Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2008, 16:20   #1
BHPian

Chevy Optra Magnum LS TDCi Cashmere EDIT: Got Delivery

Hi Folks,
After a lot of research, numerous test drives, and reviews thanks to Team BHP I decided to get myself a Chevy Optra Magnum LS TDCi.

The main critera I had in mind for a new car were:
1. Performance - I own a Ford Ikon 1.6ZXI and the Ikons performance was the bench mark. I had to have a drivers car.
2. Good looks - interior and exterior
3. SPACE and Comfort - I am 6'2" and my Dad is the same. I didnt want to to eat into the backbenchers space
4. Diesel powered with decent FE
5. Acceptable TCO

Cars I evaluated Hyundai Verna, Ford Fiesta, Skoda Octavia and Chevy Optra.

Why did I go for Chevy Optra Magnum TDCi LS?
I visited the Sundaram Motors Show room in Chennai for a test drive and they offered me to test drive 2 optras. 1 was a brand new one and the other had done 25000km. I really appreciated this test drive offer as no other car dealer did so.
The Test drive of the new car was wow. I was amazed by the performance, ride/handling, comfort and absolute no noise in the cabin other than the air flowing through the a/c vents. Pickup was great, I was doing 80km in second gear and the handling was good. Gear
shift was very good. The Optra swallowed the potholes with ease, the independent suspensions really did what it was designe to do. It was a drivers dream. There was volumes of space in the car and rear legroom was the best of all the cars I tested.

Test Drive of the 25000KM Optra, driving this car was not different from the new one other than that it was noisier when you rolled down the windows. The performance was almost same, so was the ride and handling. I did hear or feel any unwanted rattles or vibrations.

The two test drives really gave a very good insight into the overall quality of the car. I felt it was good.

GM's Cashless ownership offer also appealed to me though I knew this was another marketing strategy. But, a lot of folks advised me to go for it.

The cost of maintenance was a lot cheaper and price of spare parts were affordable for me. I did a reality check with a few of my friends and Team BHP reviews on the maintenance costs and found that in some cases it was even cheaper than Ford Fiesta and definitely less than Octavia.

I choose the LS model because I normally drive around 50 KMs a day and very few long drives, so I didnt feel the necesity for ABS and Airbags.

Why not Octavia?
Both Optra and Octavia have their pros and cons(which I am not getting into). They have different DNA. For me it was the Price. It was not in my budget. Also the interiors of Skoda Octvia Ambient which I considered of buying was not upto my liking.

I also considered the new Ford Fiesta SX, It was pretty decent for city driving and returned good FE. Its interiors would have also put some of the luxuary cars to shame. But dropped the idea as I didnt want to go for a Ford again and again space was a major constraint.

I am supposed to take delivery of the Car next week. Will keep you posted on the same.

Team BHP folks and Chevy Optra Owner on Team BHP - Thanks for putting you reviews. It helped me zero in on my new car.
Old 31st July 2008, 16:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your booking. Optra is a great car, I have about 35000kms to prove it. Please post the on road price along with any freebies offered.
Goodluck.
Old 31st July 2008, 16:51   #3
BHPian

Congratulations on booking of Magnum. I also underwent a similar selection process like you. The TD of Magnum overwhelmed me. I have also booked a Cashmere colour Magnum LT yesterday but I will receive the car by 12 August.

We will surely share our experiences of owning a Magnum.
Old 31st July 2008, 16:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

GM has slashed the prices of spare parts. Aveo was the begenning of the procedure.
Old 31st July 2008, 16:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and welcome to GM family

How was the reception and handling in Chennai Sundaram Motors? I checked there around 2 yrs back when I was in Chennai and they were least bothered to sell any cars :(
Old 31st July 2008, 17:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats. Great car and choice of color. Enjoy the oodles of torque it develops. Please post the ownership cost and pictures too.
Old 31st July 2008, 18:22   #7
BHPian

welcome to the world of Magnums its a lovely car and you will enjoy the performance. i am sure you will soon start doing highway trips as well. Congratulations Again!!!
Old 1st August 2008, 22:21   #8
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. You are going to enjoy your ride.
Old 2nd August 2008, 12:45   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Optra Magnum suits your requirements to the T; good choice. It would be my pick over the Octavia too, what with its better engine, larger interior space and lower cost of ownership.

How about some pictures to complete your review?

Quote:
I was doing 80km in second gear
This was obviously while testing the petrol?
Old 2nd August 2008, 20:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This was obviously while testing the petrol?
Naah GTO; it does 85-90 @ 4.5K rpm in 2nd and 170 OR 165 at 4.5K rpm in the 4rth - tried and tested. Awesome for a diesel IMHO

P.S. It redlines at 4.5K though.

Last edited by beanstalk_230 : 2nd August 2008 at 20:41.
Old 2nd August 2008, 20:53   #11
BHPian

Congrats obed5579! I also checked out all the cars that you have listed (and some more!) - For your consideration and criteria, you have made the right choice of model (& even color!) - Happy riding.
I on my part decided to stay with Petrol and there the Magnum lost! Somehow both the GM dealers I checked with were only hard selling the diesel variant.
Old 2nd August 2008, 21:29   #12
BHPian

Need some information on GM's Cashless Offer for their cars. I was told by the dealer that you have to pay upfront (ithink it is Rs 26000 for Magnum) to avail this offer. Is it true or is it a totally free offer from GM?
Old 3rd August 2008, 01:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the torquemonster Obed5579!
@ Beanstalk - Someone's having fun eh??
Old 3rd August 2008, 01:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
@ Beanstalk - Someone's having fun eh??
Yea .. in fact its really a nice feeling getting over with the run in period. And yep im lovinn it all in full throttle.

P.S. Was just considering Peter's offer (Bumper) about the box on my car. Just hoping my dad gets on with it till I complete another 5 - 10K kms on my car. Would be one helluva ride after box and some other thing he mentioned would be added up.

Cheers
Old 3rd August 2008, 01:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
and some other thing he mentioned would be added up.

Cheers
What other things??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks