Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2007, 22:44   #1
BHPian

TD of SX4, Civic, Octavia, Cedia and Verna-D

I am on the look out for a new car and am planning to make a booking after Jan 15th.

Purpose of the car is to commute between madras Bangalore 2 to 3 times a month.

My requirement is a fast, safe, economical car. I was looking at the Getz Crdi segment. A friend suggested that I should but a car with ABS/Airbags and it made sense.

I am also 6' and weigh 119 Kgs. I need a car with some serious leg room.

Car: Suzuki SX4 zxi
Dealer: BIMAL Whitefield road

Sales person was courteous and arranged for a test drive immediately.

There is ample room for the driver and the ingress and egress is very convenient. One does not have to crawl in and out of the car.

The seat adjustment levers and plastic parts were of very poor quality and loose.

The engine was a huge let down. It did not have the torque I was looking for.

So even though with ABS/Airbags/Climate control @8.2 Lakhs on road and offers very good value for money , resale etc , I was not impressed.

Car: Honda Civic
Dealer: Whitefield Honda

The moment I opened the car, I got the "wow" factor. Being a tall & fat person , I simply love the telescopic steering. It makes life so much easier to get in and out and have a comfortable driving position. Not to mention the fact that it makes the steering assembly very "cool"

The company's driver took the car out for a test drive and as it came out it scraped it's under chassis with a sickening noise.

I found getting into the car was a bit difficult due to its low profile. But, I found that a full grown adult could sit comfortably behind me even after I pushed the driver seat far back. Once inside, I felt that I was in a jet fighter rather than a car. The car performed admirably . There was perceptible road noise , but that could be forgiven because the car is just a beautiful piece of art.

Drove for 4 kms in the outer ring road and decided to make a u turn and had to cross a speed bump. Crossed the speed bump at 10 kmph and again scraped the bottom. Felt bad.

The engine is superb, response is admirable , the driver console is futuristic , and the car looks beautiful and performs like an angel. Only complaint I have is the bottom scrapping.

Even though priced at 13.2 Lakhs on road, I thought it was worth it as I could not put a price tag on a piece of art.

Walked out of Whitefield Honda with a new found love for the civic.

Car: Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi
Dealer: TAFE , St.Marks Road

Sales person was not courteous, not knowledgeable and arranged for a test drive after a protracted delay.

I have always loved the skoda Octavia . Thought of it as a superb car.

I was deeply disappointed when I realized that there is absolutely no space in the car. Once I push the driver seat far enough to seat me comfortably , the car becomes a 3 seater. I found the Getz to have more space than the Octavia.

Anyway, I took a test drive , The engine is marvelous. I think the ECU in the car does not allow the car to stall and no matter which gear you are in , if you remove your foot from the gas pedal it adjusts the engine rpm to a speed where it does not stall. That was a very nice feature. The torque in the engine pulls the car along like a locomotive. No wonder it gives 22 kmpl.

The electric mirror adjustment is kept in a very awkward place. The flasher and the wiper switches are reversed in position. The interiors were too dark and dull for my taste.

NOTE: The car given to me for TD was a new skoda (unregistered with testing plates ) and amazingly, the Speedo and the odo were not working ( disconnected ) . Is there some thing fishy here???

When I asked for the on road price of Octavia with ABS/Airbag and diesel, I was quoted 15.3 Lakhs on road.

I found this to be preposterous as I did not find any value in that car worth 15 Lakhs. It does not even have disc brakes in the rear for 15 L .

Car: Mitsubishi Cedia
Dealer: Southern Motors St.Marks Road

If I had to one word adjectives to describe the cedia, they would be "conservative", "traditional", "simple", "effective", "practical" etc.

The car is just PERFECT. Everything you need and nothing you don’t need. No flashy cockpit style console like the Civic, but a dull boring traditional instrument console, Superb and silent engine. Huge amount of room for the driver and the passenger, very nimble , solid feel to the doors, 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS/Airbags and a good Suspension.

I found the lack of climate control a bit disappointing.

I was impressed with the suspension the most. It gives a very comfortable ride and does not bottom out like the civic. Also the engine behaved to be more torquier than the civic even though on paper they have the same torque at almost the same rpm.

I was dong 50 kmph at 1000 + rpm in 5th gear and the car did not knock or complain.

The next thing I was impressed with was the amount of leg room available. Of the cars I tested only Cedia and the civic did not become a 3 seater once I sat comfortably in the driver's seat.

I must say that I was surprised by the cedia. at 9.3 Lakhs on road , it is great value for money . The only sticky point would be that it is backed up by Hindustan Motors.

Car: Hyundai Verna CRDI
Dealer: Advaith Hyundai Outer ring road

This car can best be described as an "out of control beast". And I mean that in a good way.

Let me first give the bad points about this car.
(1) The car becomes a 3 seater once I sit comfortably in the driver seat
(2) No air bag option
(3) Not a big fan of the egg shaped look of the car

Seldom do you drive a car that pins you back to your seat in the 1st to 4th gears. It has psychotic performance. It makes you grip the door handles with fear if you are not driving.

I honestly think that hyundai has redefined the game for small segment performance with the verna crdi.

There is no point elaborating on the interiors, climate control, gear shift or the audio. In front of this engine, every thing else becomes inconsequential.

WOW!!! WHAT AN ENGINE.

Conclusion:-

Even though I have not made a selection yet, I have definitely eliminated Skoda. I sincerely feel that one pays 2-3 Lakhs for the exclusivity it offers than any real value.

I have tentatively eliminated the sx4. The only positive I see with it is a good service network.

I am yet to test drive the optra magnum and the corolla. The optra magnum seems to suffer from the 3 seater syndrome too. I will add to this post once I do that.
Old 26th December 2007, 00:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

For the Cedia, you might wanna check out the other dealer too... Lathangi motors opposite IIMB and see what price they quote. They have their own service center unlike southern which depends on India Garage. So far my experience with Lathangi service has been rather positive.
Old 26th December 2007, 00:52   #3
BHPian

Excellent post. The way you have jotted everything down is very informative. Looking forward to the follow up!!
Old 26th December 2007, 10:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to take test drive of Optra Magnum, you'll feel dis-appointed. A very torque engine, plush interiors, ample space, chevrolet service commitment, a very nice on-road average...... Did i said any more ???

Did i said too much ....... No i am not a Optra salesman, i am optra user
Old 26th December 2007, 10:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

beautiful. what an experience of a TD
Old 26th December 2007, 10:34   #6
BHPian

My suggestion is to go for Cedia. Its great car, whenever you go out with this car you will forget HM badged.
Old 26th December 2007, 10:46   #7
BANNED

The cedia or corolla seems to be a wise choice here.

Corolla for its bullet-proof reliability and Cedia for its enthusiast image and VFM. Hyundai is good but you have better options here.Magnum is the best car to have fun on the Bangalore-Mysore highway but am not sure about its reliability factor it being a diesel. Civic is a gas guzzler.

Cedia has the worst resale value of the lot, atleast here in Bangalore.

My top choice would be

1.Toyota Corolla H2 - 11.8 Lakhs , Expect 40K Cash Discount.

2.Lancer Cedia Sports - 10.3 lakhs, 30K cash discount.

3.Optra Magnum LT - 11.4 Lakhs, 15K cash discount.

(All prices On-road Bangalore)

Corolla changing model next year August, but is still a good buy now with the discounts.
Old 26th December 2007, 11:00   #8
BHPian

forget about the other cars optra magnum Lt is the car for you.just TD it and you will fall in love with it
adv- 11lakh+ you get supreme comfort-spacious leather seats,steering,gear dual airbags,all 4 wheel disk brakes,ABS,120bhp refined powerful diesel engine,alpine mp3 player
what more can you ask for
Old 26th December 2007, 11:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
For the Cedia, you might wanna check out the other dealer too... Lathangi motors opposite IIMB and see what price they quote. They have their own service center unlike southern which depends on India Garage. So far my experience with Lathangi service has been rather positive.
I second that and Mr. Prasad is of the service dept handles things in great style and responsibility
Old 26th December 2007, 11:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Civic is the Car if you have the Budget.

I complltely agree about Octavia with you - 15 Lacs is steep !!! Have you TD'ed the Laura Ambiente - 13.2 Lacs Ex Special Price !!

Cedia again is a wonderful car BUT when it gets stopped is anyone's guess.
Old 26th December 2007, 11:18   #11
Team-BHP Support

SX4 - it is a value budget car- you get what you paid for
Cedia - good overall package but will date fast
Octavia - not worth considering new - good drivers cars though
Civic - Nice car but suits the slim and the beatiful on smooth roads
Optra Magnum - the dark horse - drive it - it is a great cruiser, even a petrol is good value
Verna - you pay for power and not much else.

Ever considered the City Vtec - not a driver oriented package but a good overall package with spac to boot
Old 26th December 2007, 11:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Cedia has the worst resale value of the lot, atleast here in Bangalore.
Any idea about the actual resale value(s), for how old a car? It would be interesting to know the actual depreciation of the Cedia (at least here in Bangalore).
Old 26th December 2007, 11:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I am yet to test drive the optra magnum and the corolla. The optra magnum seems to suffer from the 3 seater syndrome too. I will add to this post once I do that.
Wow rrnsss... A very nice TD report. Reminds me of Dec 2006, when I was doing the same TDs exercise. Of course, in that time frame, Civic and Magnum diesel were not launched yet.

IMHO, Optra Magnum Diesel seems to be a better overall package than the Cedia. Personally, I liked the airy nature of the Cedia cabin. The Magnum Diesel engine is a bomb though.
Old 26th December 2007, 12:55   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
Any idea about the actual resale value(s), for how old a car? It would be interesting to know the actual depreciation of the Cedia (at least here in Bangalore).

2006 Oct 15K Cedia Sports M.Red going for 6.5Lakhs
Old 26th December 2007, 14:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
2006 Oct 15K Cedia Sports M.Red going for 6.5Lakhs
Shocking!! But if I am in the market for a second hand car.. Cedia @ 6.5l would do nicely !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks