Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 17:29   #1
BHPian

Ladies and Gentlemen, another Swift D on board.

After the almost 3 month wait, my dealer finally called me up last week to inform me that my car has been dispatched and I would be geting it in the same week.
So after rushing for the finance and all the paperwork, I picked up a brand spanking new Silky Silver VDi from RNS motors, Hosur road on Friday.

The car itself was great looking and clean, but had 50km on the odo. I let it go though, not wanting to spoil the moment. Unfortunately I didn't get any addons, but for the basic accessories kit and sun film.
I paid for, and had 3M antirust treatment done on the underbody of the car.

The whole process of picking up the car took an hour or so, and was a little hurried as there were 3 more cars being delivered at the same time, but in all, I was very impressed with the dealership and staff. We reached the dealership at about 5 pm and were out by 6.15 pm.

Got the car out at 6.30 pm, with a brave face to the Friday evening Hosur road traffic. My initial impressions of the car when I drove it this time around (yes, I had a teeny TD earlier) was that "man, this car is fat, particularly around the rear".
So following in the proud traditions of Black Beauty, Sparky and MIKE, I christened her "Silver Fatbutt" or SFB as we shall know her from now on. She was big, and only the balloons on the front gave me any clue on where she started off.
Also the rear window is pretty small and you need to have both ORVMs out for decent rear vision. Never having driven any diesel before, I felt the engine throb under my clutch pedal, and the sound of the engine a little strange. Is this normal on all diesels?

Back to Hosur Road, taking her out as carefully as possible to Koramangla, was pretty quick. People gave us a wide berth, possible because of the balloons and the ribbon on the car until just after the flyover when a biker madly cut across me and belted off. My sudden braking probably saved his life but not my car, I heard a small thud (and later found that his footrest had left a 4 inch strip of rubber on the bumper). I that point however I could not do anything and drove on, while cursing the biker with rotting privates.

Anyways, got to the temple in one piece, and had the pooja done.
I would like to add at this point, that if you do this, get the kum kum off the car fast(particularly white and silver cars), or you'll end up with little spots which show on the car and don't come off easily.

I did another 50 km run in, that night itself on the ORR, keeping the revs at 2000 rpm, mostly. Although I tried to keep SFB under 2500 rpm, the response when the turbo kicks in is addictive.

Fast forwarding to saturday, I decided to spend the day getting my "ICE" and BLING done.

I wanted the whole shebang, the top of the line Alpine HU, JBL components, Amplifiers, Subs, a LCD screen with a DVD player and a PS2 for when I am not driving,.
On the performance side, I was looking for the Green cotton air filter, Pete's and FFE.
Only three things stood in my way:
1. Wife
2. Maruti's warranty policy
3. An already sad bank balance

So I hopped along to Auto Shop, Koramangla, after some research here on the ICE forums, where some very nice guys, (brothers) set me up with the Pio - 2950, and a decent set of JBL coaxials.
The sound is good, more than enough for what I need, so I am happy.
I also had the Autocop alarm fitted and the Xenos reverse parking sensors for tight spots. I could have got everything under one roof if my "BLING" came though too but unfortunately although I found some really great alloys, I wasn't able to get the tyre sizes I wanted.

So I head over to Car Shringar on JC road where I found some really great looking Titan Racing alloys along with Yokohoma ES100s - 195/60- 15.
They were pricey and I probably paid more than I should have but that took care of the bling on the car. I am still a little apprehensive about the Titan Racing alloys but was assured that they were good. Can anyone give me feedback on them?
Titan Model Sdn. Bhd.

This time around, with new wheels and tyres, SFB feels more grounded. I feel more confident on turns and the braking is a lot better. The downside is that with lower profile tyres, you get to feel the road a little more.

Pics coming up soon and a review of the car on the mysore trip I took on Sunday.
Old 3rd December 2007, 18:33   #2
BHPian

@P1tBull: Firstly, Congrats on your ride and you'll only love it more with each passing day (from experience he! he!)

Sachin and his brother at Auto Shop, Koramangala are certainly among the best, you can do business with. And except for the tyres and alloys, I stick with them for all my accessories. Very professional and honest guys and a down-to-earth attitude unlike a few other places.

And seriously, whats with Butts & team-bhp?

Don't keep us waiting too long for those pics.
Old 3rd December 2007, 18:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

nice update and congrats for your purchase !!

Abhi
Old 3rd December 2007, 19:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats & Enjoy the drive!

Post some pics too!
Old 3rd December 2007, 20:32   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1tBull View Post
I picked up a brand spanking new Silky Silver VDi from RNS motors, Hosur road on Friday.
Congrats. Swift DDiS is one of the best packages out there. hehe. I am waiting for my chance to upgrade.
Quote:
The car itself was great looking and clean, but had 50km on the odo.
Dont be to worried. Some dealerships disconnect odo while transporting and registration. So, low mileage can't always be trusted.
Quote:
So following in the proud traditions of Black Beauty, Sparky and MIKE, I christened her "Silver Fatbutt" or SFB as we shall know her from now on.

Thats one of the best names i have heard of the Swift. hehe. It has a fat butt alright!
Old 3rd December 2007, 20:36   #6
BHPian

Hey congrat man.Very nice choice.
I really love swift diesel it is a fantastic car.
Old 3rd December 2007, 20:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Congratz.. enjoy the car....
Old 3rd December 2007, 21:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Pl tell Silver Fat Butt I said hello. And wishing the all of you great days inside/with each other.

Titan alloys are fairly obscure and this is certainly the first time I've heard abt them. I would suggest a set of Lensos - from what I've seen, they're desirable both aesthetically and quality-wise; and in the event you damage an alloy, getting a replacement will not be difficult.

Last edited by theMAG : 3rd December 2007 at 21:14.
Old 3rd December 2007, 21:25   #9
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So following in the proud traditions of Black Beauty, Sparky and MIKE, I christened her "Silver Fatbutt" or SFB as we shall know her from now on.
you're kidding right !?! anyway...congrats on your new ride and happy motoring !!
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:41   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the club

Maruti, with their extended delivery times, are trying to keep membership as exclusive as possible, but, every so often a new member slips in!

Pretty fat for a small car, yes --- and that high waist means it's hard to drive with your elbow out of the open window.
Old 4th December 2007, 10:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
--- and that high waist means it's hard to drive with your elbow out of the open window.
Exactly ... now, I can't even stick my elbow out while my dog gets to stick his entire head out. GGGGGrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Old 4th December 2007, 11:23   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Got the car out at 6.30 pm, with a brave face to the Friday evening Hosur road traffic.

People gave us a wide berth, possible because of the balloons and the ribbon on the car until just after the flyover when a biker madly cut across me and belted off. My sudden braking probably saved his life but not my car, I heard a small thud (and later found that his footrest had left a 4 inch strip of rubber on the bumper). I that point however I could not do anything and drove on, while cursing the biker with rotting privates.
Friday evening, and Hosur road is a combo to stay away from. Really mad traffic there then. As far as people giving way to the new car goes, looks like they were just placing their bets on how far this car would go before Bangalore traffic autographs it.

Quote:
Now thats quite an unique naming convention you have there! That name is gonna stick for good, right?
Old 4th December 2007, 11:54   #13
BANNED

How much for alloys and new tires and how much the buy back for stock tyres.
Pics please.
Old 4th December 2007, 11:54   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the comments, everyone.
I realise that this thread is useless without pictures, so I'll try to put them up asap.
And yes, that name will stick.
We southies usually believe that a woman's (or car's) appeal lies in her posterior
Old 4th December 2007, 15:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I could not do anything and drove on, while cursing the biker with rotting privates
Good liner there mate !! It happens.

BTW how did you manage to ride with the baloons stuck over the car ???

I really enjoyed reading your review. Very nicely explained. Do put some pics real soon. I have never seen any Titan Alloys before ever. Just curious - How much did the new footwear cost you ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks