Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Driving the silver mammoth from germany (AUDI Q7)

Every dog has his day , well I have my own story to prove that adage. Let me cut the long story short . Some one in my family has got a Q7, yes am talking about Audi Q7 and not Q7 in statistics .

The day was 11th of September and the time is 19:00 IST. I had just returned from Delhi were I am doing my MBA to my housewhich is located in the southern end of India.
Well this is the scene . I was waiting for the car to arrive and through out the whole time , I have been thinking of ways to contain my excitement but sadly , all my efforts went in vain. The moment the car turned into the drive way of my house , I started running towards it and the moment the car stopped , I did the jungle dance around the car. (my relative at this moment was a bit doubtful about my mental state so he remained in the car ). Finally I calmed myself down and then he came out .
External Appearance :
The word massive aptly suits this car coz its really humungous be it length or width . The car looks every bit an Audi from front and back. Its more like a musceled limousine from the front and a sporty station wagon from the back. Looking from the sides , it’s a bit confused it has the lines of a stationwagon but it’s a bit raised like a softroader . Clearly , this car cannot be termed an SUV by the way it looks.
Interior :
All I could think of the moment I entered the cabin was ,”no wonder its 60+ lacs “ . I have sat in X5 and I have sat in the new M class , compared to the these two Q7’s cabin exudes a much better quality and class . Infact the gear lever felt more of like that belonged to cockpit of a MIG than an SUV .
The midrow seats are great when it comes to space , you can completely relax yourself in any position . Perfect for long drives . The only gripe I felt was that the seats cushion felt a tad hard for comfort nevertheless the ergonomics of the seats are spot on . You get the right amount of support from them .
At night it’s a real treat to watch to see the instrument panel . It lights up like café morisson . Not too bright but at the same time it creates a nice classy ambience . Infact when I was driving it , it was quite late in the night and I had taken “Linkin park – Crawling “ with me along and it was a great pleasure listeneing to that song . The place was just right .
Perfomance :
Frankly I cant comment anything too technical about this side , but I will try to put the whole experience as well as I can.
Well the car was in park. I started the car . The note from the engineat low rpms’s is not exactly what can make your mind gushing . No sign of power or liveliness anywhere . Infact I was a bit disappointed. After that I gave a bit of throttle,hmmm.. its getting different . It was time to try the big mammoth !
Shifted the car from P to R . Wow ! the feeling was exactly how a gun gets loaded. The whole car gently shook a bit , I was nervous about that experience coz I had no idea how its gonna respond to my way of throttle. So I was very careful while reversing . Got the car out of my drive way , shifted the gear to D and then slowly and steadily pushed down the throttle a bit. The silver mammoth gained momentum like an AIRBUS , Slowly and steadily . The whole car shrank around me when I started driving it. Infact its better than a Prado in this aspect though this feeling can be subjective. In a few minutes I was out of the traffic in an open stretch. Got a clean view of nearly 800mts in front of me ,its almost like steering an AIRBUS to a take off ! To spice the whole experience further , I shifted the gear to manual mode . From then on all you gotta do is tap the gear lever up to shift up and down to shift down . Now the speedo is reading 20 , RPM is reading 2600 and …......
In the name of father and the son and the holy spirit ! hear I go.
I floored the accelerator . Things started going scarily fast at the same time in the cabin everything seemed normal and calm and composed .The RPM reached the limit , (+) one more gear and the mammoth really started gaining some solid momentum. Its getting faster and faster and faster .Soon I was doing some good speed and then had to brake hard once(thanks to a blind u turn by an auto wala) and the feeling inside the cabin was very smooth and reassuring for the passengers. Got one more clean stretch and had some minutes in the XXX digit territory.
It was a great experience driving the car in the night , I wouldn’t have enjoyed the same way in the morning coz the cabin ambience is really great in the night.
I thank god for giving me this day to spend some time with the four overlapping clrcle.
PS : The views are purely subjective though am open to my views. Would be grateful if someone could add something to this.Will be adding pics soon.
Old 22nd September 2008, 19:01   #2
BHPian

Hey joe was wondering, what took you so long to get behind the 3.0 diesel.Anyways a diffrent experince altogether right??..
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pictures

PS : Sorry for the picture quality . Light conditions weren't helping either.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving the silver mammoth from germany (AUDI Q7)-13.jpg  

Driving the silver mammoth from germany (AUDI Q7)-1.jpg  

Driving the silver mammoth from germany (AUDI Q7)-10.jpg  

Driving the silver mammoth from germany (AUDI Q7)-11.jpg  

Driving the silver mammoth from germany (AUDI Q7)-2.jpg  

Driving the silver mammoth from germany (AUDI Q7)-4.jpg  

Driving the silver mammoth from germany (AUDI Q7)-5.jpg  

Driving the silver mammoth from germany (AUDI Q7)-3.jpg  

maxbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:32   #4
BHPian

Hey, you did justice to your signature. I know you are madly in love with the "Other" German marque, so this is a new crush heh?

One of my good friends here is planning to buy one, now I have enough to motivate him.

Wishing you a lot more such days!!!
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:37   #5
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th November 2008 at 15:09.
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice, Joe! It must have been some experience!
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, you drove in Delhi. I thought you drove the Q7 FROM Germany to India, lol.

Sounds like fun anyways
Old 23rd September 2008, 17:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow man!! You had one lucky day i swear. Wonderful machine and the pics quality ain't that bad either. Wishing you many more such days where you get to drive such beauties
Old 23rd September 2008, 17:39   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I also thought the same. Nice read.
Old 23rd September 2008, 17:50   #10
BHPian

nice writeup. you should take this car long distance. and thats when you seriously get a complete feel of the car. a really nice driver car. btw i was wondering when you went to Germany and got the car down from there! THAT would have been some experience !!
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:15   #11
BANNED

You were driving from Germany!
That's the impression I got when I saw the title.

Nice driving impression there, Max! Keep it up.
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow.. My dream vehicle.. Wish someday i could drive one.
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

"Driving the silver mammoth from germany", I thought it would be a thread that would describe a month long driving experience with 100s of photos of different countries ! But sadly, its as quick as a beer ! Nice read though !
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Hey, you did justice to your signature. I know you are madly in love with the "Other" German marque, so this is a new crush heh?

One of my good friends here is planning to buy one, now I have enough to motivate him.

Wishing you a lot more such days!!!
This really was something. Thanks dude. nice to know about your friend's plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
there's one nyyyyeeeessssh machine!
It definitely is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Sounds like fun anyways
No sir , I was in gods own country.Mistake , I meant the german silver mammoth .
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Nice, Joe! It must have been some experience!
Yes it is , Am reading your trutech stuff. Good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Wow man!! You had one lucky day i swear. Wonderful machine and the pics quality ain't that bad either. Wishing you many more such days where you get to drive such beauties
Yes it was one lucky day for me. Thanks for the wishes. I hope it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I also thought the same. Nice read.
Thanks sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A S H V I N View Post
nice writeup. you should take this car long distance. and thats when you seriously get a complete feel of the car. a really nice driver car. btw i was wondering when you went to Germany and got the car down from there! THAT would have been some experience !!
Hello ashvin , nice to hear from you. Well sorry for the grammatical error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
You were driving from Germany!
That's the impression I got when I saw the title.
Nice driving impression there, Max! Keep it up.
Well again sorry for the grammatical error. and thanks for the complement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Wow.. My dream vehicle.. Wish someday i could drive one.
U should and I guess you will soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
"Driving the silver mammoth from germany", I thought it would be a thread that would describe a month long driving experience with 100s of photos of different countries ! But sadly, its as quick as a beer ! Nice read though !
Sorry again for the grammatical error. It was just a 30 Km drive in my hometown but that infact was great.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow, nice test report Joe. Great job man. Congrats

I got the car, is the owner your relative? If so on looks, I just have a suggession, the stock wheel should be changed, let him opt for any other deisgn on same size if he don't want to increase the size.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks