Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 18:22   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The three of us walked around the car and checked everything we could. There were like four of their showroom people watching us with smirks on their faces - until I pulled out the checklist. The second he saw the T-BHP on the paper, the sales dude who came with us started sweating ever so lightly. "Team BHP?" he asked. Yes went the answer.

Yep, you guys are famous!

They were much more courteous afterwards.
Classic Team-BHP Moment! I am glad that you found our checklist useful, and chose to give your car the once-over prior to delivery.

Excited?
Old 29th September 2008, 20:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Going through the whole thread, I was thinking of jmathew who took civic delivery from the same dealer with repainted but hidden condition ! He is from Trivandrum too, I dont know about the latest development, but he was running around a lot to sort out the issue but so far without any commentable result.

Please check the car all around in a cleaned condition. Minute scratches, marks, dents may not be visible even with a small layer of dust on it. Once its driven home, there is no point talking about it. Click some clear photos too from all angles before taking delivery. Might sound silly, but everything matters when you are shelling out 14 lk. These days, "customer is king" till the delivery time, later you are supposed to run around and suffer (atleast in jmathew's case).

Congrats on the nice choice ! Curious to hear about the AT experience !
Old 29th September 2008, 21:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Arun,

> A white V MT was parked beside our violet AT.

How did you like the colour? At least what you could see under all that muck?
It has this very subtle pearlescent and metallic effect that's quite mesmerizing. I liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Make Sure to do that Team-Bhp Stickering before you get the car out of the showroom , that will earn you a lot of respect

Usually the Truck wallas are the ones who unload the car from the truck and drive it into the "yard" it's their muck that you see inside the car,but if even a wee bit of watermark is found on the car , tell them to do a polish free of cost, didn't see this thread , but you could have told them that you had dropped the plans to take this car and that you are going for a Altis, then they would have given you the Reverse Sensor, Suncontrol etc also free of cost because keeping a misty violet Automatic Civic in stock is not very healthy for them. But Guess it's too late to blackmale now.
They double and triple confirmed the colour and gearbox preference before they ordered it. They did mention the problem of selling off one of these weird combos. The thought of refusing the car did cross my mind when I saw the car. But they have promised to do a full car wax polishing before delivery.

Besides, the entire stock of cars in their little lot was in pathetic condition externally. It's almost like they brought the cars in an open truck which was offroaded a good bit. Compared to how mint rohitrk's Sonata looked on unloading, the Hondas looked absolutely filthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Ask them to clean the car and then check it out again. Sometimes scratches can get easily hidden behind all that muck.

Best of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Going through the whole thread, I was thinking of jmathew who took civic delivery from the same dealer with repainted but hidden condition ! He is from Trivandrum too, I dont know about the latest development, but he was running around a lot to sort out the issue but so far without any commentable result.

Please check the car all around in a cleaned condition. Minute scratches, marks, dents may not be visible even with a small layer of dust on it. Once its driven home, there is no point talking about it. Click some clear photos too from all angles before taking delivery. Might sound silly, but everything matters when you are shelling out 14 lk. These days, "customer is king" till the delivery time, later you are supposed to run around and suffer (atleast in jmathew's case).

Congrats on the nice choice ! Curious to hear about the AT experience !
Oh I know about jmathew's experience. This is why all this business with photos, videos and multiple inspections. We very well know that the consumer is king only until the bill is settled. Dad had a bad experience with Reliance Telecom a few years ago - the case is still in court.

I'll be doing the whole thing again tomorrow under broad sunlight too. We shall see. I'll be shooting some videos with my camcorder. I'll try to upload some for T-BHPians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Classic Team-BHP Moment! I am glad that you found our checklist useful, and chose to give your car the once-over prior to delivery.

Excited?
You betcha!

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 29th September 2008 at 21:22.
Old 30th September 2008, 00:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Good Luck with the upcoming formalities Immortal! Hope everything goes well with the new car & have fun!!
Old 30th September 2008, 23:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

It is here!

Today was the big day!

We got there nice and early, at around 9:30AM. Delivery was scheduled at around 10. Dad wanted to get it officially handed over before 11 (auspicious time and all that).

At around 10:30, they brought the car up and they officially handed the keys to my Dad with a thaalam and such. Very traditional. I moved the vehicle over the lemons they kindly provided and that was that.

A sales dude went over everything (including the PDI checklist from the T-BHP) and explained to me how everything worked except for the details of the AT shift as this was the first one they were delivering and they had little to no experience on it.

The paint had plenty of swirl marks and associated dirt which they were apologetic about. I guess it is too much to expect the showroom people to wash off the particles before wiping it down. I have to go read and re-read Rudra Sir's detailing thread and go about fixing their shoddy job. The tech said there was no run in period. I later found out that Honda themselves recommend a 1000KM run in in their manual. Typical.

After the demo, they took the vehicle for fixing the reverse sensor. There was some argument between the management and the technical people about the sensor. The management wanted to let us have the car now and fix the sensor at a later date while the technical dude(tte) wanted to fix it then itself, entailing a wait of about 30 mins. We decided to wait.

Around 30-35 minutes later, the car was ready. A friend of mine had come along with me for some moral support (him being an expert driver and the keeper of an immaculately maintained Amby). We took off from the showroom at around 11:15AM or so.

The odo was at 11KM and they had provided the car with 25L of petrol. The drive to our place was uneventful. I was exploring the AT's nuances and found it hard to keep the car below 2500 RPM. One thing is for certain - it is great fun to drive.

We'll be going out tomorrow (provided shops open) to get all the bits and bobs - perfume, sunfilm, Ganesh idol and the paper towel box thingmajiggy. Cheapest high security plates were found at Rs. 1400/- for two. We'll get those fixed when our number proceedings are completed. No ICE, alloys or better tyres for now.

Unfortunately, no good pics could be taken because I was being my stupid self and forgot to take along a memory card for the camera with enough space.

The AT experience

First off, it is hard to do run in with an AT. It shifts at around 3-3.2K RPMs. But it is possible to make it shift by emulating normal gear shifts - accelerate, take your feet off your pedal and accelerate again. I found that this causes the transmission to shift up at lower RPMs.

The kickdown mode is great fun. Floor it and the transmissions shifts down and the car takes off.

I didn't use the paddles much. But they are proper paddles. I had previously thought these were push buttons from the photos on Honda's website. But there is a proper paddle shift on each side, behind the wheel. They do turn with the wheel though. Don't know how practical they will be in twisty roads.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 30th September 2008 at 23:48.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

I didn't use the paddles much. But they are proper paddles. I had previously thought these were push buttons from the photos on Honda's website. But there is a proper paddle shift on each side, behind the wheel. They do turn with the wheel though. Don't know how practical they will be in twisty roads.

The paddles are amazing. It takes a little getting used to initially but thats the only mode you will drive on later !
Old 1st October 2008, 13:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arun,

> But it is possible to make it shift by emulating normal gear shifts -
> accelerate, take your feet off your pedal and accelerate again. I found
> that this causes the transmission to shift up at lower RPMs.

If your pressure on the accelerator gentle, yur shifts will be early. Unfortunately, the gear indication works only with the paddle shifts, if I remember correctly from my test drive an year ago.

In my CVT, the highest gearing is about 250RPm for every 10 kms. That would be 1500RPM at 60kph.
Old 1st October 2008, 13:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

I have to get a hang of the shifting. I sure hope I won't ruin the run in with my inexperience. Yes, the gear indicator only shows when the shifter is in the S mode.

Uploaded pics to my garage too!
Old 1st October 2008, 13:43   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Uploaded pics to my garage too!
What colour is that, blue ?. Does Civic come in that shade ?
Old 1st October 2008, 14:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arun,

> I have to get a hang of the shifting.

You will. Give it time.

> Yes, the gear indicator only shows when the shifter is in the S mode.

There is a Gear position indicator in the dash (as seen in your pics), but the actual gear ratio is shown only in the paddle shift mode, sad!

> Uploaded pics to my garage too!

Nice.

There is 'S' mode in my CVT which gives better acceleration by holding on to the lower gears more. Then there is 'L' mode more steep climbs stc. In my trips to Munnar and Ponmudi, I was content in 'D' mode as it was shifting as and when needed. Only in the way back, did I use the 'S mode for engine braking.
Old 1st October 2008, 14:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
What colour is that, blue ?. Does Civic come in that shade ?
Misty Violet. Obviously, it does come in that shade.
Old 2nd October 2008, 00:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for the double post, but could a mod please edit the thread title to reflect the car has now been delivered?

TIA!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks