Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2023, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful

There's plain cheap and there's cheap and cheerful. S-Presso had me confused between the two.

Just to give you some context - I've got an old MG410 whose papers will expire in 2024, and a shiny new Jimny as a replacement. I'm living up where the snow blankets everything for a solid two months each year. Toss in my gigs as a cyclist and an outdoor gear reviewer, and it's clear that 4WD is more than just a luxury; it's a necessity. But, let's face it, the Jimny isn't flawless - no car is. So, enter the S-Presso, the little guy that's become my daily go-getter. The one where 4WD capabilities not as essential as a good cup of coffee in the morning.

My take on the S-Presso comes straight from the viewpoint of a remote/rural Indian customer and someone perched high in the Himalayas. It's in this context that I'll be structuring most of this ownership review.

The small car market in India is jam-packed, and every manufacturer seems to have thrown their hat in the ring. Maruti, in particular, is like a buffet of options. The sub-6L (ex-showroom) segment is bursting at the seams with choices. You've got the Alto 800, K10, S-Presso, Wagon R, Kwid, base versions of Ignis, Punch, Exter, i10, Tiago, Magnite, and the list goes on. This overwhelming variety had me in a constant state of indecision, ping-ponging between the Magnite, Exter, Kwid, and the K10. But a simple test drive convinced me that the light weight coupled with an excellent engine means that the Maruti twins K-10 and S-Presso tower above the rest.

Right off the bat, let's ditch the whole SUV daydream for the S-Presso. What it really is—a nifty, elevated Alto K10 on stilts. Picture it as a raised hatchback, the "ugly betty" of the car world. Yet, in the charming chaos of rural India, that unconventional look works in its favor.

While the official review (Maruti S-Presso : Official Review) has delved into the features and whatnot, here's my personal S-Presso scoop:
  1. The VVT Twin-injector K10C engine is a champ. I'd go so far as to call it the best 1.0L naturally aspirated engine in India by a long shot. It's eager, revs happily, and the power kicks in from the get-go. It's like a pint-sized pup with no clue about its size. Rev it up to 6K (according to the seat of my pants), and you've got a robust power band to play with. It does get vocal up top, but hey, I like that!
  2. The visible flat bonnet. It's a blessing. Easier to size up and plant your wheels exactly where you want them.
  3. Better approach and break-over angles than the Ignis (thanks to a smaller overhang, length and wheelbase). Beats the Exter too—despite its SUV dreams. The Exter's quick to kiss the ground with its chin.
  4. The AC is a boss. Smaller size, bigger chill. Works like a charm.
  5. Important perks over the Alto K10? extra ground clearence, shorter front overhang, bonnet view, rear windows that roll all the way down, a tad more storage and backseat space, a sky's-the-limit headroom, and 14-inch rims. Those 5J rims can handle rubber from 145mm to 185mm (max), so 165 sits right in the middle. Underrubbered but not too under-rubbered.
  6. Now, the VXI+ version, especially with those December discounts, slides in at less than the base Ignis. For that tag, you're scoring treats like a decent stereo, auto start-stop, and a mileage claim that's on the friendlier side. Quick disclaimer: The Ignis is the better all-around superstar. More stable, less body roll, fewer vibes, a quieter cabin, better highway manners and a more refined engine. If you want a do-it-all ride, Ignis is the better pick. Although, it might be gearing up for a heart transplant with the new Swift 1.2 engine soon. But me? I've already got a Jimny, so my needs were a tad more niche.
I've got a solid rapport with my local Maruti/Nexa dealership. So, when they wanted to offload a VXI+ version before the year-end, my ears perked up. I had initially set my sights on the VXI, figuring it's what I could roll with. But then, this VXI+ deal popped up—on-road costs, accessories, extended warranty (Team-BHP recommends getting it, and I agree), and a tire swap, all bundled under 6L. That matched my max budget for a compact car, so I didn't waste a second. Booked it right away.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-img20231224wa0010.jpg

The whole PDI and money transfer dance was handled by my buddy "G" in Jammu. Next thing I know, the car's at his doorstep the next day, flaunting temporary plates. Why? Well, I split my time between J&K and Himachal Pradesh, and I was dead set on having HP plates on this ride. J&K plates? Let's just say they're a cop magnet beyond the state borders.

Now, the color—fiery red! Small cars just pop in vibrant hues, and I originally had my heart set on a blue one. I was hoping they'd offer the Alto K10 blue for the S-Presso. Sadly, the S-Presso blue is this matte finish that just doesn't jive with my eyes. Silver and gray? Not enough road contrast for my aging eyes (can't make out the bonnet line as clearly anymore). And black? A nightmare to maintain. Orange? A bit too, well, orange for my taste. So, it really boiled down to white or red. Luckily, they had red in stock, and that sealed the deal.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-img20231226wa0009.jpg

My buddy G, another Gypsy/Jimny aficionado and owner, has been tearing it up in the city with the S-Presso. He calls it a hoot, christening it the baby Jimny. He's even tossing around the idea of getting a bumper sticker that says, "Badi hokar main Jimny banoongi," paying homage to those tiny Tata Aces dreaming of becoming trucks.

Already on the mod squad, huh? G's swapped out the stock shoes for Continental Comfort Contact CC6, kept the size in check (stock). Tossed in some aftermarket mats, slapped on a leather steering cover, and cranked up the volume on the horn. Dude's all in.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-img20231230wa0003.jpg

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-img20231230wa0004.jpg

Now, the headlights? That's the next frontier. G's holding off till I swing by and take the wheel for a spin. LED or top-notch halogens, that's the dilemma. But here's the twist. Yellow light's the mountain MVP, especially with fog, rain, and snow playing tag up there. Choices, choices. We'll see where the headlight saga takes us.

Ah, the bitter pills in the S-Presso experience, and surprisingly, they didn't demand a hefty wallet sacrifice (shame on you, Maruti).
  1. No Day/Night IRVM: Maruti, you missed a trick here. But hey, thanks to the wisdom of a forum thread (2 minute 500-rupee DIY | Day-night IRVM swap in my Maruti S-Presso), there's a workaround. Ordered the part, problem soon to be history.
  2. No Rear Defogger: Safety first, right? It baffles me too. But fear not, the trusty AC with vents pointed at the rear glass steps up to the plate. The S-Presso's compact size works its magic here.
  3. El Cheapo Tyres: MRF, we need to talk. Those stock tires are noisy and don't quite ace the braking game, all in the name of fuel efficiency. But before you dive into the world of sound deadening, here's an idea: switch up those tires. Your ears and brakes will thank you.
  4. Rear Headrests That Are a Joke: Seriously, Maruti? The rear headrests are like a bad punchline. Solution? I'm on a mission to snag the export S-Presso rear seat. Work in progress, folks. I'll spill the tea when (or if) it happens.

I will pick up the car from his place soon, drive it to the mountains and have more to share.

Last edited by antihero : 1st January 2024 at 18:01.
antihero is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 18:45   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful

January 2, 0800 hrs - Day 1 with the S-Presso

Just hopped out of the Jimny after clocking a solid 1000 kms in the past few days, and now into the S-Presso. Picked up the new ride from G's place, and kudos to him for keeping all his cars in pristine condition.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240102_023813467.jpg

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240102_023829259.jpg

The S-Presso, with only 45 KM on the odometer, got its first dose of fuel right away. Turned out to be a timely move as the Jammu fuel pump warned us of an impending transport strike. Drove the car back to Patnitop with a small detour on some solitary mountain roads. On my way home, I spotted a massive queue at my local fuel pump, but my fuel meter still showed full, so I breezed by.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240102_072219477.jpg

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240102_08565499301.jpeg

Day 1 Total kilometers: ~145. 100 on a 4-lane National Highway. 45 on double mountain roads.

Initial Impressions:
  1. The seat is set up high, catching me by surprise. At 5'8", sitting straight, the top of the windscreen hits just right. But, anyone over 6 feet should check this before sealing the deal.
  2. The gear lever felt a tad to the back, a little odd after clocking 1000 kms in the Jimny over two days.
  3. Classic Maruti - every control falls right at hand. Ergonomics? Sorted. Visibility? A solid 5/5.
  4. Electrically adjustable wing mirrors are a game-changer. If you've ever wrestled with mechanical stalks for micro-adjustments, you'll appreciate the electric upgrade. Another win for the VXI+ version.
  5. Skipped the stereo on day one. I never dive into music until I get a feel for the engine noise and the vehicle.
  6. Everything's on the smaller side. The phone holder, bottle holders, steering wheel, and the car width. Compact, to say the least.
  7. The boot feels surprisingly large for this size of a car. Easily stashed all my Amazon loot, and the parcel tray keeps it all incognito—brilliant!
  8. With the windows up, the interior is surprisingly quiet for a budget car.
  9. Minimal vibrations from the 3-cylinder engine, contrary to what the youtubers say. You'll get used to them in about 200 kms.
  10. In-gear acceleration? Top-notch. Eager pup, loves a bit of revs. Perfect for city jaunts (and hopefully for the hills).
Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240102_1044094482.jpg

Grinning ear to ear, home sweet home, and a mileage of 19 kmpl on the journey (according to the display). Spent the evening with the S-Presso manual, which is surprisingly well written. Big book on the touchscreen? Ignoring that for now.

Rant Alert - The fuel gauge hadn't budged a single bar. I just don't get it! How hard is it to build an accurate digital fuel gauge? None of the cars and motorcycles I've driven have a linear gauge. It either resets after turning off and on the vehicle or refuses to drop and then rapidly drops. A linear gauge seems to elude all Indian manufacturers.

January 3, 1000 hrs - Day 2 with the S-Presso. 206 km.

Wanted to explore the car in and around my terrain, so decided on a drive to a town just over 100 km away (3 hours one way). Max elevation 2700m. The road is a double mountain road with one lane each for to and fro. Low traffic due to the transport strike—called off, but people were still trickling onto the roads. Some roadworks and tunnel construction on the way, testing the S-Presso's ground clearance.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240103_075226635201.jpeg

Engine & Gearbox
This engine despises being lugged and thrives when revved. Keep it around 2000 RPM, and it rewards you with excellent tractability across the gear range. Lug it, and you'll be greeted with a 3-cylinder clatter and the engine's subtle protests. But with such fantastic tractability and mileage, there's no reason to lug it anyway.

3rd gear magic
The 3rd gear picks up cleanly from as low as 25kph and cruises all the way to 70kph effortlessly. This makes it the most-used cog in double road hill driving. You can be lazy and drive it in this gear all day over hill roads.

Music & Touchscreen
Fired up the touchscreen on my way back. Speaker setup? Excellent. Even with just two speakers, the vocals are clear, and sound separation is good. Not an audiophile's dream, but it's a step up from other Maruti offerings like the Swift, Ignis, etc. The touchscreen supports Android Auto, making life seamless. Bluetooth mic pickup is good, and callers said they heard me loud and clear, albeit a little boomy. The mic on the roof, close to the windscreen (as mentioned before), explains the clean audio pickup.

Suspension
The S-Presso's suspension is on the firm side, demanding more force than your average bounce. I noticed this right after the Jimny. The stiffer suspension is likely a tactic to keep body roll in check. Now, if you're cruising along sedately like I do, body roll isn't a biggie. But attempt an elk maneuver, and you'll get why those springs are flexing some muscle. On the flip side, these robust springs, combined with the S-Presso's already decent ground clearance, make it a champ on village roads and PMGSY roads. The suspension is a sweet match for gravel and those easy-rolling bumps. However, if you hit a bump with a sudden edge, it can throw the car off a bit. Yet, that's a universal truth for almost any Maruti, including the Jimny. So, sharp potholes are best approached with a gentle touch. Steady as she goes!

Lights
Tonight, the lights faced the scrutiny.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240103_1321353392.jpg

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240103_132154985.jpg

First, the positives.
  1. The lights shine in a warm, comforting yellow beam. Yellow light reigns supreme in the mountains, especially with snow and mist in the mix.
  2. The manual beam adjuster is a gem. It provides almost infinite adjustment options, unlike a digital adjustment button that restricts you to a smaller range between min and max.
  3. The spread and throw are commendable for stock headlights.
Now, the downside: The light intensity is just mediocre, nothing to brag about.

Sure, it gets the job done in rural areas with no streetlights and low traffic density roads, like we have here. But this setup won't cut it in the city with its abundance of streetlights. Nor will it suffice on our National Highways. An upgrade is definitely in the cards before the S-Presso heads off to the plains. Time to shed more light on the situation!

Mileage
The burning question for a cheap car: What about the mileage? Living in the mountains at 1900m, with all roads around being mountainous, from metaled to full-on 4WD trails. My garage includes MG410W, Jimny, and now S-Presso.

On this journey, the MID shows me 21.8 KMPL. Note: I'm a chilled-out, sedate driver with lots of hill/mountain driving experience.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-pxl_20240103_111643064.jpg

On my way back, the fuel gauge hit half with about 350KM on the odometer. Extrapolating, that means I can get 700 Kms on a full tank. Roughly 700/30 = 23.33 KM/L in the hills over metaled roads. Even so, this is 100% more than my MG410W. Halving my travel/fuel cost! The MG410W usually returns just under 12kmpl on the same road.

Last edited by antihero : 3rd January 2024 at 20:57.
antihero is offline   (87) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 12:56   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage tomorrow or day after
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 11:33   #4
BHPian

After experiencing the brilliant bs6 Alto 800, I am eager to drive latest Alto K10 & S-Presso. These Maruti small cars are so damn fun to drive! I myself drive a WagonR F10 which is upgraded with 14 inch wheels and 165 section tyres, raising the ground clearance to around 180mm. Coupled with short overhangs and the amazingly tractable F10 engine, it's rough road capability is immense. I've taken my WagonR to some hard to reach places in Kerala, which other small cars won't even dare to attempt. Never once has it kissed the ground. S-Presso for me, is an evolution of F10 WagonR. It has got all the qualities of Waggy plus a livelier K10 engine, which makes it even more capable.

Last edited by RD410 : 5th January 2024 at 11:35.
RD410 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 11:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the S-Presso and what a crisp and informative write up
I can echo the same engine behaviour for the K10B(wagonR).
The FE is really impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
- Choices, choices. We'll see where the headlight saga takes us.
- El Cheapo Tyres: MRF, we need to talk. here's an idea: switch up those tires. Your ears and brakes will thank you.
- Echo your headlight feedback too and will watch this space
- Absolutely and applies to apollo as well. Just a move to MRF ZLX makes for an eerily quiet ride but this is Maruti's call I think.
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 16:31   #6
BHPian

Excellent write up. The S-presso is one fun to drive car.
We have one doing duty in our charity group. 7 volunteers use and abuse the car for more than 2500kms/month on rural roads loaded with a month's worth of ration for 20 families. It gobbles up all the luggage and bad roads with utmost ease and leaves us smiling at the end of the day. Our car has run close to 90000 km in this fashion and still runs like new and returns 20+kmpl on the highway.

Wishing you many years of happy driving.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-spresso-charity.jpg
shrinz.vivek is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 21:01   #7
BHPian

Quick update: Today the S-presso heads to Himachal for it's RC. ~ 230 kilometers. 29 kmpl on the dash. Mostly downhill.
Forms filled, monies paid. Now the wait for the number and the HSRP notification.

Some thoughts from today's ride.
  1. Today I drove with the stereo on full time. Twice with no signal YouTube music hiccup and refused to restart playback again. Maybe calls for some offline music or another player.
  2. The engine is settling down into a better sounding hum from a whine. The tractability is still unmatched.
  3. Top tip: If you own an s-presso, get better tyres. Stock or 185/65/14 (minimal change in size and lots more rubber on the ground). Yokohama, Michelin, Conti, MRF - whatever floats your boat. The comfort, sound inside the cabin and the grip is much improved. The Continental CC6 are one of the quitest tyres I've used. First time using Continental tyres (both on the Jimny and now on the S-presso) so the grip / longitivity etc will have to wait. So far I'm quite happy with this upgrade.
  4. The non return to center steering us an issue especially when you turn slowly. In the hills when you carry momentum into a turn the steering does attempt to right itself.
  5. The warning lights look like someone sneezed them on the console. There is no rhyme or reason to them.
  6. The car behind me playfully told me they could read my speed off the big letters ☺️
  7. The wiper sweep is good, so is the water throw from the single nozzle though it does blow on the bonnet and the roof.

Last edited by antihero : 5th January 2024 at 21:29. Reason: updated tyre point
antihero is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 01:12   #8
BHPian

You have no idea how much I loved reading this thread, even at 1 in the night! A majority of the ownership threads are about these swanky rides that most folks can't afford, it's quite rare to come across an ownership thread about a car like S-Presso. Wishing you thousands of fuss-free miles!

Last edited by Amrit@wheels : 6th January 2024 at 01:29.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 05:58   #9
BHPian

Fantastic writing style of a cheerful red goblin.

Look forward to more updates soon
xsrahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 07:33   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Thank you for writing about these cute little cars. The S-Presso has always somehow been very appealing to me. And thank you for inducing a happy big smile on a Saturday morning just after returning from a happy fruit and veg buying trip for the house, from the big wholesale greens market a few kms away from home (in my best-beloved Soft top Harvest Green Gypsy!).
I don't know what it is about the Japanese KEI cars but I really love them. The Japanese have got their space design and space management bang on. And irrespective of all the snobbish and over-contrived, pretentious stuff that gets written on Fora like these and published in the popular press and shouted about on YouTube and bandied about by ‘experts’ on Whatsapp, these humble little ‘Worker Bees’ from Maruti quietly go about their stated business of ‘putting India on wheels’ in a fuss-free, efficient, utterly reliable and inexpensive manner.
They never throw tantrums and do not behave like Prima Donnas, but as you have beautifully said, are ‘Cheerful’ little things.
Let us acknowledge these facts and celebrate them. After all we are a relatively poor and highly populous country, despite all our pretensions and all. And there is no denying that even now, 40 years later, Maruti still moves India.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th January 2024 at 07:36.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 07:42   #11
BHPian

Great writeup I also took delivery of a Espresso VXI+ AMT for my wife in Dec and she is loving it every bit. Replaced her Wagon R whose papers were expiring this year.
Jajabor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 08:39   #12
BHPian

Excellently written, I didn't skip a line, all this on a cold weekend morning after finishing breakfast along with my dogs.

Like @MotorDev, you're a good story teller, and your dinki toy make for a good read.

My nephew has one since '19 an AMT, because I have 2 in my garage. He and his family love it.

Happy revving.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 08:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
- The non return to center steering us an issue especially when you turn slowly. In the hills when you carry momentum into a turn the steering does attempt to right itself.
- The car behind me playfully told me they could read my speed off the big letters ☺️
- Ditto
- I have noticed this too
That FE still has me captivated! I think Maruti should display the FE in that big letters so that everyone else turn green with envy, me included.
We have a hard limit on garage width and outside of our 2016 wagonR its the S-Presso and Alto K10 that would fit comfortably considering all other factors.
I was never a fan of the S-Presso's styling(neither the wagonR) but living with an entry level Maruti I have immense respect for what they offer and your thread paints a very attractive picture of the S-Presso.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
these humble little ‘Worker Bees’ from Maruti quietly go about their stated business of ‘putting India on wheels’ in a fuss-free, efficient, utterly reliable and inexpensive manner.
They never throw tantrums and do not behave like Prima Donnas, but as you have beautifully said, are ‘Cheerful’ little things.
Spot On
When we got the wagonR in 2016 it had only one objective, start every day 6 days a week at a minimum.
It's in its 8th year of ownership and it has done that every single day.

The only concern we ever had was at 6.5 years when Dad told me that it didn't start in the first crank while he was returning from work. I usually let the fuel pump prime and then crank and it took 1 full crank than its usual half a crank that it usually takes!
Suspecting the battery and thanks to TBHP I ordered a 12V socket voltage monitor and received it in a week. The car kept starting in 1-1.5 cranks during this time.
With the voltage monitor plugged in I noticed that the voltage was reported between 11.2-12.0V under different circumstances but the car started nevertheless.
A change of battery and this was history and its back to starting in half a crank.
Now I've read somewhere on the forum that some/many modern cars will throw an error message when the voltage drops below 12.3V and disables a start.

Compare this "concern" that we had with all the concerns/issues other vehicles have reported in their first 8 years of ownership and we see the reason why Maruti still dominates, especially the entry level segment and especially in smaller towns/remote areas where objectives of starting every day is non-negotiable.

Last edited by shancz : 6th January 2024 at 08:43. Reason: added disp FE
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 09:21   #14
BHPian

Excellent thread and I echo your observations as we also own VXI+ AMT of same colour. It’s my wife’s daily drive in city’s bumper to bumper traffic and does the fantastic job. We get 17-18 kmpl in city which is unmatched by any other petrol car. We also like it’s seat height and good visibility all round it offers, worked very well for my wife being new driver a year back. Now she is pro, thanks to this car.

Few pics
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-img_2957.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-img_2958.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-img_2956.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso VXI+ | Just cheap or cheap & cheerful-img_2619.jpeg  

FiatDiesel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 10:17   #15
BHPian

The color looks amazing! I also have the same one but in the AMT model. I'm thinking of repainting mine in this color too; I absolutely love it. Hoping it happens soon. Wishing you all the best with your new car!
raptor_diwan is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks