Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2022, 12:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Open Sesame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishith View Post
Would be great if you can capture this on a video and post it. I always rubbed this off assuming it would not work. But hearing from a verified source on TeamBHP is reassuring and this would truly be a time saving hack.

Thanks,
Nishith
Slightly off topic ...
My Honda city wont lock itself if the key is inside . One day we packed the spare key inside one of the suitcases and when we tried to lock the boot it kept unlocking. Finally i had to take the key out and then lock.

Both Tata and Mahindra have achieved design parity and better safety compared to other leading makers. Now is the time to focus on these minute topics for a wholesome experience.

Regards
Dev
irdevanand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 14:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congrats Anoop! Dark Edition is truly a beauty and the overall package makes for a very nice upgrade from the Vista/Punto. Wishing you thousands of miles of happy ownership.

Considering you have done a good amount of highway drives as well, I'm wondering why the significant difference in our FE figures. But anyways - too early to conclude now. Will watch out for your long term updates.
Thank you, CD. I think the disparity in mileage may be from the fact that the majority of my highway drives were on Kerala highways. I will do a tankful to tankful measure when I return to Bangalore and hope that it will give better results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Heard about this hack several times but this is the first time hearing from a verified source and happy that it works. By any chance can you capture this again in a video and post in Youtube? will be helpful for many.

Regards
Dev
Sure Dev, I will capture it on a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeDancer View Post
Congratulations on your purchase mate! The Harrier does indeed look great in black and has a very good road presence.

Sounds interesting. The 5th Gen City has a tech whereby even if you put your keys inside the boot and close the boot accidentally, it doesn't close, and gives out a warning sound indicating that the keys are in the boot. It's a very commendable piece of tech and more car makers should make this available, instead of the standard gimmicks we get in the name of technology.
Thanks, BrakeDancer. It is a nifty feature and I am happy to know that City has this.

My Punto also has a feature like this - all electricals get switched off after 1 hour of locking the car. So, even if you leave a light on accidentally, you will not drain your battery.

Wish all manufacturers incorporated features like these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishith View Post
First of all, Congratulations on this wonderful purchase, wish you happy and safe miles on this beast. The Dark edition undoubtedly is the best looking model on the Harrier.

+1 on the video regarding the Locked-out instance.

Would be great if you can capture this on a video and post it. I always rubbed this off assuming it would not work.

But hearing from a verified source on TeamBHP is reassuring and this would truly be a time saving hack.

Thanks,
Nishith
Thank you Nishith. I will sure make a video and will post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Slightly off topic ...
My Honda city wont lock itself if the key is inside . One day we packed the spare key inside one of the suitcases and when we tried to lock the boot it kept unlocking. Finally i had to take the key out and then lock.

Both Tata and Mahindra have achieved design parity and better safety compared to other leading makers. Now is the time to focus on these minute topics for a wholesome experience.

Regards
Dev
Wow, that is really good. Wish these kinds of features were standard across all models.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 16:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

Locked Out:

took the spare key from my house and after putting his mobile on speaker, unlocked the car couple of times. I also put my phone on speaker and kept the phone near the front door and voila, after a couple of times my friend clicked the unlock key, we heard the sweet music of the car unlocking

--Anoop
How does this work ? A cell phone speaker transmits sound waves, whereas the unlock mechanism requires radio waves [1]. Interestingly, Tata recommends "If smart key is near a mobile two way radio system or a cellular phone, then it will not work properly" [2]

[1] https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...g-a-cell-phone

[2] https://cars.tatamotors.com/images/s...arrier_OSB.pdf
zcar9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 18:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:

I called up my friend who is in Bangalore (who, fortunately, had my house key with him) and he took the spare key from my house and after putting his mobile on speaker, unlocked the car couple of times. I also put my phone on speaker and kept the phone near the front door and voila, after a couple of times my friend clicked the unlock key, we heard the sweet music of the car unlocking
Man! That's a story! Never believed this before. I'd try this too someday. In Hyundai, boot does not lock if you keep your key inside and shut the lid down. It refuses to lock and starts beeping. Only way it can be messed up in Hyundai is locking from inside through the door latch and then throwing the key inside.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 18:45   #20
BHPian

Re: Chronicles of Strider, the Black Beast | Our Tata Harrier XZ+ Dark Edition

Congrats on the car man! Your journey is very similar to mine. We started our journey by test driving the S-Presso, drove every possible car and ended up almost booking the Slavia. Thanks to some timely help from a very helpful bhpian, I booked the XZA+ Red DT at KHT whitefield.
tracerspiff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 19:03   #21
BHPian

How many keys did you get from the showroom along with the car?

Our office purchased a Harrier XT recently and we received just one remote locking unit and one stand alone key? I was expecting two remote units and two keys to come along with the car.
skumare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 22:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post

Our office purchased a Harrier XT recently and we received just one remote locking unit and one stand alone key? I was expecting two remote units and two keys to come along with the car.
I guess the duplicate key will be retained by the agency that gave the loan, assuming it was bought on loan. Once the loan is cleared, it will be given to the owner.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 05:51   #23
BHPian

Dark edition is truly a gangsta! Congratulations on your car. I too was inclined towards Harrier until I test drove even smaller cars and realized Harrier would be too big with its long turning radius on Bangalore roads. Do you have the Punto in Bangalore with you or does that stay in Kerala? If yes, how do you manage Harrier through the city traffic of Bangalore?
black.beauty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 06:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Locked Out:

Yes, I did it.
This has left me quite amused, more so due to my studies in electronics and communication.

To put it simply, speakers emit sound waves which in characteristic is different from radio waves. Phone mic captures audio signatures and not radio waves. Car key fobs emit radio signals which then is recognised by paired receiver within car.

Both these things are technically different. I am very keen to test this out to understand if at all this is technically possible, if so - how !?

Internet is filled many myth busting explanations but a forum member stating the efficacy has left many of us intrigued.
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 09:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcar9 View Post
How does this work ? A cell phone speaker transmits sound waves, whereas the unlock mechanism requires radio waves
I am not sure about the 'how' part, but thankful that it worked and saved me from breaking open the window glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Man! That's a story! Never believed this before. I'd try this too someday. In Hyundai, boot does not lock if you keep your key inside and shut the lid down. It refuses to lock and starts beeping. Only way it can be messed up in Hyundai is locking from inside through the door latch and then throwing the key inside.
Good that Hyundai gives that feature and hope Tata also gave something similar. It is the second time this is working for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerspiff View Post
Congrats on the car man! Your journey is very similar to mine. We started our journey by test driving the S-Presso, drove every possible car and ended up almost booking the Slavia. Thanks to some timely help from a very helpful bhpian, I booked the XZA+ Red DT at KHT whitefield.
Thank you. Hope you get your hands on your car soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post

I got 2 remote locking units but heard from other sources also that Tata ios only issuing one remote key due to chip shortage now. Do ask the SA when can you expect the second remote key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess the duplicate key will be retained by the agency that gave the loan, assuming it was bought on loan. Once the loan is cleared, it will be given to the owner.
Do banks still do that? I have bought 2 cars on loan and in both cases,m the bank (SBI) never took the key as collatyeral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black.beauty View Post
Dark edition is truly a gangsta! Congratulations on your car. I too was inclined towards Harrier until I test drove even smaller cars and realized Harrier would be too big with its long turning radius on Bangalore roads. Do you have the Punto in Bangalore with you or does that stay in Kerala? If yes, how do you manage Harrier through the city traffic of Bangalore?
Thank you.
True - wish I could add some dark tints too. Punto is in Kerala, and I use the bike to commute. Can't even think about driving the car daily in Bangalore traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
This has left me quite amused, more so due to my studies in electronics and communication.

Both these things are technically different. I am very keen to test this out to understand if at all this is technically possible, if so - how !?

Internet is filled many myth busting explanations but a forum member stating the efficacy has left many of us intrigued.
I am not technical enough to understand or explain how this worked, but I can say from my experience that it works - have done it twice now.

First was with old jelly bean zen which had an aftermarket Autocop central locking and now, my Harrier.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 00:08   #26
BHPian

Congratulations on acquiring Strider looks dashing and ultimate gangsta in the black shade and slim DRLs.
I'm a LOTR fan too (I guess my handle clears that ) and seeing the name "Strider" was heart-warming. I once named a friend's white Seltos as "Shadowfax".
Wishing you many many happy and exciting miles with your new ride. Drive safe !!
Anduril is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 16:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

I got a call from the Kropex Showroom Manager yesterday, after reading this thread (During the conversation, it never occurred to me to ask how did he dig up my number )

We spent almost 10 minutes talking and he was empathetic about my experience and want to know it in detail. He never tried to give excuses and seemed to be genuinely interested to understand how can they bridge the gaps better.

In his own words "I don't want your experience to happen again for another customer" and I find it really nice that Kropex took the feedback positively and is actually listening to customer voices and took the time and effort to reach out to get the details. Kudos to them and I hope the future customers will be happy with the service.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 13th May 2022 at 16:58.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 18:43   #28
BHPian

Congratulations! This is definitely a black beauty to behold! Especially, love the view with the DRLs. Great review overall as well. I know someone who is interested in this car and after this I am sure they are going to seal the deal

I have a question regarding the Dashcam. I assume the one you got is not available in India, so which one would you have picked up yourself (in India)?
akshaysehgal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 17:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Getting the car home

Quote:
I welcome the car to the tribe once the cleaning was done
Heartiest congratulations Anoop on getting home the ideal if not perfect alternative to the Punto. Myself being one of those who upgraded to a SUV, Harrier was coming out as the only choice since the Jeep was way beyond the limits in terms of pricing.

You actually did me a huge favour, I now would have to write anything technical in my ownership thread which is still on the paper and me being made to run by my company all across the country to make loss of the 2 yrs which I spent at home, the Harrier sits at home waiting to be unleashed.

Couldnt agree less to all the points made in your thread. Didnt see you write about the cruise control, hope you must already tried it.

Wishing you many more mile crunching and happy driving.

PS: Kindly suggest a name for my Orcus White Harrier.

Last edited by ghodlur : 14th May 2022 at 17:22.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 10:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaysehgal View Post
Congratulations! This is definitely a black beauty to behold! Especially, love the view with the DRLs. Great review overall as well. I know someone who is interested in this car and after this I am sure they are going to seal the deal

I have a question regarding the Dashcam. I assume the one you got is not available in India, so which one would you have picked up yourself (in India)?
Thank you.
Yes - the one I got is not available in India.
If I have to pick up one from India, I would have either gone for DDPAI Mini 5 or DDPAI Mona N3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Heartiest congratulations Anoop on getting home the ideal if not perfect alternative to the Punto. Myself being one of those who upgraded to a SUV,
Couldnt agree less to all the points made in your thread. Didnt see you write about the cruise control, hope you must already tried it.

Wishing you many more mile crunching and happy driving.

PS: Kindly suggest a name for my Orcus White Harrier.
Thank you :-)

For a white Harrier, being the LOTR fan I am, the perfect name would be Shadowfax

https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Shadowf...the%20Rohirrim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandal...d_of_the_Rings

Thanks for pointing out about the cruise control, I somehow missed it.

This is my first car equipped with cruise control and truth to be told, I earlier used to scoff at the idea of giving the control of your accelerator to the car. Then, the Kerala Traffic Police became overzealous with the speed cameras and peppered the entire highway from walayar to wadakanchery with them, and I started thinking it would be nice if I can limit the speed while driving through this stretch - especially during early morning drives. This time, when I drove back from Kerala, I entered the highway, put the cruise control to 85, and pure bliss - no need to keep looking at the cameras, no stress to make sure you don't accidentally cross 90 when you come across a camera (fine is 1500 INR, per camera :-( ).

In short, I really enjoy cruise control and made ample use of it during my highway trips. Irrespective of the mode you are driving, the car picks up speed pretty fast to reach the Cruise Control speed and while I like it, another friend who drives a Harrier doesn't like the aggressiveness of cruise control to achieve the speed. For both of us, this is our first experience with cruise control, so we don't have a yardstick to see if cruise control generally behaves like this, or if Harrier's cruise control is aggressive.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks