Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 20:17   #31
BHPian

Hi, about the seat covers. Since you got beige interiors, fabric might be hard to find. My dealer sources the fabric ones from a local vendor, and was able to stitch one with the specifications i had asked for. You can possibly inquire with your dealer on this. By the way, i got this done as part of the freebees, as cash discount was not entertained by them
Old 2nd August 2008, 09:35   #32
adc
Senior - BHPian

Enjoyed reading this truly engrossing ownership report, let the kms flow now without hesitation. and definitely that is a good new design from Aura.

Another big positive is the very good flexible loan that you got, a 7-year loan for a Safari is rarity, normally banks dont allow for a Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
Lastly, I need to get some kind of lock for the spare wheel. Else somebody could just unscrew the damn thing and carry it away. Any suggestions?
Just put a simple lock through lug nut, tapered one and with a hole in it, of the spare wheel.
Old 2nd August 2008, 11:06   #33
BHPian

Congratulations!! The beast looks cool. Your thread has added to my confidence and I must say all the Safari threads are helping me take the final call. Like you, I never even considered going for an SUV, but now I am very tempted.

Safari owners in Mumbai, could you please recommend a good, reliable dealer? I was talking to Wassan motors in Borivili. I live in Goregaon.
Old 2nd August 2008, 11:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Congrats - that is a HUGE/MASSIVE upgrade and you definitely deserve the stares you get in the office parking lot.

Hope the truck doesnt stay in the parking lot, though - it really needs to see some dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
Granted I cant make other cars disappear in the rear view mirrors, burn rubber on corners and all.
Just give yourself some time to get acquainted with your truck. Then you will do all of the above and more.
Old 2nd August 2008, 14:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! Welcome to the club.

Nice color choice and alloys. Waiting for seat color pix once you get it done

SBI or its state conterpart rules! I took from SBI; got it arranged in less than 24 hours!

I have seen SUV with lock for spare wheel.

You saw OE mudflap for rear? Will suggest that you get one else rough roads can cause paint chip off in long run.
Old 2nd August 2008, 15:46   #36
BHPian

Congratulations DaiusPitar. A really big leap M800 to a Safari and petrol to diesel.

As somebody said it is pouring Safaris round here. At this rate, it is well on its way to becoming the highest selling SUV (in its class)

Very nice colour (BUT it was my better half's 2nd choice) and very well matched selection of alloys. You wife does have a eye for such things.

I have still not decided on alloys. But I also like the OEM ones.

You are the only other person who has liked HuperOptik Sunfilm. I have them on my vehicle. Their ceramic series is really good. Use the best on the windshiled and lower grade ones on the other windows (unless money is no problem).

Congratulations again for the Vehicle and a very well written Initial ownership report.
Old 2nd August 2008, 17:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi DaiusPitar,

> got done was a reverse camera with four sensors. The brand is Red Soul.
> It gives distance measurement, and beeps if objects are too close.

You have talked about the distance measurement, but with a camera you should als be able to see what is behind you.

Great looking alloys!
Old 2nd August 2008, 18:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Its double benefit viewability with ditance indicator, else you still need to develop a judgement for only the view.

btw dp, how much did it cost ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi DaiusPitar,

You have talked about the distance measurement, but with a camera you should als be able to see what is behind you.

Great looking alloys!
Old 3rd August 2008, 02:05   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
You saw OE mudflap for rear? Will suggest that you get one else rough roads can cause paint chip off in long run.
JK, did you manage to get the ones you were looking for. I remember you telling me about the one you have but it was not of good qlty. I guess I'll pm you once i get back. i need to get for my truck too...
Bugs...
Old 3rd August 2008, 14:24   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Hi DaiusPitar,

Great looking alloys!
Rajesh,

From what I saw during my test drives of the Safari VX, the rear view camera lets you see whats behind you but since its something of a wide angle view it is difficult to gauge the distance. In fact the scary part is that the actual distance is probably much less than what it appears to be on the camera. So you would probably bang into something and then realise that you were so close. I'm not sure if any other after market camera is better. So I guess a sensor to give a sense of distance would be welcome as well.
Old 3rd August 2008, 17:04   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
Hi Daius, congrats and Welcome to the CLUB. Even I cant thank TBHP enough for making my decision butter smooth. Took about 6-7 months of convincing job before my wife would really let me spend a million rupees on my dream truck. Trust me its worth every penny.
I'm sure you have gorged thru the whole of TBHP for all threads relating to Safari. Are you planning for any additional upgrades? I too was for the VX alloys ... boy your wife has got taste. These look stunning. Hopefully I'll get my hands on alloys soon. Cant wait to get back and go for a looooong drive with family. One more thing, after i got the truck, I found myself talking less to her while driving to and from work. Driving the truck makes the world around you disappear. Tons of space and no bumping into each other while shifting gears

Enjoy the ride and ride safe.

Bugs.
I was thinking about your post. When I was searching for alloys, I found that Aura has three designs now. One is an almost copy of the OEM alloys. Another is what I have gotten. But the third might suit your truck very well. Its the OEM design with sharper lines but the colour is Hyper Silver. The OEM colour is painted silver. Check out the Hyper Silver, I am sure it will go very with white.
Old 3rd August 2008, 17:24   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Hi, about the seat covers. Since you got beige interiors, fabric might be hard to find. My dealer sources the fabric ones from a local vendor, and was able to stitch one with the specifications i had asked for. You can possibly inquire with your dealer on this. By the way, i got this done as part of the freebees, as cash discount was not entertained by them
That was a good idea. Called up the sales guy and spoke with him. He said he will take me to the people who get beige fabric covers done for the dealer. Should not cost more than 2K it seems. So I am going to check this one out. However, will be able to do it only the coming sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Enjoyed reading this truly engrossing ownership report, let the kms flow now without hesitation. and definitely that is a good new design from Aura.

Another big positive is the very good flexible loan that you got, a 7-year loan for a Safari is rarity, normally banks dont allow for a Safari.

Just put a simple lock through lug nut, tapered one and with a hole in it, of the spare wheel.
Thanks adc. Your taking your beast immediately on a long drive was an inspiration for me to do the same. I was a bit wary though after reading about the niggles that people have had. But luckily enough I have not had any so far.

Actually, SBI was the first one I tried. The others, I tried later, and werent good enough. The only one with a better deal was Bank Of Baroda. But they now provide the same only to existing customers. I dont have an account with any of these banks.

I kinda got the idea abt the lock, but cant say yes for sure

If you have done the same, mind posting a pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals View Post
Congratulations!! The beast looks cool. Your thread has added to my confidence and I must say all the Safari threads are helping me take the final call. Like you, I never even considered going for an SUV, but now I am very tempted.

Safari owners in Mumbai, could you please recommend a good, reliable dealer? I was talking to Wassan motors in Borivili. I live in Goregaon.
Hey, best of luck. Go for it. I actually test drove the safari in Mumbai in Chembur at peak hours to see if I could take it. No problems.

if you do get it, keep us all updated on workshop experiences in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Congrats - that is a HUGE/MASSIVE upgrade and you definitely deserve the stares you get in the office parking lot.

Hope the truck doesnt stay in the parking lot, though - it really needs to see some dirt.

Just give yourself some time to get acquainted with your truck. Then you will do all of the above and more.
Yup, you said it there.

Actually, I am kinda already getting acquainted with my truck. But the transition is not complete fortunately for others

On another note, your long term ownership is a boon for prospective owners. Please do keep up with it. I really would not have given my truck a serious thought if I had not chanced upon your thread first. After all, people do have a lot of pre-conceived notions, justified or not, about the safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Congrats! Welcome to the club.

Nice color choice and alloys. Waiting for seat color pix once you get it done

SBI or its state conterpart rules! I took from SBI; got it arranged in less than 24 hours!

I have seen SUV with lock for spare wheel.

Thank you JK. I agree SBI rules. Although it took me slightly more than 24 hours. But the wait was worth it. Possibly because I had no relationship with them whatsoever.

My idea behind the mudflap was the same. I think this is OEM but am somehow not happy with it. I shall try and post a pic of how it is attached when I get the time. Do confirm if its the same with you too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Congratulations DaiusPitar. A really big leap M800 to a Safari and petrol to diesel.

As somebody said it is pouring Safaris round here. At this rate, it is well on its way to becoming the highest selling SUV (in its class)

Very nice colour (BUT it was my better half's 2nd choice) and very well matched selection of alloys. You wife does have a eye for such things.

I have still not decided on alloys. But I also like the OEM ones.

You are the only other person who has liked HuperOptik Sunfilm. I have them on my vehicle. Their ceramic series is really good. Use the best on the windshiled and lower grade ones on the other windows (unless money is no problem).

Congratulations again for the Vehicle and a very well written Initial ownership report.
Thanks. Actually, our choice would have been cycus grey if we had settled for the LX. However, I didnt find it that appealing when stretched to the claddings too.

I agree with you. I am planning on the top grade for the windshield and the lower grade for the other windows. Money is the criterion here too. Unfortunately, even for this combo the package works out to 20K in Bangalore. How much is it in Pune?

Quote:
Hi DaiusPitar,

Great looking alloys!
Thanks. There is a camera too. In addition there are four sensors giving distance measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its double benefit viewability with ditance indicator, else you still need to develop a judgement for only the view.

btw dp, how much did it cost ??
The quoted price was 18000. I got it for 15500.

More than compensating for judgement, the reason why I now value this is because we never realise when there are small objects or even kids playing (as in my building) behind.
Old 3rd August 2008, 18:07   #43
BHPian

Issues and Service experience 1

Its exactly a month of ownership of the truck. The odo is above 2550 kms.

Issues prior to first service:
1) Front passenger side reading light not working
2) Single foldable seat in middle row making a lot of noise and folding on its own upon harsh breaking
3) Rear OH AC dripped water once. Switched off and restarted it after some time. Problem didnt recur.
4) Rear right side passenger door getting jammed.
5) Vehicle veered to the right upon braking. I noticed this once or twice only during return part of the trip.

I took the vehicle for first service at Concorde Motors, Chennai. The service advisor, Hari Kumar, was professional. Heard out everything properly. When I took delivery all issues were sorted out. What impressed me was the following. I had a small hand carved wooden Ganesha idol. Unfortunately, because of no grip it would keep slipping off the dash. Of their own accord, they had stuck some rubber strips to the base of the idol so that it does not slip off when the vehicle moves.

Wheel alignment was done. The SA claimed it was because of the alloys. I think its more because if the abuse the vehicle had been through.

Some beading was off its place around the rear door. This was rectified.
Also, the cleaning of the vehicle was very good. They had tried to remove most of the tar spots. The service advisor in fact pointed out the ones he could not. I had not raised this.

The overall bill came to Rs. 412/-. Only engine oil topup was charged.

Overall experience- Very Good
Old 3rd August 2008, 18:11   #44
BHPian

Issues and Service Experience 2

The first day following my return from the trip, I took the vehicle to office. Now, my office has two below surface parking floors. Mine is in the lower basement, Level 2. The problem is not with this as much as with that both the descent in to the basement as well as the ascent is in the form of a spiral staircase almost. Most new drivers end up scraping their vehicles. I had noticed 3 other safaris being taken in to the parking. So I didnt think I should have a problem with the turning radius.

But was I wrong. A bit through the descent, I realised I couldnt. I had to pull the handbrake, change to reverse, hold the clutch to raise the revs, release the handbrake and reverse back up a bit before I had enough space to turn in to the basement. I had a similar experience while taking out of the basement parking. Of course that was easier. Man, was I unnerved. I was kind of proud, at least a wee bit, of my driving judgement. I blamed the turning radius of the vehicle. But I was kind of curious how the other safaris managed it. Anyways, parked in the surface after that.

The next day I get a call from Concorde. Seems my vehicle too needs the damper pulley changed. I was surprised. I thought that was only for old batches. Not so I was told.

So that weekend I take the vehicle to the Hosur road workshop. The SA here was an enthusiastic bugger, Anil Kumar.

I also had a suspicion that I was getting some funny noise from the steering when I go over bumps. So I mentioned that to him. We go for a test drive. He confirms the noise and says it is because of a loose pin in the steering idling arm. I dont know what that means. But I was happy that I had noticed something unusual. He then tries to turn around and fails at the first time. He is surprised and takes it for another spin and turn. This time he looks at me. 'Sir, your turning radius has to be increased by at least 15 degrees, I think 20 degrees without checking it. You drove all this distance and didnt feel that?' I was like, well, I knew the turning radius is less and I thought thats how its to be. Heart of heart, I was happy, it wasnt my judgement that failed me in the basement!!

I return to pick up the vehicle in the evening. Washing has again been top class. EVerything sorted out. Took it for a spin, the turning is almost like a car now I say.

This SA points out all the tar spots that have been removed completely by them. And this guy has joined his counterpart in Chennai. Since my floor mats keeping moving about, they had taken the initiative to kind of pin the thing to a bit of the plastic cover near the seat. This I notice on the way back when I am wondering why the floor mat isnt irritating me anymore.

I give the service an excellent rating, till I notice a bit of the paint, around a cm. of it has chipped off the drivers side door handle. Profuse apologies follow, the service manager too comes. They run back and do a brush touchup of the area. Am fine. Their attitude has impressed me. So am more than willing to be pacified.

Bill amount: Rs. 0/-

Unfortunately, I notice that the truck feels a bit sluggish after this damper pulley job. Keep at it for a week, and the feeling is the same. I call up the SA and inform him. They send a driver to pick up the vehicle. They send back the vehicle in the evening. It seems the change job was fine, timing is fine. They have checked all the hoses and tightened all connectors and pins. They did notice a choke in the air filter and have cleaned it. But they are unable to point their hand at anything. In the evening, after all this
they claim my 2.2 is in fact performing better than two others with them currently. I test drive for the next days and confirm their view. The vehicle feels better. But even the SA and the manager does not know why! Am not complaining.

Am I satisfied? Yes, the two service experiences with Concorde, at Chennai and at Bangalore, has been professional and courteous. Its the attitude that counts I suppose.
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:45   #45
BHPian

Posted my travelogue on the maiden long trip in the safari at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-2100-kms.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks