Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2008, 22:08   #1
BHPian

Got hands on new Safari 2.2 VTT

Took delivery of Safari 2.2 VTT on 15th May from Auto Matrix,Mangalore.I got the following offer though no cash discount.
1.Upgrade to DVD MP3 player(Sony DV 2000)
2.Teflon coating
3.Antirust treatment
4.Full Matting,perfume,mud flaps.
In addition got Infinity speakers fitted with my cost.Cooling film is pending.I drove the vehicle for about 450 Km. on the same day of delivery from Mangalore to Dharwad.The very next day took the vehicle to Bangalore on official visit and returned yesterday night.Until today have clocked 1480 Km.and the first service is due and should get it done this week.Some of my observations
1.Engine:Super silent at idle and at speeds of 90-100 Km/hr plus.However,there is Krr sound between say 60-80 Km./hr.
2.Have recorded a milage of 12.40 Km./litre.Have used only normal desiel as per many recommendations on this forum.
3.The vehicle cruises effortlessly upto 120 Km./hr but above that it changes slightly.
4.The vehicle is very stable and handling better on highway than the Scorpio.
5.The braking is adequate but not in the class of Innova.
6.There is some air passing through in between the front doors and at particular angle and it is irritating.It is a manufacture defect and need attention by Tata people immediately.I spoke with the dealer and he said that they will fix it at the time of 1st service.Kindly share owners experiences on this front.

This vehicle is an upgrade from my previous vehicle Scorpio and i am very happy until now.Kindly give suggestion on sun film,whether to go for 3M or V-cool.I want total transparent film as the vehicle colour is black.I would also like a debate on comparison of Safari 2.2 VTT engine and that of Scorpio M Hawk engine.Which one is better and refined and by how much(may be rate it on 1-10 scale).I will post pictures next week.
Old 21st May 2008, 23:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to BHP Manohar. This is a first here I think. We have a Scorpio user moving to a Safari.

Is it me only or do I suddenly see a huge number of Safari's being added here every week.

1500 KM's in a weeks time - Good Good, You are a mile muncher and Safari is best doing that.
Old 21st May 2008, 23:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mate!

And yes, I believe you are the first member here who has moved from Scorpio to Safari.

I hope you will give us a good report on the new vehicle and also a comparison on how it fares with the older one.

Happy motoring, mate! :-)
Old 21st May 2008, 23:54   #4
BHPian

welcome to Team BHP Manohar.
congrats on your new car.

Drive safe
Old 22nd May 2008, 00:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Manohar, the Safari 2.2 is on its way to become Team BHPs favourite car. The number of 2.2s are on the rise on the forum. Glad you are enjoying the experience. Do give us your feedback after your first service interval.
Old 22nd May 2008, 01:26   #6
BHPian

Congrats Manohar on your new Black Beast 2.2 VTT.
I think many of them would be interested to know the reason for the upgradation.

Regarding the sun film you can try 3M, medium shade, think its ST 35.

hope to receive Dharwad Pedhas
Old 22nd May 2008, 01:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Get RE35 from 3M. Its the metallic series.
I've got the RE50 on my safari for the sake of legality and Im not happy.
Old 22nd May 2008, 08:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Manohar,

How do you rate the Safari steering compared to that of the Scorpio?
Old 22nd May 2008, 08:51   #9
BHPian

Got my hands on safari 2.2 VTT

The reasons for upgrading to safari are
1.Drove scorpio for five years and wanted a change.I must say that i had absolutely no problem drive those 1 lakh km.
2.I don`t like the new scorpio because of its new styling and especially the bumpers.Second,the M Hawk VLX is very steeply priced and felt not value for money.
3.I am a Horticulturist and involved in production of vegetable and flower seeds for export and travel to my farm and rural areas.Every year my overseas clients visit us to inspect the seed production plots.Many are tall and well built and would feel congested in middle row of Scorpio.You all know that the middle row of safari is the best in class with ample leg room.
4.Improved new engine,middle row seating and pricing(Value for money)were the reasons why i upgraded to safari

Lastly,do give me your address and shall be sending you the famous Dharwad pedhas.
Old 22nd May 2008, 08:52   #10
BHPian

congrats Manohar. welcome to the dicor club.
Old 22nd May 2008, 08:58   #11
BHPian

Got hands on safari 2.2 VTT

The steering of scorpio was fragile and scary at high speeds whereas that of safari is stiff.I feel safari steering is slightly better.
Further,when i test drove the new VLX with M Hawk engine,the steering was stiff and the person told me that it has been corrected.
Another point that comes to mind while talking about the steering is the turning radius.The scorpio is better with 5.5 m. turning radius against safari`s 6.0 m.
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

WOW.... this is certainly the first on t-bhp which moved from scorpio to safari. And yes, it's raining safaris on t-bhp
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manohar View Post
I would also like a debate on comparison of Safari 2.2 VTT engine and that of Scorpio M Hawk engine.Which one is better and refined and by how much(may be rate it on 1-10 scale).
I have limited experience & that is of test drives of Safari 2.2, Scorpio 2.6 & Scorpio 2.2.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being best, the following is how I rate:

1. Scorpio 2.2 - Rating 7 - Power delivery with least lag. Drivability in city is good & engine noise the least of lot.

2. Safari 2.2 - Rating 6 - Power delivery has slight lag but turbo makes up with the surge. Noisy engine, the vehicle feels like a true SUV.

3. Scorpio 2.6 - Rating 3 - Power delivery has marked lag & picks up at higher revvs. Feels sluggish & handling does not inspire confidence.

Last edited by liberal : 22nd May 2008 at 09:22.
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:40   #14
BHPian

Congratulations Manohar! The Safari has now started flooding the forums.

Which variant did you get? You did not mention that I suppose!
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and Welcome to the club manohar, you seem to be burning the rubber quite quickly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks