Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2024, 20:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Faceoff - Hyundai Creta Vs Jeep Compass - Review of both my crossovers

Let me be the bad man here and say it out loud, you are clearly biased towards your new steed, the Creta. And I am not saying this maliciously. In fact, I have a similar habit where the new product I purchase becomes my favorite for some time, doesn't matter how many better alternatives I have. This is what they call the 'honeymoon period'. It would be better if you revise this review after spending a good 16-24 months with your Creta. I am sure you will find that overall, the Compass is still a much superior vehicle.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 20:57   #17
BHPian

I too have a similar vintage of the compass (Petrol automatic) and agree with most of your points (didn't face that much issues as you did though). But not sure if any Hyundais (never checked out the Tuscon yet) can have that indestructible tank like feel of the Jeep. And design wise, I feel the Compass will age quite well as you even pointed out. The Koreans are always radical in their design for a particular gen which in a very short time will look outdated when the next gen of cars come in. Surprisingly, I still prefer the previous gen Creta with the facelift (the one that had the grill design like the Audis).
But got to hand it to them when it comes to gizmos...makes the Jeep feel like an Ambassador in comparison.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 21:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vattyboy View Post
Resale Value

I have been in the market for the last 1 month to evaluate the resale value of my Compass and I am not getting more than 8 lakhs for it.
Thank you for the comparison and the detailed costs.
I have been in love with the Compass since it was launched. If I can get a BS4 (love the steering wheel) Compass at 8 lakhs I'd be so overjoyed that I might not mind the exorbitant and frequent part replacement cost. It'd be a worthy upgrade to my 2010 Honda City.
evil_grin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 01:55   #19

Thanks for this post. Very helpful.

Can you please expand on the comparison on Driving experience in the city for both? How does Compass fare? How do they compare in stop and go traffic? Overall comfort/driving stress levels in heavy traffic etc.?
aishwaryamaurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 05:57   #20

I have a Compass and absolutely agree with you here on all the points you mentioned. The Creta wins on most fronts on being the logical and practical choice. Still somehow inspite of the issues (primarily the maintenance cost for me), the Compass tends to generate a different kind of love.

Maybe it's the 4x4 and the tank like build makes me feel secure and powerful which I would not with the other CSUVs. I am just looking for an opportunity to explore the country. I drive between Bangalore and Delhi 3 times a year. I am crazy about the Compass

I really hope Jeep sells more and the after sales experience gets better due to economies of scale. But don't think that's happening and the Jeep seems to be going the Fiat and Ford way.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th February 2024 at 19:56. Reason: Caps were needed.
micky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 06:42   #21
BHPian

Creta vs Compass is no comparison if you bring features into the equation. That's how a Hyundai sells, it's their USP. Just like a Compass would win hands down if it was purely a test based on mechanicals. Ask anyone which car has a better build quality, a more powerful engine, better suspension, much better steering, ride quality, road presence, etc and they will name the Compass unanimously. Ofcourse if you talk of gizmos at a cheaper price then why just the Compass, no one probably can match the Creta. The average user will therefore always choose the latter, who are higher in number than an enthusiast who I suspect will choose the former.
Old 19th February 2024, 07:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

I do agree with your analysis Vattyboy. I had a budget of around 30 lakhs recently and had option of buying a compass. But the facelifted seltos made much more sense to me especially in it's turbo petrol avatar. Reliability and niggle free car is one of my top priorities and in this regard pretty sure it would trump the compass.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 07:55   #23
BHPian

Unfortunately I find this slightly biased. A 2016/17 car shouldn't be compared to a 2023 model IMO. I have a 2022 Model S 4x4 Jeep Compass and the luxury levels are equivalent or better than entry level premium cars. And that thing is a tank. I've had a niggle free ownership.

I replaced a Seltos while buying the Jeep and the Seltos couldn't hold a candle when it comes to driving experience against the Compass. And don’t forget that Euro NCAP 5 star rating. Except for the ADAS features the Compass will still be my pick in 2024 against the Safaris and XUVs forget the Cretas and Seltos’!

Wish you great ownership with both machines!

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th February 2024 at 19:55. Reason: Please use caps wherever required. Thank you.
sedanlover2021 is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th February 2024, 09:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't say the comparo as biased however its not totally fair in my opinion.

When comparing buying price it is compared to that of 2017-18 of both cars however when features there is difference of 5 years in models. The 2017 Creta interiors were also pretty basic compared to what it is today. Compared to that, at that time the Compass interiors were way more plush and premium.

I too have a 2022 Compass Model S 4x4 and the interiors are miles above the model you have currently. I too wouldn't have bought a Compass if the interiors were the same as that of before.

I haven't driven the Creta much however I regularly drive and travel my friend's Seltos GT Line Diesel AT. The moment I step back into the Compass, the difference in price is so evident, not just with the quality of interiors but also the feel factor of the car. The Seltos feels so light and flimsy in comparison. Its like when I move from the Rapid to the Etios.

One question though, did most of your problems with the car increase after the accident or was it always unreliable ? Since your odo is in the 90s and your issues like injectors and alternator was changed within 15 to 20k kms back, was it because of the damage due to the accident.

The clutch of the Compass is very very sensitive to clutch riding. There are people who had to replace clutch with 1500 kms as well on a brand new car.
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 09:17   #25
BHPian

When I compared my Kia Seltos Vs Compass-

1. Nobody came to say - Why you are comparing the 2021 Kia with the 2018 Jeep.

2. Nobody Said why you comparing Diesel Compass vs Petrol Kia.

3. Nobody said why the Middle variant of Seltos is being Compared with the Top model Of the Compass.

4. Nobody said why a 14 lakh Kia is compared with a 23 Lakh Compass.

People were so happy seeing the Compass win, that people never came and called it baised.

It clearly shows that on enthusiastic platforms like Team-bhp, few members have a soft corner for Compass which is fine vs other the Indian Population (140cr).

But reality is a reality which can only be experienced by the person who owns both cars and drives them daily, one after another.

Last edited by vattyboy : 19th February 2024 at 09:31.
vattyboy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 10:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanlover2021 View Post
And dont forget that euro ncap 5 star rating
Can we apply this rating to India-specific models? As far as I know, the India-specific right-hand-drive diesel Compass has not been tested in any NCAP, and there is a thread on TBHP discussing fuel filter intrusion into the driver footwell area, which led Tata not to send the old-generation Harrier for GNCAP testing
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 13:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
One question though, did most of your problems with the car increase after the accident or was it always unreliable? Since your odo is in the 90s and your issues like injectors and alternator were changed within 15 to 20k km back, was it because of the damage due to the accident?

The clutch of the Compass is very very sensitive to clutch riding. Some people had to replace the clutch with 1500 km as well on a brand new car.
Hi, It is unreliable all the time. In a year approximately I had taken 2-3 warranty claims like ABS sensors, horns, clutch etc.

The same thing is confirmed by other customers who I met in the ASS while my car is being serviced.

And there are very less ASS available in the country. The owners I met came to ASS from cities which are 200-300 away from it.

Even the ASS SAs are telling me that all these parts are just regular maintenance items of Jeep Compass and it is the white elephant in this regard.

Yes, exactly. According to my driving style, my other cars don't need clutch replacement till 1L km.
Jeep clutch is expensive at 90k rupees so why its parts are inferior to other brands? If the price is high and quality should also be high but it is not. This is my point friend. The only use of the compass is a thick metal sheet on the outside and after that, everything is inferior to Germans, Koreans and Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I do agree with your analysis Vattyboy. I had a budget of around 30 lakhs recently and had the option of buying a compass. But the facelifted seltos made much more sense to me, especially in its turbo petrol avatar. Reliability and niggle free car is one of my top priorities and in this regard pretty sure it would trump the compass.
Good choice brother, The Seltos 1.5 turbo also has better performance than the compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishwaryamaurya View Post
Thanks for this post. Very helpful.

Can you please expand on the comparison of Driving experience in the city for both? How does Compass fare? How do they compare in stop-and-go traffic? Overall comfort/driving stress levels in heavy traffic etc.?
Thanks!

For the city, Creta is better in both Manual and Automatic transmissions.

In manual the clutch of the compass is very hard which is a problem for city driving.

In AT also the tuning of the gearbox is not that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
Thank you for the comparison and the detailed costs.
I have been in love with the Compass since it was launched. If I can get a BS4 (love the steering wheel) Compass at 8 lakhs I'd be so overjoyed that I might not mind the exorbitant and frequent part replacement cost. It'd be a worthy upgrade to my 2010 Honda City.
Yeah, but the brokers in between will earn 2-3 lakhs and sell it for a higher price. So buyers will never get it for 8 lakhs while sellers will get peanuts and brokers enjoy in between. But in the case of Creta, there is not much margin for the brokers as sellers have a lot of buyers so they will not sell it for a lower price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
Great comparison and extremely realistic. I am more or less aligned with your conclusion. And if given a choice (if I had the money to buy a Jeep Compass) I might have still gone with Creta.

For day-to-day travel, Creta/Seltos or any other sub-compact SUVish vehicle (less than 20 lacs) satisfies my needs with all the necessary features included. Occasional highway trips are also not bad.

The only reason I would like to shell out an additional 7~10 lacs would be to feel a little more accomplished among my colleagues or friends with a brand seen differently (more luxurious) and slightly better driving dynamics during occasional 33-digit speed runs. That might just not be enough for me. I would want more. People buy Merc or BMW or Audi not just for the performance alone. It also represents brand, luxury, status and so on. So for me Jeep Compass is a great car but still feels unnecessary unless I need it for the other aspects.
Thanks, friend.

There is no difference in how people treat you on the road between the Compass and Creta. Both have similar respect. Maybe 80k members of Team-bhp who have more knowledge about cars give a little bit extra respect to Compass but others don't give.

Massive respect is given to me when I drive my Mercedes, and Maintenance to both Mercedes and Jeep is similar as Mercedes is reliable and parts don't fail in it. . So when Mercedes is taking higher prices for its Car and parts than in real also their parts are good which is not the case in Compass.

So my suggestion to all others is to Skip it and Jump to 3 big Germans or Fortuner( over the long run of 5 years it will be cheaper to drive as it will require low maintenance and an extra amount given while buying it will be recovered in resale).
vattyboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 16:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The only use of the compass is a thick metal sheet on the outside and after that, everything is inferior to Germans, Koreans, and Japanese.
I am not a Jeep India fan and will probably never buy one, but I will never deny the fact that their vehicles are some of the most well-built cars available in the country. Both Compass and Meridian
are MUCH better built than the cars you're praising in the thread (Creta/Seltos, Fortuner). In fact, your description of only a thick metal sheet describes Fortuner more accurately as it is strong on the outside but quite rough on the inside. Jeep provides much better-built quality inside out than all the vehicles you are praising here.

Quote:
Good choice brother, The Seltos 1.5 turbo also has better performance than the compass.
If your definition of performance is only limited to straight-line acceleration then sure, otherwise, no. Compass is more engaging to drive overall and has better performance overall. And if you bring in the 4x4 capabilities, no Korean car can match that.

Quote:
In AT also the tuning of the gearbox is not that great.
I agree here, even the 2022 facelift AT that I drove had a confused gearbox.
P.S. This is my last comment on this thread. No personal issues, just that your comments reek of bias and resentment against the Jeep.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th February 2024 at 17:08. Reason: First line of your reply deleted. One needs to be polite on a forum like Team-Bhp
Amrit@wheels is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 20th February 2024, 17:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
INTRODUCTION
I think you need to change the title of this thread to Faceoff- 2023 Creta vs 2017 Compass, else this is misleading.

Like how you cannot compare a 2017 iPhone to a 2023 OnePlus, of course technology catches up in those 6 years.
Many of the points with regards to the interiors of Compass, Sharkfin antenna, Headlight throw, Audio quality (Now we have 6 speaker set-up in Limited variant) and many many more points are redundant.

Please also note, you are comparing a 5-star safety rated car to 2-star rated car. Both cars belong to different segments and ofcourse you are entitled to compare anything you own, please provide a clearer perspective is all I am asking

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, MS, T-Fort, ANHV, JC) when referring to cars or their makers. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by Sheel : 21st February 2024 at 17:54. Reason: Mod note attached.
Quicksilver85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 21:26   #30
BHPian

Sharing my review after being a member of dealer network for over two and half years associated with Jeep.

The experience of Jeep Compass feels different in comparision with other brands.

Americans are built different and there is no doubt not everything can be packed in one box. It will never happen as well!!!.

I have experienced many customers abusing the car and especially with multi user cars, the repairs are prominent due to not understanding how this machine works in the first place.

Clutch replacement - not many even today in our country knows the actual use of a dead peddle in a car along with clutch over ride in traffic and even pushing the car in 2nd gear (this car is not supposed to be driven with speeds below 12kmph).

This car's suspension cannot be compared with many other models existing in the market. I have not experienced anything better than the way Compass does.

We cannot conclude many topics with just an overview. I have assisted nearly 3k customers in enjoying their beast and today they have added more of the customers to the brand.

IMHO - JEEP is similar to HONDA they have their own mind of building cars and do not need markets opinion

Any support required in terms of Jeep aftersales, concerns persisting or queries about the services and repairs. Please feel free to mail me at (sameer.patel1990@gmail.com). It will be my pleasure in rendering the best of my services in the best possible way.
sameerpatel90 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks