Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2022, 12:15   #16
BHPian

re: My First SUV | The Jeep Meridian 4x4 Limited (O) AT| Initial Ownership Review [Sold]

Kudos Axe77. Very nice review, at least will help Jeep sell some units. Mine is a counter story, will try to share when I can. I have a feeling that this model is doomed for flop. Let’s see.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:42   #17
BHPian

re: My First SUV | The Jeep Meridian 4x4 Limited (O) AT| Initial Ownership Review [Sold]

Great Review - while the Meridian seems overpriced by 3-4L now, given the way prices are increasing and the amount of pricing headroom the T-Fort is creating in this segment, the Meridian at today's prices will look like good value 3 yrs later. Happy cruising!!
govindasrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 14:11   #18
BHPian

Lovely review.. A lot of thought and detail in it. Enjoyed the comparisons. Wishing you many stress free miles with the Meridian.

Few notes -
1. Feel like that grill needs to be blacked out completely. Not a fan of the half Chrome/half black look.
2. Looking at the compass and Meridian side by side, was thinking the Compass would look so good with those Meridien alloys. Huge fan of those snowflake alloy designs. They look great.!
Tokengrip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 14:43   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Strong, clean lines with only the chrome overkill playing spoilsport. I will seriously consider blackening out some of these chrome design highlights, like I did with my 3GT front grill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokengrip View Post
Lovely review.. A lot of thought and detail in it. Enjoyed the comparisons. Wishing you many stress free miles with the Meridian.

Few notes -
1. Feel like that grill needs to be blacked out completely. Not a fan of the half Chrome/half black look.
Thank you Tokengrip. 100% with you on the blackening out the grill aspect (and maybe some other chrome bits too).

As I mentioned in the pics review this is very much on the cards - just that I want to keep the car 100% stock for first 6 months at least before I make any changes on any front.

I had done this to my 3GT as well - putting a comparo before / after pic from my 3GT review for ready reference. All black definitely looks much better and I have clear prior visual reference too thanks to the Compass.

My First SUV | The Jeep Meridian 4x4 Limited (O) AT| Initial Ownership Review [Sold]-gt-grill-collage.jpg

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th June 2022 at 17:59.
Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 16:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
[center]Rapid Fire Round: The Meridian FAQs

Until then, please do feel free to ask any questions and I'll be happy to address them as best as I can.
Short, tight & F_A_S_T way to get an idea of this car! just like the Meridian itself.

I saw one in black/green/blue at night from a distance. (In Pune, yesterday). It surely didn't look In-your-face like a T-Fort or Endy, but yes, looked expensive & posh (color plays a major role here) and definitely got my attention.

PS: time to update the signature

O|||||||O

~NA

Last edited by na_agrawal : 29th June 2022 at 16:13. Reason: Grammar
na_agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 16:10   #21
BHPian

Absolutely brilliant review of a very capable vehicle. This is a go to guide for all prospective buyers considering the Meridian (including myself). Loved the comparison with Compass and Fortuner.
TBH, I was most happy to read that the performance is not duller than the Compass given the additional weight. That would've been a real dampner for me. The fact that it is smoother than the Compass is truly an icing on the cake!
Wish you a minimum of 100,000 kms of happy driving with this beauty! Please keep this thread updated throughout your ownership experience, will be closely following this thread for sure!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 16:27   #22
BHPian

Thanks for the comprehensive review from end user perspective. It is very useful for those in doubt about the slow gearbox and lack of power. I was looking forward to Meridian. However, I ruled it out due to lack of paddle shifters and slow gearbox reviews. Your review has nudged me to rethink and go for a test ride. Thank you.
ScorpWarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 17:25   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
I saw one in black/green/blue at night from a distance. (In Pune, yesterday). It surely didn't look In-your-face like a T-Fort or Endy, but yes, looked expensive & posh (color plays a major role here) and definitely got my attention.

PS: time to update the signature
Haha. Great catch on the signature. Promptly updated - thanks to your eagle eye!

On the looks - yes indeed - looks expensive and posh on the inside too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhii176 View Post
This is a go to guide for all prospective buyers considering the Meridian (including myself). Loved the comparison with Compass and Fortuner.
TBH, I was most happy to read that the performance is not duller than the Compass given the additional weight. That would've been a real dampner for me. The fact that it is smoother than the Compass is truly an icing on the cake!
Thank you. Since the review being published, I spoke to yet another diesel A/T Compass owner pal who test drove the Meridian with his relative as a prospective buyer.

He too confirmed these two aspects - as peppy as the Compass and smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
I was looking forward to Meridian. However, I ruled it out due to lack of paddle shifters and slow gearbox reviews. Your review has nudged me to rethink and go for a test ride. Thank you.
I am still mighty peeved that the car does not come with paddle shifters. Its appalling that they skimped on this. Incidentally, even my model year of the 3GT had omitted this (was introduced in a later mid-cycle refresh). I actually went out of the way to upgrade my steering wheel to an M Sports steering JUST for the paddle shifters.

I recommend taking a very long test ride to finalise your view (either way) to take a call on the drive and gearbox tune. This is ultimately very personal and I can just as easily imagine some folks not finding it to their liking, and understandably so.

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th June 2022 at 18:01.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 18:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Rapid Fire Round: The Meridian FAQs
Given your thorough understanding of the Meridian/Compass, what is your opinion about Meridian being a one (and only) car garage for a long term ownership (6-7+ years)?

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th June 2022 at 20:16. Reason: Edited quoted text (hanging formatting tag).
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 18:49   #25
BHPian

What a comprehensive review. Like your articulation. In fact it’s specially helpful to me because I am in a very similar position as you are. I have a Jaguar as the car I drive myself. Had a Corolla Altis which I sold off after the lock down. There’s a 7 year old Polo which we have but its primary ownership is with my mother (we stay together) so I take full advantage of it. I am also in the lookout for a second car and was thinking between a Compass and a Meridien. Your review therefore has additional value to me. So thanks once again.

However, I have a general question to you as well as BHPians at large. We all think that most vehicles are overpriced by about 10% (at least in the upto 60 lakh range). Is there any vehicle in the category being discussed which offer the right value?
Dibyendu Bose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 19:11   #26
BHPian

Nice review and congratulations on latest addition to garage.

I liked the way you compared Meridian with Fortuner and Compass. I must say the suspension of Jeep is unbeatable. I have some questions about 3rd row but will park them for some other day.

Happy Jeeping !
sameerpb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 20:40   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Given your thorough understanding of the Meridian/Compass, what is your opinion about Meridian being a one (and only) car garage for a long term ownership (6-7+ years)?
Ideally, this would be a "What Car" question which should have some detail into the required use case, preferences on car attributes etc to facilitate a bespoke response. Absent that information, and at the risk of therefore providing more generalised inputs:

My view is: YES!

It can definitely be an "only" car. Its very easy to drive in the city, not unduly cumbersome in size, makes for a good self driven as well as chauffeur driven car, can provide a few extra seats for that exceptional occasion. It is equally safe, fast, stable car for highway cruising with family, with plenty of luggage space as well if you accept it as a two row vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibyendu Bose View Post
However, I have a general question to you as well as BHPians at large. We all think that most vehicles are overpriced by about 10% (at least in the upto 60 lakh range). Is there any vehicle in the category being discussed which offer the right value?
Again, value for money is intrinsically linked to the value you perceive in a product. But as a general proposition, in somewhat comparable products, one could argue that the Harrier / Safari twins are well priced, as are some of the Mahindra offerings (although even the XUV has tended to creep up on its price, specially for higher variants). The Tucson is decently priced too although it feels a generation older compared to most of the other offerings so there's that nuance in the case of the Tucson.

On a side note, and to your point in the bracketed text, its actually above 50 - 60 lakh where the cars have gotten eye wateringly overpriced. If sub 50L cars are 10% overpriced, many of the 50/60L+ cars are 15 - 20% overpriced IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
I have some questions about 3rd row but will park them for some other day.
You can ask me in person in a few weeks at the upcoming monsoon drive. Or better still, gauge for yourself when you see the vehicle.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 07:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I actually went out of the way to upgrade my steering wheel to an M Sports steering JUST for the paddle shifters.

I recommend taking a very long test ride to finalise your view (either way) to take a call on the drive and gearbox tune.
I did not know that you could upgrade just the steering wheel. Very valuable idea, thanks. Is it relatively straight forward? Does it cost a bomb? What about warranty validity? I am holding back on the test drive thinking that jeep would probably come up with Model S after a year with paddle shifters so I better wait.

Regarding long test drive - I ruled out compass after 25 km ride, was not comfortable during those quick overtaking maneuvers on a single lane road when stuck behind a long trailer with steady oncoming traffic. I missed the downshift badly. Maybe I wasn't familiar enough with the auto gearbox behaviour and had to abort the maneuver halfway. It wasn't very confidence inspiring drive. I then tried the manual stick shift and it was fun. How has your experience with Meridian been so far in such situations? Thanks once again.

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 30th June 2022 at 07:44.
Old 30th June 2022, 08:49   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
I did not know that you could upgrade just the steering wheel.
Axe77 is referring to his existing BMW 3GT in this case, not the new Meridian.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 09:02   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Axe77 is referring to his existing BMW 3GT in this case, not the new Meridian.
Yes , I understood that but had never heard that before. Always thought that it would not be possible technically and without voiding warranty hence the queries.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks