Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2023, 08:56   #1

My First Car | Tata Punch Review | 10,000 km & 6 months

A few years ago, I didn't feel the need for a car. That was mainly because I didn't have a place to park. However, I moved to a different part of Hyderabad which is quite far from the city. That meant that I now had to travel almost 60 km to visit the city. Not only did it take time, but riding on an Activa was way too tiring, plus the rains were a big deterrent. Further, cabs to anywhere in Hyderabad cost close to Rs 1000 on one side, which is way too expensive. That also hampered us as a family traveling around.

That’s when I thought it was time that I need a car. I did some thorough research, and test drives and eventually got the Tata Punch, my first car. It's the Adventure Rhythm with manual transmission. Our first car was a Maruti 800 DX, followed by the Tata Indigo that we drive for 1,50,000 kms. Both we let go as we moved cities and dad changed jobs. So the Punch came in after a long long gap!

My First Car | Tata Punch Review | 10,000 km & 6 months-tatapunchsocialmaharajfeatured1024x576.jpg

I also wrote two blog posts (~9000 words) sharing my experience of buying a car in India.

Clocking 10,000 kms in 6 months

Jan 26th is when the Punch completed 6 months and it was also when it crossed 10,000 kms! I knew that after I get the car, I'd be driving around. But never thought it would be this much. It has already undergone two free services, and there was nothing major in them. Both were free services and I didn't pay a penny.

In case you're wondering how and where I clocked 10,000, here are some details of my road trips:
All these road trips were to and fro, meaning I drove from Hyderabad and came back too. If you're interested, you can read more about each trip on my blog.

Though this is my first car, I've driven Hexa, Nexon, Tiago (Thanks to Tata Motors for inviting me to experience them), Brezza, Celerio, Sunny and Endeavour.

Having done 10,000 kms, I thought it was the best time to talk about the Punch, and things I like and dislike about it.

My First Car | Tata Punch Review | 10,000 km & 6 months-lucknowhyderabadroadtripfeatured.jpg

Things I Like

Smooth Ride Quality

One of the best things about my Tata Punch is its amazing ride quality. The light steering at low speeds makes it effortless to maneuver in traffic and make quick turns. Plus, the small turning radius makes U-turns a breeze. At higher speeds, the steering becomes rock solid for better control and confidence. At 80-90 kmph, the ride is just fantastic.

The suspension is also perfectly tuned, smoothing out bumps and potholes with ease. Its higher ground clearance than other hatchbacks in the segment gives you peace of mind that you won't hit the bottom. The Punch handles off-roading and rough roads exceptionally well.

My First Car | Tata Punch Review | 10,000 km & 6 months-hyderabadlucknowroadtripfeatured1024x576.jpg

Comfortable Seating

The seats on my Tata Punch are incredibly comfortable. They're shaped for good back support and the under-thigh support is great for long drives without fatigue. The presence of a dead pedal makes it even more relaxing on highways.

I haven't sat in the back seat yet, but my 60+ year-old parents joined me on a road trip to Lucknow and they were amazed by the comfort. The car's height and 90-degree doors make it easy to get in and out, and the inclined seat angle made it comfortable for them. I give full marks for seating and comfort.

My First Car | Tata Punch Review | 10,000 km & 6 months-tatapunchinteriors1024x1024.jpg

Good Mileage

Most of my driving is on the highways. I've seen an average mileage of 21-23 kmpl, based on the car's MID and my own calculations. I mostly drive in Eco mode barring when in cities and leaving highways. My long trips usually get me 22-23 kmpl (over 1000 km), which is very satisfying. My 120 km trip to Hyderabad (including 100 km of highway) gets me 24-25 kmpl. The highest I've gotten is 26.9 kmpl on ORR for a 60 km distance.

I'm not a speed fanatic and rarely go over 100. I like to cruise at 70-80 and don't like to accelerate hard, overtake, or cut lanes. That's just not my style.

Infotainment and AC

The Harman sound system in the Tata Punch is fantastic, especially when using music apps like Spotify. The thump at volume 9 is impressive and the equalizer is great for fine-tuning the audio.

The call quality during calls is also great, with the other person not even realizing you're in the car. The air conditioner is also a highlight, being quick and powerful with a cooled cabin in just 5 minutes at full speed and low-temperature setting.

These were a few things I absolutely like about my Punch. However, there are a few things that surely can be improved or should have been better.

Things I Dislike

Lacks Punch At Higher Speeds

The Tata Punch has decent power at lower speeds but lacks acceleration at higher speeds and RPMs. Driving it in the city mode is fine, but when you reach speeds around 80-90 kmph in 5th gear, you'll notice a lack of power. Overtaking at this speed requires downshifting to 4th gear for extra power.
My First Car | Tata Punch Review | 10,000 km & 6 months-underthebonnettatapunchsocialmaharaj1024x576.jpg

Adding a turbocharger may have improved performance, but it would have also increased the price. If you're a conservative driver who prioritizes comfort, the Punch may suit your needs. However, if you want a car with the race-like performance and quick overtaking abilities, the Punch may not be the right fit. Ultimately, the best way to know is to try it out yourself with a test drive

Average Braking

The Punch provides a confident driving experience at high speeds due to its steering, suspension, and visibility, but its brakes are a letdown. Despite being a heavy vehicle, the brakes are soft and result in a longer stopping distance.

There have been instances where it took longer to come to a stop, causing a scare on the highways, especially in MP & UP where there are cow-meetings happening on the highways!

My First Car | Tata Punch Review | 10,000 km & 6 months-tatapunchnagarjunasagar1024x576.jpg

Noisy Cabin

Despite having some insulation under the hood, the Punch still allows engine noise to enter the cabin. When shifting gears to 4th or 5th, the revving engine can be heard inside. The engine's pickups also make some noise at times.

The noise level is reduced when the AC is turned on and music is playing, but it's still noticeable. Although the vibrations have been reduced, the cabin can still get quite noisy. You can try to not notice it, but it just gets your attention at times.

Poor Finish/Paint Job

Lastly, the poor fit and finish of the Tata Punch is a major drawback. The large panel gaps easily collect dust, leading to dirty door panels, boot, and bonnet. After long drives, it's noticeable how much dust has accumulated in these gaps.

The overall finish is subpar, with poorly cut and misaligned metal sheets and fiber components detracting from the look and feel of the car. Some areas have a white waxy substance that is difficult to remove.

The paint job is also below average. After parking the car in the sun, minor ghost lines were noticed on the bonnet.

Here's To Another 10,000 kms!

In conclusion, after driving the Tata Punch for 10,000 km, I have found it to be a car that offers a great blend of comfort and performance. The Harman sound system is simply amazing and so is the call quality. The air conditioner is also quick and powerful, making it easy to have a chilled cabin in under 5 minutes. The seating is comfortable for long trips with good back and under-thigh support, also the dead pedal makes it a breeze.

However, the Punch does have some limitations when it comes to performance. At higher speeds and revs, the car lacks power and you can feel it when in 5th gear and higher speeds. The brakes also could have been better and the cabin can be noisy. The fit and finish of the car also leaves much to be desired, with huge panel gaps that accumulate dust and poor paint jobs.

In conclusion, if you're a conservative, comfort driver, the Tata Punch may be a great choice. However, if you're looking for a car that can perform like a race car and quickly overtake at higher speeds, I don't know if you'll like it.
Ultimately, it's best to do a test drive and experience it for yourself.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd February 2023 at 10:26. Reason: Taking live, thanks
techmaharaj is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My First Car | Tata Punch Review | 10,000 km & 6 months

Thanks for sharing! You've succinctly covered all the important points in your pros & cons. I love the Punch for its deadly styling, cabin, suspension tune, 5-star safety and the Harman ICE. My bone with this car is the lack of a turbo option and proper AT (no AMTs for me).

Congrats! Will add your thread to our homepage in the coming days.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 20:46   #3

Very nicely written !
For my height (6'2") i thought the under thigh support was a bit lacking but the car was very spacious overall with good visibility from the front windshield.

By the way that 60 km distance from Hyderabad has me guessing that you might be near Shadnagar or thereabouts
Old 18th February 2023, 20:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

That was a nice review of your punch. Congrats on the purchase!

Coincidentally, I have booked the same variant in the same colour today as a replacement of my 2021 celerio for dad. Its being said that I will be getting the RDE BS6.2 update of the Punch. Adventure Rhythm is the most VFM variant in Punch line up. I was looking at Accomplished Dazzle, but then the 16 inch tyres did remind me of the stiff low speed ride of my altroz . 15 inch wheels will have much better ride quality and the effective difference in OTR was 1 lakh rupees.

Wishing you many more thousands of safe, happy kilometers on your Punch!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th February 2023 at 20:29.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 14:24   #5
BANNED

Great review. I am planning for Punch AMT. Have spoken with some tuners and they say that stage 1 remap will increase the power by 6 HP, torque by 10 Nm. Also improved driveability.
Old 20th March 2023, 17:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmaharaj View Post

Comfortable Seating

The seats on my Tata Punch are incredibly comfortable. They're shaped for good back support and the under-thigh support is great for long drives without fatigue. The presence of a dead pedal makes it even more relaxing on highways.

I haven't sat in the back seat yet, but my 60+ year-old parents joined me on a road trip to Lucknow and they were amazed by the comfort. The car's height and 90-degree doors make it easy to get in and out, and the inclined seat angle made it comfortable for them. I give full marks for seating and comfort.

Attachment 2414137
Hi, thanks for the review.
Is your aux port working. Website shows there is aux port, but in mine there is a plastic covering like shown in your pic over it, which seems like a dummy port. (Sorry if its a dumb question, but I'm total newbiew with cars. Also there vehicle manual is same for all variants, which is very confusing for first time customers regarding which features work and which don't.)
My First Car | Tata Punch Review | 10,000 km & 6 months-punch.png
Old 20th March 2023, 20:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritesh_44 View Post
Hi, thanks for the review.
Is your aux port working. Website shows there is aux port, but in mine there is a plastic covering like shown in your pic over it, which seems like a dummy port. (Sorry if its a dumb question, but I'm total newbiew with cars. Also there vehicle manual is same for all variants, which is very confusing for first time customers regarding which features work and which don't.)
Attachment 2431228
No there's no Aux port. There's only a USB port that is used to connect with Android Auto and Apple Car Play.
techmaharaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 19:57   #8

First of all Congratulations on your new Car!

My question is to the broader community as well as I am planning to sell off my 2018 Maruti Desire (18,000 km ODO) and planning to purchase a city first highway second mini SUV in the on-road price range of 8-10 Lakhs on the road.
Petrol is preferable, CNG I am still not convinced that cylinder in the boot with family and the refueling station's long queues near my location strike them off the list

Reason: I already received delivery of the XUV700 Manual in 2022 which is a gem to drive but my wife is a new driver who needs a city-friendly option for office commute.
My existing Maruti Desire is a good sedan that has served its purpose with better boot space for all our hometown trips with big-size boot space.
Its responsibility has been taken over by the mammoth booth size of XUV700 for our family as well.

It's time to move on from Suzuki to a newer easy-to-drive smaller car for home-to-office commute in the city. I have driven Suzuki for the past 15 years and the 2023 generation of cars are not meeting my fit and finish expectations the way they used to be built a few years back commanding too much waiting period.

I have test driven all current hatchbacks like Ignis (not suitable for a 6-footer like me)
The Fronx is raised Baleno which already was discarded when I purchased Dezire back in 2018 and gadgets and gizmos don't impress me much. A basic infotainment system is ok for me.

We don't want to opt for Brezza or Toyota Urban Cruiser as there is already XUV700 in Garage

I have the following criteria as a priority
Safety>> Better low-cost Service>> Easy to Drive Manual Powertrain

My wife is not comfortable with Automatic as she wants to get used to
driving and then becoming my co-driver on long road trips in XUV700 Manual gradually

I checked Dzire's online listing on car portals and 2018 models of approx 20k run are fetching good resale of approx 5 to 6 Lakhs.

My question is whether to wait with the current Dezire and wait for a newer variant of Tata Punch slated to launch by the end of 2023 or early 2024

My list contains the following cars

Ford Figo was our first car and Ford left India so no option

Honda Jazz mind-blowing of a vehicle but discontinued

Punch: Being a mini SUV can become a better learning platform for my wife to gradually move towards driving a bigger XUV700
(Roadblock: One of my friend an Altroz owner are complaining about Tata AfterSales and Spare Parts Issues) How is your experience with Punch?

Hyundai Exter: Main Concern Safety Rating and the platform
For spare parts and maintenance costs, any Hyundai Owner can share their inputs.

Mahindra: Is Mahindra launching any mini SUVs in early 2024? I can wait for some time for the same

Electrics are a no for the time being as sometimes we travel in the outskirts of western Maharashtra or Kerala having a hell of load shedding as well as network issues that hampers EV charging. This is a practical problem I encountered while driving a leading electric SUV of my friend from interior Konkan towards South Goa. Finding the nearest charging stations was a pain and the charging station in case there is load shedding takes its gala time to reboot and network issues of the mobile phone added salt to the injury for the app not working properly.

I will appreciate your input to make a proper decision.
Old 20th August 2023, 20:09   #9
BHPian

If you are looking for a mini SUV, the Punch make a perfect choice. The Exter is more of a i10 nios with a boxy design and raised suspension.
The Punch has stiffer suspension and is rugged and rough. You also get a commanding view like an SUV.
It's also quite compact like a swift.
The 2023 update version is already launched along with the cng model and no further updates are planned for short term. Only the electric version is expected.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks