Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2008, 18:00   #1
BHPian

MyNewHatch - SwiftVxi

Dear all,
This is my first post in T-bhp.After using my santro(Still retaining) for close to 5 years and clocking 70000kms, i looked for my second car.

My Primary requirements were
1.Comfort and easy power steering drive in city limits
2.Descent mileage
3.Good Driver Ergonomics and a Driver's car
4.Good After sales service and good resale value

This time my search was exhaustive viz., Palio1.6,Getz1.1/1.3,Swift(P),WagonR(P),UV-A,spark,i10

Palio1.6 being a pure driver's car did not get good mileage(arnd 9) and After sales service/Resale were the factors not to consider,else it is an excellent buy in 4.6Lakh(After discounts-Chennai)

Getz 1.1 was very good but A/c effect was poor on 35-36 deg temp,Getz1.3 had excellent pickup but mileage is a concern(Also having a santro already, i had opinion to try some other brand aswell)

i10 was very nice to see and spacious but drivability was poor than my old santro(2000 model)

Wagon-R was very good city car but lagging the handling above 80+kms speed

UV-A(Lack of power and pickup) and spark(less leg room for driver) were nice to drive but did not want to turn-up to GM with the price fluctuation and remote station service issues

The left out car to my knowledge was swift and i have taken the TD of Both petrol and diesel.The Diesel is the winner for highways and Petrol found opt for my city driving(Around 30 kms/day).The handling was very good in both petrol and diesel but i have chosen petrol.
Knowing the horror stories of Rattlings/Clutch slippages/Quality issues from swift, i still wanted to try this hatch and i now feel my decision is right.

Before my swift delivery, i have also taken TD of dzire(only diesel was available for TD) and observed the rear seat is more comfortable in swift than dzire(Due to seat curved at edges and slightly inclined at back).Also the protruding center arm rest(in vxi) was uncomfortable.My petrol was not available for test drive.My doubt was whether the pick-up of swift petrol and dezire petrol will be same(atleast 25 kgs added to the boot) and rear visibility is poor than swift(due to inclined speaker mounted parcel tray)

Finally, i have chosen the Swift Vxi(Azure grey) 2008 with an hand-over reading of 35kms at the delivery date.
Since most of our members have discussed a lot about this hatch, i am not going to cover any of the looks/engine/transmissions please.But i want to compare with my upgrade from santro(Though in difft segment)

1.Driver and co-passenger space is huge and offers good support(I found my leg Elbow space(6' height) hitting the front A/c switch of my santro and while 5th gear is engaged, it will slightly touch the legs rested in the dead pedal),In my new swift i feel relaxed driving always(So far clocked 200kms)
2.Rear is cramped considering UV-A/Getz/Palio but better than santro(Most of times i will only use the car , so manaegable) also in TD, i checked sitting in the rear (total 3 ) and found descent.
3.Ride and Handling is better than my santro(Obviously being 1.3L) and expecting mileage to be in-line with santro(12-13km/l)will update you folks after 1000kms
4.Observed a less boot space in swift / plastics feel low quality in swift /Good cooling effect(in both cars) /swift Stock bulbs are not much powerful but feel enough for city driving
5.The gear shift of swift is good(As against many reporting 1st/reverse gear engagement) may be an improvement?!
6.The lack of dead pedal against hyundai is not much felt and did not find any issue so-far(Have to check in long drives)

Booked the hatch and got in 3 weeks of time and the Delivery process was smooth and the car is now 6 days old baby ,still in the run-in period.So-far no issues and maintaining the rpm range within 2000.

A Special thanks to all Tbhp folks who shared their views was very helpful in deciding my swift.

Above views are my personal opinion only and not intended to hurt any members owning other cars.
Old 28th April 2008, 20:21   #2
BHPian

First, welcome to TBhp.
Second, congrats on your new Swift VXi. Grey sure looks good on the Swift. Remember: pictures always complement a new ownership post well.

Yes, do maintain the run-in period, because after the first service you ain't going to go slow with this machine. A swift literally begs to be driven fast. And, your 30km of daily commute is going to be over even before you realize.

Santro is another good car. Had owned one before I made my shift to swift. The one thing I liked about Santro was the way the spare wheel is placed in the boot (gives you extra space to load those tidbits, small bags, anything you want to hide ).

Enjoy your ride!
Old 28th April 2008, 20:45   #3
BHPian

Pics of my Azure grey swift vxi

MyNewHatch - SwiftVxi-swift-front.jpg

MyNewHatch - SwiftVxi-swift-back.jpg

MyNewHatch - SwiftVxi-swift-dash.jpg

MyNewHatch - SwiftVxi-swift-side-view.jpg

MyNewHatch - SwiftVxi-swift-wheel-snap.jpg

MyNewHatch - SwiftVxi-swift-hatch.jpg
Old 28th April 2008, 20:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Welcome Naga, enjoy your stay. Enjoy your new car too.
Old 28th April 2008, 21:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Naga welcome to the Swift Club! Enjoy your ride!
Old 28th April 2008, 22:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase.

Can someone clarify what the following new status indicators are? They're not there in the Swifts (Vxi?) before the facelift.
Attached Thumbnails
MyNewHatch - SwiftVxi-temp.jpg  

Last edited by theMAG : 28th April 2008 at 22:04.
Old 28th April 2008, 23:06   #7
BHPian

I dont own a swift, but wild guesses would be :
the indicator in the mid pod looks like the Airbag (even though Vxi doesnt come with one, I guess),
the one on the top right pod seems like Car Lock or something (maybe to indicate the doors are locked)
dont know about the one on the bottom right :(
the steering indicator could be something to do with EPS. i.e. if it fails this will stay on.

Swift owners please clarify
Old 28th April 2008, 23:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post

Can someone clarify what the following new status indicators are? They're not there in the Swifts (Vxi?) before the facelift.
in old swift we have a eps sign this is the new sign for the electronis power stering.
Old 28th April 2008, 23:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

the lock indicator on the right is for the i cat system.
and the other two i dont no.
Old 29th April 2008, 11:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:

1. The first one on the left is the EPS
2. The lock icon is for the iCATs
3. The key icon is something new, not present in the SX4 too.
Old 29th April 2008, 11:50   #11
BHPian

the key icon is there in the old swifts as well.. just doesn't light up at all... but its there in the display.

mtnrajdeep has summarized the rest.
Old 29th April 2008, 13:06   #12
BHPian

Hi Jaggu,karanraheja,theMAG,kkdelhi - Thanks for your wishes.
@kkedlhi - Yes, I like old santro than the new one interms of drivability and seat fabric quality.Hyundai in the latest eRLX has done lots of cost cutting measures to position the market for i10
Any one throw light whether the compressor noise sometimes(resonance-booming sound) while A/C is switched on is normal in swift?I checked with service team and they are not finding anything wrong.
Anyhow, i dont plan to install ICE till my first service is completed and watching for any strange noise/rattles but not found sofar.Also the horn sound is audible inside the cabin(Doubt whether it is common in swift?)
Old 29th April 2008, 16:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

@naga_SwiSan congrats on the new Swift!

In my petrol Swift,
- The A/C kicking in does create a bit of a sound/change in engine note.
- The Horn is pretty audible inside the cabin. (Was not in my old Palio). I'm thinking of not upgrading to Hella Redgrills (I had them on my old Palio) because of this -- if the stock horns sound this loud, I don't think I can take the sound of better horns inside the cabin.

@theMag, except for that unlit key icon, all the other indicators are there in my new Swift ZXi. Dunno what the unlit key icon is for.
Old 29th April 2008, 23:21   #14
BHPian

The sign on the tacho for EPS makes sense.
Can't make out what the sign on the speedo is about.
The key icon could be for the 'key not removed', though it features as a beep in my swift (just prior to the facelift).
The lock icon is definitely the immobilizer sign.

And hey, can't ever recall having seen the 'low fuel' lamp on my swift. Seems to be present in the new one (just next to the 'E' on the fuel gauge).

Naga_SwiSan, can you confirm the above?

As for your queries, the slight change in engine sound (for a split second) is there. As for the horn, it is pretty loud on the outside, so has to have some effect inside too.

Last edited by kkdelhi : 29th April 2008 at 23:22.
Old 30th April 2008, 15:26   #15
BHPian

Hey guys I own a Swift too, but I feel like the seat height is not up to the mark, yes I agree there is a seat height adjuster in Zxi models but what about Lxi and Vxi? I am 5.11" and I try to peek out while reversing it seems to be like am down below and I question guys who are shorter, do you guys agree?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks