Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2008, 20:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

So the new Tata truck has finally arrived! Congratulations!
Old 29th January 2008, 20:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Steer, fantastic choice. So what happened to the Lumina now?
Old 29th January 2008, 21:32   #18
BHPian

That's a beauty, something about the streamlined Jaguar shape that I just love. More pics would be nice, both interiors and exteriors.
Old 29th January 2008, 22:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wow..!!! Fantastic car.
Congratulations Steer.
Old 29th January 2008, 22:35   #20
Team-BHP Support

Congratz Steer !!! Its a black beauty alrite
Old 29th January 2008, 23:42   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice looking car !! do keep us updated with more pics and reports
Old 30th January 2008, 00:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi all

Time for a detailed post.

First - how I ended up buying this one. A Jag is not a car that I would recommend to anyone and if someone were indeed planning to buy one I would try to dissuade them to the best of my ability. What goes around, however, has a nasty habit of coming around and now I have one too!

Most of you know the story of how my Lumina now lies in a garage awaiting a new engine. For those who came in late, it rained in Dubai and I drove into a flooded street. The rest, as they say, is a cracked engine block.

Pretty soon I decided I will need to look for another vehicle. I had a budget in mind which stretched to a Chevrolet CSV CR8 at the top end and a Toyota FJ Cruiser at the bottom end.

Two very different vehicles, but thats because I toyed with both options:
1. Sell Lumina, get a replacement, preferably more powerful and slightly more upmarket.

2. Retain the Lumina, send it to the skunkworks to make it meaner, and get a good 4WD as a second car/offroader.
This is when a friend of ours suggested the used car market. He suggested a sparingly used luxury/sports car as my budget was good enough to get a few good brands.

Accordingly I spent a weekend with Gulf News classifieds. Went and (very reluctantly) saw some BMW M3s and some older M5s. I wasnt happy because these machines had been abused and the owners were very very young in most cases. Besides, I've always been for underdogs and an obviously quick car was not what I was looking for - I wanted something relatively unknown, or a sort of sleeper car.

Thats when we saw the ad for the Jag S-Type R while looking for XJRs. The XJRs were stratospherically priced and so out of the question.

This car was perfect in all respects - Jaguar hadnt sold a lot of "R"s in the S-Type range - just about a dozen or two over the years. Here was the perfect sleeper car - unknown except to those in the know, just like my Lumina SS which was often confused with the Lumina S (3.6 litre V6) by those that didnt know better. I BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR THE ENGINE !!!

The mileage at 30k-ish was low for a 2.3 year old car, the owner was a car nut himself and an older chap with several vehicles. This was his 'weekend' car. Hence the fewer miles on the odo.

Still, it was a Jag - a company that was about to be sold, and a model that was about to be discontinued. Truth to be said, I've never liked the S-Type's looks but the R had a certain mean look about it - the grille was different and most importantly it had NO chrome garnish. In black, it looked like a stealth bomber. The curves suddenly took on a menacing tone.

I was sold. We bargained hard and got a really good deal in the end. Around the same price as a Toyota FJ Cruiser, which was the bottom end of my budget.

The Pros so far:

1. Power delivery is amazingly linear, thanks to the supercharger. Power is available on demand, without any fuss.

2. Handles just right, though the springs are a bit on the softer side compared to the Lumina. However the dampers seem to act better than in the Lumina, therefore rough surfaces dont unsettle the car as much as in the Lumina. Ride is much better too.

3. Steering is very responsive. Too responsive because I was used to the Lumina's HEAVY steering.

4. It comes loaded to the gills with everything. Leather, Carbonfibre and Aluminium interiors, great xenon lighting, 6 airbags, 7 speakers, power everything, a carphone, memory seating, pedals and steering, sunroof, blah blah blah blah.

5. I drove a 391 bhp (allegedly) Lumina before this, but the way this car delivers its 400 bhp is another story altogether. It just keeps going on and on and on and on while the Lumina goes in steps.
The Cons:
1. Power delivery is linear - I miss the Lumina's sudden acceleration followed by sedate cruising. Here the power delivery just goes on and on and on - how do I cruise? Damn - I sound really american now.

2. Brakes - are noisy.

3. Tyres need replacement. Thats a big amount - I dont seem to be in the tyrewalla's good books these days.

4. The interiors seem cramped after the Lumina. Since they are more luxurious, I could claim that they are 'cossetting', but the fact remains that legroom - which I had acres of - is now at a premium.

5. No CD loading slot on the dash.

6. More later.

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th January 2008 at 00:54.
Old 30th January 2008, 00:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

jaw droppingly beautiful
Old 30th January 2008, 09:16   #24
BHPian

Congrats Steer, that's a car that many of us can only dream of.

I guess the Lumina stays too... what a way of turning things around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

5. No CD loading slot on the dash.
Hopefully the drive+play should sort out this issue as you may then not use the cd as much?

You forgot to mention that the sub-woofer does not work for phone calls in the car
Old 30th January 2008, 09:27   #25
BHPian

Congrats Steer for the hot babe.Some more pics, please
Old 30th January 2008, 09:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

happy for the Jag, sad for the lumina still waiting for the block!

i can imagine you drive this baby all the way to AD or AL - gain speed; slow down, camera; gain speed; slow down, camera; gain speed; slow down, camera; .... life just goes on!!!

have a great time mate!
Old 30th January 2008, 09:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Steeroid jee. So, a TeamBHPian bags the cat before TATA eh?
Old 30th January 2008, 09:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

This is a the official car of the fat cats.
Old 30th January 2008, 09:49   #29
rippergeo

Congrats on the new Tata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hi all

Time for a detailed post.

The Pros so far:
Handles just right, though the springs are a bit on the softer side compared to the Lumina. However the dampers seem to act better than in the Lumina, therefore rough surfaces dont unsettle the car as much as in the Lumina. Ride is much better too.

Steering is very responsive. Too responsive because I was used to the Lumina's HEAVY steering.

So, Mr I-dont-care-about-handling,AKA steeroid, sees the light .
Admit it Sir, a great handling car is better than a car that needs to be second guessed around corners.

I mean, I get what you say, a car that has to be muscled and forced around the bends, puts hair on your chest and fire in your loins and all that. But what we all need is a nice docile lady who will get kinky just the way you want, when you are looking for spice.

Now to sit back and wait for a sharp, quick witted response from the old man.

Old 30th January 2008, 10:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

hey buddie,thats a machine i used to dream a few years back,jag was always my favourite and congrats on your desert rose.amazing road presence and shape.
ram

Most Viewed