Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2008, 20:08   #1
BHPian

Scorpio mHawk 1100 Kms Review

Hi,

I bought the Scorpio mHawk on 9th Jan and took the vehicle for a long drive to bijapur.

The Journey started from Bangalore(Marathahalli)-> Tumkur-> Chitradurga->Hospet->Kushtagi->Hungunda->Mudhebhihal->Bagewadi->Bijapur. A total of 620 Kms.

At each of the above mentioned point I took a break of 5-10 minutes. I started in the morning around 4:00 AM and reached Bijapur by 3:30PM.

To be frank, I for the first time enjoyed the ride b/w Chitradurga to Hospet. This road is filled with pot holes, But I could easily menivour the vehicle on tihs road with the speed of 90Kms. When I reduced the speed to 50, I used to feel the bumps though.

Since it was a brand new vehicle, I did not dare to cross the 2400 RPM but with this RPM on 5th gear I could go at 100 Kmph.

The ABS worked perfectly, And I am fortunate to be even writing this email. I made a very wrong move of over taking a trunk around the corner, when there was already another vehicle making the same mistake of overtaking another trunk. I just ran almost head on while overtaking, but with ABS working, I could apply break hard and still steer the vehicle to safety. I did the mistake of overtaking around the corner, I beg everyone not to do this mistake.

Well, back to Scorpio, I got a mileage of just about 13Kmpl on highways with Super Diesel from Shell. Whenever I touched the gear, I felt as though I am driving a truck. The gear just vibrates too much. All the high technology that Scorpio claims works intermittently . I saw that the reverse parking sensor worked in patches, The Fog lamps worked in patches, The fuel lid was jamed.

I was very confused when I saw the alloy wheels, The whole wheel had truned into black. I called the dealer and he said that it is expected to trun black. They said that the black color comes to the vehicle indicating that it is trying to negotiate the high temperature of the tyre. I really don't know how the tyres need to behave. I am not sure If I can really trust Tyretronics. Everytime I checked I used to get different reading in the the dash board and in the actual reading in the petrol bunk.

When I reached Bijapur, I took the vehicle for further drives from Bipapur->Guddapur->Bijapur -> Almatti -> Bijapur, a total of 300 Kms, with 50% of road being bad and 10% totally off road. The vehicle responds well on off roads. Again to reiterate, I felt the ride quality to be good except for the Gear part.

In overall, I feel hurt when I look back. I paid 11.2 Lakh on road for this sropio, almost 1.5Lakh more then the earlier version, But I did not completly get back the comfort I was looking for. If they fix the Gear vibration and then ensure that whatever technology they claim works almost everytime, then I would be lot more happy. I hope they will rectify it in the first service.

Cheers!!!
Prakash
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:05   #2
BHPian

Hi,

B/w one more point. The Cruise Control looks deceptive. I could set the cruise control from 50kmph and also at 95 kmph on NH4. But I always felt that when I was using cruise control, it was going much faster then the set value.

Cheers!!!
Prakash
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Alloys turning black will be the brake dust covering it, due to repeated brake usage.
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingadalli View Post
Hi,

B/w one more point. The Cruise Control looks deceptive. I could set the cruise control from 50kmph and also at 95 kmph on NH4. But I always felt that when I was using cruise control, it was going much faster then the set value.

Cheers!!!
Prakash
when my car had cruise control..we never had this problem.,get this checked..
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:57   #5
BHPian

Congrats!!. Good FE.
What colour ? Do post some pictures.

I did not understand about the fog lamps and Parking sensors working intermittently ?. Fog lamps are very low tech. May be some wire / connection is loose. Should be a similar problem with the parking sensor. Get it checked and do keep us posted as to the resolution.
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:59   #6
BHPian

hi,

Now that is interesting comment for Alloy wheel Braking. I had taken extra precaution to avoid breaking or rather hard breaking. I started in the morning 4:00 AM and I reached chitradurga by 7:30AM. With little trafic at this hour I had hardly applied break. I had checked the blackness on wheels in chitradurga. This was even before one hard break. So I really wonder why it might be the case now.

Cheers!!!
Prakash
Old 22nd January 2008, 09:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had checked the blackness on wheels in chitradurga. This was even before one hard break. So I really wonder why it might be the case now.
Muddy water and then some dust settling on it ?

As for FE don't worry it will improve. And yeah the fuel lid acts funny in Scorpio
Old 22nd January 2008, 09:16   #8
BHPian

A friend has a 4 month old Scorpio CRDe. It gives ~ 11-12 in the city and ~ 12-13 on the highway.

If Lingadalli got 13 on his 1st run it is really good.

BTW Lingadalli, get the vibration on the gear shifter checked.
Old 22nd January 2008, 09:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Praksah, congrats on your new buy & also for a nice review. Glad that you are safe & that the near-miss didn't turn into something nasty!

I had always been told that M&M did not have quality issues so I must confess I was surprised to read some of the things you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Alloys turning black will be the brake dust covering it, due to repeated brake usage.
I would think so too although you did mention that you hadn't used them that much - maybe a result of the hard braking during the near-miss?
Old 22nd January 2008, 09:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

congrats lingadalli on you new buy.

thanks God for your decision to buy the top end version with ABS - the situation that you faced are the ones that make a big difference when you ever think if you had over spent - due to under estimation of a safety feature.

the blackening of the wheel is due to the dust from the brake shoe. i get the same in my alto, regardless of hard braking or not. the strange thing is that it happens only on one wheel!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
...I would think so too although you did mention that you hadn't used them that much - maybe a result of the hard braking during the near-miss?
Suman, I guess this will answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanlingadalli
... I had checked the blackness on wheels in chitradurga. This was even before one hard break. So I really wonder why it might be the case now.
Old 22nd January 2008, 09:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Prakash, mileage of 13kmpl is quite good for your first long drive , I got 14kmpl from my safari on the highway drive, the AVL designed engines seem good on their consumption.

Please post some pictures, that will add to this nice writeup.
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:39   #12
BHPian

On that day Atleast, I did not go on Muddy water at all. I had taken extra precaution not to hard break. The one Hard break I mentioned was after chitradurga. And I saw the blackness in Chitradurga. I could infact feel that the oil'sh feel on alloywheel RIM's. I was concerned and called the dealer and he said, the alloywheels behave exactly the way I mentioned. He said that I should see oil'sh all over the RIM's. He said it indicates that the Tyres gained lot of temperature and too cool it off, the oil'sh feel is there. What I don't know is Is there a any lid to put oil for Tyres to cool off. I felt that I am being fooled by the dealer.

I checked the fog lamps when I reached bijapur, On that night, Both the fog lamps where on, and even the Parking sensor's were working. The next day, One of the fog lamp did not light and parking sensors' were not on. and 2 days later, both Parking sensor's and fog lamps are perfectly fine. So that is the reason I said intermittently. I also feel that it might be loose wiring and hope it would be fixed in first service.

Coming to fuel lid, Here is the story. I got my first warning from the Voice Assistance progrm in Scorpio indicating that I am running on reserve fuel in Mudhebhihal. I did not put the fuel there and drove further to my sisters place(About 25Kms from Mudhebhihal). Then I got my second warning at my sisters place. There weren't any bunks there, So I drove till Huvina Hippargi(%0 Kms from Mudhebhihal). Over here, I tried to fill Diesel. To my surprise, the fuel lid on the dash board. The manual pulling of the wire to open the fuel lid given near the back seat also did not help. I had already driven for 50 Kms in reserve and the damn fuel lid is not opening. The mechanic has no idea nor do I have any idea of how else can we open the lid. I moved further to Basavana Bagewadi (Another 12 Kms) and then tried to open the lid forcebly by using a screw. I finally managed to open it. though I had a little scratch on the lid. On reaching home, I called my driver and he fixed the problem in 5 mins by opening the cover given on the back seat and ensuring that the wire sits in the right slot.

My first car was indica and I had got a 25kmpl on my first drive in indica when I drove from Bangalore to bijapur.

But in scorpio I was sad that I only got 13. But looking at the comments above, I need to feel happy that I got more.

Between 3 pics of my mHawk.
Just check my height and imagine me driving Scorpio with rarely reaching the clutch, breaks, accelerator when I pull the seat totally in front.

Cheers!!!
Prakash
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Prakash,
Interesting review on the MHawk---the first on Team-BHP.
If you don't mind, please preview your article before you post it---there are many typos like 'trunk' for 'truck', etc. Another example is " To my surprise, the fuel lid on the dash board.." I guess you meant that it got stuck.
Your images are not visible too.
Please contact Mahindra on the alloy wheels blackening, if the dealer keeps bull****ting you.
Old 22nd January 2008, 13:17   #14
BHPian

I hope the images come correctly this time.

NOTE FROM MOD TEAM - READ THE HOW TO POST PICTURES ANNOUNCMENT BEFORE POSTING PICTURES

Last edited by normally_crazy : 22nd January 2008 at 13:55. Reason: Image links corrected
Old 22nd January 2008, 13:29   #15
BHPian

Hi vnabhi,

Sorry for the typos, I would ensure to do the spell check henceforth.
I was referring to the fuel lid which is present in the rear of Scorpio. The fuel lid could be opened either using the button given on the dash board or by pulling the string near the rear seat of Scorpio. For my bad luck, on that particular day, none of the options worked and I had to force it open using a screw driver.

With regard to Images, It is the first time I am posting the images and I guess it should be visible now in the next/previous post depending on when the moderator approves the post.

The best part of this mHawk is, I thoroughly enjoyed driving this vehicle, but the small nuisance like the one I mentioned in earlier posts really annoy.

Cheers!!!
Prakash

Last edited by normally_crazy : 22nd January 2008 at 13:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks