Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2023, 16:33   #16
BHPian

re: After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan

Congratulations on buying yourself a great soft roader SUV. Great choice. Nice colour too.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 17:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I received the vehicle on Ganpati day, Tuesday, the 19th
Many Congratulations! Coincidently I was in the showroom when you were taking delivery and signing the paperwork. Cheers and happy motoring!
Newtown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 20:10   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on a wonderful car!
Wish you lot of happy miles!
Thank you for the detailed & crisp report; loved it

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
1. Take extra care of those seats. VAG seats are especially prone to collecting bluish colour from denims.
2. Buy skins or cases for your key fobs.
Slightly OT: Any suggestions on how the seats are to be maintained would be helpful.
Likewise, any pointers for good skins online? Online shopping is so difficult these days with subpar products though the pictures in the listing shows something great.
Thanks.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 23:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, personally the best choice for that money and segment. Glad you did not go for Compass or Tucson, as it would have been a compromise. Wish you many miles of safe driving.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 00:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on buying an all-time great car (one that elicits the most longing looks); also most difficult to upgrade from

Enjoyed the model wise account, simple, crisp and relatable.
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 09:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan

The Tiguan got done with PPF treatment.

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-img_1393.jpg

I decided to pick Llumar Platinum over the other competing brands. It comes with Ceramic coating baked in as per the detailer. Provided is a 10y warranty period for this specific Paint Protection film.

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-img_1396.jpg

I'm not sure if it comes across through the compressed pictures posted here but I feel the cars Blue is now uniformly a shade darker compared to the original colour.

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-img_1399.jpg

I wasn't aware this happens after PPF but apparently it does. After speaking to a couple of people as well as looking it up. It's minor but noticeable enough for me. Something about Gloss finish/Light refract.

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-img_1402.jpg

Other than that, the worksmanship itself was fantastic and I would gladly refer this person to anyone in Bombay who requires such a service.

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-img_1409.jpg

The Tail light and Headlight are only PPF'd on the direct back and front facing panels not around the sides. I couldn't tell the difference till I ran my fingers across to feel the border.

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-img_1407.jpg

The cheaper Garware with similar properties was available for ~1L and came with 5y warranty period. While Garware is a known brand I personally felt that they are relatively new to the PPF game, and their longer term PPF wear is an unknown so I decided to go for a more experienced make and pay the premium associated. The final cost for Llumar Platinum was 1.4L for the ~230 odd Sq.Ft. that is the Tiguan.

I have also applied Llumar Stratos 70 Sunfilm across the front Windshield after being recommended it for the heat rejection and clearer night driving. I drove from Bombay to Karjat and back at night and I can confirm the glare reduction is apparent. The sunfilm is not noticeable from the outside whatsoever. The detailer did not recommend the sunfilm for the four windows as they come from factory with tint. The cost was 10k for the Stratos windshield sunfilm. I am now considering doing the Panoramic roof with the same 70 grade LLumar film as well.
Maky is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 10:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Congratulations on a wonderful car!
Wish you lot of happy miles!
Thank you for the detailed & crisp report; loved it

Slightly OT: Any suggestions on how the seats are to be maintained would be helpful.
Likewise, any pointers for good skins online? Online shopping is so difficult these days with subpar products though the pictures in the listing shows something great.
Thanks.
Congrats on the new car.Regarding the seats, what i follow is wiping the seat with a damp microfiber with some seat cleaner sprayed on it and then wiping it dry with another dry microfiber cloth.Its working on my tiguan.
charan23 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 14:54   #23
adv
BHPian

Maky, the new Tiguan is a lovely looking car and especially in this shade of blue!
I was wondering whether this petrol engine is paired with the problematic DQ380 dry clutch gearbox that have plagued many VW group cars or does this come with the wet clutch DQ 381 (or some other?)
Did it impact your purchase decision or thought process?

Last edited by adv : 26th September 2023 at 14:57.
adv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 16:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv View Post
Maky, the new Tiguan is a lovely looking car and especially in this shade of blue!
I was wondering whether this petrol engine is paired with the problematic DQ380 dry clutch gearbox that have plagued many VW group cars or does this come with the wet clutch DQ 381 (or some other?)
The 2.0L TSI engine comes mated the wet clutch DQ-381 unit in the Tiguan, Octavia, Superb and Kodiaq as far as I know.

Reliability concerns of german cars, DSG or otherwise, were definitely part of the decision process. My understanding is that the issues were mainly with the dry DQ200 units, which themselves seem more settled after seeing not a singular failure from the 'India 2.0' cars.
Regardless, I accounted for the cost of as much as Two out of warranty DQ-381 failures for the life of ownership of this vehicle before going ahead.
Maky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 16:33   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv View Post
The DQ381 is not a dry clutch DSG. It's a wet clutch DSG. The only dry clutch DSG is the DQ200 here in India

The 381 is essentially a 380 with minor improvements and AWD capability added. It's a modular gearbox since it can serve all cars which produce 250+ Nm torque while also being AWD capable wherever needed. Hence, its standard now with the 2.0 TFSI range for VW/Skoda atleast.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th October 2023 at 16:26. Reason: As requested.
vishy76 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 11:27   #26

Congratulations, it’s a lovely car with a beautiful colour.
It’s money well spent, the best all around package for 40 lacs. I’ve been enjoying my car since 1.5 years now.

I got the claddings painted and it definitely makes the car look better.

Cheers

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-img_6015.jpeg

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-img_6016.jpeg

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-img_6019.jpeg

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-img_6022.jpeg

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-img_6012.jpeg
Tanay24 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 20:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanay24 View Post
Congratulations, it’s a lovely car with a beautiful colour.
It’s money well spent, the best all around package for 40 lacs. I’ve been enjoying my car since 1.5 years now.
Thanks Tanay. I like your choice of colour ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanay24 View Post
I got the claddings painted and it definitely makes the car look better.
Could you tell me how you went about painting the claddings? my VW sales person said they offered it initially from dealer level but then some issues with the paint ageing on the black cladding and they stopped as a result.
Old 9th October 2023, 10:08   #28
BHPian

Congrats, Maky on finally making the Tiguan purchase. That's a beautiful color too.

Wish you many happy miles
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 11:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Could you tell me how you went about painting the claddings?
Maky, no offense to Tanay24 but I would avoid.

Firstly, I personally like the contrasting look it provides. Secondly (if I understand correctly), VW needs to remove the cladding and paint them separately before fitting them back; I would avoid this in a brand new vehicle.

Really a stunner. congratulations if I haven't offered it already!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 13:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Sharing the list of accessories I got for my new Tiguan. I did not add this in the original thread post as one of the items was on back order and just arrived the other day.
For my accessories choices I picked only those accessories to get from the dealer that I either couldn't get an exact perfect fit for my Car from outside or I simply couldn't procure from third party at all.

Tiguan specific Car Cover

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-car-cover-1.jpg After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-car-cover-2.jpg

For this I chose to get them from VW themselves to get an exact fit. First time I ever got a car cover, my car usually sits in my garage but due to renovation work the garage wouldn't be available for a few months, so went with these for the time being.

Magnetic Sunblinds for the Rear windows and Quarter panel

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-sun-blind-1.jpg After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-sun-blind-2.jpg

For similar reasons I got them from VW officially to get a perfect fit. Would like to mention that for the door sunblind, the bottom does not have a metal surface to latch onto so they do wave around a bit when opening and closing the door.

The 'Sporty' Pedal caps

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-sporty-pedal-1.jpg

This I am most pleased with. The cosmetic looks aside, It is brushed stainless steel and genuinely feels like I have better hold with my foot on them compared to the stock ones.

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-sporty-pedal-2.jpg After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-sporty-pedal-3.jpg

Worth mentioning, all official VW accessories seem to be imported from Germany directly. Not a hint of localisation for this CKD even here.

Loading sill for the dickie

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-loading-sill-1.jpg

Another VW official accessory. The product seems to be a very very thin sheet of aluminium. In the accessory description they mention 'Stainless steel look', very cleverly worded and placed so at first glance one might think It's a full Stainless Steel accessory.

Tiguan Door sill

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-door-sill.jpg

This was a mistake. I thought I was buying the illuminated sill you see placed above. Turns out the car comes from factory with it. The one I got was completely unnecessary... labelled 'Tiguan', placed below and is not illuminated.

The 'Dynamic' hubcaps

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-dynamic-hub-caps-1.jpg After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-dynamic-hub-caps-2.jpg

A bit of an indulgence this . The logo will stay upright whether the wheels are in rotation or stationary.

The '7D' floor mats

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-7d-mats-1.jpg After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-7d-mats-2.jpg

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-7d-mats-3.jpg

People advised against this as It's difficult to maintain but I liked design and pattern so I went with it. Picked a Black with Black piping, you can choose lighter Beige or Brown tones with piping colour of your choice as I recall.
This was some 7.8k and I got this done from outside.

Jump starter and portable Tyre Inflator.

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-jump-starter-tyre-inflator.jpg

The above products were purchased from Amazon.
-For the jump starter you simply hook up the Positive and Negative terminals to your dead battery and press the Start/Stop button as usual to jump start the vehicle. It also doubles up as a Power Bank for your phone with the provided type-C on the side.
-The Michelin tyre Inflator is the best choice among a sea of generic chinese copies with uncertain lifespans. Very reasonable at some 3.5k in cost.

Carlinkit 5.0, a Wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto adapter

After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-wireless-carplay.jpg After 11 long years, we finally brought home a new car | Volkswagen Tiguan-wireless-carplay-2.jpg

After watching numerous YouTube reviews and a week of heavy usage I can recommend this to anyone with a factory stock Wired Carplay/Android Auto looking to free themselves from the wire and forced charging heating & degrading your phones battery. The phone connects in 15-20 seconds after starting the car, did not loose connection through some ~3 hour long highway runs, phone does not heat up. Only negative I can think of is forward and reverse track is some 1.5-2 second delay from when you press the button on your steering to then the track being changed. As in the picture you can tell it's very small, so stealthy enough to be stowed away below the dash where the Type-C's are provided. The cost was 6k.

I think with this I've covered all things that I wanted to cover for my new Volkswagen Tiguan. I will update this thread with long term usage as the time comes.
Thanks for reading : )
Maky is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks