Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2023, 23:43   #1
BHPian

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230516_211859.jpg

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230427_221357.jpg

Life was going smoothly, and there were no plans to buy a car. We are basically a two-car garage family, and I primarily used a 2013 Hyundai Elantra SX AT(P). The Elantra had always served me well, but after crossing the 100,000-kilometer mark, it started to become a financial burden in terms of maintenance. Surprisingly, some of the spare parts for the Elantra were even more expensive than those for equivalent German cars like the Skoda Octavia or Volkswagen Jetta. With a heavy heart, I decided to part ways with the Elantra and find a suitable replacement. I sold it when it reached 125,000 kilometers on the odometer.

I considered various options for the new car, but there was one car that stood out among the rest: the Skoda Octavia. There were several reasons why I was drawn to this car:

1) The Octavia became a cult car when it was first released back in 2001. It introduced the concept of being "built like a tank" in the Indian car scene, and many enthusiasts, especially those in their 30s to 40s, have always dreamed of owning one. Even today, you can find well-maintained MK1 Octavias that are cherished by car enthusiasts. It's a car that could potentially be displayed in a museum once ICE vehicles become obsolete.

2) The 2.0 TSI engine and DSG gearbox combination is a match made in heaven. It's a well-known fact that this pairing offers exceptional performance, and there are very few cars under 60 lakhs that can match the Octavia's power. The EA888 Evo 3 motor delivers 190 bhp and 320 Nm of torque, while the DQ 381 7-speed DSG transmission ensures smooth and exhilarating drives, especially after a long day at work.

3) Unlike SUVs or crossovers, sedans/saloons like the Octavia provide a superior blend of looks, finesse, and handling. The joy of taking corners with a smile on your face is something that only a sedan can deliver. Considering We already had a 2020 Tucson in our garage, adding another crossover seemed excessive.

4) There were rumours that the Octavia would be discontinued due to strict emission norms and its low sales figures. As a result, this felt like a final opportunity to own one.

With these factors in mind, I embarked on the car-buying journey. Initially, I considered buying a used Octavia vRS variant, as it is a sought-after car that tends to appreciate in value over time. However, the prices in the used car market were astonishingly high, with 2018 and later models being sold for over 30 lakhs, even though their launch price in 2017 was 25 lakhs. Paying such a hefty amount for a used Skoda, which would no longer be under warranty, didn't make sense to me. Therefore, I decided to explore the new car route.

Fortunately, a close friend helped me connect with a dealer who had a 2022 December make white L&K variant available, which was exactly what I wanted. With the help of my friend's acquaintance, I managed to secure a hefty discount on the purchase. The only catch was that the dealer was located in Himachal Pradesh, and I had to drive the new vehicle all the way to Assam. I scheduled the purchase date to coincide with the Team-BHP Assam meetup https://https://www.team-bhp.com/for...ml#post5503985, making it a convenient journey to bring the car home.

Octy in Agra-Lucknow expressway. First of many Highway drives to come
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230223_235841.jpg

The mileage which i got in the entire Himachal to Lucknow trip
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230224_021314.jpg

Tucson welcomes the new member of the family
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230509_202131.jpg

Since the purchase, I have covered around 9,000 kilometers with the Octavia, allowing me to experience its pros and cons.

Pros:
1) Exceptionally capable engine and gearbox combination, delivering impressive performance.
2) Surprisingly practical ground clearance, despite the numbers on paper suggesting otherwise.
3) Spacious cabin, comfortably accommodating four passengers.
4) Impeccable German-like build quality evident in every aspect of the vehicle.
5) Excellent headlamps, especially in the L&K variant, providing enhanced visibility during nighttime highway drives.

Cons:

1) Lack of a sunroof, which may be a downside for those seeking an open-air driving experience.
2) Occasional cost-cutting measures noticed in certain areas, which will be discussed further.
3) Ergonomic issues with the control stalks designed for a left-hand drive vehicle, potentially causing discomfort for some drivers.
4) Firm ride quality at low speeds, despite maintaining the recommended tire pressure of 33 PSI as suggested by BHPians.

Driving Experience

When starting the car, the initial cold start idle sits at around 1.2k RPM. As the engine heats up, it takes about a minute for the RPM to settle below 900. I noticed that the engine tends to be slightly louder compared to other large naturally aspirated petrol engines, and there is a slight vibration felt in the steering wheel. However, these characteristics are not deal-breakers and can be easily adapted to. Bhpian ChiranjitP rightly points out that TSI engines are generally not as silent as other engines.

To engage the drive mode, simply shift the gear shifter to 'D' and disengage the electric parking brake (EPB). It's worth noting that if you start pressing the accelerator pedal with the EPB engaged, the EPB automatically disengages without the need for manual intervention.

One convenient feature is the auto-hold function. With this function enabled, when you switch off the ignition, the gear shifter automatically shifts to 'P' and the EPB engages automatically. This is a clever shift-by-wire function that our Tucson's gear selector does not offer.

In terms of drivability, the car exhibits two distinct characters. If driven sedately, the engine keeps the revs under 1.5k RPM, and the gear shifts occur below 1.6k RPM. However, when you floor the pedal, the car truly comes alive, pushing you back into the seat, especially in S mode.

While the car performs admirably on highways, it tends to struggle in start-stop city traffic when driven below 30 km/h. The gearbox, specifically the DQ381 unit, can become confused in such situations. The Octavia prefers a more spirited driving style, and you can observe this in the real-time mileage, which may drop to around 5 km/l in slow city traffic conditions.

During gear shifts, it's worth noting that the gearbox is not as silent as a torque converter gearbox. I often hear a very mild "click" sound coming from the engine bay during gear shifts.

Thanks to the presence of four disc brakes, the braking performance of the car is sharp and inspires confidence, especially at higher speeds. However, the frequent use of sharp braking may lead to faster wear of the brake pads in the octavia.

Ride Quality

The fourth-generation Octavia features an improved independent suspension setup for all four wheels, unlike its predecessor, which had a torsion beam at the rear (except for the 1.8 TSI variant, which had independent rear suspension).

While the Mk 4 Octavia has a relatively softer suspension setup compared to the Mk 3, it still offers a composed and comfortable ride. It has significantly improved over the Mk 3 Octavia and provides a more pleasant experience in regular usage due to comparatively less firmer ride. Unlike the Elantra, the Octavia doesn't float around and maintains its composure even when going over rumble strips at high speeds.

The car's handling is a delight, especially when taking sharp corners. Thanks to the limited slip differential and advanced traction control, understeer is well controlled, resulting in a confident driving experience.

However, at slower speeds, the ride can still feel slightly firmer, and driving over a series of medium-sized speed breakers can cause some cabin movement. Despite maintaining the recommended tire pressure of 33 PSI for all four tires (against the recommended 39 PSI), the firmness is still noticeable.

In terms of ground clearance, the Octavia measures 137mm when unladen and 107mm under a laden condition. Surprisingly, even with these measurements, the car does not scrape its underbelly on large speed breakers, unlike the Elantra (which had a ground clearance of 154mm).

Handling

The steering wheel in the Octavia is not only pleasant to hold, but it also boasts top-notch quality. However, it's worth noting that the two-spoke design may not appeal to everyone's aesthetic preferences. Aside from the cruise control buttons, it also features controls for customizing the MID (Multi-Information Display) and managing the audio system.

The electrically assisted steering, which is common in cars within this price range, is well calibrated for both city and highway driving scenarios. In city driving, the steering feels extremely light, requiring just a single finger to maneuver. With a turning radius of 5.2 meters, the Octavia can easily navigate through the tightest of gaps. Despite its longer and wider dimensions compared to the Elantra, I find it much easier to park the Octavia in tight spots, possibly due to the improved reverse camera and the presence of 360° parking sensors. Although, I do wish it had a 360° camera as well.

On the highway, the steering weight increases with speed, instilling a sense of confidence when changing lanes and taking fast corners in sharp curves. The Octavia's handling capability will undoubtedly bring a smile to your face as you navigate through corners. The presence of steering-mounted paddle shifters enhances the overall driving experience. Whether you prefer a relaxed drive or want to unleash the full potential of the engine, the steering-mounted paddle shifters give you the flexibility to tailor your driving style to your preferences.

Engine performance

As mentioned earlier, the Octavia is equipped with a powerful 2.0 TSi Evo 3 engine that generates an impressive output of 190bhp and 320Nm of torque. This potent engine is paired with a lightning-fast 7-speed DQ 381 DSG gearbox, ensuring seamless and swift gear shifts. When it comes to power, the Octavia leaves no room for disappointment. Simply press the pedal down, and the car effortlessly accelerates, making overtaking maneuvers a breeze. It's worth noting that the engine produces a sporty note, though it's worth mentioning that the redline limit at 6,000 rpm may feel slightly conservative,(probably due to strict emission norms ??) and the engine doesn't let you fully experience the sporty sound beyond that point.

When driven with a more relaxed and moderate approach, this engine showcases an impressive fuel efficiency as well. I have personally observed the MID (Multi-Information Display) indicating a mileage of 21kmpl for a 100-kilometer journey while maintaining a steady speed of 80kmph with cruise control engaged. However, it's worth mentioning that this engine's inherent nature and performance capabilities may tempt you to tap into its full potential, resulting in enthusiastic revving and a more spirited driving experience. As a result, driving sedately and solely focusing on fuel efficiency can be a challenging task, as the engine urges you to unleash its true power and enjoy the thrilling performance it offers.

Trust me, you can get such mileage with this motor
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230319_150232.jpg

Last edited by LONG_TOURER : 29th May 2023 at 23:44.
LONG_TOURER is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 07:57   #2
BHPian

Re: My Last ICE Vehcle, The Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSi. Realizing a Childhood Dream

Exterior

The Octavia follows Skoda's design philosophy of understated elegance, rather than flashy and attention-seeking styling. It may go unnoticed by casual observers due to its close resemblance to its younger sibling, the Skoda Slavia. However, enthusiasts will quickly recognize its distinctive features, such as the split-type LED daytime running lights (DRLs) at the front. Moving to the side, the crease line starts from the bonnet and extends all the way to the tail lamps, adding a sense of dynamism to the car's profile. The L&K trim level further enhances the premium appearance with the addition of chrome accents on the front bumper. Personally, I opted to remove the chrome elements as I prefer a more sporty and aggressive look. If you prefer a car that doesn't attract too much attention but still exudes an air of sophistication, the Octavia is an ideal choice.

The front of the car is very impossing, I have painted the grill into black to give it an aggressive lookSkoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-3.jpg

The side of car has composed stance and looks like a proper sedan with three box layout
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-4.jpg

The rear of the car looks neat again with subtle chrome, the Tail lamps are all LED units and has a dynamic turn indicators. Yes, there are proper reverse lamps on both side of the tail lamps
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-5.jpg

This photo was taken in TBHP Kolkata meetup at Jamshepur
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-6.jpg

Proper aggressive stance after dechroming
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230522_222113.jpg

Right after Dechroming and Cermaic coating. The work was neatly done by excellerate motors, Kolkata and i am quite satsfied with their services. The roof is wrapped in black.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230523_204353.jpg

The puddle lamps enhance safety and add a touch of sophistication to the Octavia's exterior.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230528_204850.jpg

Interior

Stepping inside the Octavia's cabin, you'll be greeted by a subtle yet stylish gesture—a glowing 'Skoda' logo that welcomes you as you open the front doors at night. As you settle into the interior, you'll immediately notice the excellent quality materials used throughout the cabin, giving you a sense of being in a car that belongs few segment above. Adding to the premium ambiance are the ambient lighting strips that run across the front dashboard and front doors, creating a pleasing visual effect. However, it's worth noting that the ambient lighting is limited to the front seats, as the rear passenger doors no longer feature this feature, which was present in the previous model. Nevertheless, the available colors for the ambient lighting can be configured through the infotainment cluster, allowing for personalized customization. In terms of build quality, all the touch points in the front are soft and exhibit a high level of craftsmanship. So far, I haven't noticed any rattles or vibrations from the vehicle, which can be a common occurrence in some other car brands after a few hundred kilometers of driving. (No offense intended towards other brands)

The red ambient lighting makes the interior very sporty
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-7.jpg

You are welcomed by the 'Skoda' logo when opening the front doors. This could have been provided in the rear too.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-8.jpg

The lower portion of the ambient lights turns into white when the doors are opened. This happens in the rear as well. Simply clever job done by skoda. Notice the aluminium pedals in the L&K variant. Looks very sporty.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-9.jpg

The window control buttons are white irrespective of ambient light colour. It is worth noting that all the windows are equipped with auto up/down feature and has anti pinch feature. Notice the ORVM heating button. Unforunately, the two rear electric child lock button in the 2021 model was replaced with one single window lock button in the 2022. Such bad cost cutting !
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-10.jpg

The dual tonne ambient lighting system
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230402_182718.jpg

Headlamps

The Skoda Octavia L&K is equipped with an Automatic Frontlight System (AFS), which intelligently adjusts the intensity of the headlights based on the prevailing traffic conditions. The headlights themselves are LED matrix units that offer exceptional illumination during nighttime driving. Additionally, the headlights feature an auto-leveling function, ensuring that the beam remains correctly aligned. While the auto high beam assist feature is not activated from the factory in India, the LED headlights are dynamic and adjust their direction according to the steering angle, providing enhanced visibility while navigating corners and curves.

The Day time running lamp in action. You no longer get the Headlamp washer in the Mk4 variant which is a bummer.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230528_143641.jpg

With the parking lamp on, just look at the attention to detail !
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230313_191229.jpg

The low-beam in action
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230510_203601.jpg

The Virtual Cockpit in the Skoda Octavia lacks clear indication of headlamp status, which can be inconvenient. The previous rotary dials have been replaced with three buttons, which some may find less appealing compared to the traditional rotary knobs. These design choices could be seen as missed opportunities or areas for improvement in the overall user experience.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230414_230132.jpg

Low beam in action. Notice that there is no indication in the virtual cockpit if the low beam lamps are on.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230409_183614.jpg

High Beam in action
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230409_183540.jpg

Last edited by LONG_TOURER : 29th May 2023 at 22:55.
LONG_TOURER is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 21:08   #3
BHPian

Re: My Last ICE Vehicle, The Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSi. Realizing a Childhood Dream

Cabin Space

The cabin of the Skoda Octavia offers generous space, allowing four passengers to comfortably travel long distances without experiencing any discomfort. However, due to the large transmission tunnel running through the center of the car, the presence of a fifth passenger may be less accommodating. One notable feature is the exceptionally spacious 600-liter boot, which easily accommodates a month's worth of luggage. Furthermore, by folding down the rear seats, the available cargo space expands to a whopping 1555 liters. The shift-by-wire gear selector creates additional space in the center console, providing convenient storage options for personal belongings. Additionally, all four doors are designed to hold large 1-liter bottles, ensuring easy access to beverages during the journey.

The doors open wide enough for easy ingress and also features umbrella holders in them. Skoda is following its umbrella tradition in the Mk4 Octavia as well. You dont get the Canton branding on the speaker. The front seats are 12 way electrically adjustable with memory function & lumbar and offers great flexibility to adjust to your desired driving position
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-4.jpg

The octavia no longer gets the LED warning lamp on the door, it just gets a red reflector. Cost cutting !!
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-5.jpg

Fully electric 12 way adjustabile passenger seat will keep your spouse happy but dont take her out on a summer afternoon as the seats do not have ventilation
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-15.jpg

The door trims gets a combination of beige and black treatment and thankfully, the lower portion is black. Otherwise it would have been very difficult to maintain the trims.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-3.jpg

The same cant be said about the armrest though. They are made of beige and will need frequent cleaning. The arm rest is adjustable for reach as well as height. One potential inconvenience with the armrest is that it may not serve its primary purpose as a resting place for your arm while driving. This is because you need to use your left arm to operate the "pass" and "indicator" functions on the left stalk of the steering column. As a result, the armrest may not be readily available for arm support during certain driving maneuvers.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-12.jpg

The rear arm rest gets two cup holders. Notice the privacy blind on the window line.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-10.jpg

Privacy blind at the rear windshield too. This blind offers privacy and helps to block out excess sunlight, reducing the heat entering the cabin and improving comfort for both the rear passengers and the driver. This feature allows for a more enjoyable driving experience, particularly during scorching hot weather conditions.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-8.jpg

Boot can be accessed via the 2nd row seats by folding the arm rest further towards the driver.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-11.jpg

The "shift by wire" gear selector in the Skoda Octavia Mk4 creates extra space in the center console. This sleek and intelligent design not only looks cool but also maximizes the usability of the console.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-16.jpg

Felt lined door bottle holders on all the four doors ensures that there isnt any rattling noise from stored bottles.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-14.jpg

You get ISO Fix child seat mounts for all the three passenger seats inlcuding one in the front
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-9.jpg

The ORVMs are tad smaller in size. I had tough time getting used to them after accustomed to huge ORVMs of the Tucson and Elantra. The RHS ORVM gets Heating and auto dimming function too !
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-13.jpg

Cost cutting : The left side ORVM does not feature either Auto dimming/ Heating fucntion where the previous generation used to have. Frankly this cannot be expected from skoda to miss out on such an important feature. Thankfully the mirror do get auto tilting functionality while reversing. One more point noting is both the mirrors gets synced with the seat memory function.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-1.jpg

The IRVM gets a dedicated type C port for Dashcam. Now installing dashcam has become easier. My 70mai pro plus+ dash cam works just fine with this type C port.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-2.jpg

The rear occupants gets two type C port as well. These ports charges phone much faster than ordinary ports.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-6.jpg

Sadly the rear door trims no longer gets amibient light strips
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-7.jpg

Air-Conditioner performance

Contrary to the rumors about ineffective cooling in newly made VAG cars, the air conditioning system in the Skoda Octavia performs exceptionally well. It maintains efficient cooling even in scorching temperatures of 40+ degrees Celsius. However, it is worth noting that the placement of the center AC vents may be slightly lower than expected, which could affect the distribution of airflow. In comparison, the Elantra has an advantage in the cooling department and provides a slightly better cooling performance.

Infotainment system/ Virtual cockpit

The Skoda Octavia is equipped with a 10.25-inch Virtual cockpit display and a 10.25-inch Head Unit (HU). The quality of both displays is excellent and comparable to modern smartphones.

unfortunately, the MK4 Octavia in India no longer includes the in-built navigation feature in the virtual cockpit. As a result, the display is unable to show maps directly. This change may come as a disappointment, particularly for those who enjoyed the convenience of having integrated navigation in the previous Octavia model. However, it's worth noting that alternative navigation options such as Android Auto and CarPlay can still provide turn-by-turn directions on the virtual cockpit when connected to a compatible device.

The Octavia provides three distinct trip meters: "Since Start," "Since Last Refuel," and "Long Term Trip Meter." It's worth noting that while these options are available, the virtual cockpit, unfortunately, only displays the "Since Start" trip meter. To access the other trip meters, you'll need to refer to the Head Unit (HU) display. Additionally, it's important to have the vehicle engine turned on to view the trip status, as the display remains empty when the engine is off.

The Octavia offers an abundance of USB Type-C ports, ensuring that you have plenty of options for charging your devices. Moreover, the inclusion of a dedicated USB port for connecting a dashcam is a convenient feature. This eliminates the need for lengthy wires or additional adapters, simplifying the setup process. Additionally, the presence of a 12V power socket in the boot provides further utility. This socket can be used to power various devices such as a tyre inflator or car vacuum cleaner, enhancing the versatility of the vehicle.

The virtual cockpit layout is very crips and quality of the display is top-notch. It is easily readable during night as well as day. I am not fond of digital display and always prefer analogue displays. But this dual pod layout makes it more than acceptable to me. Unfortunately, this only shows one trip meter.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230224_021314.jpg

The other simple and less complex layout. This one displays only speed and no trip meters. Keeps you away from OCD of monitoring the vehicle's mileage all the time.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230528_141816.jpg

The Skoda Octavia Mk4 features a helpful ECO tips feature displayed on the virtual cockpit. These tips provide guidance on driving habits that can help improve fuel efficiency and reduce environmental impact. For example, if the vehicle is idling for too long, an ECO tip may appear to encourage turning off the engine to conserve fuel. Similarly, driving at high speeds with windows open can increase drag and reduce efficiency, prompting another ECO tip. These reminders serve as a reminder to drive in a more eco-friendly manner, promoting fuel efficiency and sustainability. This feature showcases Skoda's commitment to being "simply clever" and adds a nice touch to the Octavia's virtual cockpit experience.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230507_201225.jpg

Various Menu icons on the Head Unit (HU)
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230528_214547.jpg

You can toggle between various trip meters on the Head Unit (HU) but not in the virtual cockpit. . I got used to using touchscreen for changing air conditioner temperature. There is also a dedicated buttons (shortcut buttons) to display required menu like AC etc.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230325_202657.jpg

Dedicated buttons to display various menu on the head unit. AC can be operated with ease IMO
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230528_143801.jpg

The guidelines for reverse camera are dynamic in nature. The quality of camera is acceptable.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230528_220927.jpg

Wheel and Tyres

The Octavia L&K variant features Pulsur aero design alloys, which may not be appealing to everyone's taste. However, personally, I have grown to find the design acceptable. The issue lies not with the alloy wheels themselves, but rather with the process of changing the wheels. Unlike Hyundai, the Octavia uses lug bolts instead of lug nuts, which can make it a more cumbersome task to change a tire with the spare. This difference in design can make the process more time-consuming and potentially more challenging. Notice the lug bolt caps in wheels. These are made of plastic and requires to be removed with a clip provided to access the lug bolts.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230528_142509.jpg

The Octavia comes equipped with Goodyear Assurance tires in the size of 205/55/R17. However, based on my experience, I have encountered issues with the durability and performance of these tires. Specifically, I had a side wall rupture beyond repair just on the second day of purchase while going over small expansion gap on bridge approach. I recommend changing the tires to a better brand if you are traveling extensively on highways. I know few BHPians have changed the tyres to michelling 245/50/R17 but i dont think it is the right choice to reduce the side wall of already low profiled tyre. I shall be changing the tyres to Continental CS6 of the same size soon.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-img_20230528_142506.jpg

Safety

The Skoda Octavia is equipped with a comprehensive range of safety features, contributing to its impressive 5-star Euro NCAP rating in 2021. These safety features include:
  1. Airbags: The Octavia is equipped with eight airbags strategically placed throughout the vehicle, providing protection for the driver and passengers in the event of a collision.
  2. ABS (Anti-lock Braking System): The ABS helps prevent the wheels from locking up during emergency braking situations, allowing the driver to maintain steering control.
  3. EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution): EBD works in conjunction with the ABS to distribute braking force evenly among all wheels, optimizing braking performance and stability.
  4. Limited Slip Differential: The limited slip differential enhances the vehicle's traction by transferring power to the wheels with the most grip, improving stability and control, especially during cornering or on slippery surfaces.
  5. Automatic Emergency maneuver Braking: The Octavia features an automatic emergency braking system that detects potential collisions in speed under 15kmph and applies the brakes automatically if the driver fails to respond in time.
  6. Multi-Collision Braking System: In the event of a collision, the multi-collision braking system automatically initiates braking to reduce the risk of secondary collisions and further damage.
  7. Automatic Headlamps: The Octavia is equipped with automatic headlamps that activate in low-light conditions, ensuring optimal visibility for the driver and enhancing safety on the road.
  8. Auto Unlock in the Event of a Crash: To assist with emergency response and passenger safety, the Octavia's doors automatically unlock in the event of a crash, enabling easier and faster access to the vehicle.
These are just some of the many safety features incorporated in the Skoda Octavia to prioritize passenger safety and minimize the risk of accidents. Skoda has put significant effort into ensuring that the Octavia provides a safe driving experience for its occupants.

Verdict

When comparing the Skoda Octavia and the Hyundai Tucson 2.0 CRDi, both cars have their own strengths and considerations to keep in mind based on my extensive highway driving experience in Assam, West Bengal, and Odisha.

If you prioritize excellent mileage and enjoy highway driving, the Octavia is an excellent choice. It excels as a highway cruiser, allowing you to cover long distances comfortably and efficiently. However, it's worth noting that as a sedan, the Octavia may not handle bad roads as effectively as an SUV like the Tucson. Therefore, if you frequently encounter rough or uneven road conditions, it's important to exercise caution while driving the Octavia.

On the other hand, the Hyundai Tucson offers superior performance on bad roads due to its SUV nature. The Tucson's 2.0 CRDi engine provides ample power, and the well-tuned 8-speed gearbox ensures smooth and responsive gear shifts. If you anticipate driving on challenging road conditions or frequently encounter rough terrains, the Tucson would be the better choice.

It's crucial to consider your specific requirements and driving conditions when deciding between the Octavia and Tucson. If you prioritize performance and primarily drive on well-maintained roads, the Octavia would suit your needs perfectly. However, if you require a vehicle that can handle rough roads and offers a more versatile driving experience with good fuel efficient and a diesel engine, the Tucson would be the more suitable option overall.

Last edited by LONG_TOURER : 29th May 2023 at 23:50.
LONG_TOURER is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 05:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 08:53   #5
BHPian

re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream

The Octavia already such a beautiful car and you made it look even better by dechroming. On the road it will definitely attract a second look.

Would love to see more of your Octavia in the travelogue section!
Siddy_1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 10:18   #6
BHPian

Really lovely to see the de-chroming and blackened-out bits on the car

One thing which I wanted to check is how you manage to get these real-time mileage figures on your speedometer while all other owners in the MK4 Octavia A8 thread are still trying to figure out the same!!!

Great thread, would love to hear more from you
rahul1407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 10:28   #7
BHPian

What a lovely piece of automotive art Rishi. The limited time i spent with it only one thing comes to my mind 'white lightning '.
Wishing you many lacs of miles of bliss.
Yogi..Reeturaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 10:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG_TOURER View Post
Cabin Space

The cabin of the S.
There's nothing like an Octavia!

When I buy my next car, Octavia would definitely be one of the cars I'll consider.

Wishing you millions of happy miles with this one!
KharbandaKartik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 11:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Cabin Space
It's crucial to consider your specific requirements and driving conditions when deciding between the Octavia and Tucson. If you prioritize performance and primarily drive on well-maintained roads, the Octavia would suit your needs perfectly. However, if you require a vehicle that can handle rough roads and offers a more versatile driving experience with good fuel efficient and a diesel engine, the Tucson would be the more suitable option overall.
Congrats on your purchase and a great insight too on your purchase decision.

Did you consider 2023 Tucson? How would you pitch it against Octy?
Highflyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 11:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul1407 View Post
Really lovely to see the de-chroming and blackened-out bits on the car

One thing which I wanted to check is how you manage to get these real-time mileage figures on your speedometer while all other owners in the MK4 Octavia A8 thread are still trying to figure out the same!!!

Great thread, would love to hear more from you
This layout is available only in recent cars. Mine is manf in Nov21 and all I see in the center of the console is speed in big font. I am hoping Skoda would make this layout available to older MK4/A8 cars through an update.

Quote:
Cabin Space
Very well written thread LONG_TOURER . Octavia has always been a beautiful car through generations and the A8 takes it to whole new level . Loved the de-chrome bits and in fact I am also planning to get it done along with gun metal color for alloys (Mine is Style) and yellow callipers

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th May 2023 at 11:24. Reason: back to back posts merged
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 12:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream

Lovely account and exceptional pictures to bring out the essence

I am intrigued to see that your hud displays the driving stats nicely in the centre (which in my 'first edition' Gen 4 car is filled up with the digital speedometer read out) - Could this be through a software update that this layout is enabled?

P.S. An ask from the service center next time will be to explore activation of the new screen layouts
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream-pxl_20220819_033018554.jpg  

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 30th May 2023 at 12:36.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 13:02   #12
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream

Quite an extensive initial ownership report Long_tourer. Loved it. Still remember spotting the HL beams through the tea gardens of Ramsai at midnight.
Long ownership reports from longer tours are awaited.
Hope this car appreciates in value like the OG Octavia VRS.
Prakritij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 14:31   #13
BHPian

Re: My Last ICE Vehcle, The Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSi. Realizing a Childhood Dream

This photo was taken in TBHP Kolkata meetup at Jamshepur
Attachment 2456933

Wow! Didn't know that the Kolkata meetup took place in Jamshedpur. I would have loved to join. I should follow the Kolkata group thread to be updated.
ashish2135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 22:23   #14
BHPian

Quite a detailed write-up Long_Tourer. Loved going through it. Hope you keep on munching miles with your new acquisition and I hope to experience this beauty soon.
SamitMukherjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 06:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up. Congratulations and you are lucky enough to have secured one. From my experience of owing Octavia from 7 years, these cars indeed age really well. And the best part is, any generations of Octavia with subtle mods looks much better than other cars on the road, benefits of European design. And once you start mods, there is no end. Enjoy your drive.
sunikkat is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks