Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 15:49   #16
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the Safari!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir11224 View Post
I would also like to ask all safari 2.2 owners do they get a burning smell especially while reversing with heavy load?
Reading this, the other thread i had just read came to mind-
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom77 View Post
Was very confused to see a 140bhp 320nm bull struggling to reverse back at a steep slope. Any clue why this would have happened ?
Is the 2.2 having a weak clutch? Any other owners had any problems?
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir11224 View Post
I would also like to ask all safari 2.2 owners do they get a burning smell especially while reversing with heavy load?Kindly help me out ..
Yes, I am getting this. Looks like the clutch burning. Remember guys, I was telling you about this issue in my ownership thread. Have experienced the same once again while at the workshop of the sunfilm guys while reversing.When I had to rev up the engine to run past any reasonably high obstacles, this burning smell comes. Looks like a defect. Shishir, tell me if you find a solution.
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

To reverse this 140bhp 2 ton+ elephant up a slope without burning your clutch you need to put the handbrake ON, slot into reverse, build up the revs to 1500-1800rpm to build up enough torque, then as you release the clutch @ approx 15-1800rpm you release the handbrake. Doing this will enable you to avoid riding the clutch up a slope by building up sufficient torque for the uphill motion and will generate enough momentum to allow the vehicle to proceed uphill without continuous use of the clutch.
If you stop midway on your way up - then continue the same procedure again. Make sure you maintain acceleration uphill to prevent your vehicle from stalling.

If you ride the clutch you risk burning your clutch plate on any vehicle and the safari is no exception.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 2nd June 2008 at 17:59.
Old 2nd June 2008, 18:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

belated congrats on your new safari Sishir123456.
Quitte a good mileage on your new safari. Im sure you are enjoying it as much as most of us 2.2 owners on tbhp. Good luck.
BTW is it ex/lx/vx / 4x4 ?
Do post pics.
Old 2nd June 2008, 18:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom77 View Post
Yes, I am getting this. Looks like the clutch burning. Remember guys, I was telling you about this issue in my ownership thread. Have experienced the same once again while at the workshop of the sunfilm guys while reversing.When I had to rev up the engine to run past any reasonably high obstacles, this burning smell comes. Looks like a defect. Shishir, tell me if you find a solution.
Not a defect - you need to get your technique right. It has over 320nm of torque, which is quite a handful in low gears. Remember the 2.2 has a 1st gear that is meant only for takeoff - reverse is lower than 1st (normally) and so needs to be handled carefully to avoid burnout.

Starting off on a slope (whether forward or backward) is best achieved with the use of the handbrake - in any vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks