Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2022, 02:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review

Congratulations on your new car! The Kodiaq is a beautiful car with so many practical features and it makes the Tiguan feel so under equipped. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of OEM TPMS on this car, since it can be very easily retrofitted on your car. Once you install it, you'll be able to relay individual tyre pressures and Driving Tyre Profiles on both the Infotainment screen and on the beautiful Virtual Cockpit on your Kodiaq. You can drive down to Pune and visit the folks at The Mechanix Automotive, owned by a BHPian and have it retrofitted from them. I'll be penning down a small thread for retrofitting it on the Polo, hopefully sometime soon and I believe the process is somewhat similar on the Kodiaq but needs more coding and adaptations, compared to what I had to do for the Polo. Attaching a few images I found on Briskoda, showing the Direct TPMS feature in action.

Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review-20200115_173616.jpg.9991b4dff67dab6f4559995b59ca98c1.jpg

Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review-20200115_173612.jpg.7a2b072c4e1ef43116a59ecbe59bdedf.jpg

About the Mirror Dipping in reverse, did you have the Mirror adjuster knob placed in the L position? In my experience, this feature only works when we slot to reverse and have the Mirror Adjuster knob in L. Could you re-enable the feature and test it? Hopefully it should work more reliably this time. My father reported a similar issue on our Tiguan, but he never found a problem after he ensured the knob was on L. I believe this position is R in LHD cars since naturally they drive on the other side of the road.

P.S I am jealous of your auto-dimming ORVMs

Last edited by fluidicjoy : 6th March 2022 at 02:03. Reason: Reference for images
fluidicjoy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 23:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
AFAIK only the driver side ORVM is auto dimming in the facelift Kodiaq, even in the L&K.
Old 7th March 2022, 12:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris007 View Post
Great review, Jangra! I keenly followed your journey over the past 1-2 months. Can I ask why you ended up choosing the Kodiaq over the Tiguan?
Thanks man! Yes I remember our posts on same threads
On why Kodiaq over Tiguan - actually it started the other way round. I chose Tiguan over Kodiaq for its VFM package. In almost all grounds, Kodiaq is similar to its cousin except for its handsome looks (which is subjective). During the waiting period of Tiguan, I encountered several Kodiaqs driving on Bombay roads and I ended up drooling over its exterior styling imagining the pride of owning one. But with the waiting period of the new Kodiaq and dealers refusing to take any further bookings, I made peace with my desire of owning one. But when the last min offer came on the table from my SA, I just had to take it man. In this case, there are no technical reasons of choosing one over the other, in fact I miss some features from Tiguan not present in the Sportline, choice of Kodiaq was to satisfy my heart. Hope I explained it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleflick View Post
Absolutely love the pictures. How is the front seat comfort? The alcantara seats look so good. Do they get uncomfortable over long drives or while driving in the afternoon sun?
Thanks man!
Front seat comfort is right on! With the 12 way seating adjustment for both the front seats, one will never complain. Compared to leather, Suede/Alcantara will always be less hot to touch but I do miss the ventilated function of the L&K. By no means these get uncomfortable during long drives in sun. I have driven in in Bombay afternoons which is extremely hot since last week, and no complains. On the side note, I also turn the Auto START/STOP feature off in the afternoons, as when it kicks in, the cooling of AC shuts when you're car is standing still at the signals.

Quote:
OEM TPMS on this car, since it can be very easily retrofitted on your car.
I'll be penning down a small thread for retrofitting it on the Polo
Thanks man!
And thanks for the tip on retrofitting those. Looking forward to your thread on the same

Quote:
About the Mirror Dipping in reverse, did you have the Mirror adjuster knob placed in the L position? In my experience, this feature only works when we slot to reverse and have the Mirror Adjuster knob in L. Could you re-enable the feature and test it? Hopefully it should work more reliably this time. My father reported a similar issue on our Tiguan, but he never found a problem after he ensured the knob was on L. I believe this position is R in LHD cars since naturally they drive on the other side of the road.
Frankly I did not know this. I tested this also based on @adi_petrolhead suggestion and it works now

Quote:
It is only on the driver's side ORVMs, but yes, its a good to have feature.
Jangra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 13:00   #19
BHPian

Congrats Jangra and all the best.

I continue to wait for my Lava Blue L&K ....
BalaSNKL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 18:03   #20
BHPian

Congrats on the beautiful family mover. It's a looker and the interiors are a league of their own.

So, let me ask the question that others are shy to ask - how is the mileage?
Mad Max is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 23:31   #21
BHPian

Mileage I noted in "What I LIKE" category in my review. In a bumper to bumper traffic, you can get between 5.5 - 7 and I have noticed that it is improving with time. Highway sedate driving can give you 12 easily.
Old 11th March 2022, 08:04   #22
BHPian

Congratulations on the new ride Jangra! Brilliant ownership review. You have taken the time to really call out the pros/cons of the car.

The Kodiaq is indeed a tempting car esp. with family! Wish Skoda had also managed the booking process as well as the car has been built. Glad you got yours on time by moving aggressively.

Wish you 1L+ km of joy full rides!
bhushan08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 17:34   #23
BHPian

Bought a few things over last few days

1) Screen guard for infotainment. Now to be frank, you really don't need it. Unlike your cell phones which slides in and out of your pockets are more prone to scratches, not the infotainment. Guess I just got excited that this product exists. I'm also attaching the picture of how it looks post application. It does not look as bad and reflective as in the picture.

Link: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09SY6DC7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review-screen-guard-applied.jpg

2) Ikea scrubbing brush. Must have for the Alcantara interiors. Brush is neither soft nor hard and does a fine job of cleaning dust out of your seats. I use the bigger brush to scrub the floor carpet before vacuuming. Makes vacuuming a 5 min job in that case.

Link: https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/pepprig...EaAmuGEALw_wcB

Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review-ikea-cleaning-brush.jpg

3. Lint remover. Another must have for Alcantara interiors. In a normal day-to-day, this is all you need. Don't go for Scotch one as it very expensive. Ikea one is at Rs99

Link: https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/baestis...grey-70425627/

Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review-lint-remover.jpg

4. Floor mat for last row. I bought this from Ikea. I just need to cut it with the 70/30 split and apply two pieces in the third row. Skoda's accessory pack did not include mats for third row.

Link: https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/oesteri...0aAjtuEALw_wcB

Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review-carpet.jpg

5. Jopasu duster. Its a no brainer

Link: https://www.amazon.in/JOPASU-Jopasu-Car-Duster/dp/B00RJQ8XHU/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=jppasu+duster&qid=1647171950&s r=8-2

6. Dozen Microfiber cloths. Many good brands and quality available. I went for this.

Link: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B077BBH49Q/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

Schedule for my Car spa needs -

1- Weekly once car wash - 30min per week. I requested my car cleaner to only clean with provided microfiber cloths / sponge under my supervision.
2- Use Jopasu duster the other days on need basis. Car is not used everyday.
3- Weekly once interior clean - 45min per week. Do it myself with the above listed tools plus my old black and decker car vacuum.

Will surely get it detailed every 6 months in addition to this cleaning schedule.
Car has not driven much in last week as all our day-today needs requires a beater car. Few drives planned in April and I'm looking forward to that.
Jangra is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 18:28   #24
Team-BHP Support

Hi, could you take a screenshot on your iPhone when you have connected CarPlay and check the resolution of the image of the CarPlay display from the phone?

Just curious to know what’s the resolution of the infotainment unit.

Congrats on the polar bear! Wishing you safe miles ahead.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 20:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Hi, could you take a screenshot on your iPhone when you have connected CarPlay and check the resolution of the image of the CarPlay display from the phone?

Just curious to know what’s the resolution of the infotainment unit.

Congrats on the polar bear! Wishing you safe miles ahead.
I did not know we could do that. Attaching the image screenshot of resolution it is 800 X 480
My iPhone screen shot resolution is at 1170 X 2532
Attached Thumbnails
Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review-6aabc2f67b0f49ed92061e48f8f3b184.jpeg  

Jangra is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 20:01   #26
BHPian

Recently completed a 1200kms trip to India's cleanest city - Indore. Glad that my sparingly used Kodiaq got the treat of a long trip. And so did I.

Noting few observations from this trip and overall

1. What I hate -
a) Speed dings. I dont know what MoRTH was smoking when they implemented 80km speed dings. I do not mind 120, but dings at 80 is annoying on highways. Every overtakes involves speed from 100 to 60 and back to 80+, and lot of times it likes cruising between 75 and 85. Those dings also bothered my family, woke them from their sleep. I have never modified my cars and I keep them stock, guess I will have to live with this one.
b) Wireless Charger. I got a "Your Phone is Very Hot" warning. My 50% battery stayed at 50% post 3 hours of being on the charging pad with CarPlay on before this warning appeared.

2. What concerned me - During onwards journey, with the intention of better mileage, I drove on ECO mode. About 50 kms of driving in this mode, I noticed the drive being jerky between 4-5-6th gear while cruising. Never encountered this issue in city driving but on the highways when you're slowing down for traffic and cruising again, you can feel the jerk between those ratios, and also hear the transmission CLANK noise. You may not feel and hear anything, should your music system being loud, but when in mute, you can feel it and hear it. Switching to NORMAL mode I did not encounter this issue. BUT, while returning to Mumbai, this could be felt even in the NORMAL mode. This issue only occurs when you're driving very sedately and gears are changing at a very low RPM (1100-1200). In a SPORT mode or on a NORMAL mode with normal (not sedate) driving, this issue was not felt. I made peace with this behavior after 1200 kms of driving. This was never felt in my Vento 1.2 TSI. Vento jerkiness is only limited to 1st and 2nd gear.

3. Could be better - Its summer and 40+ degrees throughout -Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh, I would have loved if AC did a better job of cooling as my Vento does. Understand this is due to cabin area being significantly larger. Blower from 4th speed starts to get loud to a point that it hinders with the lovely acoustics of the music. I DONOT ever drive on Auto AC mode as it turns the air recirculation off and therefore takes forever to chill the cabin and maintain it.

4. Like it - a) Mileage. onwards journey was 400km sedate and 200 spirited got me 11.8kmpl. Return was mostly spirited which gave me 10.4kmpl. My Vento is only slightly higher, which is 14 when sedate and 12 when spirited. Also very happy to report that the car can easily do 600kms (atleast) on a full tank.
b) Alcantara seats. Car did not have a covered parking in Indore and with temperatures at 42 degrees, suede was warm to touch unlike leather that gets very hot.
c) Boot Space. Being a large SUV, boot space with 3rd row folded is only slightly larger than of my Vento. Its still in "like it" as the space is good.

5. Love it -
a) Fun to drive. All this while I only drove the Kodiaq in city. It is the highway that makes this purchase worth it. Compared to my Vento, this is much more fun on the straight roads. No matter what speed you are at, there is always a surge of power on tap. 0-100 under 8 seconds feels possible even on the NORMAL mode. You can have some real fun on the ghat section in SPORT mode, this SUV / crossover drives like a sedan.
b) Seat comfort. Usually all day driving makes me tired and gives me a back ache. This 12 way seat adjustment with lumbar support worked like a charm. No back ache and tiredness at the end of the journey
c) Silent cabin. Turn off the AC blower, mute your music, drive it over a pot hole, speed bumps, rumble strips, you will immediately appreciate the build quality. Even the sound of the door shut screams quality.
d) Music system. Its amazing! This is the first thing I flaunt about with my friends and colleagues.
e) Finally the reason I bought it over the Tiguan - THE LOOKS. I'm still not tired of drooling over it looks. Makes me very satisfied with the purchase.

Finally, and most importantly, it was the expression of my in-laws when we reached. They greeted the car before they greeted us

Some pictures from the trip

1st break at Starbucks Igatpuri.
Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review-start.jpg

Pitstop
Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review-break.jpg

The Roads
Name:  Roads1.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  133.4 KB
Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review-road-2.jpg

Reaching the destination at sunset
Name:  Reaching Indore.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  155.4 KB

Mileage to Indore
Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review-onward-mileage.jpg

Mileage to Mumbai
Welcoming my pride | 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Review-return-mileage-2.jpg
Jangra is online now   (46) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 21:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
Recently completed a 1200kms trip to India's cleanest city - Indore. Glad that my sparingly used Kodiaq got the treat of a long trip. And so did I.

======

e) Finally the reason I bought it over the Tiguan - THE LOOKS. I'm still not tired of drooling over it looks. Makes me very satisfied with the purchase.
Congratulations on the new car. Wishing you many many happy miles on this beauty. Great review and travel updates.

I recently saw a black version of the car overtaking me on a Delhi road and I followed it for a good 10 minutes admiring it all the way! You mentioned the looks of the car as the last point but if it were me, I would put it all the way up . In my opinion, it is one of the finest looking SUV (not just in the 7 seater category) right now in India!
akshaysehgal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 21:29   #28

Congratulations on your fantastic purchase!

Happened to travel on the same stretch few days back (Mumbai - Jalgaon - Mumbai 960kms) on my VW Tiguan Allspace, can understand the worth of your car when you drive on such beautiful stretches on roads. All those rumbler strips (most of them) just fly by and few big ones get you noticing awesome breaking ability too. Returned with over all mileage of 13.5kmpl (Eco mode mostly) & 11.8kmpl on fly mode (the Kasara downwards helps a bit). The 95 Octane fuel does revv up the performance and mileage!

Have a good ride!
Paras

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th May 2022 at 01:31. Reason: Removing extra dots and minor formatting edits.
Parasm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 00:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
Recently completed a 1200kms trip to India's cleanest city - Indore.
Hello. I am currently offered a Skoda Kodiaq Sportline Race Blue. I would like to understand from you if you may, the ownership and drive of the vehicle and the experience.

I am having back pain including slip disc and I dont like a stiff ride. What is your opinion on the ride comfort from the back and while driving the vehicle ?

I will be mostly driver driven and I had my booking for a Superb but thats not materialising so theyre offering me a Kodiaq.

Did you get any discounts ? Did you opt for the ridiculously expensive Skoda insurance ? Normal insurance is coming to 1 lac while the Skoda is coming to 2 lacs

I did a small test drive and while the car is punchy, my main criteria is safety, good for my back and neck and a reliability.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 23rd May 2022, 20:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I am having back pain including slip disc and I dont like a stiff ride. What is your opinion on the ride comfort from the back and while driving the vehicle ?
Ride is not as stiff as the Fortuner nor as cushy as Superb. You should drive it to see if it suits your back. If you are very particular, do not go ahead with the purchase without the test drive

Quote:
I will be mostly driver driven and I had my booking for a Superb but thats not materialising so theyre offering me a Kodiaq.
WOW! Any reason why Superb is not materializing? I would have imagined the other way round.

Quote:
Did you get any discounts ? Did you opt for the ridiculously expensive Skoda insurance ? Normal insurance is coming to 1 lac while the Skoda is coming to 2 lacs
Absolutely not! It was take it OR leave it. Do try your luck with the insurance discount.
Jangra is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks