Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 17:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Any day, Any time, Any Where i would go with The King - Tata Safari

As other TBHPians said, never try a vehicle on a TD vehicle as it would have been used by many drivers who woul not be handling it properly.

Myself before booking a vehicle i did my TD at 3 showrooms and in 2 showrooms the vehicle were utter nonsense, the 3rd vehicle which i drove was really amazing and did 160kmph on the highway.

Now i own a Tata Safari Vx 2.2 and drive even in the city and cruise easily without any problems, but at 12.35L this is the best SUV you can get anywhere.

What say guys ???????
Old 18th July 2008, 19:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Mods it is better to merge this thread with other threads because many threads are there already on the same issues, same things are coming up again and again it is just meaningless.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand it.

A young gentleman test drives a vehicle, posts a detailed review of his Test Drive. While doing so, he says few things, which irks brand/vehicle lovers and suddenly all hell breaks loose with pro/anti comments.

Common guys! Let him say what he has to, based on his drive. Don't hijack his thread.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:35   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post

Now i own a Tata Safari Vx 2.2 and drive even in the city and cruise easily without any problems, but at 12.35L this is the best SUV you can get anywhere.

What say guys ???????
no actually outside india im pretty sure you could get better suvs for Rs12.35l
Old 18th July 2008, 21:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
I'm all excited about the GV. 13 KMPL is great, I
According to various roadtest reports, GV has one of the most pathetic fuel efficiency at around 7-8 in the city and bellow 10 KMPL on highway.
Old 18th July 2008, 22:03   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Any day, Any time, Any Where i would go with The King - Tata Safari

As other TBHPians said, never try a vehicle on a TD vehicle as it would have been used by many drivers who woul not be handling it properly.

Myself before booking a vehicle i did my TD at 3 showrooms and in 2 showrooms the vehicle were utter nonsense, the 3rd vehicle which i drove was really amazing and did 160kmph on the highway.

What say guys ???????
A well built car would do well even if its a TDS car. It should not be that you need luck to get a good "piece".
Old 18th July 2008, 22:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
According to various roadtest reports, GV has one of the most pathetic fuel efficiency at around 7-8 in the city and bellow 10 KMPL on highway.
Can you post a source for these roadtests? We have our very own Sudev who has posted that he managed to achieve 13kmpl on the highway in his GV and for a relatively long distance (4xx kms. Faridabad to Chandigarh).
Old 19th July 2008, 07:25   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Can you post a source for these roadtests? We have our very own Sudev who has posted that he managed to achieve 13kmpl on the highway in his GV and for a relatively long distance (4xx kms. Faridabad to Chandigarh).
I am not doubting Sudevs word that he has managed to achieve this figure but I still find it extremely difficult to believe that such a large petrol engined vehicle will regularly return such figures.

In Bangalore citys traffic conditions our Accord 2.4 MT returns 5.5-6, Lancer returns 7.2-8 and mind you these are cars which are perfectly maintained. For example on a drive to Pondy my Lancer gave 15 so its just an indication of how bad traffic is in this city - I would expect in Bangalore at least the GV to give at best 7.5.

See this link:

Fuel Consumption: Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 (A) 2007

The FE will of course be worse on our roads.
Old 19th July 2008, 09:54   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
... but I still find it extremely difficult to believe that such a large petrol engined vehicle will regularly return such figures.
Fully with you. Driving GV on normal highway runs I get e between 10.5 to 11.5 depending on how I am driving and city (Delhi with all its chaos) will give 9-10 FE. A/c always on. The only time I have got FE of 8+ was when I drove a really high speed run regularly pushing 160 and actually ending up doing average of 110km/hour for a long drive on NH15.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2008 at 23:53. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 19th July 2008, 10:00   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Going through the web link by deepakrao reveals FE average for all users 9.6km/lt What I feel is that GV suffers from FE hangover of its meanest V6 ancestor which indeed returned FE ~~6.
Old 19th July 2008, 14:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Here is one such test report

:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

It says 'Owing to its heavy off-road gear, the Vitara returned a disappointing 6.7kpl in the city and 9.5kpl on the highway.'
Old 17th August 2008, 16:28   #42
BHPian

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been able to reply to this thread as often as I could.
My time has been taken up by work, investments, and my tiresome car hunt!

Well let me shed some light on my TD of the Suzuki GV 2.0...

The car was supposed to reach my house at 10 AM on that Sunday morning. I am up and ready by 9:30 AM, eagerly awaiting the salesman's call...10:10 AM and still no call? Finally check my phone to see that Airtel had no signal . Quickly I restart my phone only to notice 3 new messages. All from the salesman, he had been waiting accross the street since 9:50.

One of my best friends from the states happens to be staying with me at the time. I scream out to him and kick him out of bed...It's 10:15 AM and he's still sleeping. Doesn't he know that what may be waiting down accross the street may be my future car? Finally I'm able to drag him with me. Run down to the landing...there she is, 10 meters away...beautiful in black.

Okay then time to get into the cockpit.
I turn the key and the engine starts. You can't hear but a purr of the engine, such is Japanese engineering. Alright so I calmly adjust all the mirrors, and drive into my appartment complex. Wait at the porch and call my dad. As usual he promises to come fast, but get caught in some business calls. Oh well being rebellious as I am, I start off the TD without him. Drive it around my neighbourhood, and well this thing can handle! Wow the 2,0 is underpowered for such a big car, but hey when you can move that thing around like a low slung sports car with minimal body roll, that's a cruiser!

I return to my home after 20 or 25 minutes. Dad is waiting at the porch, as usual on the phone. I then have to humbly request him to take time out to examine and admire what I have sought after for so long. Ok then he starts off with the questions. How big, How much, What speed, What engine, Petrol or Diesel....Wait a min what?
Most people would dread buying such a big car with a petrol engine. But no, not my dad! The salesman replies "Sir it's a 2.0 petrol, but but sir good FE for a 4X4"

Dad: "Petrol great what did you say about FE? Oh nevermind chalo let's try this baby out"

All the while I'm stuck wondering why am I worried about fuel costs if dad isn't?!? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Oh well he drives the GV. We take it to the highway, and take turns behind the wheel. I now want to see the ability to overtake and what kind of speeds it can achieve. Turn on the O/D WOW shifting at over 6K rpm, sounds great! Dad likes it too...

Ok I'm in love with the car, it's perfect for me, and well I can always get aftermarket leather upholstery...

We reach home again...Now it hits my dad that this isn't really a full blown SUV. He finally heads to the rear and opens the boot.

Dad: "What? Girish this thing has less boot space than your Corolla! Hell I think the City can fit more crap in the back than this thing!"

Me: "Dad see I don't really need a boot, I can manage, we have other cars for that"

Dad: "BS if we get an SUV we'll be using it for family trips as well. I can't keep using extra cars................[long lecture on how I'm wasting cash by taking multiple cars to the same spot etc...]"

We bid adieu to the salesman and the other staff who came with the car.

Summary of the Suzuki GV
+ Pros
Very comfortable and supportive seats
Enough legroom for a big guy like me
Great and clear instrument cluster
Great view as attributed to the large mirrors and compact proportions
Decent sound system
Full time 4X4 and capable off roader with a full low range box

- Cons
NO LEATHER!!! Not even as an option
TD car was an automatic [Bored of slushboxes]
Car is rather small, interior space similar to that of my Corolla
PRICE

Dad then says sell the Corolla and buy the new 4X4 CR-V. Ofcourse I think the new CR-V looks horrible, is overpriced and well I do kinda like my Corolla, very reliable and cheap to maintain...but makes me feel old when I drive!

So I wouldn't like to get rid of it...So now I begin my search for a 2006 Honda CR-V.....Spent a long time searching for one, and finally found a few with low milage and in good condition...Great

Meanwhile my driver manages to reverse my car into a pillar. Yes A PILLAR!!! the only bleeding pillar supporting a lamp in the middle of an open lot! My bumper has gone to the dogs!

So my complaining self, I went and nagged my dad saying I don't want the Corolla any more and that I needed something newer and better...

Like any father, he got irritated with all the constant nagging that he decided to end it all!

Dad: "That's it stop whining! What do you want from me? Ok we haven't found a CR-V fine, take the Accord for a few days..."

I have a 2004 2.4 MT, Golden. I was never allowed to drive this car earlier, and believe it or not despite owning it have sat in it maybe 2-3 times total since 04...[Hence the speech about taking multiple cars to the same location]

Well long story short, I love the Accord and now am blaming my dad for not giving it to me in the first place...It's my car now as I have stolen both keys and my dad will not get it back...Now all I can think about it what I can get done to it..FFE, Filter...what else

Still on the look out for an 06 CR-V please let me know if any of you know of any...But sadly it'll have to be for my dad, I like the accord way too much now [wonder how long this will last]

Cheers
Girish

Last edited by DocG : 17th August 2008 at 16:32.
Old 18th August 2008, 22:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Dad: "Petrol great what did you say about FE? Oh nevermind chalo let's try this baby out"
Girish, given that you have such a pampering dad and things like you are not bothered about FE etc, you should definitely not be looking at Safari. Safari is a more of a budget vehicle for somebody who needs big space and little off roading. I dont think VX is value for money. Also, Tata quality is nowhere comparable to Toyota/Honda or even Hyundai either in the fit and finish or reliability/driveability.
Dude, go for something like CR-V and save yourself all the TATA troubles. You can maybe even wait for the Fortuner to be launched

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2008 at 23:56. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 18th August 2008, 23:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Girish, given that you have such a pampering dad and things like you are not bothered about FE etc, you should definitely not be looking at Safari. Safari is a more of a budget vehicle for somebody who needs big space and little off roading. I dont think VX is value for money. Also, Tata quality is nowhere comparable to Toyota/Honda or even Hyundai either in the fit and finish or reliability/driveability.
Dude, go for something like CR-V and save yourself all the TATA troubles. You can maybe even wait for the Fortuner to be launched
Well to be honest he's not all that pampering...He's not willing to spend on rims and other mods, so have to come up with the money myself

Yes I told my dad about the fortuner, but Toyota has been holding that promise above us for ages now. In fact if the Fortuner was launched when it should have been, I would've never bought the Corolla!

Yes I agree about the TATA troubles that come with the car, and also understand that people spend their hard earned money on the Safari out of passion. But it surprises me that at 12.5 lakhs or whatever the VX isn't worth it! I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Innova is better than the Safari [Owing to the fact that 99% of SUV drivers don't use their vehicles for Off Roading]

Well honestly at that price point I would've rather considered the Civic or the Cedia.
OT: I never bothered to compare earlier, but since I was car hunting recently, I compared the Civic to the Corolla. The Corolla is actually better value, the Civic seems a little cheap, door handles, dash etc...The Corolla feels more luxo except the leather seats are nicer in the Civic..

cheers:
G
Old 19th August 2008, 00:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congrats DocG, for your new ride.

Hey that was a super touchy end to the TD report specially the bit where you stole 2 keys etc etc. WOW

i remember doing a similar thing once i was in 5th standard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks