Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2024, 17:56   #1
BHPian

SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car

What comes to mind when one describes the following characteristics of a Car?

2-Door, 2-Seater Coupe
Horizontaly placed Rear mounted Engine
Rear wheel drive
Extremely lightweight construction
Designed in Stuttgart, Germany

Maybe 90% of the respondants might answer, that's easy, a Porsche 911

Even Google Aunty seems to suggest the same

SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240126-12_07_222door-2seater-coupe-horizontally-placed-rear-mounted-engine-rear-wheel-drive-.png

BUT, there's another car that fits this description, presenting the OG City Micro Car, the SMART ForTwo Coupe!!

SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240114_152318_hdr.jpgSMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240114_152217_hdr.jpgSMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240114_153400_hdr.jpgSMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240114_153344_hdr.jpg

SMART Cars GmbH, as many might know : The marque was founded in 1994 by Micro Compact Car AG (MCC), a joint venture between SMH and Daimler-Benz. The name Smart derives from the cooperation of the Swiss company Swatch with Mercedes-Benz: "Swatch Mercedes ART". In its branding, the company lowercases its logotype and the logo incorporating a "c" and an arrow for the car's "cute", "compact", and "forward-thinking" styling, respectively.

We were on the lookout for a second car, mainly to be driven by my wife for short grocery runs, picking up our kid from the school etc. We looked at everything in the Compact Car category: Renault Twingo, Fiat 500, Renault Zoe etc. This was in 2022, when the new car deliveries were facing issues due to chip shortage and therefore new cars couldn't be acquired in short time and the used car market was the only option. With it's cute cuddly looks, great peppy engine and the ease of use in city traffic, the Smart ForTwo was quickly liked by my wife and in about three days' time, the car was with us at home.

Going into the test drive, first indications that it was a good vehicle was how quickly and easily it started at the first crank, despite being a 10 year + old vehicle. The car had already run 1,23,xxx kms and everything was in working order. Even the Automatic Gearbox responded very well, changing gears very smoothly and quickly. Of course it's no DSG, but for an AMT, it's quite peppy and very well tuned for city traffic.

LIKES: 1. Amazing interior pace, despite Micro car dimensions
2. Unmatched manoeuvrability in City traffic
3. Excellent cargo space
4. Very well lit, airy cabin, thanks to the all glass roof
5. Brilliant engine performance, delivers from the get go

DISLIKE: 1. Extremely noisy at Autobahn speeds
2. High speed stability is poor, though Autobahn capable, better to stick to city and country roads
3. Seats have no adjustability, other than fore and aft
4. Safety in a high speed accident is questionable
5. Hard, stiff suspension

Exterior Design: From the very first look, it is evident the theme of styling was Cute, friendly look. It appeals to many women, including my wife with it's cuddly proportions. The almost non-existent front and rear overhangs make it perfect for zipping in city traffic and parking. The front face is reminiscent of Pikachu, though the Nano fits the bill more aptly. Rear design is very restrained and functional, emphasis on large glass area and easy loading hatch. The White body and Black styling elements surely earn it the name of Panda. The wheels/ tires have a staggered setup, 15 inch, 155s in the front and 175s at the rear.
SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20220303_183941.jpgSMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240114_142118_hdr.jpg

The doors are quite large, better than many mid-sized hatchbacks, making ingress and egress very easy and the high seating position make it a breeze getting in and out. Frameless windows help reduce weight, make the cabin airy and add to visibility.
SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240128_170309_hdr.jpg

The rear hatch opens in two stages, the glass area, just to toss in stuff or open the lower hatch to load heavier items. Below the storage area is the engine tucked away. In the front is the service opening for the fluids, behind an easy access panel.

SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240128_141832_hdr.jpg
SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240128_141819_hdr.jpgSMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240215_084739_hdr.jpgSMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240215_084552_hdr.jpg

Lighting is strictly average, everything designed mainly for city usage. The low beams and high beams use a standard H7 lighting setup.

SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20231001_200110.jpg

Interior Design: The Interior Design is truly a masterclass in packaging and the designers have really made use of every available centimetre and the space of offer is amazing. There's ample leg room and overall a great sense of lightness in the cabin. Seats have good range of motion but no other settings which can be adjusted.

SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240128_141751_hdr.jpgSMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240215_084848_hdr.jpg

The windshield is quite rakish and combined with the high seating position, the visibility is just fantastic. Since the overhangs are almost non-existent, manoeuvring the car is a breeze and parking is the easiest of all.

In this MHD trim level, there's cloth cover on the instrument panel, cloth seats and cloth covered door cards. This being an early 2000s design, the instrumentation is no-nonsense, no modes nothing. Standard info displays speed, fuel available and other tell tale lights. Additional instrumentation is placed on the Instrument Panel in the middle in the form of Rev counter and a Clock.

SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240128_170316_hdr.jpgSMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240128_170019_hdr.jpgSMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240128_170052_hdr.jpg

Air-Conditioning and Heater work well, since there's very little volume to be covered. Infotainment and Navigation are provided by a small DIN I unit, which albeit slow, works very well. It even has a concealed CD player and the usual Micro SD card reader integrated.
SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240128_170028_hdr.jpgSMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240128_171509_hdr.jpg

The entire roof is made of glass, which adds to the airiness of the cabin. For the hot summer days, a cloth sunshade makes sure things are kept cooler.
SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20240128_170245_hdr.jpg

Storage spaces are mainly the Glove Box, some nets in the Door Cards for small nick-nacks and a coin holder slot. In the Trunk door, there is a sizeable storage area, for the warning triangle, some winter tools etc. Behind the seats is a fairly large trunk, which can accommodate large grocery bags or a suitcase even.

Driving and Handling: The steering is unassisted and almost no weight on the front axles, steering is direct and extremely light. With the small turning radius, one can do a U-turn in one lane. Braking is handled by discs at the front and drums at the rear. Braking is quite progressive and even in extended mountain driving have never given any reason for complaints. Suspension is on the stiffer side and the ride is quite bouncy. Due to the tall-boy design, there's quite a bit of body-roll and is not so confidence inspiring to take corners at higher speeds. Engine is a naturally aspirated 1.0 lt unit, which is very peppy and a hoot to drive. The gearbox has it's typical AMT rubber-band characteristics, but the overall car being light makes up for the slow gearbox. On the side is a small switch to toggle between the Automatic and Manual override modes.

Conclusion:

All in all, this car is very much like the venerable Maruti Suzuki Alto, compact, efficient, reliable and capable. Other than fuel and the usual annual services, we've not had to pay for anything, speaking for it's overall quality of components. The car has been used in all kinds of weather conditions and the little car just soldiers on. I love using the car on city runs, grocery runs and other small jaunts. My wife is extremely satisfied with the vehicle and enjoys every opportunity to take the Panda out, making it the ideal city companion.
SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20231202_105132_hdr.jpgSMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car-20220303_181445_hdr.jpg

Last edited by hifisharu : 16th February 2024 at 17:51.
hifisharu is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 18:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: SMART 451 | Ownership Review | The OG Micro Car

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 18:52   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

What a beauty. Always loved this car.
I remember there was one in Madras which belonged to a big Industrialist in the late 1990’s along with another classic the first gen A Class Merc.
Even now when I go to the EU zone I always look at these Smart Cars very wistfully. They make
Superb sense for our crowded cities but our mass market consumers would not have been able to afford these at all.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 19:55   #4
BHPian

Wow what a beautiful Smart car.

Whenever I see this reminds me of Inspector Cluzoe driving this in the Pink Panther series.

Also to a lesser extent, my Dinky Tata Nano AMT.
Vinod_nair is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 22:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Timeless gem in packaging, hasn't aged one bit. I just wistfully look at European small cars of high quality, as opposed to small and cheap fare which we are used to.
Did the Smart have Elk Test stability issues?
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 18:23   #6
BHPian

Whenever in Europe, I’ve always wondered whether it would not make sense for someone to sell this in India. The size of the market would surely offset the lowered selling price. This, along with the nano, are the perfect cars for our cities.
If I may ask, what was the buying price and how much would it cost new?
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 21:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
What a beauty. Always loved this car.
I remember there was one in Madras which belonged to a big Industrialist in the late 1990’s along with another classic the first gen A Class Merc.
Even now when I go to the EU zone I always look at these Smart Cars very wistfully. They make
Superb sense for our crowded cities but our mass market consumers would not have been able to afford these at all.
Certainly a head turner even now, because of it's unique proportions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Wow what a beautiful Smart car.

Whenever I see this reminds me of Inspector Cluzoe driving this in the Pink Panther series.

Also to a lesser extent, my Dinky Tata Nano AMT.
Thank you for your appreciation, my wife too finds the design very endearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Timeless gem in packaging, hasn't aged one bit. I just wistfully look at European small cars of high quality, as opposed to small and cheap fare which we are used to.
Did the Smart have Elk Test stability issues?
Probably it didn't do well in a Moose test, there are only videos of head-on crash tests, where the Smart fared much better than expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Whenever in Europe, I’ve always wondered whether it would not make sense for someone to sell this in India. The size of the market would surely offset the lowered selling price. This, along with the nano, are the perfect cars for our cities.
If I may ask, what was the buying price and how much would it cost new?
Since we bought ours as a used model, it was very cheap, we paid only 5000 Euros for it. But as new, they are pretty expensive, going upto 20,000 Euros or more for a Brabus version.
hifisharu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks