Old 1st July 2008, 23:01   #46
Senior - BHPian

Prabhuav, there is one S10 - 2003 model for sale, check here for details:
Yahoo! Groups
Old 2nd July 2008, 10:34   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
A K&N replacement filter has been installed. I decided against a conical universal filter since these designs tend to suck hot air from the engine compartment.

The Palio under bonnet temperature seems to be really hot. When I open the bonnet of a hot engine and put my hand on the stock air cleaner box, it is really hot. I decided that the stock air box with its cold air pipe was the best engineered system to draw relatively cool air into the air filter. I also removed the fiberglass insulation pad under the bonnet, which helped somewhat.

I plan to add a cold air inlet by cutting the driver's side front fender. But this will be later.
Gaurav,

I agree with you on the engine bay being very hot and it's implications on installing a universal air filter.

Here are two threads on getting a proper CAI on a 1.6. I suggest that you have a look at these before you proceed with your plans for a air filter mod.
I can safely say that I am very happy with the CAI and would recommend it to folks who are planning for an air filter mod.
Old 2nd July 2008, 12:07   #48
BHPian

Gaurav,
If the cops give you any trouble with the KA registration and if you want to dispose off your beauty I'd be most willing!
I've read about your 340 and 550 projects and must say that i'm impressed with your attention and passion to details!
Keep us posted on your auto activities.
Old 2nd July 2008, 13:14   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Gaurav,
If the cops give you any trouble with the KA registration and if you want to dispose off your beauty I'd be most willing!
driving an out of state reg vehicle is not an issue in Delhi -- at least that's my impression. It's not as bad it is in Bangy/Chennai.

@Viper: I second what you have mentioned about Gaurav's attention to detail. I also would love to buy a used vehicle that has been maintained by an auto enthusiast, such as Gaurav
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Gaurav,

I agree with you on the engine bay being very hot and it's implications on installing a universal air filter.

Here are two threads on getting a proper CAI on a 1.6. I suggest that you have a look at these before you proceed with your plans for a air filter mod.I can safely say that I am very happy with the CAI and would recommend it to folks who are planning for an air filter mod.
K.S.,

I really like the universal filter install done by you and the other palio S10. It is a good cold air induction kit with a fully enclosed filter to avoid inhaling hot air.

But the way I figured it was one of the following:

Pay 3500 and drop in the filter within 5 minutes. Retain stock reliable air box with a very well protected cold air inlet.

Pay 10,000. Find a quality installer, do a 2 hour install, and hope that the installer knows what they are doing. Make sure that the brackets are fitted such that the air filter housing does not hit the timing belt cover or other engine compartment internals.

So I went with the first option. Unfortunately there will not be a nice intake growl under full throttle. But maybe I will figure out some way to get rid the stock air box at a later date. I am trying to figure out if I can fit an entire exposed conical filter within the fender cavity along with a nice intake grill on the fender.

Viper,
Thanks for the offer, but there are no issues like that in Delhi. Not going to sell the GTX anytime soon. It is just too much fun to drive.

Best regards,

Gaurav
Old 3rd July 2008, 16:02   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Gaurav,
I've read about your 340 and 550 projects and must say that i'm impressed with your attention and passion to details!
Keep us posted on your auto activities.
Hi Viper,
He's taken so much trouble & spent so much money and moreover so much Time to reburbish the car. I do not think he will even think of selling it for a couple of years to come
Old 10th July 2008, 19:59   #52
BHPian

front end denting & paint

Just wanted to update the progress of my new pocket rocket.

Front bonnet, both fenders dented and painted. Front bumper painted. Front grille painted black. New headlight clusters installed.

Also installed Hella red frame horns that are really loud!
Attached Thumbnails
Palio 1.6 GTX – Initial review of a used 2002 model-p6270672.jpg  

Palio 1.6 GTX – Initial review of a used 2002 model-p6270673.jpg  

Palio 1.6 GTX – Initial review of a used 2002 model-p7050839.jpg  

Palio 1.6 GTX – Initial review of a used 2002 model-p7050840.jpg  

Old 10th July 2008, 21:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Looking Awesome.
Has the Denting/Painting Job done? Asking because I can see small gap between the Bonnet and the Headlights on the LHS.
Also, the ORVM's are Black colored. See if you can install the body colored ones. Or why not get these painted (if possible) from the same person who did the denting & painting.
Adding the Sun film on the glasses would be chocolate sauce on Vanilla Ice cream.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 10th July 2008 at 21:25.
Old 10th July 2008, 22:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Looking Awesome.
Has the Denting/Painting Job done? Asking because I can see small gap between the Bonnet and the Headlights on the LHS.
Also, the ORVM's are Black colored. See if you can install the body colored ones. Or why not get these painted (if possible) from the same person who did the denting & painting.
Adding the Sun film on the glasses would be chocolate sauce on Vanilla Ice cream.
You are right about the gap, and I am not happy about it. I did the denting and painting at a shop very near my house on the recommendation of the guy that sold me the Automech system.

Unfortunately, I am not happy with the work quality, and he was very expensive. He charged me 10,000 for denting the front fender, bonnet, and repainting both fenders, bonnet, bumper. What do you think about this price? Is it reasonable or did I get ripped off?

I kind of like the black rear view mirrors. Black nicely contrasts with silver. Also getting them scraped is a daily event, so I decided against painting.

Sun film to follow. Just have not had time to get this done.

Stay tuned for the Automech install and review next.....
Old 10th July 2008, 23:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure of the 10K, But when I had inquired with Hyundai for Denting & Painting my Santro entirely, as there were dents everywhere, they had quoted 25K. Accordingly, it looks slightely expensive. It is ok if this was charged by the Showroom.

Whats an Automech?
Old 10th July 2008, 23:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I am not sure of the 10K, But when I had inquired with Hyundai for Denting & Painting my Santro entirely, as there were dents everywhere, they had quoted 25K. Accordingly, it looks slightely expensive. It is ok if this was charged by the Showroom.

Whats an Automech?
Automech is a Mumbai-based company which produces free-flow exhausts.
Old 10th July 2008, 23:34   #57
BANNED

Excellent job and excellent write-up too. I chose a palio for the very same reason. i.e. build quality. For me this post goes as one of the best written posts on this forum.

Enjoy your drive & do get the logo on the front grille fixed.
Old 11th July 2008, 01:08   #58
Senior - BHPian

This maybe too late for you, but KJA Anthony Garage at East of Kailash does a good job of denting and painting and he charged me exactly half of the dealer charges! He did my car and my friend's Indigo (both major works, Indigo Driver's door had to be replaced eventually).

The owner, Augustine takes interest in his work. And I have to thank iraghava (Ishan) for the telling me about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
You are right about the gap, and I am not happy about it. I did the denting and painting at a shop very near my house on the recommendation of the guy that sold me the Automech system.

Unfortunately, I am not happy with the work quality, and he was very expensive. He charged me 10,000 for denting the front fender, bonnet, and repainting both fenders, bonnet, bumper. What do you think about this price? Is it reasonable or did I get ripped off?

I kind of like the black rear view mirrors. Black nicely contrasts with silver. Also getting them scraped is a daily event, so I decided against painting.

Sun film to follow. Just have not had time to get this done.

Stay tuned for the Automech install and review next.....
Old 11th July 2008, 08:17   #59
rippergeo

@redMM- going by your history of insane mods, can we expect a turbo/SC in this one? would be nice to see a pocket rocket going faster than the average rocket

Old 11th July 2008, 10:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Gaurav

Paint quality looks fine from the pictures but the price is a bit steep.

Anyways now get the bonnet aligned so that gap between headlight and bonnet is vanished.

and it shouldnt be a big task for any experienced denter.

BTW,you have made this car as good as new.

Nice Effort.

Most Viewed