Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2007, 08:49   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Errr...RX300 isnt exactly a kickass off-roader. Nor is the X5. They are lifestyle vehicles.

The Jeep Cherokee is a reasonably competent offroader, not exactly kickass class.
The RX300/X5 probably nobody pushes it offroad much.

But Cherokee is kickass enough.

Old 14th December 2007, 09:43   #77
BHPian

Cool! A Tucson lover's thread! Yo rippergeo, go ahead and buy the Tucson.. And IF you have any doubts or question ask em on!
Old 14th December 2007, 21:10   #78
Senior - BHPian

RX350 is nothing but a Camry on stilts. I wouldn't dare take it off road. RAV4 is probably better

However, the Range Rover, LR Dicsovery, Jeep Liberty are monocoque and are some of the best in the world.
Old 15th December 2007, 03:57   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Amen, drinks are on the Safari marauders the next time you are in our neck of the woods - no pun intended
Aye! Affirmative....
Old 15th December 2007, 09:48   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
However, the Range Rover, LR Dicsovery, Jeep Liberty are monocoque and are some of the best in the world.
Deep - a few observations on these vehicles

LR Discovery (now LR3) is not a full monocoque, while the older Discovery had a full body-on-ladder-frame carried over from the 70s. Consequently, the LR3 has more of a road bias. The older Discovery however was a very very capable off-roader except that it had to visit the service centre quite often.

Construction-wise, Land Rover developed an all-new method which they called Integrated Body Frame (IBF). The previous Discovery models had used a traditional, strong ladder-frame chassis. Whilst tough in off-road use, these are heavy and detract from the on-road handling of the vehicle. Monocoque vehicles are more rigid, giving improved high-speed handling, but can be damaged by the stresses involved in heavy off-road use. In the IBF the body, engine bay and passenger compartment is built as a monocoque, which is mated to a basic ladder-chassis holding the gearbox and suspension. It claimed to combine the virtues of both systems, but does make the Discovery 3 uncommonly heavy for its size stunting on-road performance and off-road agility, especially in soft ground such as sand. This was one of the reasons that the new Discovery became the first Land Rover to be offered with a rear locking differential.

The Range Rovers moved to monocoque bodies in 2002, and now they are mostly supercharged, come with ultra-low-profile tires and feature full home-theatre style entertainment. Yes then do MORE THAN reasonable off-road duties (except the Sport), but the positioning is very clear - its lifestyle.

The Jeep Liberty, meanwhile is a continuation of the Cherokee, though sold in various names such as "Commander" in other markets. Let me quote here what a buyers guide has to say about the new Liberty:

Competition
Consumer Guide Automotive places each vehicle into one of 18 classes based on size, price, and market position. Among utility vehicles, Compact SUVs are typically the least costly and offer the best fuel economy. Most utilize a car-type chassis and are not designed for heavy-duty, off-road use. Nearly all are five-passenger vehicles; some offer seating for seven.

Our Best Buys are the Honda CR-V and Suzuki Grand Vitara. Our Recommended picks are the Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, Saturn Vue, and Toyota RAV4.

New or significantly redesigned models include the Jeep Liberty, Mazda Tribute, Nissan Rogue, and Saturn Vue.

The new Liberty shares its monocoque chassis with the Dodge nitro - reinforced with ladder sub-frames.

Fellow BHPian CaliforniaKnight is better qualified to talk about the jeeps than me, though - he sells them.

At the end of the day, the Japs remain the king of off-roads along with the G Wagon. Those are the really kick-*** offroaders, and with the FJ Cruiser from Toyota and the Xterra from Nissan they've reinforced their position - they make the really capable (and more importantly, dependable) offroaders while the LRs and the Jeeps get softer.

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th December 2007 at 09:53.
Old 11th January 2008, 07:44   #81
rippergeo

my choice has been over-ruled, family has decided to buy the endeavour. guess I'll have to make do with what i get.

atleast i get a bigger car with better off road abilities than the tucson. never mind

Old 11th January 2008, 09:47   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
my choice has been over-ruled, family has decided to buy the endeavour. guess I'll have to make do with what i get.

atleast i get a bigger car with better off road abilities than the tucson. never mind
Congratulations on the decision - at least you are getting a good fit & finish along with all the bells & whistles & a peppy engine. That the people in the middle row will yell blue murder is a different matter altogether
Old 11th January 2008, 17:25   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the decision - at least you are getting a good fit & finish along with all the bells & whistles & a peppy engine. That the people in the middle row will yell blue murder is a different matter altogether

Endy's middle row is not that bad as its been said my many here. The legroom is very spacious and it compensates for lack of height.If the person of 6+ft, it might be uncomfortable. The overall ride too is not bumpy as in vehicles like Scorpio. Pajero too has the same middle row seat height.
Old 11th January 2008, 18:05   #84
rippergeo

I'm really gutted that I'm not getting the tucson, but atleast the ford is a rear wheel drive that can kick its tail out in the dirt. that should make up for everything I lose in the handling department.

who cares about ride comfort anyway? my fav car is the diesel swift, does it look like I care about ride comfort?
and headroom and legroom- I'm 5'5 in boots. not much of an issue is it?
@joshdrive- i didnt think the middle and rear seats uncomfortable. maybe its cos I'm not used to a posh ride.

Last edited by rippergeo : 11th January 2008 at 18:08.

Old 11th January 2008, 18:12   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I'm really gutted that I'm not getting the tucson, but atleast the ford is a rear wheel drive that can kick its tail out in the dirt. that should make up for everything I lose in the handling department.

who cares about ride comfort anyway? my fav car is the diesel swift, does it look like I care about ride comfort?
and headroom and legroom- I'm 5'5 in boots. not much of an issue is it?
@joshdrive- i didnt think the middle and rear seats uncomfortable. maybe its cos I'm not used to a posh ride.

Awwwwwww

Do i read a hint of sarcasm here!

Elito
Old 11th January 2008, 23:03   #86
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Awwwwwww

Do i read a hint of sarcasm here!

Elito
cripes!!! that was not my intention at all, BTW, who did you think the sarcasm was directed at? serious question.

Old 14th January 2008, 15:14   #87
Senior - BHPian

New Engine on Ford Endeavour???

OK Rippergeo & Joshdrive, got some news that I thought I'd share with you guys. We'd booked a 4x4 Endeavour for our MD & were expecting delivery (after an inordinately long waiting period) at the end of this month.

This morning, the dealer called us to say that the present engine was being discontinued & a new 3 litre engine was being launched - pricing was supposed to be announced around the 20th and the earliest that we could now hope to get delivery (if we decided to go for the new version which would obviously be more expensive) would be end-Feb or March.

Doc Ripper, what have they told you about delivery? Joshdrive, have you bought it already?

Any other Tbhpians with any concrete info?

Last edited by suman : 14th January 2008 at 15:18.
Old 14th January 2008, 15:27   #88
BHPian

Hello, I checked with my dealer and he says there is no such news.New Endy was launched just 6 months back and they wouldnt do this. I have been promised a delivery of date mid Feb.
Old 15th January 2008, 10:10   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
Hello, I checked with my dealer and he says there is no such news.New Endy was launched just 6 months back and they wouldnt do this. I have been promised a delivery of date mid Feb.
Buddy, I just double-checked with my sources. It is true - the 4x4s are going to be coming with a 3 litre TDCI engine - deliveries are expected around end-Feb, early March.

If you are going for a 4x4, grab hold of your dealer & wait - the 3 litre engine may/should be better.
Old 15th January 2008, 10:22   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy, I just double-checked with my sources. It is true - the 4x4s are going to be coming with a 3 litre TDCI engine - deliveries are expected around end-Feb, early March.

If you are going for a 4x4, grab hold of your dealer & wait - the 3 litre engine may/should be better.
Hi, Thanks for that info. I have opted a 2 WD but will re-check with my dealer anyway. What color you have booked?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks