Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2024, 19:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful

1000 up

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240110_114715020.jpg

In a plot twist dictated by the weather gods - read no snow, the S-Presso has taken the reins in Jammu and Kashmir, outshining the Jimny. While the Jimny reigns supreme in the realm of snow-covered terrains and challenging off-road adventures, the S-Presso emerges as the everyday champion, ready for any task.

Do not be deceived by mere ground clearance and power figures; the S-Presso is no lightweight. It matches, and often surpasses, the capabilities of soft SUVs like the Mahindra XUV or Hyundai Creta on rugged roads. Its compact size and truncated overhangs provide an unmatched agility—a worker bee tirelessly buzzing through tasks, as brilliantly articulated by @shankar.balan.

The tiny gear knob, a charming throwback, snugly fits in your palm, reminiscent of classic jeeps. The gearbox operates with the smoothness of butter, and the clutch demands minimal effort, even in the chaos of bumper-to-bumper traffic.

While the gear slots lack the mechanical thump, the manual transmission remains the undisputed choice for rural roads. The soft clutch, effortless gear shifts, and a sense of control make it the preferred option, especially when the road demands finesse. In icy conditions, second gear and clutch finesse become your allies, showcasing the importance of a manual gearbox in such scenarios.

However, a perplexing issue arises: the dwindling emphasis on fog lamps. In a car tailored for tier B and rural areas, fog lamps are not an indulgence but a necessity. Incorporating spaces for fog lamps, coupled with high-quality accessories akin to those on the Jimny, could have been a game-changer.

The order of the day is a genuine maruti accessory boot mat—a game-changer when transporting rural essentails like sacks. The surprisingly capacious boot effortlessly swallows four duffel bags. Next on the agenda: carrying my bicycles, an experiment that promises interesting outcomes.

The S-Presso is the Goldilocks of cars—just right for two, manageable for four, and accommodating five only in emergencies. Loading it up with passengers doesn't faze it, showcasing consistent traction and engine performance.

For highway cruising at around 80, the stock 165 profile tires are more than sufficient. Kudos to the Continental CC6 tires for their whisper-quiet performance, a marked improvement over the stock MRF tires.

Winter brings its own set of grievances: the absence of a rear defogger and wiper. These are not optional but crucial safety features. Meanwhile, the inside rearview mirror (IRVM) is undergoing an upgrade tomorrow.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240110_114130430.jpg

Headlights have undergone a Philips halogen transformation—a modest improvement but not quite reaching the desired level. Contemplations are underway for a bolder move with a 100W (50x2) LED setup for that extra oomph.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240110_114846322.jpg

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240110_114951428.jpg

Now, let's talk fuel economy—an absolute star, averaging between 22 to 23 kmpl over the last thousand kilometers. After the first service, hitting the ARAI-specified 24-25 kmpl? Consider it done. Credit to my sedate driving style, but the S-Presso's ability to stretch a tank of fuel is nothing short of remarkable.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240110_114808007.jpg
Longest drive yet 300+ km

Seats, a mixed bag of comfort. I prefer them firm for those marathon drives, and the S-Presso seats held up for a good 200 (4/5 hours) kilometers before needing a break. Standard fare for budget hatchbacks.

Radio tuning is a delight with that elongated antenna. AIR on FM or AM, the S-Presso delivers. Android Auto's temperament depends on your phone model. Pixels and iPhones revel in seamless performance, but glitches may surface with Redmi and Samsung phones.

Here's to a thousand kilometers of quirks, surprises, and a whole lot of S-Presso adventures. A toast to the little car that not only can but excels! 🚗
antihero is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 15:23   #17
BHPian

Wonderful write-up for the Espresso. Still hard to believe it can be driven so effectively in the hills. You've shown the way.

I've been to Patnitop and it was all snow there in the month of February. I wonder how you will manage during snow
SidTheChamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 23:22   #18
BHPian

Believe me S presso and for that matter any small car is far more capable in snowy hilly terrain. Small lighter cars are at performance advantage compared to bigger heavier cars and that is why small cars are ubiquitous in mountains.
Earlier, I have driven ecosport diesel/ ford fusion diesel for 13 years and during that time i have taken it to ladakh, spiti, kinnaur etc. At high altitude/steep inclines, loss of power/ loss of traction was common. Steep inclines can only be executed with momentum.
Last year when i took my s presso to chitkul, it was all snow there. Where other bigger diesel cars were struggling big time, s presso was running circles around them.
First time in my life i was so relaxed while driving in such terrains.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 09:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
The everyday champion, ready for any task.
This should've been Maruti's tagline for the S-Presso

Quote:
- In icy conditions, second gear and clutch finesse become your allies, showcasing the importance of a manual gearbox in such scenarios.
- In a car tailored for tier B and rural areas, fog lamps are not an indulgence but a necessity. Incorporating spaces for fog lamps, coupled with high-quality accessories akin to those on the Jimny, could have been a game-changer.
- Winter brings its own set of grievances: the absence of a rear defogger and wiper. These are not optional but crucial safety features.
- Agree, even on some tricky rural/under-construction roads.
- Absolutely. I was very surprised that Maruti of all decided to remove them. There is already space for it, why not let there be an outlet ?
- Again, Same level of surprise as the fog lamps. These are not things one can retrofit as an accessory.
I guess even Maruti's decision makers now think that a touchscreen with Android Auto and Apple Carplay is more important than foglamps or rear wipers/defogger.
It's not done Maruti.

Quote:
Headlights have undergone a Philips halogen transformation—a modest improvement but not quite reaching the desired level.
Do you see a difference in intensity or its a matter of perception due to to the change in colour temperature ?
Is it worth the price over the stock halogens ?

Quote:
A toast to the little car that not only can but excels! ��
A toast indeed or rather a shot of espresso

Have fun.

Last edited by shancz : 14th January 2024 at 09:33. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 17:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheChamp View Post

I've been to Patnitop and it was all snow there in the month of February. I wonder how you will manage during snow
Hence I still retain the old MG410W and the Jimny. While FWD hatches can cope with sprinkling of snow. But having a 4WD is important for safety. A 2wd in snow is a hazard to others but also to one's passengers. A 4WD is a safety priority for me and my passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Believe me S presso and for that matter any small car is far more capable in snowy hilly terrain. Small lighter cars are at performance advantage compared to bigger heavier cars and that is why small cars are ubiquitous in mountains.
Comlletely agree with you as a mountain dweller. The Alto twins are the choice for everyday runabouts simply due to their fuss free nature and their great power to weight ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Do you see a difference in intensity or its a matter of perception due to to the change in colour temperature ?
Is it worth the price over the stock halogens ?
Having driven to jammu 110km with these lights I can say that they are better. Not by the claimed 200% as it says on the pack, but a more realistic 30%. Can't comment on the longitivity yet.
In my book anything that makes me safer on the road is worth it. So the 1800 bucks for these halogens is a worthy upgrade. Though in retrospect I would rather get LEDs if more of my driving was the highway or the city. Fortunately this car will be more of s local runabout

Exciting update! The S-Presso now proudly sports fresh HP plates, potentially turning me into less of a target at police and RTO checkposts. The previous routine of being flagged down, questioned about sale letters, and directed to "Saab" might now become a thing of the past. The temporary number plate, inconveniently stuck on the windshield front and rear due to showroom constraints, often led to these encounters. Sahib would inspect my papers, and the staff, intrigued by the roominess of the car, would take a seat, sometimes even accommodating a 6'3" cop with his cap in the back.

The 1000-service checkup was a mere formality, as all consumables were in top shape, and no unwelcome rattles or squeaks made an appearance. I diligently stamped my user manual and stapled the service record, a practice I uphold for all my cars. Not only does it make warranty claims smoother, but it also keeps all the records neatly in one place.

Now, for the impressive part—I achieved an average of 32.3 kmpl (as indicated by the MID) on the NH with two passengers and some light but bulky items in the boot. Maintaining a steady 75 km/h for the 110 km journey back to Jammu for plates and the checkup, the downhill route presented the best-case scenario. The real test awaits on the uphill journey back, where I'll be alone. Stay tuned for the next mileage revelation!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240113_0835504892.jpg  

antihero is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 15:03   #21
BHPian

3500 up.

This week, the Spresso and I embarked on an epic journey to Gurgaon and back, braving 700 kilometers each way. With a mission to retrieve household essentials—15 boxes plus bags, and a massive 43-inch TV—we set out on our adventure.

The early start at 3 AM ensured we hit the Delhi border by 2 PM. However, our progress was hampered by a 40-minute traffic snarl at the border and a 20-minute delay due to construction near Punjabi Bagh on Ring Road.

The NH44 proved to be a dream road, especially in the early morning hours. Thanks to recent rain and snow, fog was minimal, except for a brief patch near Dasuya. Cruising at a steady 75-79 km/h, with just one pit stop for food, I found myself in a comfortable rhythm, allowing faster vehicles to zoom past in the second-right lane. The speed limit on this highway is 90 km/h, and I encountered a traffic checkpoint near Karnal, but the S-Presso effortlessly glided through.

Yet, every journey has its bumps—literally.
  • The seat padding left much to be desired, given its sketchy low density padding. It is not the most vomfortoble place for the long haul.
  • Moreover, the car's higher ground clearance gave it a somewhat bouncy ride, reminiscent of a pogo stick. With every bump at 80km translating to a few up and down motion before the Spresso suspension recentered itself.
However, these minor inconveniences aside, the trip was surprisingly comfortable for a budget hatchback. The lifeline of Android Auto kept me connected and guided through Delhi's labyrinth of roads.

The return journey mirrored the outbound one, albeit with a slightly later start at 5 AM. By 6 PM, after covering over 750 kilometres, I was back in J&K, surrounded by a cargo of household items. With cardboard boxes and bags filling every available space—trunk, rear seats, and even the front passenger seat—the trusty TV held its place securely. Though not heavy, the delicate items were bulkier due to careful packaging.

Looking ahead, I anticipate upgrading the car's suspension kit after clocking a few more thousand kilometers. While my search for options online has yielded little, I am hoping for some inputs from you - the reader.

In total, the journey spanned 38 hours, covering a distance of 1550 kilometres. Despite traffic snarls and city driving in Gurgaon, the Spresso maintained an impressive average fuel economy of 26-27 km/l, dipping slightly due to urban congestion. On the plains, cruising at a constant 70 km/h yielded an average of 28-29 km/l, while a leisurely 60 km/h on the highway pushed the efficiency up to 33 km/l. The boxy front design may divide opinions, but it undeniably impacts aerodynamics and fuel efficiency.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240211_085738224.jpg  

Last edited by antihero : 11th February 2024 at 15:06.
antihero is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 23:10   #22

�� The song you are playing reflects your opinion of the seat padding perfectly.
Priyesh Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 19:57   #23
BHPian

Snow season here in the Himalayas finally, so the s-presso is getting some much deserved rest while the jimny takes over the daily drive duties.
The s-presso can easily handle a few inches of snow but the road to the estate is a steep climb that needs 4wd in the snow.

Updates will be slow this month. For now the s-presso's been polished and detailed and parked. It's fun watching water (sleet and snow) bead off, thanks to turtle ice application. I dedinitely recommend it.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240221_0319368172.jpg  

antihero is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 20:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

So now you'll get to enjoy the other end of the spectrum.
4WD, analog instruments and very different FE numbers.

Have fun
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 11:33   #25
BHPian

So, lately, with the late winter lingering, my trusty Jimny has been getting quite the workout. But now that the weather's warming up again, it's time to awaken the S-Presso from its hibernation.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240424_0411230062.jpg

For the past couple of months, I've been steering clear of toll roads and opting for the scenic route along the B roads instead. You know, those narrow lanes with no divider? Yeah, those. Turns out, they're much friendlier to the S-Presso's modest speed and compact size compared to the fast-paced chaos of toll roads. My cruising speed on these B roads usually hovers around 75-80kmph, with the occasional burst up to a hundred for overtaking. It's at this sweet spot that the S-Presso feels most at ease, I reckon.

And let me tell you, spending more time navigating city streets has really highlighted the S-Presso's strengths as a nifty little urban runabout. The auto stop-start feature has been a godsend at traffic lights, saving me some fuel and hassle. But I gotta say, it's not exactly a champ in bumper-to-bumper traffic, where you're inching along at a snail's pace. Overall, though, I'm pretty impressed with how this pint-sized car handles the urban jungle.

Just hit the 5000+ km milestone and got the S-Presso in for its second inspection. The good news? Still cruising along with zero maintenance costs. Gotta love that about this little car.
Now, Maruti up in Himachal did tempt me with a few packets of wiper washer fluid. But honestly, after giving it a whirl, I'm not exactly singing its praises. Call me old-fashioned, but I reckon sticking to good ol' liquid pH neutral soap might be the smarter move. Plus, it's probably easier on the wallet too.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240424_041525479.jpg

Well, let me tell you about my last adventure behind the wheel. I hit a bit of a low point in terms of mileage - clocked in at a "disappointing" 22.3 KMPL for a 200 km journey over 5 hours. Ouch, right?
Here's the kicker: I got caught smack dab in the middle of a highway traffic jam from hell. Picture this: me, stuck in bumper-to-bumper chaos, AC cranked to a measly 2 setting, inching along in stop-and-crawl mode for a solid half-hour. Yeah, not exactly the recipe for fuel efficiency greatness, I reckon. But hey, sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches, right? At least I had some good tunes to keep me company while I waited for the traffic gods to smile upon me again.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-untitled-design.png

Alright, buckle up, folks, 'cause here comes my updated list of grievances with the S-Presso:
  1. Let's talk about those rubber seals around the doors. Sure, they're decently supple, but when it comes to quality, they're not exactly top-tier. If you're like me and love giving your car a good pressure wash, heed this warning: crack those doors open and give those sills and insides a thorough clean. Trust me, hard water and rust? They're practically best buds.
  2. Suspension gripes, anyone? Yep, still dealing with that slightly bouncy, pogo stick-like feel. I'm on the prowl for some stiffer springs and shocks to give this ride a bit more stability.
  3. Now, don't even get me started on the phone storage tray in the centre console. Could it BE any smaller? Seriously though, I could do with a tad more space there. On the bright side, though, those door bottle holders? Absolute lifesavers, especially on those sweltering summer drives. And hey, contrary to what the YouTube reviewers might say, they'll snugly hold a good ol' litre bottle without breaking a sweat.
antihero is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks