Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 12:29   #1
BHPian

My Fabia 1.4 TDI Classic

It’s corrida red (should they call it Ferrari red? ).

I went to the showroom at 5:00 PM (on 7th July) with my wife and parents. Firstly I did all the required checks with the help of team-bhp check list. The sales guy did not explain me the features of the car. He was in a hurry to catch his bus at 8:00 PM to his home town. I wasn’t comfortable with this. Finally after all the formalities, my father received the keys. Gurudev motors also presented a beautiful flower bouquet and an imported chocolate box. I presented two boxes of rich plum cake to the sales guy and came out at around 7:00 PM.

I took the car to the “bodyguard” Muneeswarar temple near Central Station. On the way, during a lane change, I wrongly pushed the wiper switch instead of the indicator. Both the front and rear wipers started working and a front wiper got stuck with the decorative ribbon. I don’t know how to stop that. So parked the car, removed the ribbon and some how switched off both the wipers. It was an annoying experience.

The “bodyguard” Muneeswarar is a local “Kaaval deivam” (Literally means Protector God). It looked like a family run temple. I paid Rs. 120 to a lady in the temple and her men decorated the car with sandal drawing, garlanded the car and did the pooja. After pooja I went back home.

Next day morning we started at 6:00 AM and headed to my hometown Udumalpet near Coimbatore. Route: Chennai – Kanchipuram – Thiruvannamalai – Villupuram – Trichy – Dindigul – Palani – Udumalpet. It was approx. 650 KMs trip in 21 hours. I took this route to visit few temples on the way. The Villupuram to Trichy is one hell of a stretch. The mileage I got was around 16.5 KMPL (blame it on the bad roads).

Had multiple short trips to the near by places like Marayur, topslip, Coimbatore …

Finally returned to Chennai via Tiruppur – Perundurai – Bavani – Mettur – Thoppur – Dharmapur – Krishnagiri - Vellore – Chennai. This was a 550 KMs trip and I got 18.3 KMPL.

At the end of the 6th day I have covered 2020 KMs.

I have listed my dislikes below. Because this list is limited. I will use separate posts for the features I like in my Fabia.

1. Till now the cars I have driven (HM’s, maruti’s, tata’s, hyundai’s …) had indicator switch to the right side of the steering wheel. In Fabia it’s the wiper switch. Every now and then I’m switching on the wipers instead of the indicators. I’m still not used to this.

2. The sudden rush of turbo power is annoying in heavy traffic situations. All of a sudden it picks up very quickly. But this issue is in all turbo diesels. So have to live with it.

3. The position of the reverse gear is another issue for me. Normally when I slot in the first gear, I push the gear knob little down (my own fashion). If I do the same in Fabia, it will move backwards. Already did it few times but realized before any mess.

4. Though the fifth passenger got a 3 point seat belt, the rear seat is not wide enough for 3 passengers.

I will post the pics soon. I have to buy cells for my digi-cam and then wash the car.

Regards
Mahesh
Old 15th July 2008, 13:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

It looks like the Fabia club is constantly growing.
You got good fuel efficiency considering the bad roads..

Would love to hear more about the car specially the ride quality and handling with full load of 4-5 passengers.
Old 15th July 2008, 13:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats MadRash on your new purchase and as aaggoswami mentioned the Fabia club is slowly catching up. Do post the pics of your ride and have a safe drive.
Old 15th July 2008, 13:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
Till now the cars I have driven (HM’s, maruti’s, tata’s, hyundai’s …) had indicator switch to the right side of the steering wheel. In Fabia it’s the wiper switch.
The idea is that while driving you will not remove your right hand from the steering to give indicator.
Old 15th July 2008, 14:05   #5
BHPian

Congrats mahes for the new ride!
Old 15th July 2008, 14:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats mate.

A few pics posted would definitely be welcome.
Old 15th July 2008, 21:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well congrats on the car mate
for the gear, the turbo and the wiper / lights , it may take some time.
I have get well adjusted to it now on my vRs.!
Congrats again and waiting to see some pictures.
Old 15th July 2008, 21:52   #8
BHPian

Congratulations on your car...2000 kms in 6 days... its sure makes sense that you bight the diesel... and those are some really good FE figures.

Cheers!
Old 15th July 2008, 22:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the new purchase. However, it would have been nicer if you had dwelled a bit on how you felt the performance of the car.
Old 15th July 2008, 23:09   #10
BHPian

Congrats, Madrash! i feel the red is the best color in Fabia! it looks just like a mini cooper in it! sporty! ready to go, kinda! If only it had a faster beating heart!
Old 16th July 2008, 13:22   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good initial report. Congratulations on the car, MadRash. Pictures, as well as another report once you complete a 1000 kms, would be appreciated.

Drive safe.

Quote:
I went to the showroom at 5:00 PM (on 7th July) with my wife and parents. Firstly I did all the required checks with the help of team-bhp check list. The sales guy did not explain me the features of the car. He was in a hurry to catch his bus at 8:00 PM to his home town.
And you went in the evening! Its best to take delivery in the morning or in the afternoon.
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
It’s corrida red (should they call it Ferrari red? ).

I took the car to the “bodyguard” Muneeswarar temple near Central Station.

Mahesh: Congrats and a lovely report you've got going. I'm glad you inducted her into your family's stables after the propah Blessings.

Drive safe.

Rajeev
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Till now the cars I have driven (HM’s, maruti’s, tata’s, hyundai’s …) had indicator switch to the right side of the steering wheel. In Fabia it’s the wiper switch. Every now and then I’m switching on the wipers instead of the indicators. I’m still not used to this.
I saw the same thing in the spark. I guess it happens when the cars are converted to LHD in a haste

Quote:
2. The sudden rush of turbo power is annoying in heavy traffic situations. All of a sudden it picks up very quickly. But this issue is in all turbo diesels. So have to live with it.
You must be the first person i know who finds the turbo rush annoying !
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
You must be the first person i know who finds the turbo rush annoying !

In a bumper to bumper traffic, if your car surges all of a sudden, you might hit the vehicle in front. That's the only annoying thing. Otherwise in the highway it's a real fun.

Regards
Mahesh
Old 27th July 2008, 20:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:

In a bumper to bumper traffic, if your car surges all of a sudden, you might hit the vehicle in front. That's the only annoying thing. Otherwise in the highway it's a real fun.

Regards
Mahesh
Hi Mahesh - One quick check, in real bumper to bumper traffic, does the vehicle gain enough RPM for the turbo to kick in? More so in a Fabia is that really a problem? I would imagine in a Verna this could still be an initial problem (till one gets accustomed), but in Fabia..? Do let us know if you continue to observe this discomfort, could be an interesting inputs for prospective buyers, particularly those intending to shift from Petrol cars.

Regards
Chitbhanu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks