Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2007, 14:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nice TD reports! I think either Cedia or Optra Magnum should fit your requirements.
Old 26th December 2007, 14:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
2006 Oct 15K Cedia Sports M.Red going for 6.5Lakhs
This is indeed a very bad value of a year old car! That would put Cedia spirit around 5.6 to 5.8 lacs.. I doubt if this is correct!
Old 26th December 2007, 14:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if anyone would actually sell his/her year old car for 6.5 lacs.
Old 26th December 2007, 14:55   #19
BHPian

Hi All,

I just took a TD of the Verna CRDi with ABS and the on-road price is 8,99,803.00 but with few features compared to its petrol sibling xxi-ABS i would be paying a lakh more with very few features and the Sales person had no answer to this and was not ready to get these features to me but promised me that he would swap the tries from the stock to 195/65 R15 something that i wanted but still paying almost 9lakhs and not features like adjustable rear headrests and other detalis i felt as if i was getting robbed daylight. I guess i shall wait to TD the Skoda Fabia and then decide.
Old 26th December 2007, 15:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I doubt if anyone would actually sell his/her year old car for 6.5 lacs.
Maybe / Maybe not... But, why not?

Well, to strike a closing price for sale, there needs to be a consensus...

As the marketing mantra goes... To make a sale, you need two parties, usually called idiots because neither knows the real worth of the product... Hey, No offense to anyone!!

If the seller were desperate to sell, the buyer wins... [seems to be the case with the 6.5L sale information]

If the buyer were desperate to buy, the seller wins...

@reignofchaos, you and I may not sell our cars at this price, but there are people who do... depends on their situation.

Well, I think I have gone way off topic... but, thanks for the "information" on used Cedia price.
Old 26th December 2007, 15:32   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
Maybe / Maybe not... But, why not?

Well, to strike a closing price for sale, there needs to be a consensus...

As the marketing mantra goes... To make a sale, you need two parties, usually called idiots because neither knows the real worth of the product... Hey, No offense to anyone!!

If the seller were desperate to sell, the buyer wins... [seems to be the case with the 6.5L sale information]

If the buyer were desperate to buy, the seller wins...

@reignofchaos, you and I may not sell our cars at this price, but there are people who do... depends on their situation.

Well, I think I have gone way off topic... but, thanks for the "information" on used Cedia price.
Also on a side note, please check the used-car value at carwale.com. There is a huge 35-40% depreciation on a 1year old Cedia and for corolla its just about 10-15%. Am not sure how good are these people at valuing cars but it atleast gives new car buyers a vague idea on the resale.
Old 26th December 2007, 16:05   #22
BHPian

I guess you have missed the Optra Magnum-D from the list. It does offer ABS/Airbags at the top end. Any reason why you have left out this car?? Please do a test drive of the Magnum-D. To me it is the most appealing of the lot in that segment. You can safely remove the SX4 and Verna-D from the list. They can't compete with the others in the list you have mentioned..
Old 26th December 2007, 16:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
Wow rrnsss... A very nice TD report. Reminds me of Dec 2006, when I was doing the same TDs exercise. Of course, in that time frame, Civic and Magnum diesel were not launched yet.

IMHO, Optra Magnum Diesel seems to be a better overall package than the Cedia. Personally, I liked the airy nature of the Cedia cabin. The Magnum Diesel engine is a bomb though.

Not to pick any bones here, but the Civic was very much available in 2006 December.

I would go either with the Cedia or the Civic unless one decides to wait for the new Corolla. this is in the petrol segment.

Optra Magnum in the Diesel segment. I'm not very happy with Verna's handling given the engine it has.
Old 26th December 2007, 17:18   #24
BHPian

[quote=csentil;668012]Not to pick any bones here, but the Civic was very much available in 2006 December.
[quote]

You are right... I think I mixed it up...
Old 26th December 2007, 17:22   #25
BHPian

If HM is the only concern that you have, then it is not any concern. I drive Cedia and I really do not know what HM has to do with it.

It is a Mitsubishi car. As far as A.S.S. is concerned Lathangi opposite IIMB is a better dealer than Southern Motors in Bangalore. You may get a better deal in this week since it is end of the year.

Your assessment of Cedia is fair. It is a practical car and pure delight to own. It gives you everything that Civic does and almost 4 lacs lesser than Civic. Sure Cedia does not have flashy dash but Civic would scrap all the bumps that Bangalore has; not expected of a car worth 13 lacs.
Old 26th December 2007, 18:12   #26
rippergeo

if its highway driving you're looking at, its best you go for the new generation diesels.i.e verna and the optra magnum diesels. the torque means that overtaking is effortless and safe(you spend less time on the wrong side of the road.)
of these two, the magnum is better loaded, has a slight edge in straight line speed and acceleration.
the verna is cheaper, but handles slightly better(thats not saying much as they both are atrocious handlers)

I also felt that the verna has better braking(all round discs) and effective ABS
the new gen diesels let you potter around town nicely in traffic and also let you scream up the rev range on the highway. sometimes its almost like driving an automatic transmission.this kind of flexibility is difficult to find in a petrol.
the skoda diesel i didnt mention cos i think we're being fleeced for the snob value.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on the cedia(is there a diesel?)
hope you pick a diesel- it makes sense.

PS-if you found the verna scary, you should try the magnum diesel :-)

Old 26th December 2007, 18:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

SX4 - Good car, but no diesel and looks little odd to me.
Cedia - Good car, uncertain parenthood.
Octavia - 15L for the LnK with ABS, if you want a Skoda, buy a Laura or a Fabia
Civic - Very good car but not so good suspension
Optra Magnum - Fantastic Car, and i dont think its a 3 seater with the seat pushed back to the max. Looks little odd from the front though.
Verna - Very good car, but little overpriced for what it offers.

City Vtec - For 10Lakhs its just way overpriced.

I think you should have a Look at the Getz CRDi, fantastic engine, good space but little low on features.
Old 26th December 2007, 19:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Most of the posts mentioning the negatives about cedia are baseless.

1. resale- yes resale is low but nothing to really worry about. It is like a celebrity with low profile. A single car doesnt decide resale? check out the service history of the car. Check why the seller is selling. check for prices of other cedia's. Then we can arrive at some conclusion. That said, I am in no way opposing the fact that cedia's resale is low.

Also working against the resale value is the image. Cedia selling at 9.5 will never have same resale at Civic selling at 13.5. also civic holds value better than cedia. Hence this sketches a bad image for cedia.

2. Many people said that cedia has an uncertain future. Cosider it good or bad but HM is still selling the good ol ambassador since decades and even the lancer is now a decade old. plus they are in no dire need for outside cash atleast for the near future (read 5 years)

3. Age: IN reality it is illogical to compare cedia with civic. Cedia is a generation older to civic. Hence the interiors and looks are a generation behind. But so is the price.

Octavia again is expensive. It sure is solid but many (I really mean a looooot) of owners have had expensive maintainence issues. Also its an old generation car now.

Civic is an excellent piece of art. But It occassionally also works against it. People buy it without actually surveying and reviewing the car as a complete package. Low GC and expensive parts are some bad points. Also Honda dealers usually are rude in after sales (Ahmedabad and Surat Experience).

Optra I would say is the best of the lot at the moment. But to make a consideration towards this car you need to accept diesel tech. The TCDI engine is a gem and comfort is first class. Resale again is a culprit here and GM cars atleast in India are not known for enthusiastic driving experience. Still this is one car that wont dissapoint you much. TOp that up with the 3 years warranty.

Check the True facts with owners instead of asking just anybody's opinions. My opinion on skoda and Optra may not be accurate but I can vouch for Cedia and Civic bcoz I have driven them extensively (about 5-10K on both)
Old 26th December 2007, 20:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Looking at your requirements, I would suggest a Magnum diesel or a Safari 2.2 diesel. Both excellent mile munchers. Considering your build, Safari might fit you better.
Old 27th December 2007, 13:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I went through the similar exercise about 5 months ago and got my Cedia SPIRIT and believe me, I am One Happy Man with my decision..
See my thread for a another opinion...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...head-herd.html

Drivability...! Thats where Cedia scores above all other on the road.. City / highway / rough roads / pot-holes...
It Takes 'em all...

Hope the above would be useful for you too...

On another note, comparing Cedia with Civic and Corolla.. The price difference is only in India, because in the middle east, Lancer, Civic and Corolla all come in the small-medium sized car bracket with just within 10% price range.
Surely Honda and Toyota are 'overselling' their cars in India. (Mitsubishi tried to the same when lauhcing Cedia, but corrected their price-tag downwards by more than 1 lakh, to be reasonable and attract potential buyers of Civic and Corolla).

Last edited by ajmat : 27th December 2007 at 13:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks