysta is a superior vehicle to the Fortuner. Better ride quality & better handling included.

Agreed with the decision making process behind the car & the variant (we also buy top variants only). Despite so many competitors over the years, the Innova remains the benchmark MPV. I have two 1st-gen Innovas in my very close circle; one is a 2005 with 200,000 km on the odometer while the other is a 2007 with 225,000 km on the clock. The former is a regular cruiser to Goa & the latter does Mumbai-Ahmedabad frequently. Neither of the two have any plans to upgrade. In fact, the 2007 black Innova recently got a full paintjob @ a Toyota dealership itself (cost about 1 lakh). Even in terms of safety, I trust Toyota & the Innova. We always rent an Innova Crysta when the need comes up for a highway cab.

Wishing you a minimum of 200,000 happy km and many road-trips with your behemoth.
GTO is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 12:55   #17

Re: My Behemoth – Toyota Innova Crysta 2.4D Z AT, Sparkling Black Crystal Shine Ownership Review

Congratulations Mr. Sudharshan! That was a lengthy yet interesting ownership review, needless to say the best choice, even we have been loyal with Toyota Innova as our family car ever since 2006 and through the years we have owned many of them (none of them was sold below the 2 lakh mark ) and can guarantee you that it's never going to let you down, you may get tired but the car won't. You will love it even more while your highway runs and may want to take some more road trips than usual just to enjoy the vehicle.
Hence, I Wish you unlimited enjoyable miles, numerous road trips and a happy experience with your Innova.

Regards,
Vedant.
Vedantoyota75 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 13:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with the decision making process behind the car & the variant (we also buy top variants only). Despite so many competitors over the years, the Innova remains the benchmark MPV. I have two 1st-gen Innovas in my very close circle; one is a 2005 with 200,000 km on the odometer while the other is a 2007 with 225,000 km on the clock. The former is a regular cruiser to Goa & the latter does Mumbai-Ahmedabad frequently. Neither of the two have any plans to upgrade.
Totally agreed with you here, even our 2006 Innova completed 5.85 lakhs kilometers, was our 2nd and the most favourite Innova of the all we have owned, after owning 2 Qualis and a 2007 Innova my dad was confident to go with a used Innova and in 2009 he bought home this car from his friend with already 2 Lakhs kilometers but still was a great car and since then we travelled half of our country and even 50% of Nepal with it, I grew up as a adult from a child along with it we had plans to keep it forever even after buying a new Innova, but its the uncertainty of life that the car met a major accident in 2017, it collided into a tractor trolley, Luckily no one was injured, we got the car repaired and bought it back to life but selling it off seemed to be a better decision and finally we sold the car later that year. On the bright side a few days ago Dad had an encounter with our beloved Innova at the Toyota Service Centre and also met the current owner who has completed 8 lakh kilometers with the car and he is also very happy with his purchase. That's Toyota for you.
My Behemoth – Toyota Innova Crysta 2.4D Z AT, Sparkling Black Crystal Shine Ownership Review-100_1038.jpg

Last edited by Vedantoyota75 : 2nd March 2022 at 13:56.
Vedantoyota75 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 14:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedantoyota75 View Post
On the bright side a few days ago Dad had an encounter with our beloved Innova at the Toyota Service Centre and also met the current owner who has completed 8 lakh kilometers with the car and he is also very happy with his purchase. That's Toyota for you.
Attachment 2279554
Wow!! 8 lakh Kilometres is certainly a feat. When a car which ran 1 lakh kilometres is considered an old car, Innova defies that.
sudharshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 15:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharshan View Post
[*]Engine braking and deceleration is a good and eager to slow down.
Congrats! That was a detailed review. Is it a petrol car or diesel? I thought diesel engines didn't have engine braking.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:12   #21

Quote:
Wow!! 8 lakh Kilometres is certainly a feat. When a car which ran 1 lakh kilometres is considered an old car, Innova defies that.
That’s only the reason why we love this car and it still stands unbeatable in the age of comparatively new feature loaded and tech savvy cars, and as they say after all 1-2 lakh kilometres is like a warm up for Toyota cars.
Vedantoyota75 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Initial Impressions after completion of 2500KM

The car is a dream to drive, it is very effortless and simplistic. Am findings reasons to start the car every other day and take it for a spin. I feel the car is making me mature and appreciate simple things with great quality rather than having complex gizmos with mediocre quality. Between trying to avoid buying Innova and developing the urge to drive it everyday, My Car taste and perspective of things changed.
Congratulations on the purchase and experiencing the greatest car from Toyota for India after Qualis !!!

Thanks for your detailed review. I am also in the same boat as you, comparing XUV7oo top model with Innova Crysta G AT. Anyway I have booked the XUV 7oo and expected delivery is April 2023. So I have plenty of time to decide on which car to go for. Your review has definitely helped me and making me more leaning towards Innova. But haven't decided yet. So let's see whether it will be mind over heart or heart over mind in my case. Really appreciate if you could share your views about this.

After all these review points, the only point you have missed to mention is "Kitna Deta hai?". If you could share your experience about the mileage in City and Highway, it would be of great help to me.

Thanks.
nirleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 17:03   #23
BANNED

A great review and one from the heart. I'm happy that you chose the Innova over the XUV700 - for one reason only, and that is that the Innova has held on to RWD with beam axle and body-on-frame construction. One reason I feel why it is such a durable & rugged vehicle. And even though I'm a rooter for Mahindra, I feel in this case the Innova is definitely a better buy!

Happy driving!
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 18:08   #24
BHPian

Thank you for the detailed write up @sudharshan.
How has your experience been with the ride quality over poor city roads?
Wish you many many safe travels!
Old 2nd March 2022, 21:44   #25
BHPian

Fantastic review ! Congratulations @sudharshan. Innova is the de facto choice for people looking for a no nonsense practical car in this price bracket. You've made the right decision going with it.

In our recent lookout for a car in this segment, it was a battle choosing between the Innova and the Safari. Though we went with the Safari, I still have a soft corner for the Innova and will always do.

The thing with the Innova is, if you're buying a car in this segment whatever your need be you cannot ignore the Innova.
Rshreyansh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 23:15   #26
BHPian

@sudharshan, many congratulations on your new purchase. Deciding a new car is the most exciting feeling followed by taking charge of it. Have to say you have made an excellent decision.

I had an experience to drive this lovely MPV in our latest tour. I took the wheel from Somnath- Dwarka- Ahmedabad-Pune. The car belongs to my very good friend and he had a very relaxed time not being behind wheels after many years (since he was the only driver in group till then before I joined them last year).
Last day I drove from Ahmedabad to Pune with 2-3 breaks and it was an amazing experience with nil fatigue. When it comes to road trips in India; Innova Crysta is the undisputed king.

Please keep sharing your ownership experiences here; it will be a good reference for others.

Have hundreds of thousands of miles with your new mate.

Cheers.

Last edited by Guru_Shikhar : 2nd March 2022 at 23:17.
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The G vs The Z

Innova 2021 has truly blurred the Base Variant (G) and Top Variant (Z) gap, to keep things in perspective, I have summarized the difference between G D AT and Z D AT variant. Also, called out the deal breaker choices for me (personally).

Attachment 2270172

Please click on the picture for more clear clarity of texts.
Are you sure the information in the image is correct? It says both G and Z are available in 7/8 seat configurations.
I checked the Innova out last week, and Z did not have a bench seat for middle row. And this was a deal breaker for me as far as Z is concerned. G has bench sear but misses airbags and keyless entry (Rest are ok).
Bh.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
IMHO, other than the looks & 4x4, the Innova Crysta is a superior vehicle to the Fortuner. Better ride quality & better handling included.
OT but try to explain that to someone who is hell bent on the "SUV" factor. For many who buy the 2WD Fortuner or even the 2WD Endeavor (earlier), I try to explain them that they are overpaying for what they are getting when compared to the Crysta. Crysta drives almost like a car and isn't as bouncy as the Fortuner. In the end, they reluctantly agree that SUV looks is what they are paying the money for.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:44   #29
BHPian

Congratulations @Sudharshan and you made the right decision by going for Z even though it's expensive. The worth of additional safety cannot be measured by money. Additionally, the dashboard of the G variant was too basic even before and after the recent 6/7 seater launches from the competition, it looks even more ordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Are you sure the information in the image is correct? It says both G and Z are available in 7/8 seat configurations.
I checked the Innova out last week, and Z did not have a bench seat for middle row. And this was a deal breaker for me as far as Z is concerned. G has bench sear but misses airbags and keyless entry (Rest are ok).
The Z was never available with the bench seats and it's the same even now, the official specs for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
My Behemoth – Toyota Innova Crysta 2.4D Z AT, Sparkling Black Crystal Shine Ownership Review-capture.png  

sunilg33 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 19:56   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Congrats! That was a detailed review. Is it a petrol car or diesel? I thought diesel engines didn't have engine braking.
It is a diesel. I have not felt engine braking on a petrol engine. So Far, whenever I take the foot off the pedal, I could feel the car reduce speed (especially in cases of speeds around 80+). In lower speed, the car tends to coast. I have developed the urge to take the foot off the pedal earlier than desired to reduce the speed considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirleo View Post
So I have plenty of time to decide on which car to go for. Your review has definitely helped me and making me more leaning towards Innova. But haven't decided yet. So let's see whether it will be mind over heart or heart over mind in my case. Really appreciate if you could share your views about this.
While it is obvious to compare Innova and XUV700, my take is that both the cars contend from a price and brand perspective and not on the type-of-car perspective. XUV700 against Safari Twins / Hector Twins / Creta Twins is a worthy comparison. In my opinion, Kia Carnival is the contender for Innova but Kia has priced Carnival at a place where Innova ends, so it is more of a upgrade in terms of interiors rather than contender.

XUV700 is a tech loaded SUV with comfort at the average range compared to Innova. Innova is a no non-sense MPV with great comfort and more reliability. I still have concerns in maintenance of XUV700, the amount of sensors and tech gizmos are prone to error, largely on the software end. Serviceability of a complex tech car is something to wait and watch from Mahindra Service. Whereas Innova has proven adequately in all fronts to be a blind choice.

If I had the luxury of time and to keep my Xylo for one more year, I would have waited and then took a call between XUV700 and Innova. It is a tough choice indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirleo View Post
After all these review points, the only point you have missed to mention is "Kitna Deta hai?". If you could share your experience about the mileage in City and Highway, it would be of great help to me.
Thanks.
I have not measured the exact range, based on the Fuel economy indicator on the HUD, I got around 12 in the highway runs and around 10.5 in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsakarp View Post
Thank you for the detailed write up @sudharshan.
How has your experience been with the ride quality over poor city roads?
Wish you many many safe travels!
The Z variant ride quality is good but the G and V variants offer better ride quality due to R16 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Shikhar View Post
Last day I drove from Ahmedabad to Pune with 2-3 breaks and it was an amazing experience with nil fatigue. When it comes to road trips in India; Innova Crysta is the undisputed king.
Cheers.
Thank you very much, Absolutely true about the fatigue. The Innova pampers the occupant, especially the Middle row very well. Driving the AT is also so relaxed, it is almost like the car telling "forget the driving part and enjoy the roads"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Thank you for spotting it out. The Z variant does not have the bench seat, though there is an aftermarket addon to make it like bench seat (I feel it is one of those no-to-have mods though).

Toyota Claims the Captain seat variant as 7 seater (2 + 2 + 3) combination and the bench variant an eight seater (2 + 3 + 3).

The G AT has 7/8 seater options whereas the Z AT has only the 7 Seater option. Yet another just Toyota things

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th March 2022 at 10:37. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
sudharshan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks