Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2022, 11:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car is a BMW 6-Series GT 630d!

Congratulations! Fabulous car! That's a crisp overview of your shortlist. Just curious, which were the top two contenders towards the end of your evaluation?

I am guessing there are other cars in the family that you drive and 6GT is your personal first car?
androdev is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 11:45   #17

Many congratulations Rachet on your new ride, both are amazing cars in there own categories

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
From Maruti 800 to BMW GT 630d, that's more than promotion! We should invent a word for that!

Congratulations!
This is an amazing multi level promotion, like many others I also started out with Maruti 800 but after 20 years and 5 cars later I am still at Ford Endeavour level

Look forward to your future travelogs.
morphious is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 11:54   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on acquiring the new beemer. I find it really cool that you moved on from level 1 to say a level 10 in one jump.
Even I experienced such a transition which you could say was from level 3(wagon R) to level 6 (Taigun 1.5 DSG). So I can relate to you to an extent.
Having said that I am sure your dad's 800 would be also as precious to you as the new member !
Have a nice time enjoying both beauties from different eras.
cheers !
PRS7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 11:56   #19
BHPian

Thank you all for your wishes. Like all of you said, the car is just amazing to drive. The best diesel engine mated to the best gearbox gives an experience beyond explaining. Its loads of excitement every single time I take it out. Taking bio-breaks have become so annoying just because I hate to stop the car. It is pure addiction.

And trust me when I say this, I did not even go to the showroom in the 15 year old 800 but in a 15 year old TVS Victor, that is another gem of a machine I have with me. And I must say I went to very few showrooms in person but I summoned most of the cars to my apartment for test drives.

I will introduce the 800 and Victor gx to you all shortly.

@SoupRaw You are absolutely right. The car does bring the child in me each time I get in to the beast.

@Ritkon Both cars helps me enjoy the two extremes. I love both. The reason why I wanted to test drive cars ranging from 10 Lakhs is because I did not want to be overwhelmed by the extremely differences in all departments. So by the time I saw the 630d I had test driven and experienced everything below that which helped we with the transition.

@androdev Other than the 630d , I had shortlisted the Lexus ES300h and Volvo XC60 . Great cars they were. But the BMW felt like the best fit for me. And as I said, the 15 year old 800 is what I have in my family. And I do not drive anything else except for another 15 year old TVS Victor until I bought this beast.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd March 2022 at 15:43. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts
Rachet is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 12:12   #20
BHPian

Congrats on your fantastic purchase! Godspeed and happy motoring!
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 12:17   #21
BHPian

Many more Congratulations on your fabulous machine!

OT- Any word of advice for starters on multibagger stocks, investments etc. coz most of us enthusiasts are usually known for blowing money instead of the other way around.
Shanky_1002 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 12:24   #22
BHPian

@Shanky_1002 - I am no different, I just blew mine and bought happiness.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2022 at 12:40. Reason: No need for spaces before punctuation marks like periods & commas. Thanks :)
Rachet is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 12:30   #23
BHPian

Many Many Congratulations on the progress you have made. I am sure that you would be quite emotional while penning down the Headline of the review. This is not just a car purchasing decision process you've penned down but an inspirational story as well.

Congratulations once again!
aamishdhingra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 13:17   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachet View Post
@androdev Other than the 630d , I had shortlisted the Lexus ES300h and Volvo XC60 . Great cars they were. But the BMW felt like the best fit for me. And as I said, the 15 year old 800 is what I have in my family. And I do not drive anything else except for another 15 year old TVS Victor until I bought this beast.
That's really impressive!! You broke, rather shattered, a lot of conventional rules I asked because your evaluation of the cars was very insightful and you certainly seem to know what you want. I particularly liked your observations and decision to shift from SUV to Sedan. A majority of the buyers are better served by sedans.
androdev is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 13:39   #25

Congratulations.

Initially when I saw the thread, I thought it was some random Maruti 800 to BMW modification! I was expecting an ugly modified car! But this is totally awesome!

Wish I could do this in future
hellojeslyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:02   #26
BHPian

From 800 to 6, looks like a small reduction in numbers but a giant leap for you. Congratulations for your new ride and wish you a many million happy miles.

I am a big fan of road trips myself and i have always felt that the 6 series is a very potent alternative to big SUVs which has been largely ignored by everyone. I think it is a very capable machine and one of the best all-rounders from BMW.

As a current GLA owner, your observations resonate well with me. However with 2 kids who are turning taller faster than i can upgrade to my next car, I can no longer afford to cramp them up in the backseat. I have been contemplating an upgrade and like most others the natural choice is a bigger SUV, your experience does provide a welcome affirmation that 6 series is a definitely a good alternative. I would like to know the following:

1. How far can the back seats recline? Does it make for a comfy back seat ride where an adult can doze off without a worry?

2. Does it also come with a inline 6 petrol or is the 630D the only top-end model?

3. What was the on-road pricing (approx. figure at least) and did you get a good discount?

A special shoutout to your photography skills, you have managed to click some very crisp and sharp pics and from some unique angles that are not usually seen in all the pics we have seen so far.

Congrats again and i hope you put up a nice travelogue with your machine especially with some lovely pics!!
Ashwin Morey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:06   #27
BHPian

This is delayed gratification on a whole new level! I just have one question for you - how did you hold off making smaller upgrades all this while?
d3mon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:15   #28
BHPian

Don't know how to comment or share what I am thinking now. Going from 800 to the 6 or just the sheer opulence of the 6.
Honestly, lost for words. I would love to hear the other side of the story. How did you manage your finances and numbed the urge for so many years?
As much as the car is special that you got, I am quite sure this story will be equally fascinating.

All said and done, congrats on the 6. Brilliant color as well.
headbanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamishdhingra View Post
Many Many Congratulations on the progress you have made. I am sure that you would be quite emotional while penning down the Headline of the review. This is not just a car purchasing decision process you've penned down but an inspirational story as well.

Congratulations once again!
Thanks a lot. And yes, like you said words fall short when I try to express my feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
That's really impressive!! You broke, rather shattered, a lot of conventional rules I asked because your evaluation of the cars was very insightful and you certainly seem to know what you want. I particularly liked your observations and decision to shift from SUV to Sedan. A majority of the buyers are better served by sedans.
Yeah, you are spot on. I have had such experiences with few people who had bought SUVs and when asked for a reason had none to give. I still believe for majority of people in India if they closely evaluate what they need they will understand they could have made a better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Morey View Post
From 800 to 6, looks like a small reduction in numbers but a giant leap for you. Congratulations for your new ride and wish you a many million happy miles.

I am a big fan of road trips myself and i have always felt that the 6 series is a very potent alternative to big SUVs which has been largely ignored by everyone. I think it is a very capable machine and one of the best all-rounders from BMW.

As a current GLA owner, your observations resonate well with me. However with 2 kids who are turning taller faster than i can upgrade to my next car, I can no longer afford to cramp them up in the backseat. I have been contemplating an upgrade and like most others the natural choice is a bigger SUV, your experience does provide a welcome affirmation that 6 series is a definitely a good alternative. I would like to know the following:

1. How far can the back seats recline? Does it make for a comfy back seat ride where an adult can doze off without a worry?

2. Does it also come with a inline 6 petrol or is the 630D the only top-end model?

3. What was the on-road pricing (approx. figure at least) and did you get a good discount?

A special shoutout to your photography skills, you have managed to click some very crisp and sharp pics and from some unique angles that are not usually seen in all the pics we have seen so far.

Congrats again and i hope you put up a nice travelogue with your machine especially with some lovely pics!!
To answer you questions first
1. The reclining angle is 9 degrees, not much when compared to the E class but more than enough I would say. The seats are wide and very comfortable. I drove close to 1K+ kms with my mom and my wife's mom at the back seat in two days and they did not feel a thing. They were super fresh even after the trip. Trust me when I say this, space is in abundance inside the car. It is a huge car.
2. The petrol version 630i comes with a 4 cylinder engine. Yes, 630d is the range topping model.
3. On-road in Chennai is around 95 lakhs and I heard that the price for the new batch that is coming out has increased by 2 lakhs. Yes, they do provide discounts depending on how the market is.

I will definitely share all my experience with the car and I will be sharing all the pics . Thank you.
Rachet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:44   #30
BHPian

@Rachet- many congratulations on your superlative, unbelievable, massive and lovely upgrade.
It is hard to make a choice when you have choice to climb the steps of your upgrade so radically; and I must appreciate they way you approached to the options gradually considering every possibility.

The 6 series is already a beautiful range and you are going to enjoy your new possession to the fullest. It’s gonna be difficult for you to drive other cars now��

Keep sharing your experiences.

Have lots and lots of miles on it…

Cheers.
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks