Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2022, 20:54   #1
BHPian

Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review

My Test-Drive & Initial Ownership Report of Zāgros aka Tata Safari XZA+ Dark 6S will have shorter version and longer version of how we reached the Test Drive Stage and eventually ownership.

I would refer to it as an MUV due to the absence of 4x4.

Shorter Version

Was planning to replace my wife's Red Baleno Delta MT 1.2L Petrol, with something in the AT domain.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20190929_165751.jpg

Needless to say, it was a special one for us.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_1966.jpg

During the same duration, the ScorpioN came up with its "Big Daddy" advertisement, and frankly, I did not like it calling itself Big Daddy. What happened to slogans like "Nothing Else will Do"?. That aside the product seemed appealing (at first the sentiment continues to depreciate day by day). Luckily, I got the introductory pricing. This was a Wild Card, not a replacement for the Baleno yet.

It was all fine till now, a ScorpioN Black Z8 4x4 AT ^^^Diesel was booked at the introductory price. The tough decision was between Red & Black. I had Forest green too on my Charts due to my OG upbringing, but it was soon out of the contender list. We don't make our car purchase decisions based on resale value and White is our last choice unless it is accompanied by huge discounts.

Finally, the cars were displayed in showrooms, and then there was a wait for test drives. There was a crazy rush at showrooms. Everyone from budding car enthusiasts to the Insta category was flocking there, which dissuaded me. The staff are least bothered about attending to recipients; ask them a question they will say what they like because they know the majority won't register it anyway and they get away with it.

When it came to test drives, they were least interested. I reached out to them after a prior appointment at 6:30 PM and they said we are closed. I was finally able to get a test drive on a set course, which was another disappointment. You are giving an SUV for a test drive on city roads and expect the customer to gauge it. Plus, the coldness in their attitude was off-putting.

Scorpio-N: Good seating position, but the seat fabric was not to my liking nor was the finish. The colour was definitely a No-No. The ride was comfortable and good. 6S in my category would have been beneficial. The last row split function absence was a little off-putting. Overall, a nice product, but the staff was not warm at all.

I was so disappointed with Mahindra's approach, that I was like, ignore it and once I get the delivery, I will switch to a different dealer. Then came the delivery dates and I was disappointed, but could not say anything to Mahindra. They had simply drafted their wording nicely from a legal standpoint. Ethically, I feel they are not doing good and simply saying silently, "It is purely business, folks!" Don't commit if you cannot deliver.

Anyways, I was willing to wait. In the meantime, I got a good price for the Baleno, which was given a farewell. My wife was inclined to get a smaller vehicle and my calculations were not satisfied with the metrics / features, etc which would be path-breaking over the Baleno (don't peg the Safari just yet).

Our factors were
1. Space (why we picked the Baleno over the Swift back then)
2. Non-Maruti Suzuki (Esteem, SX4, Grand Vitara 2.0 MT CBU). Baleno quality was just sub-par
3. Issue free
4. AT Transmission - No AMT, iMT, etc
5. Justifying its cost (relative measurement, so don't judge)
6. Looks - personal

We started from manufacturer to manufacturer.

1) Hyundai & Kia were first to be ruled out. They always post provocative ads every year about the PoK region and then try to be Dil hai Hindustani in India. That kind of mindset of benefiting from emotions and short foresight does not sit well with me. Plus I am not a fan of their design language after they spoiled the perfect Verna and i20 design 5 years ago.

2) Renault: Duster was the vehicle which made sense in their portfolio, which they did not update as per global generations (probably as no other product was selling in India and Duster was cost-effective part utilisation from other vehicles variation globally).

3) VW & Skoda: Build quality is generally good and at one point I was considering the Rapid too due to its build and AT gearbox, but around the same time, the Polo and Rapid were discontinued. They were replaced by the Slavia, Kushaq and their twins. No offence, but they don't give the same vibe as global VWs or Skodas except for the looks and price. Rest, all seems to be Indianised (pun intended).

They, however, did help me raise the budget bar and once they were touching the Scorpio-N category, I started to see Scorpio-N Z8 from a different perspective.

3) Mahindra: Now, if you would remember, Mahindra had left a sour taste at multiple levels. Also, while Mahindra (dealer / showroom) were showing (silent) arrogance, I could see via my contact at other Mahindra showroom, XUV700 & even Thar stock being unclaimed due to cancellations attributed to long waiting periods. Add to that the unsolved suspension issue (to date) in the XUV700.

To add to this, briefly, the XUV700 did cross my mind, but thanks to the Mahindra experience, it was quickly cancelled. But what it did help me with, was in ruling out 4x4.

So, as things stood, it was Baleno to Scorpio-N to looking for options. Me being me, I was inclined towards SUVs (ones that have 4x4 or even AWD).

The XUV700 AX7 has AWD, but it comes with a fully digital dashboard and ADAS - two things I am not inclined towards. ADAS is a beneficial and useful feature in other, less populated countries with well marked roads and probably, I would have opted for it there, but not in India. However, India is a good testing ground and I feel Indian makers will soon be market leaders in exporting their ADAS instead of using modules provided by other vendors.

4) Jeep: In the Compass, the roof is low for a Turbanator like myself, imagine 3 sitting abreast with that roof. Also, the Fiat / Jeep executives have a different approach they ask you, "Are you going to buy?" even before a TD. It was the same story when I was in the market for a vehicle 3 years ago around the same time.

The Meridian seems to be like the Force Cruiser - an extended rendition of the standard variant. Simply go to photoshop and extend it behind the rear wheel/axle and priced it expensively.

5) Tatas: Went there on a holiday and still, the staff was welcoming. The executive I was in touch with, who had got my lead from the online portal of Tata Group was on leave as most executives are to be compensated for the Navratri rush. Still, they managed to entertain us, provide all the details, and attend to our 3-year-old kid while we were having a look at the vehicle. They arranged a test drive with the magical words, "route of my choice". They asked, "when do you want the vehicle?" I said, "When can you give me. Sharads don't make a difference to me." Deal done. "5 weeks waiting is standard for the Safari", was their response. The rest depends on the variant you want. Then he opened up the unbooked Safari in transit and gave me the picture variant-wise - 5 weeks being the max.

Wife liked the Safari's looks, comfort and simplistic design compared to Scorpio-N. I loved the seats' fabric, recline, slide, ventilated second row, split 3rd row and features of the 6S variant coupled with the Fiat engine compared to a Hyundai Tuscon.

End of short version. Jump to Post 3 if you want to skip the longer version, Goosebumps - novel style.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th December 2022 at 10:28. Reason: Edited for better readability
iskandariya is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 21:45   #2
BHPian

re: Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review

Longer Timeline Version

This variant is like a Boy & Girl in College 4yr degree course duration who meet interact casually over the period of time and then eventually in corporate meet one day and marry each other.

So back when Tata Harrier was launched, my being PetroHead had followed up on it really closely. To this day I wish the Headlamps were also of the H5X concept. The colour and boldness taken by TaMo was inspiring.

Though bringing it only in 2WD that too FWD was heartbreaking. I still remember Being newly married taking my Wife to Chandigarh Club just to see on display Harrier; and my then newly Wed wife being perplexed Grand Vitara is perfectly fine why are we here, just to see the Harrier on display, No Test Drive. I at that time explained the concept of Auto Expo and how as a kid I use to goto AutoExpo in Pragati Maidan, venue now moved to Noida. Attended one there to but the Vibe , the artistic impression of Pragati Maidan just isn't there. It feels more minimalistic in design just halls in a Row, no Journey.

So the Jet design brake was simply adored by me; drawing parallel with the Harrier Jet which one of my elder cousin was a pilot for in the Navy. Front 2 Seats were loved, rear bench not so much, rear scoop down roof meant little practicality (5/7 Seater was not an evaluation criteria back then, I was on GV which itself was a 5 Seater Petrol in a Diesel 7 Seater SUV era).

Then, I continuously poked TaMo over the years over Twitter for a 4x4 variation even if it is on demand. Pratap Bose, reverted once or twice over the gap interval of a year or two that their wasn't a demand for it , which was profitable from the stand point to pursue it.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-screenshot-20221206-10.24.12-pm.png

I was ready for on demand manufacturing the architecture already has provisions for it. But someone was hell bent in removing all RWD/4x4 from TaMo portfolio and make it a FWD Utility Vehicle manufacturer.

Then on distantly observed the journey of Harrier -> BHP Boost -> BS6 and so on so forth. When Safari ( Buzzard, Gravitas ) came I again inquired for AWD / 4x4 variant but to my disappointment.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-screenshot-20221206-10.22.23-pm.png

Moving on to near present, was planning to Sell my Wife's Baleno hence went on to see AT vehicles in 2nd Hand Market , Car Dekho had a beautiful neat and clean typical Chandigarh style maintained Hexa XT. Wife liked it, but still confused as to why we were seeing the Hexa as cause of that moment only I was calculating Baleno MT to AT movement that too in evaluation stage ( which happens a lot with lot of things ). Spacious, awesome Leather seats and you could actually throw its around and Hexa use to handle well. I was assuming it is 4x4 variant but the display didn't bring up the 4x4 icon on changing modes but the listing showed 4x4, later it turns out that this was a flaw in their listing template for Hexa (All Hexa's are listed as AWD Drivetrain).
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-screenshot_20220716181458364_com.android.chrome.jpg

Then drove the Superb, Harrier too but both were not well maintained. Drove another Hexa with them slightly older model but wasn't well maintained again.

So after spending the Sunday , ( my definition of Sunday well spent trying out / driving various cars ) we were back home.

After few months the ScorpioN hype came, coupled with bad tag line. the Sting or something would have been better. Anyways personal choice, their PR Teams Adfactor must have done some research. Got introductory pricing, for Z8 AT Black Diesel; no plans to keep it as of now. Wife was again perplexed and she again iterated we don't need another car.

Meanwhile Pratap Bose had left TaMo for personal reasons and joined MnM. Hope to see RWD/4x4 back in TaMo fold in future.

I did this with the Gurkha Xtreme, Use to get all vehicles to my office to test drive them during lunch break; Isuzu Vcross, Ford Endy, Force Gurkha Xtreme & Xplorer. Gurkha Xtreme was pure love at first test drive, mind you Xtreme not the standard Xplorer. (Vcross and Endy are lust still btw). So now you understand her confusion, coupled with fear. All this while I fully know these are a depreciating asset but then Heart Rules over Head as is the case of most people on Automotive Forums or any Mechanical / DIY Forum for that case.

Meanwhile, TaMo discovered the next best thing to customise your Car option to providing Variants and Variations couple this with Models the permutation and combinations are humongous. I admired their flexibility to provide so many options. It was a departure from their we don't see it profitable Tweet.

So, I pitched to my Wife on the idea of selling the Baleno before it starts demanding Insurance, Shoes, Service. She hesitantly agreed afraid of what follows next. Simultaneously taking assurance that we are not keeping the ScorpioN right ? I use to casually say we will see. Then went on Test Drive and the aesthetics were okayed except the rear. I feel 5th Wheel on the Door would make the Rear look better in case of ScorpioN.

Eventually, I came across a post which mentioned the Dark Safari edition being revamped to provide blacked roof A B C Pillars aka complete black solution. This coupled with the Hexa being fitted with a Panoramic Sunroof blacked headliner Video which I had seen. Hexa 4x4 was still at the back of my mind and had mapped all 4x4 Hexa from North to South and East to West on all websites. Sunroof is a welcomed feature not mandatory but Blacked Headliner is a wow one. I also saw Zullu Fauji Team-Bhp Hexa also got the Sunroof treatment from same workshop.

Coming to the Safari, unlike Harrier Safari's first tryst was during the Test Drive. The Buzz kill tweets and no 4x4 had kept me away from TaMo but once 4x4 was ruled out keeping the Gurkha for all such jobs and activities. Safari was explored. (Details on how we reached to Safari in Shorter timeline version post above).

Remember I did not like the sloping roof design of Harrier Safari had the opposite stepped roof cleverly masked, resulting in ample of space along with theatre seating. 6Seater with Ventilated 2nd row Seats. Plenty of charging points in all rows and cubbys too. Suspension was nice, AIQ welcomed though it rarely has any use in Chandigarh but still something like Step Count good to see.

So it was now either Black ScorpioN or Dark Safari.

Timelines merge beyond this point.

Last edited by iskandariya : 6th December 2022 at 22:45.
iskandariya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 22:07   #3
BHPian

We came home, still thinking whether we are being rational or not called up executives from both Mahindra and Tata, to send the Vehicle over for another look and Test Drive.

Mahindra, ignored and said we do not provide Test Drive at home (nor are you an influencer).

Mind you Mahindra already have my Booking Amount with them on which they are reaping Interest.

TaMo obliged and where at my Door at the said time on the very same Day. Again same story no route preference allowed me to take my preferred route , same with Dad.

I believe Home Test Drive is important as it gives the opportunity to complete family to experience the vehicle at home turf and also see in real world scenario the Vehicle in driveway/parking. Ergonomics of ingress and egress of Vehicle from its resting place to everywhere else.

TaMo seems to have swayed us over thanks to ScorpioN and Jeep. It had a partial digital Odometer/speedometer that too displaying minimal information as needed on the digital aspect with Casting function , Casting the Text only to Speedo digital screen Minimal distraction in my terms. Turns and Maps can be left to the Navigator and DJ performing those duties in Co Driver seat. Speed will be displayed no matter even if the Digital instrument goes blank. Even though I am in IT but basic fundamental absolutes should not be done away with.

Same goes for Mahindra Andrenox, Tata have their IRA and ConnectNext Bluetooth app. IRA has minimal functions and hence to my liking. Though I would prefer eSIM provider and plan both selection option should be provided to owner. Also, hotspot connectivity option should also be given to user if they don't take your subscription it should be the choice of User. (My Opensource ethic speaking )

While ScorpioN and Even XUV700 are Sony Tuned, Safari sound system is JBL and the difference is evident, I am not a audiophilic hence no Audio upgrades or additional damping. Front Camera and Sensor which I felt were needed I explored and discovered solution for both exists.

Eventually Tata Safari XZA+ Dark 6S was booked in Sep'22. Once the Vehicle was allocated to me few weeks later; I ran its VIN and it was Sep'22 manufactured.

I found this method of not keeping Booking amount for long with real time delivery more than satisfactory. I had imagined 6S being less in demand they would allocate me lying inventory but on Demand Manufacturing seems really appealing.

ScorpioN I felt was a product 2years late booked early, given present scenario. Hence it would be already aged by the time it hits majority.

All Views are personal, they mean no offence to anyone.

This concludes Test Drive to Booking Experience. Delivery & Ownership below.
iskandariya is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 22:34   #4
BHPian

The Courtship period begins one of the most sweet phase. Researching Accessories, gadgets, other useful information. ICE Version, ECU updates, ESP updates , etc. What all to be check, PDI Checklists specific to Safari.

Telegram groups came to assistance. Along with few Team-Bhp users who helped me compile @negi15 and few others also.

List of items I ordered from TaMo Dealer Accessories Chap
1) Underbody lights
He was hesitant as they had never ordered it and was in love with them once he had installed them.
2) Kaziranga Tailgate Scuff plate which is listed a Piano Black rear Bumper Garnish
3) Kaziranga mobility Kit which has the Leather Key Cover
4) Front parking Sensors
5) Dashmats Anti skid

External items researched for to be list were
1) Front Camera solution
2) Floor Mats - All Black
3) Wireless Charger, Official one does not come in Dark Edition, and as a spare it cost around 11K
4) Windshield Clips - Present in our Superb; lovely functional thought by Skoda.
5) Dashcams - Front and Rear all my Cars have it even before it became mainstream. i.e. since 2013. Front Dashcam to record my trips & monitor my vehicle when it got serviced.

P.S: Test mules of new Variant / Facelift were spotted. To my relief mostly with ADAS features which I don't want; else will have to have them forcefully in top model and I assume BS6 norms Phase 2 testing or with their upgraded 2.2 dicors / MHawk engine same engine manufacturer for both MnM & Tata, with different starter kit. I prefer the FCA engine in present tune.

Wildest research, can I convert the Safari to 4x4/AWD since it has Tuscon GB.

Last edited by iskandariya : 9th December 2022 at 08:31.
iskandariya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 23:18   #5
BHPian

PDI & Delivery
As Delivery approached, I had strictly reminded them that PDI will be performed by me and only after that will I release the payment.

Once the vehicle was offloaded, We reached and performed the PDI. Both my wife and I had our copies of PDI sheet. I firmly believe Women's eye catches things which men usually ignore ( in all aspect of life).

After 45mins of PDI, we didn't have many points. Few minor Rubber observations, and rest was mostly ok. I had lowered my expectations reading all the posts and reviews, so much so was happy to see both keys of the vehicle.

PdI Checklist followed is attached, credits to original creator; I got it courtsey Telegram Safari group.

I did pair my Mobile and checked the connected device/paired list and then checked it again on Delivery day. Found 2 Devices which were paired, some day probably someday "Me Casa Su Casa" is upon invite only service centres associates will understand.

Sidenote: I also tried to get my hands on ICE code, I might be able to get full screen AA and CP to work on Safari headunit, Auto Scaling needs to be enabled thats it. Presently the resolution for AA and CP on top models i.e. XZ ones is same as lower variant probably because of the code being same, they will need to differentiate the versions or simply enable Autoscaling.

Staff was supportive as usual throughout PDI.

Delivery
On Delivery day we reached on appointed time. Did the paperwork, my Office call came in and I spent my next 3 hours on call with my Laptop in a room provided by the Staff to attend the call. While my Wife tallied the Invoices before making the last payment.

Only discrepancy we found was that in HSRP charges, between the Vahaan SMS received and the amount mentioned on Invoice of around 2K ; which upon inquiry they told were File Charges but they had not mentioned it so, in Invoice. Which I mentioned with PEN on the Invoice before signing and clicked picture of same.

Insurance was self from Tata AIG, with all Add ons and previous 50% NCB transferred.

The Dealer accessory chap was only able to come through with
1) Underbody light
2) Rear Tailgate Kaziranga Scuff plate
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-whatsapp-image-20221011-6.19.49-pm.jpeg
What I found was that the staff was hospitable, but the management and senior manager at the Dealership need to be more proactive in providing correct guidance and percolating that sense.

This was Chandigarh/mohali dealer - PMG we had dealt with them long back when Padmani was there with us.

My executive Abhishek & his manager Uday were superb, but I still feel the dealership owner personal involvement was less.

Abhishek was pursuant and responsive over call and Whatsapp through out.

So after 3.5hrs of Call once I step out everyone is waiting for us and this is on Karwa Chauth Day around 8PM.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img20221014wa0038.jpg
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img20221014wa0028.jpg
We took Delivery and drive to nearest pump in the rush just to notice ABS light remaining on continuously. This wasn't present on PDI day.

Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221013_191306.jpg

I called up Abhishek and he said he will come to my home with the Technician must be a loose Fuse or error code which needs clearing. Then carried on the usual journey, to Gurudwara and home.

Next Day 9am sharp he was at my place, with the Technician, they spent 30mins but issue was not at the Fuse or any Passive Error. This also gave me the opportunity to have a peak at their ECU and other software updater.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221014_112515.jpg

Eventually the Vehicle went back to dealer, and it was identified the Plug under the seat was loosely connected for Airbag and replaced.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tata_Safari - PDI.pdf (84.9 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by iskandariya : 7th December 2022 at 20:39.
iskandariya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 08:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandariya View Post
List of items I ordered from TaMo Dealer Accessories Chap
1) Underbody lights
He was hesitant as they had never ordered it and was in love with them once he had installed them.
2) Kaziranga Tailgate Scuff plate which is listed a Piano Black rear Bumper Garnish
3) Kaziranga mobility Kit which has the Leather Key Cover
4) Front parking Sensors
5) Dashmats Anti skid
Quote:
The Dealer accessory chap was only able to come through with
1) Underbody light
2) Rear Tailgate Kaziranga Scuff plate
So now once you have it, the honeymoon phase begins.
Initial ownership.

First few Days are of taking the Zāgros everywhere possible, slightly tensed as getting use to takes time. After that followed by short Trips to In Laws, and one 24hr round trip to Delhi due to office.

During this Trip Safari gave me a mileage of 23.7kmpl which is quite decent for 400+ kms journey.

Did another trip to In Law and got 23.4kmpl for 200kms+ journey. Overall satisfied with the FE the vehicle is returning.

Meanwhile Safari jet was launched and I was in love with the 6 Seater headrest. Went to Service parts chap they were not having it in their Parts catalogue just yet. Then checked Boodmo, their customer service assured they would provide but sent the Dark std Headrest instead. Had to return them. Their Customer Service is a pain.

After that meanwhile Safari has updated the complete range with revised Headrest for 6S second row; hence now placed the order of Dark Head rest itself.
Name:  Screenshot_20221130101405095_com.android.chrome.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  16.5 KB
Also on my return from Delhi the front bumper brushed with the Cement brick they had placed to mark lanes; to which my Front bumper lower guard brushed. Immediately placed an order of it with the Service centre which now I had identified as Joshi, loved their Service Center layout and staff plus my MSIL Service Advisor now shifted to Tata and he knows how I like my Cars. Hence the advantage of being at home turf again. Due to my Winged Headrest tryst the Service Spare manager also knows me and hence placed my order on call itself. Best part is he runs the parts via me, before ordering and double checks.

Off late Tata has started multi vendor system previous parts like for example complete front guard assembly cost close to 7K while only the Front Guard cover cost only INR1300/- hence my reason for choosing Joshi.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221111_123446.jpg
So part took 7 Days to come in, while I waited for it gobbled up few more kms now standing at 1500kms, it was time for service.

Last edited by iskandariya : 9th December 2022 at 08:32.
iskandariya is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 23:57   #7
BHPian

First Service

I took Delivery from PMG, while my Sales Associate and his manager were smart I felt it lacked manager / Owner direction.

I had visited newly opened Joshi Tata showroom earlier also I found their Accessories incharge - Geeta Ma'am to be polite while the Sales incharge not so much. Though might I add their layout and Model inventory on display is vast at showroom.

Point to note, both Joshi & PMG have handled multiple Brands in past and are also handling multiple at the moment also.
PMG - Renault , Tata , etc in Present in Past they started off from Premier Motors Garage (from Padmani era).
Joshi - Hyundai, Tata, Mercedes, etc.

So I was already hoping management professionalism should be above exceptional; hence strict scrutiny.

Went to check whether following accessories were available with Joshi as I had lost hope with PMG.
1) Front parking Sensors
2) Dashmats Anti skid
3) Scuff Plates - Harrier
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221123_123457.jpg
Got the Front sensor Installed, dashmats anti-skid - purchased: will place post Service. Scuff plates I would be getting them blackened first. To give matching Dark Chrome finish like of Interior Door handles.

To find perfect method to achieve was an interesting journey itself. Evaluated Hydrodipping - which turned out to be a classic fail. Then studied Heating Stainless steel, but temperature needed was too high and scuff plates would have wrapped due to heat and cooling if I was able to attain that temperature. Eventually found out Fabre company which provides Spray solution for stainless steel / nickel plated surfaces which almost all wood Workers use to provide Rose Gold and Gold finish. The company has a wide pallet of colours, connected with them over Whatsapp and got the Solution to be sprayed.

Yet to get it done, will post results and if this works Next would be Tata Logos and Safari Mascot Rear. ( I don't know why Tata provided Rear Safari in chrome on a Dark variant).

My Service check points were as follows
1) Front Lower Crash Guard replacement - Old one was slightly scraped and I didn't like how it looked.
2) First Free Service Points Coverage
3) ESP, ECU, ICE version upgrades
4) Winged 2nd Row Headrest & sunroof variant Dark Side Rooflamps (need to use them as footlamps and the buttons as On/Off // Activator for Front Sensor & Camera while giving OEM look.
5) Black Mascot Rear of Persona variant for Zāgros

My service advisor contact point was Rahul at Joshi Tata. While my vehicle was handed over I insisted on staying at service center. They have a nice Customer lounge, comfortable and warm.

Features in Lounge
1) Comfortable Sofa
2) Snacks Bar and Meal & Muchies service
3) Charging Stations
4) Adequate Reading Material
5) Wifi Internet Connectivity
6) Hospitable Staff periodic Tea Coffee (Sugar/No Sugar) service

Only thing missing was Service bay Visibility the glass was supporting Smoked film. - Quick Fix would be One way Film.

Seeing me on Laptop Customer Relationship executive came over to provide Wifi Password.

Went over to Spare Part Guy - Ravinder Ji, to verify the Rooflamps and other spares which I had ordered. Rooflamps were incorrect - they had ordered the non Sunroof variant ones. Winged Headrest was a clueless affair as their System does not show up the image for Nov'22 manufactured 2nd Row headrest and Part number inquiry to Pune WH sent back present Headrest itself. They have shot up another email now.

While many are trying to get hands on Smaller Ad Blue bottle/containers vs the 21L one which is easily available they have in 2 5 10 Litres Volume bottle/containers also.

Placed request for Continental Fluid refills in advance on behalf of All. So do go and enquire fellow Safari owners.

Checked up on Zāgros from time to time.

Things which I got done and were covered in Service
1) Front bumper Guard was replaced and old neatly placed in the box and provided in the vehicle itself without asking - I intend to get this repaired with carbon-fiber Hydrodip or wrap and keep it as a standby.
2) DEF topped up from 45% to 100% and other top ups

Totalling to INR 2294

Things which are still pending
1) ESP Update - this brings in automatic warnings/hazard lights to turn ON upon immediate breaking. Nov'22 manufactured ones already have it. I asked them to update they said that the Job Card is not reflecting it; else we receive it in the Job Card itself from the Company upon punching the vehicle.
2) ECU Update - this avoid DEF choke which impacts ECU and can cost anywhere from INR 16K to INR 60K. The latest ECU update will not allow you to turn your vehicle ON avoiding the situation of DEF Choke. Nov'22 manufactured ones already have it.
Also ECU update are/were applied to SOUL Drive Safari before they headed to LEH to improve regeneration for DEF. But they were not have surety on this.
3) ICE Update - Better Android Auto and Car Play stability. Will cover this below separately. This also removed Temperature values from the TPMS screen and now only PSI is displayed. For a geek like me Temp impact post driving is like play F1 simulator and seeing wheel heatmap. Guess the overall update is important over Temp value. Nov'22 manufactured ones already have it.
4) Spare part orders

Don't know why the Job Card was not reflecting it. Have asked him to send an inquiry further.

Last edited by iskandariya : 7th December 2022 at 21:23.
iskandariya is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 20:47   #8
BHPian

Things we Wish would be better

All vehicles are built to appeal to a particular segment base and type; but they come close to our requirement list but we do feel somethings always get left out for one or another. No two people will have same dislike / likes. Like for one may / might be dislike for another.

So here is a list of things I feel are missed or could be better and have provided my inference / fix / work around / liveability solution

1) Front Sensors

I felt company could have provided them. As is 2 are being provided at rear 2 at front wouldn't have pinched. Especially if we can put in a 11k unit of Wireless charger which isn't that fast in some models. Front Sensors would have made more sense.

I anyway got the Tata Accessory installed at the First service.

They activate on Brake Press and remain on for few seconds. Do note there is a micro second delay in the beep, but work well to solve the purpose of Parking the Vehicle Correct or taking it out from Tight spots.

2) Front Camera (O)

This is an optional miss, not a fan of Cameras much but I felt for all High hooded vehicles this is a must. Especially if there is a Kid or an animal in the blind spot area. Additionally helps again with park in and out. Though I still feel crude method of without sensor era is Golden.

That being said modern vehicles need some sort of assistance or the world around us needs to become aware of mannerism of Road suddenly.

Which is highly un-likely with NHAI Tolls having Cement Blocks stretching out onto roads before the Toll. (Read above posts).
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221123_123439.jpg

3) Better DEF Filling option.

I understand this was a later addition and accommodations were made, but I hate spill overs while filling. Luckily Service Center chaps were kind and not in a rush hence I got it done without spill.

Guess each service center has its own Jugaad.

My Workaround, get your Vehicle serviced on WeekDays; like a doctor have a single Service Advisor and Service Center so that your beloved gets looked after well. Plus, have one old bedsheet handy with a hole in the center.

4) FootLamp / Ambient

I feel at somepoint they had Ambient Light in Footwells also or atleast they planned but then changed, as the Media of ambient Light in the ICE shows it so.

I keep the roof lights off, I don't like them Lighting up everytime door is opened or key is removed. The idea of ligthing up the faces makes little sense for the world to see. Especially when you are about to arrive to someones place or about to drive off from an event.

Plus the darkness gives the sense of Covertness, footwell ambient light gives the idea of where to place yourself.

I intend to utilise the Rooflamp - Side small ones which are on Safari + Variants as footlamps to solve the problem. Plus will allow me to utilise the switch component of the Lamp.

5) Boot Lamp - Yellow

The Vehicle has all interior lamps of White colour, while the Boot lamp has Yellow Bulb. It sticks out as a Soar Yellow ting in the world of White Light ( i.e. in reference to all interior lights)

Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221210_122256.jpg
Fix for this is simple.

6) Key Not Found

Many people have complained about this, they struggle at times. I came across this only twice when the vehicle was new.

Reason the sensor is having sensitivity for about 6-12inch from the door / handle. My Method - Keep the Key in the pocket same side as the hand you would be using to open the Door.

7) IRA Diagnostics - Does not provide Error Code

If you are providing Diagnostic application, better to provide Error Code also; this goes for all Manufacturers providing Diagnostics in their vehicle applications .

Work Around is you can place your own scanner and Scan in it. I view most things from GPL viewpoint.

8) Still lot of scope to De-chrome

Safari Mascot at the Rear , Dark Badging at the Side , Tata Logo (all 3 locations) & headlamp all can be of similar Blackened Chrome as they have provided inside in Door handles.

Smoked Film will not give same effect for Headlamps, hence alternate is to get additional headlamps casing experiment and when found ok post Blacking swap them.

Rest all the items are easy.

9) Black Color theme for Headunit
I would not mind having an All Black Color scheme for ICE also just to add that last subtle Touch.

I turn the Display Off as is, presently whenever AA is not in use.

10) Add Ons which Dealer doesn't pursue.

I was entitled to Gold Booklet , in addition to SOUL Membership. Been close to 2 Month yet to get update on both the items.

IRA Activation update also had to do a follow up; reason I stated I switched my Dealer. Few things which the Dealers are suppose to do which they don't after receiving the amount.

My Advice keep 10-15K aside till all additional items and associated products are activated/received. I believe you would then get all of them in a Day.

Now following points was me being further more Wishful, nothing else.

11) AWD
Though it makes little sense with the Large wheelbase but then I am wishing for AWD here not 4x4. Atleast SUV bragging rights would have been good.

12) Playback of Route with Statistics in IRA

They are plenty of useful features in IRA which I will discuss in Things we Like. But for now, a basic OBD Scanner application provides Route playback with Acceleration, breaking, Turn info; which helps in improving Driving Score / Eco Score I like to keep both top notch - Skoda Superb got me addicted to this metrics. Map playback was due to RealDash & InfoCar Apps with my OBD which also provides the Driving and Eco Score.

I believe if one is able to comprehend these metrics and drive keeping them in mind, Breaking Acceleration and other factors help in improving our driving and Vehicle life. Again these metrics are for those who want to pay heed to them .

Being from IT Background I know inculcating this functionality is just an update away. Would love this functionality, probably something which will help my kid learn sensible driving when the time comes.

Everyone might not like it especially those claiming fraud insurance claims; but then two sides of the coin right, genuine cases will get expedited disbursement.

The Dashcam would cover this aspect now

13) Spare Full spec Wheel

I have found Suzuki in regards to Hermes aka 2009 GV MT 2.0 Petrol to have proper Spare Wheel i.e. with Alloys; even the Bucephalus aka Sx4 ZXI VVT 1.6L Petrol to have proper Spare Wheel. Though we rarely used them but I have an irk for Cars with evident Spare Wheel as if one leg was malnourished; it reminds me of the time when my Cast (Plaster) was opened post fracture. One leg skinnier than other(s); with Yellow badging of Spare on the Side.

Hence I plan to order an Alloy for the 5th Wheel.

14) How to turn the Radio OFF

I mean when AA is engaged it is off; but at times when nothing is connected and I need peace and quite not able to figure out exactly how to turn the Radio off; I know how to start it once it is off but not the other way round.

Probably I am missing some intuitive input or UX design. I know it remains off till it is not instigated (seriously once ON how to turn OFF; the tantrum is real).

15) Sunshade Mounts seem to be neglected

I felt on observation only that the Quality finish of plastic on the Sunshade mount seemed a step below. a Polish/ liquid wax would bring it to match others.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221207_095604.jpg

Last edited by iskandariya : 11th December 2022 at 21:34.
iskandariya is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 20:54   #9
BHPian

Things yet to Decide an Issue or Just over Observation to find Issues

Reason for stating so is that once you read too much, one tends to forcefully find those things in our own vehicle.

1) Autohold Engaged - Sound at Times

I felt it once when Auto Hold made Grrr Grr (Geerari trying to Fit sound) since then I have tried to replicate it by feathering the brakes slightly to find the border of Auto Hold Engage i.e. the exact inertia and angle to engage it and to replicate it. Yet to achieve it again with perfection; came across it only twice.

As best practice when trying to park and move out of places; I would recommend put Auto Hold off, less stress on H/W and S/W

2) Full Turn Slow speed Resistance

Again since so many times it has been said, I at times felt full turn had slight resistance. But again once or twice.

3) Fuel / DEF Tank Fluid Shift Thump

This probably no one has reported but I drive usually with No Noise or My Playlist. Radios I found them to be of little use like most News Channels and especially after Farmer movement with Zero coverage on FM especially in Punjab; and few repetitive every-greens which they received on good rates; seem to make little sense FM Rainbow is an exception to above rule especially their English Programs (loved them since my Teens).

Back to main point; Upon taking Turns I feel a slight thump is audible of Liquid shifting, I am yet to pin it whether it is DEF or Fuel Tank. Got my DEF topped up during first service and if it still comes either it is the Fuel Tank or something else completely.

4) Headlight Throw

High Beam without Doubt is Perfect for me. So many have reported for XZ variants low beam, I am still divided; Till now it seems okay.

Last edited by iskandariya : 7th December 2022 at 21:25.
iskandariya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 22:21   #10
BHPian

Post 1st Service and Overall Experience So Far

My drives were mainly Highway post service, during which I came across the vehicle loosing feedback on acceleration for a micro second, full depress and re-initiation it was back.

Diagnostic App on IRA only showed a passive Error Code which needs to be checked. Once I came back I took it to service center and they simply said since I am a conservative driver; I need to drive in slight aggressive mode or keep it in lower gear with higher revs for a short duration - probably for regeneration to work properly.

Highlighted to my Advisor to arrange the ESP , ECU updates and check why they are not showing for my vehicle. ECU update would avoid DEF Choke and all such issues.

Also, got my ICE version upgraded and enquired file time and details which they were not aware off. Had asked on the group also if any one has File of Update file kindly share.

Meanwhile the remaining of Tata Accessories also arrived.

Kaziranga Key Cover
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221206_150951.jpgZāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221206_150938.jpg

The Key cover is of High Quality and good stitching; All Service centers should be keeping it with them in Inventory. I was the first to order it at Joshi/PMG.

Kaziranga Multi Tool Kit
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221206_151040.jpg
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221206_151006.jpg

Tool kit is well thought of and has 3 Sharp Edge points too which might not be evident.

I feel Kaziranga Accessories and even Tata Safari accessories are not advertised properly.

Also got the Front and Rear Dashcam installed model: DDPAI Z40 GPS. Few initial Quality checks, detailed coverage on this later.

Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-screenshot_20221206154009260_com.cam.ddpai_overseas.jpgZāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-screenshot_20221206154207778_com.cam.ddpai_overseas.jpgZāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-screenshot_20221206154505862_com.cam.ddpai_overseas.jpg

I placed the Front Module right next to Rain & Light Sensor behind the IVRM to give it that integrated OEM Look when looked from outside. Rear one is in the center top of rear glass. Might 3D Print a cover to hide the Wire. Rear wiring is all internal through and through only time it protrudes is when it connects with the camera.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221210_121801.jpg
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221210_122357.jpgZāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221210_100100.jpg
Interestingly they have provided Black glue Sticker for Rear and for Front Glue sticker color is White, little things matter, i would have prefer the front also to have black sticker so that white square patch which is slightly visible would have also merged.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221209_123855.jpg
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221209_095439.jpg
This is the area occupied by Rear and how it looks in IRVM.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221209_094935.jpg

Yellow/Amber area in timeline is parking mode.

Dashmat Kit

They are present for every possible small cuts in the vehicle something which I loved, simillar to SKoda Superb had to get it. They have provided 3M Sticker underneath to stick it in place, I preferred simply placing them.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221209_095013.jpg
Let me know you need me to cover each section.

Few other minor add ons I did are

Ticket / Fastag / Office Parking Tag Holder
I don't like to have stickers on the vehicle including the windscreens front/rear. I got the Vocal for Local tag which Tata provides for all its vehicles in India removed. Also standard instructions to all Service personal not to paste their Dealer/Service Name Sticker during Service/Delivery. Hence to avoid clutter on the front windscreen got this holder.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221210_121754.jpg
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221210_121728.jpg

Foam Stickers

They come in handy, for a person like me. I used them behind the rear number plate also, to avoid the rattle noise of Plate hitting/vibrating with the Boot lid when closing the Boot.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221210_122235.jpgZāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221210_122327.jpg

Only thing I did not opt for was the Mud Guards, as the throw isn't high nor at front nor at rear and I like the pattern
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221210_122019.jpgZāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221210_122037.jpg

Immediate pending items for now are
1) Scuff Plates - pending blackening treatment
2) Screenguard at ICE Headunit screen
3) My front camera needs to be replaced it has very low resolution, and displays in close to Greyscale
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221124_102746.jpg
I tested the Tata Reverse camera which was crisp; now I need to get a good HD camera to replace my front camera; thankfully the Harness is ok.

Towards my Ending Note to address Plastic cover on Seats Elephant in the room. We have a small kid and till he is getting use to the World in general and Zāgros in it. We are just being precautious.
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221210_122312.jpg

Will keep you posted on the updates.

Last edited by iskandariya : 12th December 2022 at 00:08.
iskandariya is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 10:26   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Gone to our homepage
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 13:00   #12

Re: Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review

Congratulations on the new ride iskandariya! Would definitely agree that few features need to be standard on a vehicle costing about 30 big ones. I have a Oct '22 Harrier Dark Edition. Curious to know if the ECU update should be specifically asked for during the first service ?
deadlifts26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 09:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the car! Thank you for the updates about ECU upgrade - will ask for it during my 3rd service.

Wishing you many happy miles with your car.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 14:03   #14
BHPian

Congratulations on owning the beast @iskandariya !! Its quite comfortable vehicle and loves munching miles. Enjoy it to the fullest with your family. Wish you a very happy ownership.
Please keep posting your experiences.
negi15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 17:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Immediate pending items for now are
2) Screenguard at ICE Headunit screen
3) My front camera needs to be replaced it has very low resolution, and displays in close to Greyscale

Will keep you posted on the updates.
So over the Weekends got time to work on few items.

So I had found a company which provides spray paint for Stainless Steel and others which most of the furniture chaps use, it is hardened and has good finish. Since I was unable to find the Black Scuff plates I thought this was next best possible option and a good DIY weekend opportunity.

So got in touch with the person over Whatsapp informed him the colour made payment, once I got the product. I ordered the Spray gun hence making it a DIY project.

I ended up painting my Gukhra Xtreme RIMs, footrest and Snorkel too.

Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20230202_172706.jpg
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20230202_172715.jpg
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20230202_172728.jpg
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20230304_114304.jpg

Lots of things to De-Chrome after the minor ones planning on headlamps too. The Films doesn’t give the same depth as the headlamp chrome de-chromes and resealed headlamp. Hopefully if Tata bring out Blacked Headlamps in some dark Rendition after the Dark Red got the Black T Logo including on the Horn Pad.

So I had a 4 camera unit lying around for my Gurkha Xtreme (long list of DIY which will see Light of day is unknown) so tested that camera and it worked, well in colour. Eventually, then I got one HD camera from market but it did not display well, later I learned that the plug and play unit which connected to OEM Headunit Canbus is only configured for SD and the HD one needs to be selected via Android HU. Therefore, went back and got the SD variant camera and now it solves the purpose.

Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221216_165846.jpg
Zāgros - Tata Safari XZA+ Dark Edition Review-img_20221216_170021.jpg

Quote:

14) How to turn the Radio OFF

I mean when AA is engaged it is off; but at times when nothing is connected and I need peace and quite not able to figure out exactly how to turn the Radio off; I know how to start it once it is off but not the other way round.

Probably I am missing some intuitive input or UX design. I know it remains off till it is not instigated (seriously once ON how to turn OFF; the tantrum is real).
Also if you remember the above point of irk which I had and even service centre was unable to answer to me.
I found out to Switch Off Audio of media Player / radio / USB I just need to click on the switch off button. It will only Switch off the Headunit Audio, but not other functions, like AC, Air Filter, etc and all those can still be used. SUPER LIKE and the standby screen is a CLOCK. SUPER SUPER LIKE.

So now I have all other functions available via Headunit even when I need peace. Probably a basic function, but I was unable to find how to switch off the Radio.

iskandariya is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks