Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2008, 23:50   #1
BHPian

Disappointing Palio 1.3MJD (and also CS).

Was contemplating the way to spend 1 hour between my meeting with some friends on Sat evening.
What's better than go and do a test drive a car?
Went straight to Pandit which is on the Sus road in Pune.

Asked abt Palio and Indigo CS.
The salesman blabbered for sometime regarding the features, prices etc.

I asked him the price difference if I were to regsiter the car in Pune, or in talegaon or on PCMC limits.
He was unable to answer it.

-100 points to Pandit.
Or -1000 points.
C'mone man! You should know your finances.

Next sat in CS. I found it to be astetically pleasing.
Good thigh support.
Good view.
Nice.
Then I sat in the front passanger seat and checked the glove comp.
What a pathetic fit and finish!
It was like meeting a lovely lady and when you actually shake hands you find that she hasn't waxed!

Then I checked the boot space.
Was 390 litres which is nice.
No pwer windows, bare dashboard and really lacking some of the features are some of the -ves of the CS.
Perhaps one more variant can be created to cater to the demanding customers.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Next sat in Palio. Was anticipating a heavenly experience.
And what a let down!
The driver seat was quite uncomfortable.
Felt like my view was blocked from all directions - I am short in height at 5.6 and that was the feel I got.
Boring interiors and old designed dashboard etc.
Total disappointment.
Checked the glove comp. WT#?! Did those designers designing the car on new year with the hangover or something like that, is it?!
Rear seats were comfortable - but still not comfortable.
I cant explain. I felt them to be nice, but always had that "could have been better" feeling. Yeah! Its appraisal time in our company!
I asked abt the AC capacity.
The person told 900kgs. But said was not sure.

More WT*!!s
-2058 points for not knowing the tech specs.

Checked the exterior. Tapped the fingers and found that the noise is not same as the old palio.

Asked the person. He said that though its light, its strong.
I asked him whether I can bang my fist on the car (2 years of Martial Arts!). Haa Haa. Immediately he changed tunes and started saying that the old Palio was something else. This Palio is a compromise etc etc.

The Palio test drive vehile arrived.
Had problems while reversing due to my height. Frust! I felt as if nothing is seen.

Nways, on the road, the NHV was horrible - I mean much more than anticipated.
AC is nice with quite even cooling. No decrease in power delivery.
The person again blabbered something about "engine needs run for 5K" or something like that.
For me he was an idiot. So donno if its true or not.

Power delivery was bad. Felt acceleration only near 2K rpm.
Good thing that in the 3rd gear I drove from under 10KMPH (that's what the needle showed) to over 70.
So no frustations of gear change in traffic conditions.

Was searching for some bad roads.
But stupid PMC couldnt even keep a bad patch!

I felt the power steering to be lacking and the car to be quite a dull one.
I attribute my feelings to
1. Pathetic acceleration.
2. Large NVH.
3. Dull power steering.
4. I somehow felt not-free kinda in the car.

The salesman told me that diesels have hydro PS and petrols have electronis PS.
Was the PS talk a BS talk?
Nways, who listen to the salesguy?

--------------

To spend some more time, I just hopped into the Indigo XL.
Man! That's the car I want.
Crisp interior.
And huge, huge space.
I need to do a TD on XL.

---------------

So all in all, quite disappointed with Palio.

This is my 1st review and I hope its fine.

Dont go by my sig, its an old one when I hated palio due to their bad service.
~A.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th March 2008 at 00:49.
Old 15th March 2008, 23:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Could i know which car you own presently?
Old 16th March 2008, 00:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No pwer windows,
you must have been looking at the lower spec model. The higher spec one has power windows in front.

Of course, if you can afford an XL, nothing like it ! but at that price point, there are other worthy alternatives, if space/features arent your only priorities
Old 16th March 2008, 00:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Boring interiors and old designed dashboard etc.
Total disappointment.
Already discussed at large in the other thread.

I would like you to elaborate more on the following points you have made:

-
Quote:
Checked the glove comp. WT#?! Did those designers designing the car on new year with the hangover or something like that, is it?
-
Quote:
Rear seats were comfortable - but still not comfortable.
Huh? It can either be uncomfortable or comfortable.

-
Quote:
I cant explain. I felt them to be nice, but always had that "could have been better" feeling. Yeah! Its appraisal time in our company!
I asked abt the AC capacity.
The person told 900kgs. But said was not sure.
You mean the AC tonnage? I will find that out for you.

-
Quote:
Checked the exterior. Tapped the fingers and found that the noise is not same as the old palio.
Yes it isn't. But quite a new and unheard of approach to check build quality than driving it over potholed roads.

Quote:
Asked the person. He said that though its light, its strong.
I asked him whether I can bang my fist on the car (2 years of Martial Arts!). Haa Haa. Immediately he changed tunes and started saying that the old Palio was something else. This Palio is a compromise etc etc.
Who would let you bang a fist on a brand new car. Forget a brand new car, no one would encourage such an action even on an old car.

Quote:
Power delivery was bad. Felt acceleration only near 2K rpm.
Good thing that in the 3rd gear I drove from under 10KMPH (that's what the needle showed) to over 70.
Thats where the turbo kicks in. Are you sure you accelerated the car from under 10 kmph in 3rd gear and it moved?

Quote:
Was searching for some bad roads. But stupid PMC couldnt even keep a bad patch!
If you have another free weekend, then continue driving on sus road towards sus road, you will find craters there.

Quote:
4. I somehow felt not-free kinda in the car.
Of course the car has to be paid for .

Quote:
This is my 1st review and I hope its fine.
Nice review man. I seriously enjoyed reading it. Makes me want to drive the car as well but I have no time these days :(.

Btw, I have the same question as gemithomas. Do you seriously drive an 800 as mentioned in your profile?
Old 16th March 2008, 00:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is gonna be a loooonnnggg thread..
Old 16th March 2008, 00:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Could i know which car you own presently?
Profile says Maruti 800.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
you must have been looking at the lower spec model. The higher spec one has power windows in front.
For Indigo CS?
Don't think so. Atleast thats what their site mentions.
TATA MOTORS - IndigoCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Of course the car has to be paid for .

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th March 2008 at 00:18.
Old 16th March 2008, 00:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am confused as I find different reviews on the same car contradicting very much.
I would test drive this car for sure when I get time to spare.
Old 16th March 2008, 01:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Profile says Maruti 800.

For Indigo CS?
Don't think so. Atleast thats what their site mentions.
TATA MOTORS - IndigoCS
WHAT THE
I somehow remember reading that the two higher end versions had front PW. I wonder how i could have gotten that impression.

Yeesh. I thought tatas were trying to sell cars based on features. they could have at least thought about this one.

the CS just went a few notches down in my scale ...
Old 16th March 2008, 06:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

O ji, MJD disappointing? Helluz!

My TD experience is completely different. A new FiatFanboy speaking

Magnesium Grey, SD model that is !Or maybe the unsuspecting customer is already lovingly running it in for 5k more km, not knowing that its been redlined several times over. I TD'd it with speedo disconnected.

Now, a modular report as tbhp orders! Please understand my perspective as a indica xeta/alto owner. So those with SUVs may have a diff thought.

Interiors:
Decent. Beige inside, with the dashboard in a different (most wouldnt like!) dark brown/beige/metal AC fascia scheme. But yes, it has the look of a car a gen old. No two ways about it.

Much is said about the old gen tacho/dash but its still decent. And a look at the current Aveo convinces me it isnt that bad either. And how the tacho needle zooms.... !

Ride/Handling:
Not much to comment here. Comfortable, couldnt find any *really bad* spots to test things. Handles well, including a narrow U turn at (I think) 60 where I almost sideswiped a rickshaw! Zilch body roll though the Fiat rep without his seat belt had good body roll.

Steering/Engine/Gear
Quite responsive steering once it gets going. The reverse may be a problem for average guys, but since I'm used to reversing an Indica, this baby tank falls right up the same alley. I refused to reverse it out of the dealer's parking lot. But its not that tough once you get used to it.
And like those who've TD'd the swift diesel, its JUST as sweetly revving. Insane fun albeit with a noticeable turbolag.
Cruises in 3rd at 20ish nicely, though at 10ish it knocks.
Fifth at about 40ish (second gear just as turbo kicked in, I shifted to 5th) was decent as well.
Redlined easily in third, so I must've touched like 80-100 or thereabouts min. Didn't have much road tho.
Another interesting thing. You can't engage reverse till you pull up a sleeve on the gear lever. Very thoughtful.

NVH
Decent but irrelevant. At idle you CAN hear the diesel almost like the SwiftD - its a diesel yaar. But very less, not in an irritating way. And the wheeze of the engine when you redline is naish. That being said, no rattles. No issues with AC on. With ICE, you can safely ignore - as SwiftD owners say. that being said, outside clatter is less unlike the likes of Fabia!

ICE
NA

AC
Chilled decently and little impact on pickup. Reckon it should surive delhi ki garmi (3pm, 45+ degrees) waali roads in style too.

Visibility and ease of use
Front is Decent and rear is only okay. Wouldn't say its great, because I'm after all an Alto guy Definitely above a SwiftD though.
Ease of use is high. Liked some thoughtful things like well placed 12v, rear power windows+child lock in center (for navigator) to operate.
Also, the much read funda about pedals being close together is nonsense - atleast for me. Comfortable enough.

Misc:
Leg and head room was sufficient. Even in rear. In NHCZX, my head touches the roof (i'm 5'11) in the rear seat. Its decent again for a hatchback. That being said, its still a gen old, step in (as in esteem vs SX4) types vehicle.

Overall, would I buy it if I were in the market - hell yeah. SDX is well loaded for its price (5.0x OTR Delhi).

even bigger reason: Half the parts are videshi, from the rear windscreen to the stuff in engine compartments thats from either poland or brazil.

Interesting funda: Salesman was trying to push it to new customers given the tank like build. In the 20min I was in the showroom, the bonnet must've been opened/closed five-six times for the sound fx!!

PPS: I'm waiting for your Indigo XL report. Kahan dicor with heavier XL body aur kahan MJD. Jao try kar lo, hum phir poochenge!
Old 16th March 2008, 09:08   #10
BHPian

More -ve abt the cars (both the cars)/pandit auto...
1. Didnt have a cup holder.
2. When I asked abt the mobile/laptop charger unit, the guy advised me to go to Narayan Peth to fit the things. He was not able to direct me to some particular fellow who would do all the fittings.
3. For P1.3 -> The power win switches looked so very pathetic. There should be a well integrated unit of door handle + PW switches.

I forgot to ask the sales guy abt the eletrical warantee and whether adding mobile/lt charge would make it void.

I current have M800. For past 25 years or so, I had Mahindra Jeep and a couple of Ambies before the current M800. So I have my own idea of a spacious car. M800 or P1.3 doesnt fit in it.
You may call me biased. But then to each his own.
And reviews are always the personal opinions.
Old 16th March 2008, 09:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

I tend to disagree on your view about CS . For that kind of price , I feel its good if not great .

& about Palio's engine , is it really that slow ?

& about the different drumming sound (LOL !) on the new Palio , its coz they have used thinner sheet metal to reduce the overall weight and thus improve on the efficiency.

I have more things to talk about which I will , but right now if I do that , I might miss my flight .

PS : This is gonna be a loon thread
Old 16th March 2008, 09:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
More -ve abt the cars (both the cars)/pandit auto...
1. Didnt have a cup holder.
2. When I asked abt the mobile/laptop charger unit, the guy advised me to go to Narayan Peth to fit the things. He was not able to direct me to some particular fellow who would do all the fittings.
So I have my own idea of a spacious car. M800 or P1.3 doesnt fit in it.
You may call me biased. But then to each his own.
And reviews are always the personal opinions.
Cup holder? Palio did have space (but not cup shape like alto does - which imo is a bit thin!) for a cup/bottle ahead of the rear PW switches.
It does have a 12v ciggy lighter socket - what else do you need for mobile charging? Laptop could (i havent tried) use the same - I have no experience in this though.

And installation can only void warranty IF you cut OEM wiring. With couplers, you get the job done - that's how ICE is done too IMO. Where's the issue?

PS: Like your bold section indicates, its a personal choice. Au contraire I liked the door locks on the SDX - very nice idea, although lacking a click/solid feel. So what are you now considering?
Old 16th March 2008, 09:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am confused as I find different reviews on the same car contradicting very much.
I would test drive this car for sure when I get time to spare.
Right . Each one has different views , different tastes .
Take me for an example , i liked the fake wooden trim on getz CRDi . But most others almost hate it.
So go for a test drive .

Last edited by undead : 16th March 2008 at 09:39.
Old 16th March 2008, 11:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Take me for an example , i liked the fake wooden trim on getz CRDi . But most others almost hate it.
Have u seen older Getz interiors with titanium silver center console...?
Old 16th March 2008, 12:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Have u seen older Getz interiors with titanium silver center console...?
I have seen the Getz prime petrol only ,but i am not comparing them . I never had a wooden trim in my older cars like Ikon flair, Santro , Old esteem .
It kind of new for me and its different. So i like it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks