Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2023, 09:26   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: My First SUV | The Jeep Meridian 4x4 Limited (O) AT| Initial Ownership Review [Sold]

I am surprised that a different brand DEF can cause that kind of a failure. That is kind of a handicap. I think your failure has nothing to do with DEF and is probably caused by the weak fuel pump. Another instance of a failure caused by fuel pump below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4706473 (Jeep Compass : Official Review)

I think, there are couple of instances of this issue in the Compass review thread.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 11th June 2023 at 09:32.
padmrajravi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 09:42   #122
BHPian

Re: One year ownership update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
[center]ONE YEAR OWNERSHIP UPDATE
Odometer: ~13,500 kms

TL;DR
# Please fill only the Jeep recommended DEF. I have heard divided opinions on this with some indicating that any DEF is fine - but I’ve learnt first hand that that is NOT the case. Jeep owners please note.
Axe, based on my experience and my interactions with the service centre guys here in Bangalore,any adblue is fine as long as it has AUS32 certification. For the past 2 years or so I have been topping up by buying 5l cans from Amazon without facing any issues. I am not sure about the quality of the Tata adblue that was used in your car. But it's strange that it had an adverse effect considering Harrier/Safari also has the same engine. May be Tata sells different grades of Adblue and your relatives ended up buying the wrong one by mistake.
Rookie_Jeeper is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 10:10   #123
BHPian

re: My First SUV | The Jeep Meridian 4x4 Limited (O) AT| Initial Ownership Review [Sold]

For a one year old car, so many issues. Many of us look for trouble free experience , this car does not offer so. Interesting to go back and read the glowing reviews now. Market is clever and knows what experts dont.
neerajku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 10:41   #124
BHPian

Hey Axe, thanks for the update. I just wanted to ask if you have gelled with the car or not. Do you see yourself picking up the keys to the Jeep for a special drive?

Unfortunately in my escapades with the Meridian, it has left me disappointed most of the times. It shut down once in Powai and I missed my first 2 hours of college, the window got stuck in position for no reason at all and on my recent drive to Daman, I was reacquainted with the terrible gearbox tuning which made it pretty much impossible to overtake without planning.
revsperminute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 14:08   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I am surprised that a different brand DEF can cause that kind of a failure. That is kind of a handicap. I think your failure has nothing to do with DEF and is probably caused by the weak fuel pump.
Actually I’m not so sure. The moment I had mentioned that I put some other DEF, the SA warned me that there have been instances where this sort of a judder and breakdown have happened. This was corroborated by another friend of mine as well who had received the same input several months ago when he was in another state. This is exactly what happened within 24 hour of the incident. I think to be on the safe side, maybe they advise the Jeep recommended brand. I don’t think they’re trying to push their own sales since this is easily available on Amazon as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_Jeeper View Post
Axe, based on my experience and my interactions with the service centre guys here in Bangalore,any adblue is fine as long as it has AUS32 certification.
You’re most likely right. That is what I have heard as well - that it needs to be AUS32 grade. Incidentally the DEF that was put in my car did not say anywhere that it is AUS32. I checked the Tata can for this confirmation. So I’m not sure whether it is some truck grade DEF that was put or one for Tata passenger cars like Harriers and similar. It was something sold by some highway petrol bunk to my relatives, one of whom has never owned a car and the other (my mum), has never owned a diesel car, let alone a BS6 diesel car. So really not sure what exactly was sold to them and whether it was fit for purpose by any stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajku View Post
For a one year old car, so many issues. Many of us look for trouble free experience , this car does not offer so. Interesting to go back and read the glowing reviews now. Market is clever and knows what experts dont.
I’m not sure where you are coming from based on my post. I have had three issues in the last one year. Two of them - a physical accident and a self induced error of putting a DEF that is not recommended) really cannot be blamed on Jeep. The DEF issue has never happened before or after as long as I had put the recommended brand / grade of DEF. One part has been pre-emptively replaced under warranty literally within 2 days and even that didn’t really leave me stranded anywhere. I can’t really hold that as cause to complaint. Note that despite booking an appointment within 24 hours notice, they had delivered the car back to me within 3 days flat, sorting out the issue completely. All in all, for all the service related brickbats they get, full marks to them on customer satisfaction based on this experience at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Hey Axe, thanks for the update. I just wanted to ask if you have gelled with the car or not. Do you see yourself picking up the keys to the Jeep for a special drive?
The short answer to your first question is YES. Here’s some facts.

In the last 12 months since I’ve got the Meridian, the Meridian has clocked 13,500 kms. The 3GT has clocked 3,000 kms in the same period.
Almost every single outstation journey I’ve undertaken (bar perhaps one odd), has been in the Meridian. It simply feels a bit more fit for purpose for most such journeys, taking us from point A to B very comfortably and often with absolutely scant regard for road conditions when we’re headed to remote destinations.

Very often when we step out for an impromptu night drive in the city, its either the GT or the Meridian without much thought. I really do love driving both vehicles in their own right - each has their own charm. Of course without a doubt - pound for pound for raw driving pleasure the Meridian can’t really compete with my 225 bhp remapped GT. Its simply sophisticated at another level altogether. But the Jeep still has its own convenience, advantage or comfort when it comes to real world decisions of which vehicle to take when we’re headed for a long weekend to Lonavala / Pawana / even just a random drive within the city.

It was bought for a particular purpose and so far its fulfilling that purpose to the tee.

To your point on the gearbox - that is indeed an accurate observation (as I mentioned in my original review as well). Its not got that slam in fast acceleration as many other vehicles do and that can get annoying at times. But in my view, the many other advantages that the vehicle brings to my requirements are enough for me to (grudgingly) overlook this one flaw.
Axe77 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 17:36   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I’m not so sure. The moment I had mentioned that I put some other DEF, the SA warned me that there have been instances where this sort of a judder and breakdown have happened. This was corroborated by another friend of mine as well who had received the same input several months ago when he was in another state. This is exactly what happened within 24 hour of the incident. I think to be on the safe side, maybe they advise the Jeep recommended brand. I don’t think they’re trying to push their own sales since this is easily available on Amazon as well.
You’re most likely right. That is what I have heard as well - that it needs to be AUS32 grade. Incidentally the DEF that was put in my car did not say anywhere that it is AUS32. I checked the Tata can for this confirmation. So I’m not sure whether it is some truck grade DEF that was put or one for Tata passenger cars like Harriers and similar. It was something sold by some highway petrol bunk to my relatives, one of whom has never owned a car and the other (my mum), has never owned a diesel car, let alone a BS6 diesel car. So really not sure what exactly was sold to them and whether it was fit for purpose by any stretch.
You should be good with DEF from any manufacturer. I have two cars which consume DEF, and both manufacturer insist to fill their own. I have filled from outside and worked fine so far. As long as it's a sealed can and not expired, you can use. However on highways I have seen DEF being sold in large tanks in small shops. The quality of these cannot be guaranteed and are best avoided though they are cheap at about 60/L.

I have used Tata/Mahindra/IOC/Toyota/BMW from sealed can and didn't face issues. I might be wrong, but i thought all DEF are of same grade.
PrideRed is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 20:03   #127
Senior - BHPian

The DEF issue got me worried for a bit but I have been using Octonol for the Jeep for sometime now and haven’t had any issue yet. Just ordered 10L jars couple of days back as my DEF tank has gone red.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 20:45   #128
Team-BHP Support

Seems like I was particularly unlucky on whatever odd DEF was put in my car. Good to know these alternates also work well. Handy to have options.

Thanks.
Old 11th June 2023, 21:35   #129
BHPian

Just after I reached the end of post regarding use of incorrect / incompatible DEF and even before I started reading responses from fellow members, I knew somewhere deep down that it wasn't probably because of DEF. Feels odd but feels coincidental that fuel pump failure and adblu top up happened around same time.

But definitely cleared my doubts about using other brands of Ad Blu.
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 00:12   #130
BHPian

Quote:
That is what I have heard as well - that it needs to be AUS32 grade. Incidentally the DEF that was put in my car did not say anywhere that it is AUS32. I checked the Tata can for this confirmation. So I’m not sure whether it is some truck grade DEF that was put or one for Tata passenger cars like Harriers and similar.
All DEF are same. AUS32 grade means 32.5% concentration of Urea in the fluid. Adblue liquids can contain 31.8-33.2% Urea which is as specified by the AUS32 grade including the Tata Adblue. Also all DEF must comply with ISO 22241-1 standards which is also same as AUS32.
If the liquid has less than 31% urea or more than 33% it can't comply with the standard hence can't be sold as Adblue or DEF.
Buy from a reputed source, brand of the liquid doesn't matter. Also Jeep in the manual states to use ISO 22241-1 grade.

Also there is no "truck-grade" or "car-grade" DEF. They all are equal.

Last edited by Stolidus500 : 12th June 2023 at 00:14.
Stolidus500 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 00:37   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like I was particularly unlucky on whatever odd DEF was put in my car. Good to know these alternates also work well. Handy to have options.

Thanks.
I have a Compass S 4x4. I have bought 2 cans of DEF from Amazon named Octonol. Not had the time to use this though. I will definitely use it and if I encounter any problem will post it here, I don't think your issue was the DEF. The fuel pump must have been on its way out, that's probably why the cranking issue happened and an error got logged.

I have been using third party DEF on my X1 for the past 2 years, its not given me any trouble, they all seem to be the same. Moreover, incorrect DEF is supposed to show a very particular message on screen, something like Incorrect DEF detected or likewise.

Last edited by alphahere : 12th June 2023 at 00:40.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 08:02   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazed Axe at how much you have driven with the Meridian. Seems like a very good buy - except that your GT seems to have been orphaned. I must say that whenever I see a Meridian on the road, I think it is a great car - but sadly, Jeep don’t seem to value the urban petrol vehicle consumer.

Fortunately for you, with all the Poona and Karjat runs, you seem to have avoided the DPF issues - with my run cycle, that would be the key problem.

What’s your split of running between office and long runs? Do you track mileage on a tank to tank basis consistently? Worth doing that if you care, since trip meters can be quite inaccurate.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 10:19   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Fortunately for you, with all the Poona and Karjat runs, you seem to have avoided the DPF issues - with my run cycle, that would be the key problem.

What’s your split of running between office and long runs?
Thanks Hayek. The Karjat runs were very frequent in the first quarter of the car when it was doing weekend golf runs for my son. But that's not something he's pursued beyond last September or so. The other reason for Karjat is for my mum (she has a small place there given on rent) but even that is sporadic and very often she simply prefers to take her i10 (ingress and egress is easier with her back issues).

While I do make occasional trips to Pune and the odd long weekend getaway, I'd still say for most part (at least this calendar), the car has been more of a city dweller than outstation. I think that's also reflective when I see the last 3000+ kms mileage which is showing about 7.7 kmpl, closer to the city range than outstation. I'm sure there are several weeks at end that the car does nothing but 'in-city' duty and mostly during day time traffic hours.

Quote:
Do you track mileage on a tank to tank basis consistently? Worth doing that if you care, since trip meters can be quite inaccurate.
I do periodically check it with tankful to tankful and its always come almost exactly in line with the MID readout. I haven't re-tested this in more recent months though so maybe I'll do one again soon.

I understand your aversion to modern diesels and agree that in a 2023 context, its best to focus on buying the right petrol vehicle only. Its easier now that vehicles are increasingly converting to E20 compliant as well. Sadly, options do seem to be limited and each option has some compromise or the other.

Personally, I'd like an ultimate two car garage (in the next phase of car ownership) to sport any two of the following three: an EV / strong hybrid / performance oriented petrol. These are all 2025 and beyond decisions for me though. Definitely no diesels anymore.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 10:35   #134
BHPian

I wonder how it manages to get such bad fuel economy with a 9 speed gearbox. If it was petrol, it would have been easier to digest.
hAwX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 12:46   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hAwX View Post
I wonder how it manages to get such bad fuel economy with a 9 speed gearbox. If it was petrol, it would have been easier to digest.
I had been wondering this as well. Finally I have come to the conclusion that there is a lot of loss within the torque converter. I have been comparing this system with the Aisin system of the X1 (also AWD), just to understand why the X1 is so quick and yet so fuel efficient, while the ZF9 on the Jeep is on the opposite side.

In the Jeep I don't ever get the feeling that the engine power is being transferred without any slippage. Then engine freewheels when the A pedal is let off and when the A pedal is engaged again, it revs up quite substantially before some forward thrust comes up. Either they are not locking up the TC at all when the vehicle is in motion or this is happening very late once substantial speed has picked up. By this time fuel has already been wasted revving up.

In contrast, the feeling on the X1 is that it immediately locks up it's TC once in motion, any push on the A pedal translates to revs which is directly transferred to the vehicle as acceleration without any slippage. Definitely the Jeep feels as if it should be capable of much better FE figures if the tuning of the box can be tweaked.
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks