Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2008, 19:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Sumo Grande Test Drive

Hello,

Dunno if it's been posted and this is a repeat, but here's my TD of the new Grande. I don't know how to write a TD report, so swalpa adjust maadi.

So the car shows up, and I take a look at the engine. 2.2 VTT and all that jazz.
Sumo Grande Test Drive-image008.jpg

The turbo is a tiny Garrett VNT/VNAT made in India.
Sumo Grande Test Drive-image010.jpg

The rear seat is suprisingly comfortable. With a 6 ft plus person at the wheel, seated comfortably, my knees didn't touch the front seat. Which says a lot about the leg room and how the Scorpio is going to get it badly.
Sumo Grande Test Drive-image011.jpg

Sumo Grande Test Drive-image017.jpg

Like I mentioned earlier, the last row of seats is pretty good, and you could put a 6 footer in there without too many issues.

Sumo Grande Test Drive-image016.jpg

The car pulls effortlessly from lower revs. With 4 people and the aircon on full blast, you won't notice much missing. The engine is still to be run in, but shows great promise. Torque delivery is smooth, and not scary like the Scorpio. The gearshift was very stiff, being new. The gearknob may look good, but it's a big pain and your hand will not love you for it.

Steering feel is typical Sumo. The car lazily turns a second after the wheel is turned. Stability is just about ok. But I must say, the rear suspension, though leaf-sprung, is rather good. It soaks up the bumps and you can barely tell it has leaves.

Interior finish is just passable. Dash gaps are evident, and though everything is designed well, it's just Tata. The doorpads and inside handles in particular are HORRID.

Paint finish is very good, though. This is something that has been carried over Tata vehicles from the past.

This is a pretty sweet deal at the price. Anand Mahindra is going to have some sleepless nights.

Here's some random shots of the old and the new.

Sumo Grande Test Drive-image019.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Sumo Grande Test Drive-image012.jpg  

Sumo Grande Test Drive-image013.jpg  

Sumo Grande Test Drive-image014.jpg  

Sumo Grande Test Drive-image018.jpg  

Last edited by v1p3r : 8th March 2008 at 19:43.
v1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2008, 19:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
v1p3r : Steering feel is typical Sumo. The car lazily turns a second after the wheel is turned.
Oye, is that how the Sumo Victa felt when you were ripping it at 100+ all the way from Salem to CBE ? And, No - you are not going to get a drive to refresh your memory about the sensitivity of the Power Steering on the Sumo Victa.

Could have continued in your other thread to give a more comprehensive review. But good you took the side-by-side pics. I'd say both look good from the front. But EOD, they are two different models.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2008, 20:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Viper you are learning to put up a test drive report ,lol.Next time you may say about the turning radius ,how you felt when going over a humpetc.
good photos though,

ram
Old 9th March 2008, 01:59   #4
BHPian

Nice one that - the side by side, New vs Old stuff
Old 9th March 2008, 04:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

superb. except the last pics. I had imaigned it (post auto expo) to be in a diff league. but its just as boxy somehow now looks unappealing!
Old 9th March 2008, 12:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good report and nice pics. But some technicalities needs to be included in the test report though.
Old 9th March 2008, 12:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice first clear pictures of the Grande.
Old 9th March 2008, 12:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good report with pics and stuff, but could have been a bit more detailed on aspects such as in-gear acceleration, highway behaviour etc.

However, given that the vehicle is pretty new in the market this is a good first impression. The usability of the last row of seats is going to have a lot to do with the success of the vehicle.
Old 9th March 2008, 18:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Good report with pics and stuff, but could have been a bit more detailed on aspects such as in-gear acceleration, highway behaviour etc.
Thanks. In-gear, well it pulls reasonably well from lower revs. No snatches or jerks even with 4 people in, and the aircon on, like I mentioned. I didn't get the chance to drive it on the highway though.
Old 9th March 2008, 19:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know if the Turbo in the Grande and the 2.2 Safari is the same or different?
Old 9th March 2008, 19:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
superb. except the last pics. I had imaigned it (post auto expo) to be in a diff league. but its just as boxy somehow now looks unappealing!
yup it does look boxy specially from the rear, the safari looks better.
Old 9th March 2008, 20:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I don't know the colour of the Grande in the pictures. RF Motors gave a test drive to a friend in the vehicle of similar colour. This colour did not suit the vehicle and was accentuating the boxiness.

The display Orange and Green colours suited it well and the Grande looked very impressive in those colours.
Old 9th March 2008, 20:25   #13
BHPian

That has to be one of the ugliest rear ends on an automobile ever!
Old 10th March 2008, 09:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
That has to be one of the ugliest rear ends on an automobile ever!
amen to that. i liked the victa a lot better
Old 10th March 2008, 09:31   #15
BHPian

I had been to Manipal motors to book Indica and this new Sumo was on display. It looks very good. It may look boxy in pictures but not same when you see it live. In my opinion it is better looking than Safari and Scorpio will feel the heat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks