Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2005, 13:17   #1
BHPian

palio d first 350 kms

hi all,

took charge of my palio d 1.9L hazel grey elx from anuroop on thursday - been busy driving - so hence no posts since thursday...

total deal 5.4 lakhs - 1.84L down payment - 7K emi for 60 months...22k discount

have driven 350 kms of which about 200 on the expressway to khandala and back - remaining city driving...

first impressions - let me get the bad stuff out of the way...

seat position not as comfortable as the esteem esp the back rest - palio seat pokes you just below the 'S' of your spine rather than supporting it -

the steering column material is a little too clammy and slippery...

the gear box cloth cover has popped off

front seats creaking at the rails and parcel tray vibrating after removing the plastic ...

tyres not meant for the kind of performance that this car can give

the good stuff -

well, the car feels like dream - superb acceleration and feel for a diesel - in 3rd gear and above - cannot believe that it is not a petrol - no need to downgear at all to climb slopes - and absolutely no difference with 4 people in the car and the ac on!

that's the power of 1.9L, i guess

genuine 120+ cruising capabilities - i was surprised how great this car was at this speed - superb handling, ride - effiiciency - but lot of road feedback -

was sure the car could get to much more - the rev meter was hardly at 3K at 120kmph - however chickened out because of the tyres - no confidence on those concrete roads of the expressway!

already made a down payment for neo alloys with tubeless tyres a set of 4 14" (alloys and tyres) for 14200! need some guidance for what size tyres to use - want balance between FE and handling. the tyres that were on offer were goodyear/pirelli tubeless

i read that neo alloys are as good as the foreign ones - except in choice of looks - any background on neo? - do they do hardcore r&d and stuff like stress (FEM) analysis etc - forgot to ask the neo guy at the autoshow stall

FE was on par with expectations - but too soon too tell - let me give you a 5K report on that...suffice too say that rs1K has taken me all these 350 kms with the ac on all the time - i will be refilling her up today - turbo ofcourse!

i am happy -

hope to laugh all the way to the bank as well - sure feels good to fill 33.4 rs per litre fuel hehehe
Old 28th February 2005, 14:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream
genuine 120+ cruising capabilities - i was surprised how great this car was at this speed - superb handling, ride - effiiciency - but lot of road feedback - was sure the car could get to much more - the rev meter was hardly at 3K at 120kmph - however chickened out because of the tyres - no confidence on those concrete roads of the expressway!
Ouch! Give it some respect in the beginning. Dont push too hard for first 2000 kms. Good that tyres scared you off
Old 28th February 2005, 16:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Cream

First of all, congragulation on your new buy.

Please don't use heavy foot on the pedal till atleast 1500KMS.
Quote:
the gear box cloth cover has popped off
Are you talking about the carpet on the floor around the gear lever? I think the carpet is not glued at that place on any Palio car.
Quote:
front seats creaking at the rails and parcel tray vibrating after removing the plastic ...
I think this is for your particular car. Apart from the rattling of the rear parcel tray (because of loading with heavy speakers), i don't hear any other sounds in my car.

About the tyres, I upgraded to 14", 175 tyres on Fiat alloys. And the handling is damn good.

The average FE i get in city with AC 100% is 13 KMPL
Old 28th February 2005, 16:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
total deal 5.4 lakhs - 1.84L down payment - 7K emi for 60 months...22k discount
Did you get 22k discount on 5.4 lakhs or did it come to 5.4 after discount?

Mine costed 5.5 lacs (with 5 alloys and tyres upgrade) on road in Hyderabad on August 25th, 2004. I did not get any discounts except for Rs.7000 worth free accessories.
Old 28th February 2005, 17:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your buy cream!
and like the others said, have mercy on the engine for atleast the first 1500kms.
Old 28th February 2005, 19:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Ouch! Give it some respect in the beginning. Dont push too hard for first 2000 kms. Good that tyres scared you off
wow, didn't know about that bit - thought it was only for the older cars...

will curb my enthu for the next few weeks i guess

the discount was 5,4 lakhs less 22k...i don't know how they work it out - but finally the deal was as mentioned. i guess after calculating the loan amount - the final payment to be made is less by 22k.

s_a, regarding gearbox - it is the leather like cloth that covers the gear shift - below the knob - it is attached to the bottom of the knob with some plastic holder. the plastic holder with the cloth is loose -
Old 28th February 2005, 20:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

When I sum up all my payments, mine's also close to yours, a couple of thousands give or take.
Quote:
s_a, regarding gearbox - it is the leather like cloth that covers the gear shift - below the knob - it is attached to the bottom of the knob with some plastic holder. the plastic holder with the cloth is loose -
Well, mine is still intact.
Old 28th February 2005, 21:10   #8
BHPian

btw, 1 more thing -

the front right break has developed a irritating squel - will sort it out at anuroop tomorrow
Old 28th February 2005, 22:26   #9

Palio 1.9

hi guys
i also have a palio1.9 and have done 13000+
the car is just superb
there are no words to describe
i would suggest that pls put MOBIL1 SUPER SYNTHETIC OIL
as soon as you can . it is just amazing
i got a bit late , i put this oil after 9000
the performance has changed a lot
differnce in milage, power and smoothness

other thing pls keep a check on the flooring in the rainy days
i just wonder from where does the water come and i have noticed in some of the other palios too. it comes when u pass by a water puddle or something like that

i had put 15'"alloys and michellin pilot precedas, they were just amazing and it did not affect the milage or power but the right was hard . i was ok with it and enjoying it but had to change them to 14" cause my dad was not happy with it

but frankly speaking it is truely the best diesel car in its class

well....any one knows whether do we get a TURBO CHARGER for the car
Old 28th February 2005, 22:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Aren't Michelin Pilot Precedas unpredictable and lairy in the wet?

Cream, take it easy with the new Diesel engine pal, run it in for, I would say 3000 kms. You'd probably regret once the engine starts ageing.

Off topic, of course, does it make sense to go in for a used Palio 1.9D, say about a 2003 done less than 20,000 kms or so. FIAT's appalling service combined with "Aircraft Technology" prevents me from considering one.
Old 28th February 2005, 23:11   #11

yes u r right ported head they are a bit unpredictable thats what i have form couple of my friends i could now experience them as i did not used them in the rainy
Old 5th March 2005, 20:18   #12
BHPian

I hv one which has done 22000 kms.. its quite smooth except some niggling problems... I guess for the price they should also extend the warranty... they r only offering 1 yr for now...

I find this car much better than few of the other petrol cars like Santro, Zen....

Any idea what are they doing about Euro 3 norms???

Last edited by Rodeo : 5th March 2005 at 20:21.
Old 5th March 2005, 22:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

If i am right it is a E3 car.
Hey Cream enjoy your car.
Its one of my favorites and dont revv till 1500km.
Get 185 size tyres - eagle NCTs
They are the best upgrade.
Any way enjoy your car..
Old 5th March 2005, 23:23   #14
BANNED

Hey Cream,

Congrats on your buy.

Dont drive above 80kph as the car is in the run in period. Dont rev above 1500RPM and dont brake hard.

Is your car BSIII??

Whta tyres does it have presently?

Cheers,

Maybach.
Old 6th March 2005, 23:13   #15
BHPian

the tires that they came on were the 165/80R13 stock bridgestone radials.

i just changed them to 185/65R14 Goddyear eagle NCT5 - on neo alloys...the whole car has changed in dynamics.

though i was suggested to go for low profile tyres and a smaller od for a more sporty feel, i decided to keep the tyre od the same - now the car with the alloys looks super macho.

the tyres have got great grip and feel - but i think they are a little noisy - maybe my imagination...

fiiat is going to change to euro 3 norms in the conventinal way - by adding filters and other traps to the engine/exhaust system ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks