Re: My VW Virtus GT | Initial Ownership Review

Seems a very minor issue.

What was causing the noise?
Old 10th April 2023, 18:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhisang View Post
Brake calliper noise on braking at low speeds (abnormally loud, like a bus brake sound on traffic signals)
I had this similar noise issue in my newly brought City in the month of October. This is just a calibre being wet and the sound comes during slow speeds. Did your vehicle or the wheel is prone to get wet? Even water from AC outlet? Check that once.
CarCraze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 07:19   #33

It isn't related with water. I've done 7000 kms, and the sound is permanent. It will never go away.
Old 26th April 2023, 16:08   #34

Hi dr.delete,
Congratulations on your purchase of the Virtus , it is no doubt a fantastic car.

I too am in the market to replace my 7+ years old Vento 1.2 TSI , and for obvious reasons the Virtus 1.5 DSG is an easy choice to upgrade, it checks all the boxes for me , except for one ; and that is the air-con performance .

I have taken 2 test drives of the 1.5 DSG Virtus here in Mumbai and both times I have come away unimpressed with the air-con performance.
Now admittedly both times the drives were short (under 10 minutes), and the test car was a dark grey color. This was middle of the afternoon , bright and sunny. The Air-con set at around 22 DegC, automatic blower speed and in recirculation mode just refused to cool the cabin, the air coming out from the blower wasn't even cool. However once you drop the Temp setting to say around 20C and crank up the blower to 3-4 levels then the air con starts to perform adequately.
This is not the case with my Vento TSI, it was never a chiller like the Japanese and Korean cars but under most circumstances I rarely had to go under 22 C and crank up the blower beyond the auto mode.
This is a big deal for me, it is not something that can be fixed post purchase with an after-market upgrade or something else. You would have to live with it. ( I am aware of the software tweak that VW/SA has incorporated which has improved the performance a bit but not much).

What has been your experience with the Air-con performance, I see you are in state of MH which can get pretty hot in the summers, are you happy with the air-con? What are your typical settings?
Old 13th June 2023, 14:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
My Virtus GT had the following issues from day 1:
  • Brake calliper noise on braking at low speeds (abnormally loud, like a bus brake sound on traffic signals)
    A humming sound from the right AC vent (right of the steering wheel). This only comes when i press the brakes.

My car has been in the workshop 45 days our of the initial 90 days of ownership (6 visits to the workshop). Needless to say, i was pretty disappointed, especially with the fact that everyone acted as if it wasn't their problem - right from sales to dealership employees.

Finally had the VW team visit and resolve the brake noise issue - even though the noise hasn't come for 1000 kms, i'm still nervous every time i press brakes at low speeds.

I sometimes hear the humming noise from the fan even when i'm not in the car

I wanted to enjoy the driving experience, but i believe these issues have left a bitter taste. Now i can only look forward to highway driving, as the sounds are too annoying during city commute. Should have waited for other options like the Verna instead of purchasing this high school project of a car - put together and working somehow. The car is always on the verge of going through a new problem.

I hope this comment can save al least one trusting buyer from making this mistake.
I own a Virtus 1.0 TSI AT and observed the noise while intermittently; specially while coming to a halt from slow crawling. Like at a traffic signal or while parking. What was the diagnosis by the VW team on brake noise? Could you let us know about the findings and the fix?
Old 10th July 2023, 19:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

I am just taking delivery of my Virtus GT Edge this weekend. The car already arrived and PDI is completed.

I am going for the standard accessories listed below which come at INR 11999.
  1. Rubber Mat
  2. Mudflaps
  3. Sunblind's for rear passengers
  4. USB Charger with C-type cable
  5. Tissue Box
  6. Pillow

And also the VW Signature Horn which comes at INR 4000 + taxes.

The car came with MRF ECOTRED Tyres from the factory. I was expecting it to be the Goodyear Assurance on the TD vehicle. I generally make sure to upgrade the tyres to better ones right from the showroom and hence check if this MRF ECOTRED is good enough for reasonably fast highway drives in dry and wet conditions.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 14:55   #37

I am planning to purchase a sedan in 20-25 lakhs OTR budget, and just fell in love with Virtus. However, I am concerned about the issues with brake noise and AC.

Quote:
It isn't related with water. I've done 7000 kms, and the sound is permanent. It will never go away.
Is your issue resolved? If so, what was the root cause and how did it get resolved?

Thanks!
Prashant

Last edited by prashantsoni23 : 21st July 2023 at 15:18. Reason: Rephrase and Grammatical correction
Old 26th July 2023, 21:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantsoni23 View Post
I am planning to purchase a sedan in 20-25 lakhs OTR budget, and just fell in love with Virtus. However, I am concerned about the issues with brake noise and AC.

Is your issue resolved? If so, what was the root cause and how did it get resolved?

Thanks!
Prashant
The issue with Brakes and AC could have been a one-off. I personally feel Virtus is probably the best sedan in the price range, especially for the combo of Performance, Ride Handling balance, Safety and Pricing. It feels much better sorted than many of the pseudo SUVs and has great ground clearance too. Cherry on the Cake are the great deals if you persist with the Dealers.
Old 2nd August 2023, 11:00   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I too have started to get a noise when braking, it is inconsistent and comes and goes depending on its mood. It can happen during low speed braking, or sudden high-speed braking also.

VW has checked it but isn't able to tell me what it is, they too tell me that the discs are dirty or due to water/rain. I bought a can of 3M brake clean and that did not help either.

Has your issue been resolved and if so, what was the root cause? It is driving me crazy!!
Old 2nd August 2023, 18:14   #40

It will never get fixed. It starts coming after the brakepads heat up, and you brake gently. Only workaround I have found is i release my foot and press the brakes again. Or I brake a bit harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCraze View Post
I had this similar noise issue in my newly brought City in the month of October. .
It's a standard reply. The truth is, it's a defect which will never be fixed. You have to learn to live with it.

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd August 2023 at 18:24. Reason: Back to Back post merged.
Old 2nd August 2023, 18:36   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantsoni23 View Post

Thanks!
Prashant
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid18 View Post
I own a Virtus 1.0 TSI AT and observed the noise while intermittently; specially while coming to a halt from slow crawling. Like at a traffic signal or while parking. What was the diagnosis by the VW team on brake noise? Could you let us know about the findings and the fix?

It will never go away. It's a design issue
Old 18th August 2023, 17:09   #42
BHPian

Has anyone got window tint done for Virtus? I am getting different quotes in Hyderabad. For 3M CR70 I got the following 3 quotes for all windows, front and back windscreen:

1. 3M store - 40K
2. accessory store 1 - 15.5K
3. accessory store 2 - 34K

Though 1 and 3 are close, 2 is a complete outlier. Any input will be helpful. Also, I'm open any alternative to CR70 as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks